Can God cure my depression?

Can God heal me of my depression if others pray for me? I don’t think my depression has much to do with circumstances as I’ve done everything I can to be healthy, but more of my brain.

Would you pray for me?

Attached: C9F09E0B-9EAC-4613-BBF7-B5AAF02C11E2.jpeg (566x718, 90.79K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/eOScYBwMyAA
chastitysf.com/litany_of_chastity.htm
youtu.be/DnVG5yiaO7k
gutenberg.org/ebooks/130
gutenberg.org/files/1695/1695-h/1695-h.htm
catholic.org/saints/saint.php?saint_id=222
saintgregoryoutreach.org/2012/02/orthodox-prayer-for-mental-health.html?m=1
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I'll pray for you, but speaking as someone with clinical depression, you need to seek professional help user. It's good you recognize the issue, and I know it's hard, but God doesn't want you to make yourself suffer for no reason. Psychological faith-healing isn't a good idea. Physicians and psychiatrists exist for a reason.

Blessings be.

Attached: 1491360949376.jpg (927x1200, 96.97K)

Thank you, but I tried seeing multiple mental health people for about 3-4 years, and tried every antidepressant on the market. I am considering the new ketamine spray, which is the only new anti depressant I haven’t tried.

This is bad advice

I don't think God wants you drugging yourself trying to be happy

Serotonin deficiency/insensitivity is a medical condition. Not getting a script or seeking help is akin to refusing any other sort of medical treatment purely on the basis of "not wanting to be drugged out".This is terrible advice, and it's clear you have no idea what you're talking about.

The church says that you should both seek help and turn to God. Doing one or the other is either putting God to the test, or placing the worldly above the spiritual. I didn't say he shouldn't turn to God, I just said he shouldn't put the Lord to the test a la "faith healing".

I agree with the brothers advicing you to seek professional help.

Antidepressants won't make you happy, the drugs commonly prescribed are mood stabilizers and anxiolytics, not "happiness" inside a pill like some people tend to believe. They are intended to help with mental illness, as plain as it sounds, the same way a person with diabetes requires insulin in order to function and would perish if they'd only turn to God, for God would have wanted them to take insulin and treat themselves. Mental illness is the same, but since it's taboo to talk about it there's a lot of disinformation.

No it's not, it's an outdated hypothesis without the scientific evidence to back it up. I think You may be the one who doesn't know what they are talking about.

Of course, but on this particular issue the "worldly" solution is not affective and will only be a hindrance to both your spiritual and physical wellbeing.

I'm well aware of that, most people seeking to take them though are looking for the thing that will "cure" their depression and aren't aware of the actual use of these drugs. The solution is to find the actual source of the depression (which is either directly or indirectly related to your relationship with God) and solve it, not mask the issue. The majority of Christians will immediately see the issue in someone using alcohol, marijuana, or sex to fill the void in their hearts caused by depression but the moment a guy in a coat tells them to do basically the same thing, they'll ignore what they know to be right and go along with it.
In this case, if we are talking about type II diabetes the solution would be reforming your unhealthy diet (a sin) rather than taking drugs you probably don't understand which won't help in the long run. I don't know much about type I diabetes but I do know it isn't a good analogy for depression.
"Mental illness" isn't that taboo to talk about, the almost the majority of Americans have it in some sense and will be happy to tell you about it.

It's a little bit frightening how many Christians, especially on this side of the Internet, are willing to buy into the psychological medication racket hook, line, and sinker with no questions asked. We are in a spiritual war, you need to be more discerning about your enemy's motives. God bless.

No, you need a doctor, not prayers

This is definitely heresy

That's literally my diagnosis. I have Major Depressive Disorder, and I'm on Lexapro for it which is a Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitor (SSRI).
If you need to be emotionally numb/dead inside in order to be spiritual in your book, that's a bit of an issue on your part. Maybe you should get help too.

