What's Zig Forums's opinion on dragonflybsd? seems like a pretty nice BSD to me

what's Zig Forums's opinion on dragonflybsd? seems like a pretty nice BSD to me

Attached: 792px-DragonFly_BSD_Logo_svg.svg.png (792x612, 44.83K)

Other urls found in this thread:

vez.mrsk
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Oh look its another distro thread.
There are at least 3 different BSD threads on the board right now user. I suggest you delete your thread, take you pick of BSD thread, and ask there. No one is going to help you if you act like a retard and make another distro thread.

its worth talking about BSDs unlike other type of distros because they usually all have clear goals in mind

Dragon gets so little mention I don't think it hurts to shine a light on it. All I really know is that it forked from FreeBSD due to a dispute over multi-threading, and it uses its own filesystem HAMMER. I'm sure it's nice, but what puts me off investing much time into it, is that it's essentially a one man band, and not to my knowledge, widely used.

TempleOS is the only one-man band I know of.

user plz.

Eitan Adler
Nuno Antunes
Andrew Atrens
Peter Avalos
Peter da Silva
Víctor Balada Díaz
Noritoshi Demizu
Matthew Dillon
Ilya Dryomov
Aggelos Economopoulos
Franco Fichtner
Liam J. Foy
Robert Garrett
Jordan Gordeev
Samuel J. Greear
Alex Hornung
Jeffrey Hsu
Antonio Huete Jimenez
Stathis Kamperis
Tomohiro Kusumi
Jan Lentfer
John Marino
Constantine A. Murenin
Michael Neumann
Thomas Nikolajsen
Eirik Nygaard
Max Okumoto
Hiten Pandya
Alexander Polakov
Chris Pressey
Jeremy C. Reed
David P. Reese, Jr.
David Rhodus
Hiroki Sato
Matthias Schmidt
Simon 'corecode' Schubert
Gregory Neil Shapiro
Walter Sheets
Justin Sherrill
Jörg Sonnenberger
Thomas E. Spanjaard
Venkatesh Srinivas
Joseph A. Talbott
Hasso Tepper
Nicolas Thery
François Tigeot
YONETANI Tomokazu
Chris Turner
Scott Ullrich
Imre Vadasz
Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven
Sascha Wildner
David Xu
Yonghong Yan
Sepherosa Ziehau

Joe Angrisano
Robin Carey
Joshua Coombs
Craig Dooley
Douwe Kiela
Emiel Kollof
Kip Macy
Andre Nathan
Galen Sampson
Gary Stanley
Damian Vicino
Todd Willey

Have been a gentoo user for a few years now and I'm looking to try bsd on my desktop, should I go FreeBSD or NetBSD? Freebsd is the easy choice but I feel like trying netbsd and make it work on the desktop. Any ideas?

...OpenBSD?

If you want to deal with toxic community, with retarded defaults, never see security patches going from -CURRENT to -RELEASE; then go with FreeBSD.
If you want just to try *BSD, try OpenBSD, but beware, none of *bsd family is suited to be for desktop use in general. Don't really know what's your usecase, but when you can't decide what to use, you must be poobuntu-tier fag. Therefore stay with Gentoo.

vez.mrsk . me/freebsd-defaults.txt

Have tried openBSD and found it to be awful. Gentoo is the best linux distro I've used so maybe I'll stick with it.

FreeBSD has cuck CoC and is unstable compared to literally all other BSD's. Go with OpenBSD or DragonflyBSD

the only people into bsd are degenerates who enjoy sex torture. fuck you. burn at the stake.

who hurt you

Just the fact that you're so angry and opposed to it makes me want to try it.

girls naturally enjoy being subs. It's not degenerate

If it's you, you should just get over with it and finally try it out in a VM, form your own opinion. What's the worst that could happen?

NetBSD may be the most "difficult" of them to replicate what you are accustomed to, but the learning experience is probably worth it in the end. They are all similiar on a basic level - if you don't like Net, you can take most of your knowledge over to another BSD. There's something like a simple comparison table in the other BSD thread.

Lies. No matter how many times you repeat it, it won't make it any more true. If you can't make the mainline BSDs work on the desktop you don't belong here. All of them make sense in their configuration, their documentation is good, there's also resources online, they all have active IRC channels and mailing lists, lots of packages and ports ready at the press of a button. If you can't make it with all that help you should install windows, not Linux.
Fucking memefaggot, people like you should be shot on sight

Completely misinterpreted.
therefore he's poobuntu-tier fag, because there were countless threads about *bsd and can educate himself elsewhere instead of asking here, of all places
:DDD
He already uses gentoo you degenerate
Maybe it will come true if you'll repeat it every time you start typing.
Also was reaction on his "I can't decide, I can't read"; he can't do job with limited recources compared to linux.

