Image detection

so i just had an idea for a test
it would sort of be the calgary corpus of image recognition
think of a 20 sided die, where every side has the number it represents printed in english (or handwritten, or a different language, the dice can be modified but the principle is the same)
this die would be in a transparent box with a camera above it looking down
the box would be shaken, rolling the die
the camera would then take a picture

the goal for any algorithm attempting this problem would be to determine the number that was rolled

anyways i have no experience with image detection at all, how would i go about finding people to try this problem

Attached: d20.png (684x728, 144.79K)

Other urls found in this thread:

dsp.stackexchange.com
stackoverflow.com/questions/8479058/how-do-i-find-waldo-with-mathematica
youtube.com/watch?v=95EErdouO2w
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Unironically, stackoverflow.

but stackoverflow is strict on the "questions and answers only" format, ill probably get downbumped if i start a challenge thread

seems like the box is an unnecessary complication, the images could be pre-generated, then your looking at general OCR. You don't need people to try to solve this problem, you just need various algorithms, free and proprietary software to try to solve the problem, then compare the performance.

seems like the die is an unnecessary complication, the rolls could be pre-generated, then your looking at general OCD. You don't need to try to solve this problem.

well the whole point of the test really would be to extrapolate and identify text from a real life image

we could also have it so the camera is not neccessarily looking straight down at the die, just from an angle where a human would also be able to identify the number rolled

the main idea here is that the difficulty of the problems stems from being able to make out which number is on top (rolled) and being able to extrapolate and interpret text data

so only half of it is really ocr

There's also codegolf.stackexchange.com, perhaps that's a good place to post it?

still doesnt look like the right place to post it, but this looks pretty cool for casual code challenges
thanks user

You might also want to try mathematica.stackexchange, and dsp.stackexchange.com

This example below is quite cool, it's from the regular stackoverflow, but you'll find a lot of people willing to complete similar change type questions on the above too. In 2011, SO wasn't as crap as it is today.
stackoverflow.com/questions/8479058/how-do-i-find-waldo-with-mathematica

*above two.

This was already done as a student project a decade ago.

are you shitting me

There's scikit for python, or if you want to do it by hand you can too, although with a 20-sided die it'll be nowhere as easy as with one with the dots. Anyway, choose some image recognition lib and try it, make sure the dice can be seen clearly by the camera.

Correct.

i was thinking openCV

the serious problem here is to isolate the text from the top, because 9 other sides are visible at any given time

But you know the text beforehand. The one on top should be the best match since the others are at an angle. You could also easily cut the top since you know the size of the die.

what about from an angle or a distance

The distance is also a non-problem since it's known (even if the die isn't dead-center in the box the distance to the camera is pretty much the same). As for angles I don't know, I only used ARToolkit I think it was and it uses/used some patterns so they were easy to identify, worst case you could do the retard solution of rotating it and picking the best.

Was it the one with a bunch of dice being rolled at once?

Character recognition. It has been done many times before.

What is this, 1970? This is a trivial problem.

In fact you don't even need to do ocr, since there's only 20 possible sides. Just take a photo of each and match to them. Or even more brute force way: For each side, take 100 photos of die from different angles, for a total of 2000 photos, then just find the most similar one among those with minimal processing. And what's this dice camera faggotry? Just generate it with a script. It's just a shitty captcha anyhow.

Probably PRNG. Still, OP is a fag

Paint sides in different colors, detect color in horizontal plane. Are you trying to reinvent low-entropy PRNG?

well im getting the sense that this has already been though of and solved
lets shift gears and just talk about image recognition in general

thought of*

youtube.com/watch?v=95EErdouO2w

thats actually mighty impressive