That's just projection. I had a healthy relationship with God both before and after my diagnosis and treatment. I would agree that pills aren't enough (you need counseling both secular and spiritual, as well as reflection on your life) but the way you talk is supremely ignorant and presumptive.
Christians send alcoholics and druggies to rehab too, and they provide medical treatment as well. you're being idiotic, and again, I DON"T THINK YOU HAVE A CLUE ABOUT THESE ISSUES. All of your "advice" is incredibly destructive.
Depression can be congenital, such as is my case. My Father was a depressed alcoholic, my brother also has depression, as do I. But rather than destroy and abuse my body like my father did, I got proper medical treatment after years of denying my feelings. Likewise, after I started getting treatment the urge to masturbate decreased substantially. I thank the grace of god for giving me the confidence to acknowledge my feeling, which contrary to what you claim I kept hidden from my family and friends for years. I don't even remember what it was like to feel happy looking back on my early life. My only solace was God, and I still am quite obviously very devout in spite of my medication. Hence I'm here rebuking your nonsense.
See above
It's scary there are people so ignorant and conspiratorial as yourself that they would actively discourage someone from even attempting to seek help because of their own projected issues. If you think your personal grief comes from a wounded relationship with God, that's your problem to fix. Don't project your issues onto others.

Again, maybe you too need help user. Stop feigning "strength" out of fears of inadequacy, or at least stop telling others too.

Do you not understand that the authority of the psychologists is exactly what I'm questioning? They will tell you that depression is caused by a "natural" underproduction of serotonin but if you actually challenge them on this, they will admit it is just a theory and they actually have not idea why these drugs "work" as they do. I and many others have been diagnosed with clinical depression, it doesn't give any point of authority for dictating truth on the matter.
Don't take this the wrong way because I do sympathize with your situation, but you should really look into the drugs you are prescribed. In treating depression SSRIs have been shown in studies to have the same effectiveness as sugar pills but have been shown to increase aggressiveness (as the FDA has admitted) which is why so many mass shootings and suicides have been linked to SSRI use.
I genuinely don't understand what you mean here. If you're implying I think you should just endure depression rather than solve it that's an obvious strawman

Praying more than twice a day? Meditation, sacraments, and fasting? If so, good for you but that's clearly not the only thing I meant. Besides not knowing God, depression can also stem from childhood trauma, an unhealthy lifestyle, and living around toxic people. These are some of the examples of indirect problems which can also be solved with the help of God. Counseling can be good but as someone who has suffered with mental issues, what I have known intellectually and second hand has been confirmed through attempting counseling when it was offered free for me (both from parents and in uni). Of the 4 or 5 counselors I'd met with, only one of them seemed at all interested in helping in a proactive way but even then I don't know how it would have turned out in the long term since they are financially incentivised to make sure you do not heal.
I don't think you even understand what I'm saying. The root of alcoholism and drug addiction is almost always the same as depression. These rehab programs aren't focused on getting these people BACK On drugs, in most cases they're even religious in nature.
Depression is extremely common and neuroticism is likely genetically determined to a good extent. Also, harmful family practices are often carried on since kids cannot admit the sins of their parents. In glad you were able to tackle your demons and it's possible some of it had to do with counseling but you must understand that is not the experience of the majority of people subjected to the psychological industrial complex. I and many of my friends for example were subjected to drugging by amphetamines because of these people and will never be whole because of it.
Were you on antidepressants? Those are known to kill your libido. I suffered from masturation addiction as a teenager and was able to end it only through the grace of God.
OP clearly has tried your approach and it hasn't helped him.
Christ will heal your grief if you ask for it.
None of us are perfect and I can admit it. My whole life I needed help. It never came from pharma Jews with magic pills, but only through Jesus. I still seek his help to one day have the strength to forgive those that wronged me, something I will never receive from chemical castration.

For a short introduction on the effectiveness of these psychoactive drugs and their role in our society I recommend this video
youtu.be/eOScYBwMyAA

A have a cyst on my pineal gland (mapped on MRIs), epilepsy, ADD, and Dyslexia. So yes, I don't turn my nose up at the thought that there is yet more wrong with my brain on a chemical level. They can explain how these drugs work, just not guarantee their effectiveness because there are a number of internal factors at play. The brain is a little complex if you couldn't tell just by looking at it.
So you admit you have no authority either, yet are questioning the authority of registered professionals?
I have looked into it. And like I just said above, the brain is complicated. While their visible effectiveness may not always show, they have a chemical impact beyond that of placebos. The fact it doesn't work for everyone is why my psychiatrist told me there were multiple options if this was ineffectual or had side effects. That's kind of how most psych drugs work.
I'm telling you to get mental and spiritual help, not just one or the other. which is exactly what the church prescribes. Going all the way back to the church fathers, the church doesn't deny the authority of medical or scientific professionals in those matters.
Yes, and the hours, and spiritual readings, I'm working with Monastics atm.
Either way the impact is on brain chemistry. Some forms can go away over time with treatment and counseling. Others are life long. Either way, it concerns both medical and spiritual matters. Again, I've never stated "don't look to god" I've said from the start "look into both".
They give people medications to cope with withdraw and get their chemistry back in check, as well as offer counseling services. All depends on how sever the addiction is.

