The Floppy Disk

Attached: floppies.jpg (800x600, 40.32K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=HsLzUN4bELA&t=0s&index=2&list=PL302B754BD1587961
openmpt.org/
youtube.com/watch?v=N2s04YYO0Wg
freebsd.org/ports/audio.html
youtube.com/watch?v=Nn2R7bIzDtc
hooktube.com/watch?v=yHJOz_y9rZE
hooktube.com/watch?v=sAHIR2OYNVU
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

What's that thing?, isn't that the icon for saving in videogames?

You already made this joke in the other thread and nobody laughed at it because we've all already heard it before.

Size was about right. Small enough to fit in your pocket, big enough to hold in your hand.
Closest analog today would be micro SD Cards, and good luck finding those if you drop them.

Have you forgotten the existence of standard SD cards?

That's a great way to destroy floppies.

I'm not that person, and I don't understand what makes you think I am if it's so common.

I used to store Quake 2 player skins on those. Those were the days.

It was probably because you and the other comedian are both huge faggots. He must have though that it's unlikely for two people to be this gay, so it must be a single living abortion.

nigga please

Attached: 5.25_Floppy_Linotype_P5140243.jpg (3072x2304, 1.34M)

Attached: Commodore64_fdd1541_front_demodified.jpg (1236x728, 238K)

I only see microSD + standard SD Adapter in shop these days.

Which shop? Many DSLR cameras can only take SD cards, and you can't get sufficient performance from a micro with an adapter, which is why there still are full size SDs with over 100MBps transfer rates in photography shops.

also micro crap dies more often in my experience.

What the fuck shape are your pockets

No HD needed. No disk swapping. Purrrfect.

Attached: volfied_01.jpg (713x1013, 270.68K)

Attached: DRAGON SPIRIT for MSX2-EoA1FtkdrPs.mp4 (640x360, 13.3M)

this would require 12GB now from the coolest blue haired zir, available only on steam, require 2GB ram minimum and still run like shit on a 3ghz processor.

ftfy

Stuff you don't see anymore: cracktros/trainers.

Attached: cracktro.mp4 (480x360, 8.55M)

Also, with BBS ads!

Attached: TRISTAR & RED SECTOR Amiga Cracktro [ Operation Stealth ]-_nGS19atmFA.mp4 (480x360, 4.11M)

Those are some awesome tunes right there. Wish I had an Amiga to make some music on.

Stuff you don't see anymore: musicdisks!
youtube.com/watch?v=HsLzUN4bELA&t=0s&index=2&list=PL302B754BD1587961
(ironically, video is too big to upload here)

Attached: hqdefault.jpg (480x360, 21.44K)

I have a box with 8 of them right now, all in good state, what should I save on them?, they're 1.44MB each.

Made a floppy raid and upload stallman memes

make*

Any local consumer electronics store that I visited. Maybe I should try photography shops next time.

audible storage access announcement

Private gpg keys.

Unless you have hardware without optical drives or USB, there's no point in using them.

Disks aren't even that loud anyway. Now tapes and those god-awful screeching modem sounds...

Attached: Alice 32 Matra-Hachette (Galaxion)-AUaoSNRzFb4.mp4 (640x360, 7.03M)

gtfo newfag

I was thinking of putting anime memes on them, stallman sounds good too.

that's actually pretty smart.

memes.

You can make tracker music on a PC just as well.
openmpt.org/
it not only runs well under Wine, it's actually Wine-aware and can interface directly with ALSA or PulseJewdio for best audio latency.

Cool. Thanks for the link. I don't use Windows or Wine, but I might actually give a look into it and see how much trouble it would be to port. Do you know of any videos or examples of this software being used? I really want that "chip-tune" sound that the Amiga hardware produces.

