Proprietary operating systems beyond Windows/macOS

What purpose do they serve in this day and age?

Attached: morphos_intro.jpg (1024x768 111.11 KB, 677.91K)

Other urls found in this thread:

maxxinteractive.com/
github.com/BusFactor1Inc/Mezzano
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

There's a few that run on phones, their names escape me. Some normies seem to like them a lot.

QNX? Proprietary microkernel OS that I think is used in embedded car computers

They're written in a sane fashion directly for real-world applications, instead of being bloated ports of 1960s mainframe OSs with even more bloat stacked on top to make them pretend they're modern OSs.

Attached: csm_OS9-Logo_be15fbf083.jpg (553x476 10.24 KB, 9.98K)

Windows and OS/X is bloat.

Attached: a1000_1_big.jpg (1600x1200, 223.38K)

Basicall a hobby OS stuck in the 1990s which runs on hardware based on ~15 years old tech and is sold for exorbitant prices to sentimental cucks.

Opening three file manager windows caused CPU load to rise to 100%?

The icon design is lovely though. We need to ditch the retarded "flat design" shit already and go back to somthing like that.

There's probably some that are in industrial environments.

I think ibm still sells unix

They serve to be a laughing stock before they are put into gulag with thier respective fanboys. It's a great way to test out the gulag of ideas.

Attached: 17712d3e9491a4ebe5d9344041a43bf71a960c2d5bbc2e4fb1a56746b94b3a27.png (491x669, 226.94K)

MorphOS is better though - the OS and hardware are cheaper/faster than AmigaOS4

Attached: tibook.png (800x600 879.55 KB, 77.9K)

I'm not a fan of the icons or general look of anything past Workbench 1.3 tbh. Or anything modern for that matter. TempleOS is alright though.

Attached: WB13.png (800x600, 12.12K)

IBM sells both AIX (Unix) and IBM i, a very... different ENTERPRISE OS

There's probably a lot of Proprietary 'hobbyist' Operating systems out there that people just couldn't be bothered to Open Source.

Right in the nostalgia, I really have to get my Amiga to work again

So Blackberry 10 then?

Attached: BlackBerry-Porsche-Design-p9982-1001.png (750x750, 483.03K)

None, binaries are ephemeral but source lives forever.

Support your local FreeSource Software Provider(TM)

Better yet,
What purpose do you serve in this day and age?

If the purpose of the source is to be compiled to binary, and the binary isn't useful anymore, then how can the source still have any use?

Flat design won't be ditched anytime soon. Do you believe it's there by accident? Simplistic shapes, solid colors and lots of empty space is friendly to low-IQ "refugees" from apefreaka and the muzzie east, traditional crowded and colorful UIs confuse the shit out of them.

The source code and binary code are two forms of the same program. The source code is designed to be readable to people but it is hard for computers to execute. The source code is translated into binary code so that it becomes easy for the computer to execute. However, binary code is inherently difficult for people to study and modify.

Attached: 3dfx_logo.jpg (344x271, 49.86K)

I still want IRIX back.

There was a recreation of Irix's interface for Linux, but the project seems to have fizzled out.
maxxinteractive.com/

Attached: maxx-desktop-1.png (1280x1024, 74.75K)

GNUstep is basically the same. Stop being a contrarian pseudo-nostalgic asshole for the sake of it, IRIX wasn't all that great

It sure as hell sang on those SGI MIPS workstations.

Most of it, especially modern AmigaOS is just hobbyist stuff.

Woah! Is that a a JOONIKS system?

Attached: 1473199860848.jpg (480x451, 43.12K)

If you or someone you know has Autism, help is available.

Autismspeaks.com

Amiga is still popular, but only thanks to some oldfag furry who has shilled it since it was still relevant and created some "Unoffcial Mascot" that was published in Amiga magazines. Look him up, (((Eric W. Schwartz)))

It's another kind of freedom, pinko.

lol no, retard

Well, enjoy your subpar, but ideologically compliant softwares. Want a CoC with that freedom?

He wasn't talking about BSD.