Ok so you're openly admitting that this may be out of OP's control…
I don't even know what you mean by this… is this like a weird interpretation of "the sins of the fathers", or are you talking about alcohol and drug use while pregnant or what?
I had been in and out of counseling like you for years and it did nothing for me because my personal cynicism and fear of change and/or being a burrden to others led me to leaving or puting on a mask of optimism whenever I went. It wasn't until I talked to my Psychiatrist (whom I already had to see for ADD) and told him how I felt that he gave me my script. And while it was very gradual to start, it has helped me noticeably more than anything outside of religious experiences.
Trust me, the urge is still there and I still go to confession often, but it's lessened since I often used to do it as a coping mechanism to give my self some sense of pleasure. Also, now that I'm more receptive to serotonin, I'll be VERY open and say that when I do slip it feels significantly… "stronger"
I'm 21 and have been doing it since at least age 11
Like I said, I think it's god's grace that enabled me to look in the mirror and admit to myself that I was not OK. It's not like I hadn't tried to stop through prayer and penance and other means.
Ok, this is all I needed to see to stop caring about a word you say. Go bitch about gay frogs in another thread, people are trying to get meaningful help here. they don't need crackpot Zig Forumstards telling them the entire medical field is pozzed. The american medical system is crap and pharmaceutical companies suck (that's the whole reason my psych gives me generics rather than name brand, because he actually give a semblance of a shit), but that doesn't mean people don't need them. the fact that they need them and they are so shit is what makes them shit.

Attached: you're serious.mp4 (640x360, 436.45K)

I thought I was replying to two different people until looking at the IDs right now. The issue I see here is I'm raising empirical problems with the practice of the use of psychoactive drugs and you may have personal experience with these drugs and not find them harmful but that does not invalidate the facts.
Of course. I believe the facts should be judged on their own and not be determined based on the worldly indications of authority. Don't tell me you take every professional at their word just because they have "authority."
Again, there is no reason to believe this "chemical imbalance" theory.
Neuroticism: depression
Intelligence: knowledge of analytic geometry
I mean parents often perpetuate the abusive practices they were subjected to
It's not a competition, I masturbated almost every day from age 13-20. I prayed this litany
chastitysf.com/litany_of_chastity.htm and was immediately able to stop.
I don't know why you're so triggered by the word "Jew," this is a Christian board after all. I am just bearing witness to what is best for the individual in this thread and so far I think I've given solid advice

Modern psychology is by its nature anti-Christian so I don't think "non-Christian" is a solid objection. It's all just plain facts in the video.

Empiricism is the reasoning of the close minded secular world.
When it's something I and the person talking to me know jack about, yes, I turn to an authoority. and even then, how does one learn about a topic if not from an authority on such subject? Taking advice from a meme right wing yter about psychiatry is the blind leading the blind. This ignoring the obvious inherent bias. I take advice from a physician I trust over this trite without question, and my personal experience merely adds to this conviction.
Accept for clinical studies… which I'm sure are all just pozzed right?
True, but again, the impact is still chemical/developmental, so ignoring that component isn't doing any good.
Like I said,it's not like I haven't prayed daily and begged intercession from everyone from Joseph to the unnamed saints. It's great that that happened for you, but there were/are clearly deeper issues for me given the improvements and other factors.
I don't care about Jews, but it's the fact that were getting into conspiratorial trite now, which is why this discussion has been completely derailed. You're too fixated on projecting this crap here than actually offering meaningful assistance.
Freud=/= the entirety of modern psychology. Besides, some of the points he made in terms of psycho-sexual development were valid and observable, but the way he presented them was just disgusting.

