Intel CPUs Vulnerable to New 'BranchScop

[archive.is/zCbUG] securityweek.com/intel-cpus-vulnerable-new-branchscope-attack
[archive.is/5i2S3] arstechnica.com/gadgets/2018/03/its-not-just-spectre-researchers-reveal-more-branch-prediction-attacks/

Attached: just.png (1800x1200, 115.73K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_single-board_computers
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Intel CPUs could be Facebook on a chip levels of giving your data away, and Intel PR could make it all go away.

From the Arse article, Intel says
I read it as

I read it as “The goyim know!!!”

Garbage OP. You didn't even explain what it is.
To say it simply, this attack allows you to determine if a path (branch, if statement, etc) is taken or not in the victim program.
You can think of this as vaguely similar to a power analysis attack where you can see the processor using more power when it takes a branch.
Unlike spectre which extracted memory contents, this only extracts the knowledge if a branch is taken or not. This could be used further in a more complicated attack similar to how spectre used the cache as its side channel.

So it sounds like an easy fix that can be patched in microcode without any issues

Attached: all_smiles.png (308x320, 78.01K)

it doesn't matter anymore. the goyim are now desensitized to these security problems.

Just as long as every motherboard manufacturer puts out a firmware update for all their products

That's exactly how open source was sold to corporates, so what did you expect.

I got my nazi arm patch. All the cool kids are getting them.

Attached: 2014062610350266319.jpg (615x540, 82.87K)

Released only in the last year. There is no support for "old" hardware.

>loading proprietary (((microcode)))

What are you doing on /g/

not getting hacked apparently

CPU microcode is further patched by the OS early during boot. As long as Intel puts out a patched µcode, normalfags will get it through Winjews Update.

You say this ironically, but Allwinner chink ARM sbcs are a thousand times more trustworthy than IIsraeltel.

Noooo goy!

They're vulnerable to Spectre and have more devices like the (((Ethernet))) and (((Wifi))) on the bus.

Spectre depends on the chip. And some boards send SATA over USB2, in which case there's no DMA. Some boards do the same with Ethernet. It's probably for cost-cutting reasons, but the side-effect is firmware has to do memory ops through the CPU, instead of having full access to everything.

So which boards are immune to Spectre and also don't have the botnet devices on the bus again? You sound very learned on the subject.

Look for boards with Cortex-A7, there's tons of them. There's at least one Banana Pi with such CPU that has SATA isolated via USB2. And there was a thread on 4chan yesterday where some dude was talking about his ODROID that has Ethernet on USB2. He said it was slow, but good enough to run as a basic NAS/backup server. I don't know if you can find a board with both devices isolated on the stock model, but it's easy enough to add your own USB device for SATA or Ethernet. Here's a basic comparison list (doens't have full details, but it's a start):
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_single-board_computers

You're ignoring the fact that the microcode is proprietary and that only Intel themselves can provide an update for it. The microcode should be released as free software along with the keys and worked on for improvement.

Getting massive IPC boosts due in large part to increasingly sophisticated parallel branch prediction hardware

Attached: intel-xeon-ipc-chart.jpg (411x460, 38.05K)

Attached: intel_collage.jpg (9999x9999, 15.33M)

More like,
>with the iGPU desktop market now under full control of AMD normalfag vidya devs begin to optimize for AMD hardware
It'll never happen but a man can dream.

Is Trump forcing these disclosures behind the scenes?

Attached: intel.png (1800x1200, 391.01K)

the goyim are LARPing about how cache is so important so we can't even begin to discuss disabling cache (which has been a thing since the year after CPUs started using branch prediction and caching)

that's not how it works. otherwise security vulnerabilties in software wouldn't exist

tl;dr but see retarded stuff about "hurr durr intel has vulns it's AMD time". branch prediction / cache side channels aren't intel specific. they are just as common in AMD CPUs.

I just got my 3b+ and it's noticeably faster all around compared to the 3b.

This thing is faster than my Thinkpad T60 even with 1/3rd the ram.

Salty Intel Pajeetsteins.

Yes because all our adversaries have them anyway.

nope you're just too much of a politics-oriented faggot to understand anything. i (898087) haven't bought anything aside from AMD for 11 years

This is actual news, stop sage bombing the thread you nigger.

Intel's swirling in the bowl.

This, now they'll have to add another backdoor in the next revision.

The backdoors are mandated by law.

Free Pajeetsteine

I have a Nehalem processor, is it vulnerable to this?

I think so user, it uses speculative execution. Some first-gen Atoms might be immune though.

AMD isn't vulnerable to this attack.

I can't upgrade my kernel to patch the spectre vulnerability due to it fucking up when opening my encrypted partition.
Now this?

Attached: 0565a477e3a872ef04707e86fb7ddf89fcb91dd4b8923cbf5f80181fa03c4de1.png (774x809, 585.88K)

Time to back-up your bullshit and reinstall. Maybe switch to OpenBSD, it seems to be immune to some of this shit because of proactive security.

BSDs are immured because they already used Page Table Isolation from the beginning because they figured it was just common sense and then built their OS around that.

Affordable RISC-V workstations when?

A couple years at least. For now get a Pi.

He's going to get a Pi and fucking hate it because no matter how hard you try to push tranny chunk shit its simply not a proper replacement for conventional desktop and never will be. You're comparing 2 very different types of machines. And you're hurting your own cause with this shit.

RISC-V really can't come soon enough. Or even whatever processors Apple is hoping to build in-house by 2020

Stay cucked.

If you think Apple won't backdoor and vendorlock their CPUs you're delusional

Did you just assume her gender?