You're smart

Because writing your own operating system enables a new view of life. Especially like the one I've written in Lisp.

github.com/BusFactor1Inc/Mezzano

I don't care about CoC because I am not a developer.

What about the rest of what I said?
Also, we all know that you don't need to be a developer to contribute to Free Software… Isn't equality fantastic?

Free software is only subpar when you refuse to do anything about it.

In this case, maybe you should care about CoC, unless you actually want them.

I don't care about a CoC because I have zero requirement to deal with it. If it was my wish, I could fork the software into a new public project or even keep the fork as a private project. Before you say anything about being a developer, I don't need any programming skill if I hire a programmer to do the work for me.

And with whose money would you do that? Even a pajeet in his natural habitat would be too expensive for you.
And all of that to defend your stupid ideology.

If society is capable of spending for big weddings, big houses, big cars and big boats, then I am also capable of spending on software development for the software that is important to me. The cost of adding features to existing software is much lower than the cost of writing new software from scratch. There are all kinds of ways to paying for software development such as dividing a bigger set of feature requests into a series of projects that implement small requests.

Fuck off. Flat design is the best thing to happen to software since AT&T v. CSRG case.

You forgot that you'll have to maintain your "private" fork to keep up with the upstream, so your small requests can end up being much more expensive. Better forget your big boats and houses, nigger.

He's right you nigger. Back in the day flat was seen as ugly already but accepted due to hardware limitations
and everyone tried to have the most beautiful icons and menus.
Flat icons can simply be done in vector formats today and scaled to all resolutions.
They require NO skill to make, suck and don't fit in with any other icons because they have to be "special".

Attached: art_(4).jpg (2048x1309, 185.92K)

I just have to look at my task bar which is black due to the wallpaper. There is 1 fucking ONE solid color icon on it.
AND IT'S INVISIBLE BECAUSE IT'S BLACK TOOOO.
Stuff like this makes me mad every day!

I recently compiled Matlab from the original Research Unix, everything works great, it's fast as hell and poz-free. This wouldn't have been possible to do without source code.

Modern Matlab for Windows 10 will probably not run in 40 years, for various reasons including license servers being probably nonexistent after WWIV. I know you're just trollin' with bait but I couldn't resist.

We still have pre-Oracle Solaris at work and will update to a more recent version in the next years.

Solaris is a dead end, Oracle's been making sudden, unprompted noises about how they'll "continue to support it for at least ten more years" which makes me think they're going to EOL the fucker unless you buy an exorbitantly overpriced extended support contract like they offered back when SunOS was EOL'd.

I'd start switching your shit over to some other platform.

I don't forget it at all. I have all kinds of choices to choose from. If it was my wish, I can keep my software unchanging and static after my fork. I can choose to upload my patches upstream. I could choose to match my private fork with the upstream project with ongoing requests to keep it up to date. When doing it this way, I don't necessarily have to match my software to every single release. I could choose to match the upstream once a year, with ongoing requests to integrate security fixes throughout the year.

Whatever my choice, I have all the freedom to my software without the requirement to deal with a CoC. Financing is an issue I can negotiate with my programmer(s) because I will be promising ongoing business.

Mezzano is really cool.

Buying proprietary software seems simpler. I don't have to pretend that I'm a kike so I could feed pajeets who are sequestrated in my shed just so I could say that I don't care about the lack of features or shitty politics eating free software from the inside.

fsntg

Your choice of proprietary software or free software has no effect on my freedom. The thing about my freedom is that it is my own responsibility to take care of myself. I can certainly choose to do nothing about it but then I cannot complain that other people are doing work that I don't like when I do nothing.

With proprietary software, you have no choice but to beg to the software owner to change their software to your demands. They will decide by their own convenience whether to help you or not.

BTW, how many pajeets do you have working on systemd? Or is Poettering listening to your requests?

Yet it's fairly fast on a 68030 sub-50Mhz processor. Midi and sound? Yeah. Does better than the shitshow on Linux. Gfx? Does OK. 16mil colors and very high resolutions if you buy a gfx card for it. Very similar to the situation on a PC. Reasonable shell. Good set of applications for many tasks. Javashit browsing is sub-par but I slot that into the positive category. Non-cuck processors and OS. Fun hardware level programming, unlike blackbox cuckland of PC and Mac.

