Reading Order

I don't know where to start. Should I just once read the whole thing cover to cover or is there a particular reading plan with which to read the Individual books? Help! I have been raised liberal without any religious guidance. I must find my way back to god. I have lost any real connection to the outside world and am about to join an orthodox church. Pls help.

Attached: 1560316877740.jpg (360x450, 127.83K)

Other urls found in this thread:

newadvent.org/fathers/0714.htm.
vatican.va/archive/ENG0015/_INDEX.HTM
archive.org/details/artofprayer00igum/page/282
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Begin with the Gospel of Matthew and read the Didache newadvent.org/fathers/0714.htm. Focus on and do what you can understand, the rest will come later. God bless user

Gospels -> Acts -> Epistles -> Pentateuch -> Rest

Don't read the Bible, I would start with the Catechism of the Catholic Church

vatican.va/archive/ENG0015/_INDEX.HTM

Attached: catechism-of-the-catholic-church-200.jpg (200x302, 17.17K)

Read the Catechism of the Catholic Church's Compendium; then read Ludwig Ott's Fundamentals of Catholic Dogma.

You can get these from CBD.com

You will be well rounded in your knowledge of the faith. All you'd have to do is go get baptized, confirmed, confessed, and receive holy communion.

I'd avoid the bible for now or you'll end up founding your own sect, if not outright, then at least in your head; this tends to happen.

Attached: onionmagazine_1020article.jpg (457x584, 113.83K)

This. The beauty of the Catholic faith is that we have the Pope and all the bishops who are experts on the Bible and the Faith along with eons of history starting with our first Pope St. Peter, so no need to read the Bible for yourself or you'll end up finding your own sect. The Church is infallible.

Would it actually be a good idea to read the bible itself in one take first? I don't even know if they have these books at my local library.

So will the Catechism of the Catholic Church leave out the major parts of the old testament and focus more on practical appliances?
I am even more confused now.

Attached: 0e8.jpg (1024x595, 64.43K)

wrong pic

Attached: 1516159142268.png (499x513, 283.15K)

All those books are in the Bible, you library certainly has a translation of the Bible, many in fact

I certainly am stupid.
Sorry

Attached: brainlet.png (483x480, 150.19K)

Just join your local Catholic Church and they'll take care of everything for you

But I intend to join the orthodox church

When I converted I read the whole bible from start to finish (well, I listened to an audio version. ) It took several months. It was a great experience and I recommend it if you feel that's how you want to approach it. It's a sure way of understanding the biblical timeline and the history of the world. The old testament is very important and if you really want to read the NT sooner than later I would still suggest reading Genesis first. If you can take away from Genesis you can take away from everything else.
Also yes the catechism is a great book to read but personally I didn't read it until a while after finishing the bible. It is a compilation of the doctrines of the catholic church decided by the councils. You can also just read the church fathers instead.
t. Catholic

I guess I will read it in one go firstly and then maybe in suggested order more excessively with notes and stuff

Just join your local Orthodox Church and they'll take care of everything for you. Just make sure you ask and do what they tell you.

The truth is you do not find the book you read.
The book finds you! When there comes a time for you to read a particular book you will pick her up. The "schemes" or "orders" are good as far as to get you the outline what interests you.
From my experience I tried to read a particular book a year ago. I paused it and I read the whole thing right now. Really to me it seems that each book finds me, somehow I just know that right now I want to read the book.

As far as Scripture is concerned You may go cover to cover but I would combine it with daily readings according to the calendar. That way you get the most of it.
Then after going through it all go for individual books in there, re reading it

To answer your question, op, start with the new testament, then the old. The reason for this is because the new testament is about how Jesus has saved us, and then the old will give you the reasons for why we know He is the messiah (all the prophecies He fulfilled). Pray that the Holy Spirit may guide your understanding and you won't be led astray.
Matthew 21:22

Lol bruh

Either start with the Gospels and read the whole NT, or read a segments of the OT according to their groupings (ie Genesis - Deuteronomy, Joshua - 2 Maccabees, Job - Sirach, Isaiah - Daniel, or Hosea - Malachi)

This has to be a troll larping as catholic. No actual Catholic would ever say this or discourage reading scripture. We literally have scripture read on a daily basis in the Missal, so this person is either a troll or new and either way is an idiot.

Start with the Gospels. Then read Acts. Then read Genesis and Exodus, then skip Leviticus, Numbers and Deuteronomy and then read the rest of the Old Testament in order. Then go through the entire New Testament. After that, feel free to read from cover to cover.