No computer uses it anymore though. So you can't say that. Back when floppy drives were still expensive Audio Cassette tapes were the "teaspoon of removable media"

Today its SD cards that take that title. And unlike Audio Cassettes and Floppy discs, they're able to be made extremely small, passively adaptable to other sizes, and are more robust in construction, so we really have little reason to move on from them. People need to remember that the world of storage devices was still very experimental back in the 1980s because this was before the times of Industry Consortiums drafting standard specifications like what we have today with things like AHCI, SATA, NVMe, USB, and SD. Virtually none of these existed back then and the few that did were relegated to high-end workstations. The industry is sick and fucking tired of format wars. Especially after Sonys sad attempts at introducing their proprietary formats that always ended in failure, Betamax, UMD, and their memory sticks. Blu-Ray is the only exception because there was arguably a lot more industry involvement in its development.

Attached: Commodore-Datasette-C2N-Mk2-Front.jpg (3600x2600, 2.38M)

Consider milkytracker for .mod/.xm
Consider schismtracker for .it though main dev decided to be a tranny a few years back and was sounding really depressed and suicidal around that time, which is a bit concerning

There were also some trackers with new, non-traditional formats, but I forgot their names.

Surely you jest.
There are many trackers for gnaa/lunix too.

youtube.com/watch?v=N2s04YYO0Wg explains it from scratch.

Attached: milkytracker.png (650x510, 59.06K)

There are a few pretty good Protracker II clones for windows around. Open source too. Maybe go with a tracker that can do 16-bit samples though. 8-bit samples limited the Amiga tunes, especially by the time the AGA chipset machines came out (A1200, A4000).

Cool video. Giving it a watch right now.

That nostalgia though.

Look at all this gold.

Attached: Custom_Chip_Paula_8364_R4_used_in_Amiga_1000.jpg (800x600, 66.93K)

Speaking of nostalgia, God do I miss ceramic chip packaging. I still have an AMD Duron processor sitting on a shelf, it was one of the last mainstream CPUs to still use ceramic packaging.

Attached: AMD_Duron_D600AUT1B.jpg (738x738, 43.33K)

Is this a thing? Why do this instead of just a native port?

Because the reality is that the majority of PCs do run Windows and it's likely easier to make a program Wine-aware since you don't need a cross-platform development environment and can just do it all from Windows?

I got cockblocked by floppies twice as a kid when I tried to share my cracked version of ElastoMania with friends. Got a "cyclical redundancy check error", whatever that is.

Attached: 6LojyL4.jpg (1140x852, 110.19K)

Old DOS tracker ported to Unix. Saves to MOD and FNK formats. There's a FreeBSD port, but it's marked broken on ARM (sounds fixable though).
freebsd.org/ports/audio.html

Attached: ft_sample3.gif (492x342, 9.08K)

COPS CAN'T BUST MY DEALS NOW YO

Attached: 20150430-125815-nexus10-floppy.jpg (1024x734, 227.45K)

What should I run from my floppies? I know that LEAF and tomsrtbt will boot from a floppy, and I need to make a decision since my PC only supports booting from floppy and from laptop IDE

Question
If I was doing a retro build, which floppy drive would you suggest buying ( assuming its findable ).

Attached: maxresdefault (1).jpg (1280x720, 32.8K)

What architecture, what era?

a 3.5 inch drive

haha no

Perhaps if you hoarded blank floppies manufactured pre-1997 the storage would survive writing textfiles, assuming the floppy drive didn't damage the disc sectors or the disc itself had faults ( 25% of them did, a $25 20 pack in 1995 had 4-6 badeggs )

OS on a floppy, runs smooth on a 386 with 8 megs RAM.

Attached: qnxdemocontrols.png (640x480, 9.26K)

The problem with floppies is they stagnated. Hardly anyone adapted the 2.88 meg floppy or the even smaller 2-inch disks. The big capacity disks were all proprietary and only sold as after-market drives.

Attached: minisport-floppies.jpg (632x711 41.79 KB, 1M)

ZIP bays were included in some PCs

Jesus god those things were slow. My first programs were text based games similar to Infocom stuff. Those cassettes are probably still in my mothers barn.

