Dev survey 2018

enjoy
insights.stackoverflow.com/survey/2018/

Other urls found in this thread:

tokio.rs/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Attached: oyvey.png (1306x623, 32.35K)

WEW LAD, maximum confirmation of Zig Forums theories.

Inclusion is so important u guise. Please change everything about yourself to accommodate these tiny minorities

Attached: needs moar vagoos.png (722x338 78.14 KB, 37.86K)

WEW

JS IS BEST IN LIFE
RUST IS LOVE, RUST IS LIFE
FUCK VB. ALSO FUCK EVERY PROGRAMMING LANGUAGE THAT REQUIRES IQ>100

Attached: js master race.png (700x682 57.52 KB, 57.34K)

totally worth paying 300K/year for diversity officers right, thats totes what nearly all your employees care about

Attached: diversity=most important o wait.png (763x539 82.53 KB, 91.06K)

Grills less POZ than transfaggorts? Still POZ tho

Attached: grills.png (741x501 82.01 KB, 82.17K)

Really weird dataset.

On the one hand, when it comes to diverifaggotry, most SO users rate is as shit. OTOH, they love javascript and rust.

Fake news

i seriously doubt that these are even real numbers and haven't been tweaked to push their narrative. stackoverflow isn't exactly unbiased.

I told you spergs to learn Erlang.

Wait until you recognize that these numbers state people in IT don't care about equality programms.

Erlang is on its way out. tokio.rs/

Attached: logo-large.png (1000x404, 32.54K)

There are 2 kinds of programmers: those that can do it and those that ride the coattails of the first set.

Always the most valuable information on a site dedicated to people who don't know stuff.

Attached: how_not_to_learn.jpg (711x626, 113.9K)

I fail to see how networking library is going to replace Erlang.
Erlang is a programming language and runtime system for building massively scalable soft real-time systems with requirements on high availability. Erlang is only language that achieved 99.9999999% (nine nines) availability in production.
Only thing that is good about Rust is it's static analysis.

Stack Overflow is awesome when you have to deal with languages that have terrible documentation.

Copy pasted code from one of your developer and didn't mind to test it.
This shit happens to me so much that I'd wish the internet never existed.

I'm out.

Attached: Clipboard01.png (1062x354, 23.24K)

cucks & pajeets

What is "South asian"?
Pajeets? Or is it more around Philippines?

it means "asian mexicans"

it's not really binary
for example I'm one of those who can do some of it

it's not the only way to use SO

this is possible to achieve in any language, it's just made easier in Erlang.
the networking library is not really relevant, when you need those 9s, you want hot code reload and distribution, and while Erlang is designed for that, it won't do it automagically, the system needs to have proper design. and if you got it, it's certainly doable in some other languages too.
but the biggest surprise is that very few projects actually need those 9s.

if it was actually asked like this, it's impossible to know now, because every participant could interpret this as they wish.

In addition to those, one thing that makes Erlang really resilient is supervision trees.
In fact they are so good at handling errors that best practices of Erlang programming tell you to 'let it crash' instead of trying to handle all the edge cases. Basic idea is that it is better to restart from the clean state than to try to reason about all the things that you need to do to recover from every possible error condition.
It works like this, you have tree of processes/actors and if process crashes you restart it, if it crashes too many times during some period of time you restart it's parent process (and whole subtree under it) and if that parent process is restarted too many times during some period of time then you restart it's parent and so on. If root node crashes then whole program crashes. Programmer is one who chooses acceptable number of crashes and over which period are allowed for his code. I have not seen any non-BEAM (Erlang Virtual Machine) language that has anything like supervision trees.
Another thing that makes Erlang safe is share nothing concurrency, but it is double edged sword. It prevents all errors that data races cause, but it copies data a lot.
Last thing that makes Erlang so safe is that messages sent to process are processed serially, on first come first served basis, one at the time. This makes it really easy to write actors because you do not have to worry about all the pitfalls of parallel execution.
Those things make Erlang 'write once, run forever' programming language.

tl:dr; Erlang focuses on safety more than anything else, so you get program that virtually never crashes but does not perform well at calculating stuff.

easy to implement in almost any reasonable language

and yes I know how it works. I worked on an Erlang codebase as well.
it's all good, but again it won't do magical shit if some important code path crashes 100% of the time because the error condition doesn't go away.
it's probably nice to be able to ignore errors which happen rarely, heisenbugs in particular. but you still have to get rid of most programming errors.

even without supervision trees, it's trivial to restart a service if it died. no code is even needed for this, your init system of choice can deal with it. (yeah even systemd) and if you're not doing stupid shit at start-up, this can even be fast.

re. actors and messages, again, it's not a fucking magic, you can overflow the mailboxes for example or shoot in the foot in a different way.
and again, share-nothing model is easily done in most languages if you need it.

sage for dbl post