Why?
The old law is important to understand our faith and how it differs from the old laws of Israel. Christ is proclaimed in the OT, and so all of it should be read to see how it reflects the eventual coming of the Messiah.

I would begin with the Pentatuch (Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, Deuteronomy) and then go to the Gospels and the Acts and Letters. This will give you a good foundation for understanding Christianity. Once that's done, I'd recommend reading the rest bit by bit while also reading theological books to understand how the Church applies sacred text and sacred tradition to create its dogma. As a Catholic I sympathize with Orthodox but I believe in the primacy of the Pope and the miracles attesting to the Roman Catholic Church being the one true Church. As such, I recommend also studying Marian apparitions, papal encyclicals, as well as the Summa Theologica. Good luck user I'm glad you're converting to the Lord.

The Old Law is important, but it also seems to present a stumbling block to many unprepared readers. It's better to read those books after you've read the rest of Scripture, so that you can view them in the context of Christ's love.

I would also add to this the Catechism of the Council of Trent as a superb summation of the Church's most fundamental beliefs, especially those stated in the Apostle's Creed.

I understand the issue of people holding the old laws in too great of authority and viewing them as contradictory of the church (though one could argue that that's the whole point of the NT) I just think the reason should have been laid out is all. I don't disagree that it can lead to confusion however.

Only qualified individuals annointed by God can read the Bible, which means your priest or above. Also, the OP said he was new and last thing you want is for him to go out and start another sect. Jesus said that either your for Him or against Him, so if you're not part of the Church then you are lost. This includes Easthern Orthodox and Protties who have no regard for God's Church.

This is part of the reason I detest my own Church. Thankfully this person isn't the pope spouting their opinion, even if they think it's right, Catholics can have other views. Read the scripture daily and pray for enlightenment OP.

Oh really, just like the pro-abortion Catholics?

No. You say a prayer for the holy spirits guidance and then you read the bible. I don't know who taught you otherwise if you aren't just a troll, but they're wrong. As someone who came to Catholicism through the bible I'm disappointed at your lack of understanding of this topic to be honest.

Orthos are hetrodoxical, not heretical btw.

Any christian who is pro-abortion isn't a christian. Like I said, there are multiple correct and incorrect interpretations of scripture. Hence every homily isn't just verbatim repetition.

With brethren like this Belial has already won

At least recommend a good catechism, like the catechism of Trent

seriously?

I may be Catholic but I would suggest you get a study bible. It will give you historical context, interpretations of scripture, and explanations for specific books and parts of the Bible. This is probably the best thing for a lost reader such as yourself.

Read whatever parts intrigue you the most, but remember that the further you go to the end, the more sections will reference context from earlier parts of the scripture.

That's the order I'd go with too. Read the New Testament first, in order, then the Old Testament. And then, it wouldn't be a bad idea to go through the New Testament again, specially John and Revelations, but that's up to you.
There's a YouTube Channel called "The Bible Project" that may be a good aid in understanding what you read. Don't feel ashamed if you read diagonally all the parts in the Old Testament that are about not eating shrimp and building a big tent next to the Sinai. Keep always in mind that the OT has to be read under the light of the NT. And the Bible is not a cooking book, is not a set of instructions, so don't read it as such. Try to understand the deeper meaning, not just extract a series of guidelines.

I am very thankful for those helpful answers.
I guess the new teatament is the way to go first then to get a grip on the christian beliefs.
Gospels -> Acts -> Epistles -> Pentateuch -> Rest

Attached: 1c8e044d9f7cf1c94caa188f09b74ae40a2bce5acd06a99fac768dba007dea45.jpg (499x654, 49.79K)

God bless you user, and if you convert, a pray before reading Scripture:

I don't even know how to pray

one user recommended this book

Attached: Jesus Prayer, The - Lev Gillet & Kallistos Ware.jpg (658x1049, 81.89K)

archive.org/details/artofprayer00igum/page/282 This book is excellent, but all you really need at a BARE MINIMUM is the vid attached. Any Christian can profit from it

tbh I can see both sides - Leviticus/Numbers/Deuteronomy set up some context for later OT books so they're important in that sense, and obviously a crystal clear understanding of OT law (if you can follow along since you're bombarded with info as you read). I don't think confusion over OT law is the main reason a new reader might want to skip those books though - my thought is that there's a ton of stuff in there that a new reader doesn't really need to go through at that point. Like the physical measurements of the tabernacle, genealogies, etc. those books are an absolute slog to get through. The first time I read the Bible I was like wtf? Why do I need to know this stuff and when does this part end? Even now I find those books quite exhausting to read at points I must admit

I did it the old fashioned way. Starting with Genesis.