Gentoo General

24MB ram edition

Nice bloat, faggot.

Previous thread: web.archive.org/web/20180121064749/https://8ch.net/tech/res/751551.html

Attached: e8732382f759dde016d70dd5da4891807438016154052fd4d1beb1551e98e438.png (1400x1050, 97K)

Other urls found in this thread:

chiru.no/u/gentoo.xz
distro.ibiblio.org/tinycorelinux/8.x/x86/release/src/kernel/config-4.8.17-tinycore64
liquorix.net/sources/4.14/config.amd64
gentoo.org/support/news-items/2017-08-19-hardened-sources-removal.html
pastebin.com/raw/eTzBXKLs
liquorix.net/sources/4.14/config.amd64genkernel
kroah.com/lkn/
gitgud.io/cloveros/cloveros/blob/master/binhost_settings/etc/portage/package.env
youtube.com/watch?v=PXFwN3q1VaY&
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/swap#Swap_file_creation
distfiles.gentoo.org/snapshots/portage-20180205.tar.xz.gpgsig
distfiles.gentoo.org/snapshots/portage-20180205.tar.xz
ca.cloveros.ga/s/signatures/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I'm not /that/ minimal, but 414MB RAM with the entire KDE Plasna suite is pretty good.

Almost twice as high as I need it to be to run a webserver on my PowerBook 180 with 14mb ram.

How do I achieve this level of non-bloatness? Why tinycore kernel exactly? Is it somehow special on handling ram? Would all that shit go up to 2 gigs once you start Firefox? Does anyone have a guide on Liniux kernel debloating?

install gentoo

Attached: 2017-05-01-145626_1400x1050_scrot.png (1400x1050, 147.61K)

You're the faggot. Samethreading and you're on a tech board, not minimal server or raspberry pi. People on here want to talk about pseudo-int hackerwarez, not gloat about high school level kernel-speak.
your machine is weak, OP. have fun getting absolutely nothing done.

chiru.no/u/gentoo.xz
How much of that image is actually used up for OS files?
Would I be safe upon dd'ing 30 gigs on a smaller flash drive?

It's a raw dd image of the Thinkpad's 32GB SSD. You could run it in qemu/virtualbox to check it out. I think it's about 6GB of useful (non zero) data.

That Gentoo install was for me to experiment low RAM use. I made an image of it because I was done and was about to wipe the drive to use it as a CloverOS testing machine.

These are all the things I did to minimize RAM usage:

- Use Gentoo. The stage3 is lean.
- Build xorg-server with USE=minimal. OpenGL won't work as a result of minimal.
- CFLAGS="-Os -pipe -march=native -floop-block -floop-interchange -floop-strip-mine -ftree-loop-distribution"
- Unload all of your kernel modules. Some hardware will stop working. lsmod | awk '{print $1}' | xargs -I{} rmmod {}
- Have only one TTY running.
- Minimize USE flags on the programs you want running. openrc should have close to no USE flags.
- Use aterm and dash instead of urxvt and zsh
- Kernel configs:
distro.ibiblio.org/tinycorelinux/8.x/x86/release/src/kernel/config-4.8.17-tinycore64
liquorix.net/sources/4.14/config.amd64
Tinycore config saves around 2-3MB compared to Liquorix config. May be less secure.
- # sysctl vm.drop_caches=3

How long did it take to compile on your machine?
Do you think it is possible to take all "go fast" patches like pf, ck and liquorix to forge an ultimate kernel? Why haven't anyone done that yet?

BFS isn't about "go fast", though. It's about better system reactivity; throughput is actually worse in my x264 tests.

You could use
emerge gentoolkitgenlop -t package
to see how long each package took to emerge on a 1.8GHz Core 2 Duo. Everything finished overnight before I woke up at least.

Anyone using musl on gentoo? Is it usable? I'm thinking about replacing Alpine with it on my rtorrent soon to be transmission box (because it's better and because it doesn't have a jew mindslave code).

Okay so I've installed gentoo on my thinkpad but I'm tried to get it installed on a UEFI only board and the minimal CD doesn't support UEFI boot?
Also, has anyone had issues with new experimental profile being shit??

Never gotten any of the gentoo medias to boot on any kind of hardware. Just use a void livemedia with the gentoo stage3 loaded on it and get to work.

Boot any Linux, install Gentoo.