There are a lot of positives of Amiga OS 3.9. I haven't tried 4.1.

What do you do with your computer, most of the time? IRC and browse? Buy DLC to support soft prey-liberals and their degenerate lifestyle? I bet you could get by with an 8-bit system and a bodged on NIC.

None. I don't bother with systemd because it's already configured for me. I don't need to add new services or debug the booting of my personal system. Let's assume that Poettering is refusing to listen to my requests and that I am now required to fork systemd so that I can implement a bug fix that's affecting me. For the case of systemd, I would probably fork it and forget it. This scenario is only necessary if I insisted on staying with systemd. I could do something like changing my init to GNU Shepherd.

AFAIK, shepherd is not ready for prime time yet. You'll need to sell your big car to pay for those programmers.

That's right, that is the nature of of freedom, responsibility and software development. Software is inherently costly to develop and is naturally reflected in the price. Fortunately, I can always make plans to finance for the future delivery of my perfect software.

I really like the WB 1.3 version on A500. For networking, simple serial comms is enough. I wouldn't even want TCP/IP on old computer. Can use ARM SBC to handle that stuff.

Attached: A-Talk.jpg (1199x930, 291.78K)

Doesn't work anymore. Relied on some server infrastructure that was shut down about a year ago. All new blackberries are Android now.

Most common A500 setup was RAM expanded to 1 MB, second floppy drive (DF1:), TV set as video/audio output device, and a few hundred floppies (mostly about 90% games and 10% other stuff). Few users had monitors or printers, and a modem was even more rare.
dat Topaz font though

Can you elaborate a bit more on that? In terms of raw clockspeed this sounds like something between a fast 386 and slower 486, while a Pentium III is roughly what would be considered a bare minimum for a machine still useful for basic general tasks.

It's probably different in the UK, but almost every A500 user I met in the US had a monitor. Probably because using TV in the US means RF modulator (not SCART), so Workbench text was basically unreadable except in 60-column mode. One guy insisted on using a tiny portable TV, but that's because he got deployed a lot (military). I often went to users groups and swap meets and all that, where I met a bunch of people with really nice, decked-out A2000 and A3000 systems (one guy even had the big tower!) I bought my CBM monitor at the same time as the A500 and the trapdoor RAM/clock expansion. Eventually I bought a GVP SCSI HD (40 megs!) that also came with 2 megs RAM. That was a really nice setup. The only thing missing was a modem, but that's because I couldn't justify buying one when I couldn't even have a phone line in the barracks (we had one payphone on every deck, plus a normal phone downstairs where the on-duty NCO stood watch, that's it). I ended up getting most of my PD stuff from sneakernet (copying floppies), and occasionally mail ordered some Fred Fish disks. Well that was my last nice computer. After that, just a series of boring PCs, and I really regret not just buying a used A3000 after Commodore went out of business. Too bad they're rare and expensive now, probably not worth the money. It's mostly the *time* lost that bothers me though. Could have been using Amiga all these years. I just don't find anything nice or fun or even remotely interesting in modern computers. It's all a gigantic circus of cianiggers.

Attached: goodies2.jpg (595x616, 42.23K)

Your setup was a farily advanced one for an A500. Dunno how old you were back then, but most teenagers who owned lower-end Amigas just cared about games, hence the RAM expansion (most good 1990s games required 1 MB) and the additional floppy drive (with just one drive even Civilization with its 4 flopy disks (plus one save disk iirc) quickly degenerated into a floppy juggling fest, not to speak of behemoths like Monkey Island 2 which came on 11 floppies), and were fine with a TV set for video as games looked fine and they didn't care much about Workbench. People who were less game-oriented were of course much more likely to own a monitor (Commodore 1084S probably having been the most popular one) and other expansion gear, or even more high-end Amigas. That's how it looked like in Europe at least. Even though the Amiga originated in the US, it was way more popular in Europe, and US-based users were probably more inclined to have a "serious" attitude and to be willing to spend more, rather than just go like "just give me the cheapest Amiga setup that runs games well".