Being called out for mindlessly spouting nonsense like "no BSD is suited for desktop use" doesn't mean you were misinterpreted - it means you don't know what you're talking about. It also means you're maybe not in the best position to call others "poobuntu-tier", whatever that is implying.
Are you the same faggot that said DragonflyBSD is only usable for servers and not suited for desktop use? Give me a break.

You don't have to give people advice if you don't really know what you're talking about, you know.
What is something else here?
The documentation is actually pretty good and you don't have to bother with differences between distributions. There's lots of ports and binary packages. So, not sure what you're trying to say here. It is not exactly difficult to set up or maintain.

and ubuntu is a perfectly fine distro aside from the regular 'buntu, not the derivatives.

I'm an experienced BSD user but i still can't figure out what it is with the BSD's and shitty names...

Go on distrowatch and gawk and all the stupid Linux names. Dragonfly doesn't sound so bad next to all that shit.

Ouuu-bun-2

I would pick DragonflyBSD. (FreeBSD is cuckd and HAMMER is the best filesystem imo). But whatever you do, do NOT install TrueOS. I once fell for the TrueOS meme and it was awful.

I think that ubuntu (and derivatives) are bad, imo. Ubuntu has weird names for their repos (like multiverse) and I can't trust them after that amazon botnet thing. Also, every time I have tried to do a release upgrade, it would result in a broken system.

May I have some infographs explaining why the BSD license is cucked?

Attached: 657638006f22356f01719eb25df0f04911f9180e471386f4ce896e3345be79a1.jpg (1200x1500, 297.32K)

the derivatives aren't canonicuck'd. and broken systems are an extreme rarity after an upgrade.
mint is a really great in between. the whole update thing was bad but they made it so you have to pick now when you open the update manager.
i still would rather use a more minimal distro but near all of them sacrifice functionality.

The only free license is MIT. All other licenses are non-free.

Terry Davis just uses PD, because he's a true alpha coder.

Attached: 1183618683-1.png (640x480, 28.71K)

There was a time where proprietary people where calling freetards, cucks, now for whatever reason GPL people have adopted it and are trying to turn it around on their own *nix brothers because all they ever do is cause infighting. Or it's some kind of bullshit psyop devised to divide and conquer.

Not suitable for desktop != cannot make it run on a desktop

My desktop has an nvidia card borrowed from friend until I can afford to buy a newer one. OpenBSD is out of question.

If I had a modern AMD card, it wouldn't work on freebsd, only on 12-CURRENT.

Yeah, on a 16:9 monitor, it looks especially awful

None of those OSes have hardware acceleration for video playback so my crappy old 125W cpu would heat up the whole room.

How many hardware sensors does any of them support?

Another problem of mine: even with power management, comouter idled over 50°C, while with linux it idled at 40°C. It wasn't hotter than linux under load, just some power management issues.

I actually enjoyed using BSDs more than I thought I would. But they clearly aren't desktop ready. Not even gnu/linux distros are desktop-ready, but at least I have workarounds for almost all problems ( my "new" bristol ridge apu has no HDMI audio on 4.16 kernels, maybe in 4.17. And no spare speakers.)

You’re going to get raped by a tranny.

Cancer. How am I supposed to get audio on a screen without speakers if there us no 3.5mm output?

Insert module between source and outputs, that splits the signals.

Werks on my machine : ^)
You can keep posting this meme but you aren't convincing anyone about anything besides your lack of knowledge on the subject.

I ran OpenBSD on a T61p with nvidia crap, and it worked perfectly fine. Mind you, I don't care about video-in-browser or OpenGL shit. But I could do everything I needed, including watch videos/movies, play games/emulators that don't use OpenGL (including E-UAE, before that FS-UAE crap), and browse all sites I needed to in Firefox with no visible slowdown. That was like 2 years ago, and the core2duo CPU could handle all video stuff on its own just fine. I'm willing to bet that CPU is more powerful than some ARM boards people are using without MALI or equivalent driver. Anyway mobo crapped out or I'd still be using it. Now I have a new shit laptop where stuff works even less good than on that T61p. Obviously it's not a Thinkpad, those actually work well with OpenBSD.

Doesn't HDCP prevent that!

Me again. So I installed FreeBSD over gentoo and so far after a few kernel config issues I am up and running with xfce and it's honestly a _very_ usable desktop os. The sound works A LOT better than ALSA on linux (I had a 100liner asound.rc on linux). The sound works out of the box with multiple audio sources etc. Only flaw is that it doesn't support my PCI xonar audio card, but for the sake of my trial of freebsd this doesn't matter. The bsd style init is very nice and loading kernel modules is easy.

t.>>890882

The same solution. Insert module between source and output, that strips HDCP.

bump