So, just off the bat I assume the hardened kernel is something that is reccomended

It's dead. The so-called hardened kernel was grsecurity kernel patches. But recently grsecurity limited access to these kernel sources. gentoo.org/support/news-items/2017-08-19-hardened-sources-removal.html

Shiet, so I guess I would just use the regular gen2 kernel now

What about using alternative non-NSA approved MAC systems like TOMOYO in Linux?

Did you remove the heater from your car to make it lighter?

Yeah, but it consumes 200ml of gas less!

After launching
lspci -k
how do I understand which module is being used for the keyboard?

Let's say we need to customize it for a certain machine, a Thinkpad for example.
Obviously, obsolete hardware support is not needed, as well patches for newer hardware. Drivers for 500 different Acer trackpads, meme fie systems, copper backbone networking chipsets and so on. Also, deblobbing script would cut a big chunk of kernel too, unless special hardware is needed my stance is: if it's for networking, then it should be frei, but if it is a video codec, then firmware is fine since worst thing CIA niggers can do is corrupt my cartoons playback
Add "go fast" patches on top of that and we'll get a perfect kernel for Zig Forumsnicians.
Might as well adapt all main model-specific modifications for x60, x200, x220 and other Thinkpads.

What is the easiest way of doing it? Localmodconfig is too tight and lurking through menuconfig is boring and unproductive, plus it's easy to break something.

try next time
lsusb
lsusb -t

Keyboard and mouse use usbhid module

Alright... this is from my Arch installation, and in fact, there are multiple instances: pastebin.com/raw/eTzBXKLs
As soon as I un-fuck the Gentoo partition, am I supposed to see similar modules loaded, right? Should I try with gen-kernel first?
What if even with the correct module in use, my chink keyboard doesn't still work?

Is there any real reason to use floops when -pipe and -O3 exist?

Yes
I don't use genkernel so I don't know about that.
Remember to enable usb modules: ohci, ehci and xhci.

...and then you open Firefox and it goes to over 1GB

Pipe doesn't do anything, jewgle what you're talking about before making nonsense posts.

It doesn't optimize, you mean. Of course it "does something".

stop using these shit meme distros and switch to a real distro like fedora, opensuse or ubuntu and install whatever de you like the most

It's strange how this meme distro has better dependency resolution and a more mature packagebase than all three of the real distros you mentioned.

Use gentoo-sources with a hardened profile.

meme is in the eye of the beholder. you are the meme

This. Not to mention it's the only distro to ever be stable for more than one week straight (in fact it remains stable for years on end, unlike anything else).

A few notes about Gentoo Hardened:

- GCC 5.4.0 enabled stack smashing protection (SSP) by default
- GCC 6.4.0 and Gentoo 17.0 enabled position independent executable (PIE) by default
- hardened-sources is removed. You're encouraged to use gentoo-sources

This makes Gentoo almost the same as Gentoo Hardened other than the global USE flag change, which is:

USE="hardened pie pic -berkdb -dri -modules -orc -jit -cli -gdbm -profile -tcpd -pch -sanitize -fortran"

As far as I can tell, if you add that to your Gentoo's global USE, there's no difference between Gentoo and the Gentoo Hardened profile.

What's the point of having a unique "hardened" unstable compiled binaries when tested and reproducible builds exist? Do you guys compile Tor Browser with -O3 --YOLO too? Please, someone explain me, what is the point of compiling software on your own weak machine.

No point using Gentoo hardened unless you want to be susceptible to Meltdown and Spectre.

Kindly kill yourself.

Does -O3 still break packages often? Last time I did a changeduse emerge it fucked my entire build over so I'm a little hesistant.has anyone useed Ofast???

Maybe there's a package that says that, but that description sounds more like USE=livecd

CloverOS has packages built with CFLAGS="-Ofast -mmmx -mssse3 -pipe -funroll-loops -flto=8 -floop-block -floop-interchange -floop-strip-mine -ftree-loop-distribution"

I literally update Gentoo on a yearly basis, and it would be even less than that if it weren't for the occasional zeroday and security scare. The only package manager that isn't next-generation that's as powerful as Portage that I can think of is Arch's, and the Arch devs have made it painfully clear that they're aren't very interested in maintaining the quality of their packages to an enterprise-friendly threshold. Well, to each their own, but I'd prefer to spend the 1 hour time (the majority of which I spend taking a quick walk around the block) installing Gentoo + passing the one command necessary to git sync and emerge world before I go to bed than the 15 minutes installing arch + 10 minutes per week upgrading and fucking with broken packages on Arch. Gentoo is literally the opposite of a time-waster; it's the most hands-off distro you're gonna get for the scope of functionality it offers.

