Eoma68

crowdsupply.com/eoma68/micro-desktop

rhombus-tech.net/

what does tech think

Attached: eoma-computercard1_jpg_project-body.jpg (749x391, 16.87K)

fuck off

I thought it looked cool. Didn't buy one because I don't care enough about them. Hope they get cheaper.

I like it. However the development is really slow. And currently only the card + desktop housing is worth buying. Laptop housing is too big, too expensive, no trackpoint, pathetic battery life, nonsymmetrical keyboard because of the numpad, etc.

I doubt that people are going to make other housings for this card. I really want
If these happen I really doubt that I'll use anything else other than eoma for the rest of my life.

Other people might think the weak cpu is a problem. but honestly I never go over 15% cpu with my x220. and that's when I'm watching 720p videos. Most of the time I'm at 0%-2% cpu thanks to my i3 setup. I doubt that a weak tablet cpu won't be enough for me.

maybe another problem might be sd storage. I don't know how reliable is it or how much I'll have to pay for a decent sd with high storage (~250gb).

I also wonder it needs to be fully turned off to change housing, that would make it much less modular than a thinkpad with base.

chinese botnet

lol at these retards screeching

eoma68 is the only sbc that is considered libre by the fsf, the only bad thing is that is taking too long to release.

last time I heard, they were taking in consideration to use risc v for a later model, hope they go for it.

EOMA68-Serial Ultrabay Enhanced when?

It's surely an interesting project, but I believe it's to early to give a judgement.
In ~3 months time the first orders should be shipped, but for right now, especially given the price, I prefer to just buy an older Thinkpad compatible with Libreboot.

This hiding business sounds counter-productive. Would be better to raise awareness that ARM GPUs are snafu and the reverse-engineering for MALI that was started needs to be finished.
Otherwise it sounds ok, and the fact they're by default using USB2-to-Ethernet and USB2-to-SATA is a plus for avoiding nasty firmware botnet.

It's going to be open-sourced. There's literally only one guy at ARM stopping them from doing it.

Attached: manager.png (1196x42, 23.6K)

how is usb not botnet?

No DMA for USB2. But USB3 can do DMA, as can devices on PCI bus.

I ordered a card+housing ages ago.
Seems like a step in the right direction. Open Source, small, and most importantly not Intel.
I'll likely eventually build an old-fashioned microcomputer housing with keyboard for it so I can use my own hardware at university without being plagued by modern laptops.

Attached: Commodore-64-Computer-FL.png (1920x1085, 1.26M)

i heard about these in my free software mailing lists

USB3 is botnet. USB2 is fine.

Who cares when you have a raspberry pi that's half as cheap. People don't care about muh freedums. They care about usability.

What the fuck is it? Were you so lazy that you couldn't put in the effort to write a paragraph about what this shit is?

Its another ARMShit meme board #100000 that poked some autists interest

A big drawback for me is that the board does not support networking. It does not have an ethernet port, nor can it connect to a wireless network. You have to plug a networking device in via the micro usb port. Keep in mind that there is only one micro usb port on the device itself.
It does look like the bigger varieties have 2/3 regular USB ports in additions to that one micro usb port.

Hello, NSA

They don't.
If people cared about free speach they would be rioting right now.

USB 3 DMA & firmware is less botnet and more 'running with scissors bindfolded through a minefield'

No, you won't. You will finish your degree or drop out before you do.

Would it really be that hard to throw an ath9k on there?

You what mate? Who the fuck thought that was a good idea? Was this so they could get displayport in there?

Just a guess, but it could be for getting increased transfer speeds / latency since you don't have to go through another component in the computer to do the DMA for you.

bump