That dude on the other hand has actively gone out of his way to avoid embracing religion while still remaining (or claiming to remain) a conservative outsider. Pass.

Sorry but this is borderline, if not outright idolatry. You trust professionals by their "authority" alone and refuse to look at opposing facts for made up reasons? How did you even become a Christian?
LOL can't believe them because that would be empiricism! But seriously, if these studies existed I would be interested in seeing them. Should be "except" btw.
Freud is just the beginning. youtu.be/DnVG5yiaO7k
EMJ of course does cover many of the problems with Freud as well as all other psychologists in Libido Dominandi which is a good book.
Okay. Even if he was a devout Satanist it wouldn't affect the facts he raises in the video. I don't know why you insist on secular mental health but deny secular facts on mental health.

Trusting someone who's ACTUALLY EDUCATED on the topic at hand is not idolatry. Blindly following some outsider because they pander to your views on the other hand is. Like I said, it's the fact that I've known the man since I was 12 that lead to me taking his advice over your bs, not just his role as , you know, an actual psychiatrist.
Facts are facts. There is no contradictory facts.
Even then, if I relied solely on "facts" and especially empiricism to get where I am today, I would probably be an atheist, because I would be entirely focused on the material.
YOU clearly seem to lean on it…
That's necessary. Sorry I have dyslexia and spell correct only helps so much, But thanks for being a grammar nazi about it.
He presents what he wants you to see, just like any other media outlet.
I didn't. I went off of personal experience and feelings, as well as what other's told me rather than experimental observations. That's rationalism, not empiricism.

It's not just idolatry because you won't read dissenting info, you've also been lashing out and acting very emotional over disputes with abstract entities that in no way relate to you personally.
"Opposing" is not a synonym of contradictory and I think you know that.
My point is that if you didn't blindly follow the mainstream dogma on Christianity you shouldn't on other factors.
I have raised BOTH empirical and non-empirical objections to modern pscychiatry and psychology. You have resisted the use of empiricism at all while still pointing to certain empirical studies I'd be interested in seeing.
I'm not being rude, I've tried to be courteous, offering personal advice previously such as the specific prayers that helped me with problems you currently face but you brushed it off.
That's not what I said

cry

Attached: jesus-prayer.jpg (630x380, 58.37K)

Of course.

This.
In most cases, therapy is just cognitive behavioral therapy(aka a fancier version of talking about your problems and getting advice), and if it is really serious, medication.

This entire strawman about le evul shrinks that just drug you up to the gills as soon as you enter the office is retarded.

Do charity work, OP. Saint Thomas Aquinas says thats one of the best ways to cure the spiritual sloth that is causing you despair.

Depression is a misnomer. I've found that those suffering from depression/ anxiety are more accurately suffering from despair, a sin against the Holy Ghost. I have found that the vast majority do not need medication, but spiritual rejuvenation in order to overcome their despair. Pray to the Lord, user, put your faith in He who is master of time and the fates of all men.

OP here. I’m not sure what to say expect I’ve tried talk therapy with different people, and all the anti depressants. I do not know if anti depressants are good or bad, but in my experience they either did not help or make me feel worse.

I struggle with the prayer as far as asking for specific things. It’s depressing to think I could be cured of depression, but someone else is suffering in some way and not cured. Obviously God doesn’t make people grow limbs back when they become amputees, so why should I believe he could cure my depression if it’s a physical brain problem. But I think by cure I mean lesson the pain in some way or provide me insight into how to live better with it. I’ve eaten healthy and exercised for many years. I’ve tried every piece of advice you’d find when searching depression treatment on google. I don’t sleep well, and will go to a sleep clinic in August. Maybe god is leading me there. Given that I feel other things didn’t work much, I am not sure. I am sorry if I seem to lack faith. I struggle with this especially when I am depressed or feeling despair. I know that’s a sin. I am sorry for it.