Jesus Christ, just use the default kernel config first and then localmodconfig once you've booted in, you potato.

Good argument.

This. Gentoo is the only non meme distro left.

You can have any other distro not change by not updating it...

You have excellent reading comprehension.

None of the fags on Gentoo's forum ever mentioned localmodconfig.
Didn't even know it was a thing... I don't remember it being in the Handbook either, to be quite honest.

Because it's common knowledge and not something that Gentoo is even responsible for.

I remember having trouble with UEFI too, and I ended up installing with SystemRescueCD.

Common knowledge for who? I'm not really configuring kernels on a daily basis.

Attached: holy_cpu.webm (780x438, 15.18M)

There's literally no reason to use Gentoo's offical live medium. It's made literally only for ceremonial reasons and ships with FUCKING KDE. For a live medium. You literally unpack a tarball and chroot into it, and that's the extent to which your live medium is an issue.

For whom? Literally everyone who's read a manual. If you're curious about something and don't know what to do, what do you do? You read the documentation, THEN you whine.

emerge gentoo-sources genkerneleselect kernel set 1wget liquorix.net/sources/4.14/config.amd64genkernel --kernel-config=config.amd64 all

Yeah, try to be even more vague, ya LARPing faggot.

liqorix is cancer

Sup.

Attached: 2018-02-02-151708_1366x768_scrot.png (1366x768, 186.85K)

Okay. Well, now you know, don't you? You're welcome. I'm not going to flame some teenbro who can't do their own research and uses faggot as a pejorative with so much vitriol and not a lick of irony. Clearly you have your own issues if you're projecting so much scorn onto me. That's fine. You're still in the process of discovering and understanding your own sexuality.

Yes, didn't know because never saw it being mentioned anywhere, neither books or wikis.
It's quite astonishing though how hard you try to avoid answering about the manuals you read. They really must be for elite-only, if you can afford to be so cocky.

Linux Kernel in a Nutshell
kroah.com/lkn/
This is literally CS101

Some books that also reference localmodconfig:
Compiling and installing the system kernel: Loonix Intermediate. AL2-076
The Manga Guide to Microprocessors
Linux Kernel Development

CLoverOS is not hardened.

I know. I just wanted to show of the screenshot of my desktop because I rely on the validation of strangers on the internet to foster my own self-worth.

Y-you're stupid!!!

Yes it is.

I'm sorry you're an incompetent retard.

Gentoo also has eudev after pottering fucked udev to hell and back.

It's a Gentoo image that has PORTAGE_BINHOST="cloveros.ga" in the /etc/portage/make.conf and packages built with CFLAGS="-Ofast -mmmx -mssse3 -pipe -funroll-loops -flto=8 -floop-block -floop-interchange -floop-strip-mine -ftree-loop-distribution" Gentoo is hands down the best Linux distro and CloverOS only makes this perfection easier to achieve.

Attached: 1515359802614.jpg (436x435, 15.72K)

We did it reddit

Attached: bipydIWPGICu.jpg (2569x3262, 1.09M)

Thats not why you don't have working OpenGL. As far as I'm aware building xorg-server minimal with -udev completely disables the (broken) lazy module loading. You have to manually specify which modules you want loaded.
Clearly you are just a massive LARP though because if you were actually going for minimal you would have used musl.

why are you using genlop when qlop is installed by default and quite a bit less shit.

What should I write in my make.conf if X basically freezes whenever I compile big stuff?

PORTAGE_NICENESS=19

Thanks.

What decides the graphite flags for cloveros? I'm using the following for a few select packages like emulators and I have no idea if those could be better.
cat /etc/portage/env/graphite-lto ~# yuguangzhang.com/blog/enabling-gcc-graphite-and-lto-on-gentoo/GRAPHITE="-fgraphite-identity -ftree-loop-optimize -ftree-loop-distribution -floop-nest-optimize -floop-parallelize-all -ftree-parallelize-loops=4"CFLAGS="-march=native -O3 -pipe -funroll-loops -flto=4 -Wl,-flto=4 ${GRAPHITE} -ftree-vectorize -fuse-linker-plugin"CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}"LDFLAGS="${LDFLAGS} ${CFLAGS} -Wl,-O1 -Wl,--as-needed -Wl,--sort-common"AR="gcc-ar"NM="gcc-nm"RANLIB="gcc-ranlib"

sdlmame rvschool -bench 90 has a 15% increase using graphite (without LTO since I don't have six million gigabyte RAM) compared to just using -O2

ftree-parallelize-loops should not be used system-wide.

