Dual 8 core POWER 9 verses 96 core ARMv8

Dual 8 core POWER 9 verses 96 core ARMv8
WEW
phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Raptor-TALOS2-Initial-Tests

Attached: boardlarge.png (2027x1524, 2.04M)

Other urls found in this thread:

developer.ibm.com/linuxonpower/advance-toolchain/
openbenchmarking.org/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

You don;t fucking say

It gets more hilarious when you read between the lines and see how abysmal the ARMv8 is in terms of IPC compared to the Power9

Get the fuck out of here with your retarded chink shit

Attached: 272c74fe7b99ec93606ee5d7cfabc5912c978b8d1e2d6dae7008389ece52f1da.png (645x729, 69.93K)

ARM is such a POS, it honestly took me by surprise.

I bet you also think GPUs are better for everything

Now it just needs to be cheaper, have a better ISA, and have more than eight programs available that is able to use fucking 96 cores.

Attached: 31669d6aa4c48369c50aaabffde8432953ffa38b98f00170c59e6b557e3be5c2.png (600x517, 292.26K)

Not to mention Talos II is mostly, if not all libre firmware and isn't gay chinkshit made by a tranny.

The Talos II and Cavium Thunder X are similarly priced hardware so you would expect them to perform similarly. It will be interesting to see how it performs against Xeon and EPYC CPUs.

Cavium Thunder X isn't a GPU you brainlet.

you can't read can you

Where did I say this, bitch?

Ah, I see. You are retarded. Good day, Sir.

lel

wtf I love gentoo now.

Damn, the Talos is really kicking ass.

Did you read the article? Talos II still won all but 2 benchmarks.

Go back to halfchan

Attached: sac59lqtdio01.jpg (3264x2448, 1000.29K)

What's the other? I only saw one loss.

Attached: MATHS-INSIDERS-blog-14-1024x722.png (1024x722, 848.79K)

It's low-volume niche hardware. What did you expect.

You're right, It only lost in blowfish, I misread.

It's six times also it only fails on jack the ripper all other tests show the 16 core ibm power9 raping the 96 core thunderX cpu.

what the fuck

Too new to have support in stable maybe?

The only reason john the ripper is slower is because it is designed with high frequency CPU's with less core's in mind. Except with the GPU functions via opencl and the like where it would perform better in high ram and extremely high parrellization workloads like the power9 is built for.

Install gentoo you faggot and use opencl applications and go nuts with parrellization. Granted even gentoo isn't meant for this high of parrellization due to glibc being centered around high freq low core count. Needs its own OS to git gud. so this

probably

the speed improvements in gentoo are undetectable with powerful hardware. gentoo is pretty much obsolete garbage in 2018. too slow to compile things on old computers, speed undetectable on newer ones. the only thing it has going for it is customization, which servers don't really need.

Prove it with benchmarks faggot. At the very least you will save energy/electricity in the very long term with a better idle from applications using less proccessing time. That and by installing gentoo you aren't limited to software devs compile for say debian. You can just compile it and run it yourself. For obscure architectures like power9 its awesome. But in the same breath glibc is shit for such parrellization so its better and more secure just to write a new OS from scratch.

It also needs its own specific compiler and libraries

developer.ibm.com/linuxonpower/advance-toolchain/

These benchmarks for CPU intensive tasks are pretty pointless unless it's being done with software designed to work with PPC beyond having it compile and run in a QEMU VM for a quick test. Which is the case with John the Ripper.

As an ex-PPC user I'm glad many projects make sure the software is portable but you're often stuck with old builds or terrible performance. There hasn't been cheap PPC hardware on the market in almost a decade, the people using old G4 and G5 macs have moved on long ago.

Attached: moses-kun.gif (282x157, 1.94M)

Not to mention, newer versions of some programs have removed Altivec support because of bugs, lack of interest, or programmers familiar with the platform. I was really irritated when I wanted to take my G4 Powerbook and realtek SDR stick out for a drive to see what I could receive, and VOLK (Vector Optimized Library) configured with generic support.

OH NO NO NO NO

With what options? That statement is meaningless without context.

And on single threaded loads that 96 core ARM is slower than a 20 year old Pentium III. Power 9 meanwhile is so fast that x86 emulation on Power is currently the fastest x86 "processor" for single threaded loads on the market.

x86 shills go away, freedom is here

Attached: talos2.jpeg (2000x1000, 317.4K)

How? ARM-based smartphones have long since outclassed old i386 Pentium computers.
Anyway, buy the TALOS if you want. I don't see why you have to shit on ARM boards that are good enough for me or other people who don't need a big workstation.

Faster memory and add-on chips like GPU's. And even those only go so far. Have a look at places like openbenchmarking.org/ that have results for the same benchmarks over several architectures and generations. (Or do your own benchmarks.) Even all four cores of the latest RasPi still get beaten by single core Pentium III's and AthlonXP's from the beginning of the century in benchmarks where those things don't help.

Do not use Raspi as a benchmark for all ARM stuff, raspi doesn't even have out of order execution.

That was just one example of a yuge package with a fast update schedule. Substitute GIMP, any web browser or whatever else fits the bill.

The same ones as the other CPUs benchmarked. That's all the context you need.

doubt.jpg
You are so retarded it hurts. P9 is still typically ~30% slower than fastest-clocking Xeons under single threaded workloads. It completely outclasses them in heavily threaded loads though.

bump