Attached: 62C901AD-0AAE-45F5-B6D3-047D3EF847C1.jpeg (750x914, 88.25K)

Gk Chesterton's book Orthodoxy is all about how sort of Christianity is the sane way to view the world, and puts everything in right order.
gutenberg.org/ebooks/130

He also sort of expressed a similar point in fiction I'd highly recommend in The Man who was Thursday
gutenberg.org/files/1695/1695-h/1695-h.htm

I would much rather quote a tribute from a totally different type of man, who was nevertheless one of the very few men who, for some reason or other, have ever made head or tail of this unfortunate romance of my youth. He was a distinguished psychoanalyst, of the most modern and scientific sort. He was not a priest; far from it; we might say, like the Frenchman asked if he had lunched on the boat, "au contraire". He did not believe in the Devil; God forbid, if there was any God to forbid. But he was a very keen and eager student of his own subject; and he made my hair stand on end by saying that he had found my very juvenile story useful as a corrective among his morbid patients "I know a number of men who nearly went mad," he said quite gravely, "but were saved because they had really understood The Man Who Was Thursday." He must have been rather generously exaggerative; he may have been mad himself, of course; but then so was I. But I confess it flatters me to think that, in this my period of lunacy, I may have been a little useful to other lunatics.

A quote from his autobiography on it.
I've had problems with depression and I got alot out of it, I'd highly recommend it. It has a good audiobook as well. It's also super well written and interesting which makes it much nicer to read.

The intro poem for some of the mood

A cloud was on the mind of men, and wailing went the weather,
Yea, a sick cloud upon the soul when we were boys together.
Science announced nonentity and art admired decay;
The world was old and ended: but you and I were gay;
Round us in antic order their crippled vices came—
Lust that had lost its laughter, fear that had lost its shame.
Like the white lock of Whistler, that lit our aimless gloom,
Men showed their own white feather as proudly as a plume.
Life was a fly that faded, and death a drone that stung;
The world was very old indeed when you and I were young.
They twisted even decent sin to shapes not to be named:
Men were ashamed of honour; but we were not ashamed.
Weak if we were and foolish, not thus we failed, not thus;
When that black Baal blocked the heavens he had no hymns from us
Children we were—our forts of sand were even as weak as we,
High as they went we piled them up to break that bitter sea.
Fools as we were in motley, all jangling and absurd,
When all church bells were silent our cap and bells were heard.

Not all unhelped we held the fort, our tiny flags unfurled;
Some giants laboured in that cloud to lift it from the world.
I find again the book we found, I feel the hour that flings
Far out of fish-shaped Paumanok some cry of cleaner things;
And the Green Carnation withered, as in forest fires that pass,
Roared in the wind of all the world ten million leaves of grass;
Or sane and sweet and sudden as a bird sings in the rain—
Truth out of Tusitala spoke and pleasure out of pain.
Yea, cool and clear and sudden as a bird sings in the grey,
Dunedin to Samoa spoke, and darkness unto day.
But we were young; we lived to see God break their bitter charms.
God and the good Republic come riding back in arms:
We have seen the City of Mansoul, even as it rocked, relieved—
Blessed are they who did not see, but being blind, believed.

This is a tale of those old fears, even of those emptied hells,
And none but you shall understand the true thing that it tells—
Of what colossal gods of shame could cow men and yet crash,
Of what huge devils hid the stars, yet fell at a pistol flash.
The doubts that were so plain to chase, so dreadful to withstand—
Oh, who shall understand but you; yea, who shall understand?
The doubts that drove us through the night as we two talked amain,
And day had broken on the streets e’er it broke upon the brain.
Between us, by the peace of God, such truth can now be told;
Yea, there is strength in striking root and good in growing old.
We have found common things at last and marriage and a creed,
And I may safely write it now, and you may safely read.

G. K. C.

Ask for St. Dymphna to pray for you, she has helped me a lot with depression and anxiety.

catholic.org/saints/saint.php?saint_id=222

I'll pray for you fren

The answer won't come from a chemical, my friend. I used antidepressants for years and they just made things worse.

Under a pastor's care, and maybe with the aid of a psychologist (read: no medication prescribed) you can overcome your depression.

Doing things with a large group of people, whether or not you have much in common with them, is key. You can find this in church, and will be accepted regardless of who you are.

I kicked depression by avoiding drugs and alcohool, spending less time a lone in front of a screen (video games, computer, etc), going outside more (beaches, woods) and spending more time with my family.

There are many ways to beat this OP, you have my prayers. I know you can do this.

Was reading prayers today and this one made me think of you
saintgregoryoutreach.org/2012/02/orthodox-prayer-for-mental-health.html?m=1