In my experience the safe ones are "-floop-block -floop-interchange -floop-strip-mine -ftree-loop-distribution"

So what I am using is okay for things like pcsx2, sdlmame, desmume etc. as long as they compile and run without any weird behavior? I was asking because I wasn't sure if the flags I am using are less optimization than the cloveros ones.

Only -Ofast seems to really bother emulators, it's ok to go ahead and try. Add flto too. If it runs, it runs.

You can see which packages compiled with what cflags here: gitgud.io/cloveros/cloveros/blob/master/binhost_settings/etc/portage/package.env

you're joking right? Does a modern kernel boot on that?

Personally I hate having all the hassle of having to compile, make and install software myself. Frankly it's a huge time waste.
But on the other hand I hate the convenience of just downloading someone else's build.
What I want is a distro that makes me feel like I did something but without actually doing anything!
And that's where gentoo comes in. Gentoo only wastes 90% of my time. And with that saved 10% from reading makefile, error messages and documentation I can be a super productive ricer.
Really there's nothing as comfy as sitting down to a session of color scheme ricing and having firefox compiling in the background for the next 12 hours. After those 12 hours, even if I've ended up using solarized again, I get a little boost knowing I was also multitasking and compiling a very complex and riceable browser.

youtube.com/watch?v=PXFwN3q1VaY&

How much you have ram? If you have less than 8 GB add swapfile.
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/swap#Swap_file_creation

Today I installed Gentoo on my desktop, but didn't do a costum kernel. I did make localmodconfig instead. I plan on going back to further lean out my system, but how bad did I fuck it up?

It was all just so over my head, I have no idea which drivers are essential to boot, which boxes I should've checked or unchecked, etc. But I'm going to be learning slowly but surely. Any advice here would be excellent.

Attached: cowcowcowcow.jpg (1280x853, 643.19K)

Read Linux Kernel in a Nutshell

Also, I'm reading "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance", and I can't help but think it's a great companion to installing Gentoo and learning more about your computer. It's not a selfhelp book, despite how the name comes off, it more like a modern Moby Dick (albeit without the literary prowess of Melville).

Thank you user, it's free online and under $5 on eBay, I might even buy a physical copy for something to read during compile times.

Just read it right now.

I'm still installing actually (I lied in my op), so I'm a bit preoccupied m8 but I will

Its pretty easy to mess with after you have a working kernel. My recommendation is to either make a copy of that working kernel, or to remember not to run make install twice when you only have one kernel version present. This will overwrite kernel.old which happens to be your known bootable one. I've had some scares in that past when I did that and didn't know if I would be able to boot. Though I usually remember that /proc/config.gz exists and quickly rebuild the working one before rebooting. It is possible to disable /proc/config.gz but I recommend that you do not do that, its a seriously bad idea.

So you just proceeded by incrementally poking around your kernel, removing what you learned you don't need? This sounds like it may be the most /comfy/ method

How do I que up a bunch of different programs to emerge while I sleep? I have a list of about 15 different software applications I'd like to instal, but compiling them one by one (and needing to command each one) is a burden and there's got to be a simple and slick solution for this without making a script (yes, am noob).

emerge program1 program2 program3...

Thanks, I did try searching but couldn't put together the right words I guess.

Turned out I fucked my install completely (probably due to thinking I was UEFI when I'm really BIOS, but hey gotta learn somehow), but this knowledge will hopefully come in handy tomorrow!

Did you try reading the manual.

The handbook? Ofc. But I wanted the question answered before bed, not after reading an entire manual for such a petty thing.

and if you're talking about bios vs uefi, yeah, but not good enough (i didn't run a command to confirm bios, just assumed uefi)

That is what I (different user) did. You can take it pretty easy with Gentoo, making improvements as you learn. At some point you will probably go through all your USE flags and redo them, for instance.

enjoy your CIAnigger exploits, dumb refu/g/ees

distfiles.gentoo.org/snapshots/portage-20180205.tar.xz.gpgsig
distfiles.gentoo.org/snapshots/portage-20180205.tar.xz

ca.cloveros.ga/s/signatures/

Attached: Thinking_Face_Emoji_large.png (480x480, 101.43K)