Message from syslogd@localhost at Mar 7 06:27:06 ... kernel:Uhhuh. NMI received for unknown reason 0c on CPU 9...

Message from syslogd@localhost at Mar 7 06:27:06 ... kernel:Uhhuh. NMI received for unknown reason 0c on CPU 9.Message from syslogd@localhost at Mar 7 06:27:06 ... kernel:Do you have a strange power saving mode enabled?Message from syslogd@localhost at Mar 7 06:27:06 ... kernel:Dazed and confused, but trying to continue

Attached: 1417382266679.jpg (480x454, 31.83K)

Other urls found in this thread:

git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/tree/arch/x86/kernel/nmi.c?h=v4.16-rc4#n295
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

It was only a matter of time before systemd became self aware.

NOTABUG, WONTFIX

i was considering a thread on system logging anyway, why the fuck even have a system log? when was the last time anyone got anything useful from your system log. why not just disable it completely and enable it only when there's problems for troubleshooting. i can't think of a single time i've ever needed to read something in the system log in order to troubleshoot an issue.

Here's why

spooky

i'm thinking about desktop use not server use, i could see it on a company server. and things like apache and most other common server software maintain their own log files, they don't use systemd-log

Those messages are from the kernel. That's why it says "kernel:". systemd is just forwarding them.
git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/tree/arch/x86/kernel/nmi.c?h=v4.16-rc4#n295

here's why

said no-one ever

oh thats right, i forgot that Zig Forums jusp reformats, reinstalls, and reconfigures any time a problem arises.

I use it a lot, for hardware problems. If some driver is acting up it'll usually start spewing into the syslog, which at the very least tells you which driver/piece of hardware is malfunctioning. If some USB device is having issues you can watch it to see which stages it does and doesn't go through when you log in.
This is bog standard stuff. It's not weird or obscure.

See, if you weren't using systemd you wouldn't have this problem since the system wouldn't even get that far.

I use the system logs when trying to debug USB devices for seeing errors when plugging it in.

why wouldn't you just enable it when you notice problems so you can catch errors, instead of leaving it enabled 24/7 while it mindlessly write's garbage and other possibly sensitive data to your disk that your never going to read?

Because then I can't catch errors that happened before I enabled it, and the disk is where I keep my other sensitive data anyway.

but le systemd hate!
systemd bad rite?

I know this, and get it sometimes. If you use tlp or laptop-mode-tools and also fuck with your power savings settings with powertop, you will get these errors when your computer goes to sleep.

Doesn't have anything to do with systemd (for once) and you shouldn't enable the NMI watchdog timer anyway unless you're debugging the kernel or a module. It's completely harmless BTW.