I saved my Barton 2500 for the same reason. That thing with a 6800gs was the king of budget gaming rigs.

Attached: 6800.jpg (512x636, 64.5K)

You forgot to mention they fail if you sneeze near them too hard

Can confirm. I was still reusing shit-tier AOL floppies from the early nineties, but the disks I bought new in the late nineties were almost always DOA.

i got my first zip drive today

data gets corrupted on them for no reason

i have an athlon xp 2000+, does that have ceramic packaging? wanna know whether that's what it is like

Attached: athlon.jpg (662x601, 49.77K)

it doesn't, thunderbird was the last core to use it, also VIA C3's were packaged this way. athlon xp's starting with palomino core are just ordinary pcb laminate. So is barton, barton just has twice the cache hence the longer core.

Click click click click click click click click

no, athlon xp was OPGA

Can you copy Lemmings for me, user?

Attached: xcopyxmas92ger.png (640x400, 20.25K)

Device = trackdisk.deviceUnit = 0LowCyl = 0HighCyl = 79Surfaces = 2Buffers = 25BlocksPerTrack = 11

1440 KiB outghtta be enuff for anybody

unironical or lulz?

This won't actually erase the data, the magnet isn't strong enough

You thought you need a hugeass magnet like one from cranes that lift wrecked vehicles?

youtube.com/watch?v=Nn2R7bIzDtc

If you don't know what CRC is you should fuck off to /r/linux or 4chan or whatever.

So I googled it, read the opening paragraph of the Wikipedia article on CRC, and now I too know what it is. Was it really worth insulting me over something that takes 5 minutes to understand?

If you're not willing to do a basic google search you shouldn't be insulted. You should be vaporized.

Calm the fuck down dude. If I hadn't included those last 3 words in the post, you wouldn't have said anything. When you're ready to apologize for the abusive and inappropriate behavior you've just displayed, I'll be waiting.

Attached: ten_thousand.png (462x316, 40.85K)

Attached: eh eh eh eh eh eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeh.webm (480x360, 706.75K)

Just reinforcing his point that you don't belong here.

What are you talking about? Reddit is all about xkcd.

ironic shitposting is still shitposting

No need to get mad. CRC is basically what dinosaurs had instead of MD5, grandpa.

Back to floppies, those are some sexy disks. Yes solid state tech (flashdrives, SD cards, SSD's) is superior to floppies with moving parts. But the feels will never be the same.

Then what is unironic shitposting?

fix'd

If Floppies were made with CY+3 tech what kind of storage size could we get out of a 3.5 inch floppy?

Attached: d7c12769e3ef18c0dc5867385129fd4fadba84c615c39c2022f2d6f4060eb156.jpg (388x261, 13.14K)

A solid state "floppy" which would be a huge SD card could store 1 TB or more.

But even if you'd keep the moving parts to be a true disk, even then, I guesstimate multiple GB's looking at DVDs and Blu-rays.

Attached: floppycard.jpg (1344x742, 156.19K)

Assuming the magnetic sheet of the floppy has a surface area of around 35 in^2 and assuming Sony's reported data density of their newest magnetic tape isn't bullshit and is actually 201 Gbit/in^2 then the answer is a lot.

Where are my 1TB floppies? I need them.

Yeah no solid state it needs the comfy read/write noises.

Attached: H.png (428x468, 209.71K)

CRC32 is still heavily used, for example in ZIP files.

Attached: unzip.png (964x748, 32.57K)

Short hashing algorithms make more sense with small files, where collision probablity stays acceptably small.

Got you covered tbh fam.
hooktube.com/watch?v=yHJOz_y9rZE

nigger PLEASE

hooktube.com/watch?v=sAHIR2OYNVU

Attached: N06AP1R.jpeg (2448x3264, 1.4M)

bump

floppies are dicks

You can't wipe it with a fridge magnet. You need at least a very large neodymium magnet, something like half the size of the disk.

b:\ drive, you will always be remembered.