Video Editing Software/Platforms

I like how Sony Vegas and Adobe Premeire have the market cornered on professional video editing. Whereas areas like 3D modeling and graphic effects have free proprietary software. What's more, even if you pirate Gaygas and Pissmeire, they're bloated and take forever to boot up, making people shy away from doing so in the first place.

Guess nobody's got big enough balls to make their own Linux-centric GIMP or Blender equivalent. That, or I've never heard of such thing yet.

Attached: 2000px-Adobe_Premiere_Pro_Logo.svg.png (720x720 37.63 KB, 233.35K)

Other urls found in this thread:

openshot.org/
shotcut.org/
kdenlive.org/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Blender

Blender.
The only problem it has is the preview doesn't show subtitles that are embed in video files.
I don't even know how to add chapters for videos, too.

Blender can do a lot of really good editing but the interface is strange, a pro on Blender could make work as good as a pro in Vegas. It's really professional tier stuff. And it does the 3d modelling, at a professional tier. I don't see what you're complaining about mate.

Also don't get it twisted - Premiere is not like Vegas. Vegas is for CG & compositing work, Premiere is for finalising an edit and processing it for distribution (be it TV, web, etc.). The adobe equivalent of Vegas is After Effects, which is 50x more powerful, with a 20x more retarded interface and hungers for 10x the RAM/CPU. But Vegas doesn't really compare

The fuck you on nigga? The adobe equivalent of vegas is premiere. AE is for making fancy CGI effects and is not really meant for cutting and basic editing.

I was under the impression Vegas was used for CG and and compositing. It's why people make YTPMVs in them, because it's a video editing suite.

See, this is why I don't think you're right, CGI is not what someone who knows what they're talking about would call it, CGI is mainly 3d modelling and rendering.

There are FOSS video editors for linux, but they're inferior to Vegas just as GIMP is to Phagoshop. They might be more than enough for you though, just as GIMP is for most casual users.
openshot.org/
shotcut.org/
kdenlive.org/

If you're fine with proprieshit software, DaVinci Resolve is available for Linux.

Nigga, just use FFmpeg.

Would the After Effects equivalent be Natron?

Attached: Natron.jpg (1024x500, 360.24K)

No

How do you know where you are cutting. You have to have some graphical interface if you want to find the timestamp you need (ffmpeg doesn't support frames as far as I know.

If you're familiar with Avid or Final Cut Pro, FlowBlade has a similar layout and uses FFMPEG as a backend.

Vapoursynth is the answer.

Like everyone else in the thread said, Blender can do video/audio editing, and its interface for that isn't any more insanely retarded than its interface for 3D. Like GIMP, it's not even close to real software for its purpose, but it's still functional enough to do decent work if you're a cheapass or need to install something in a pinch on a barebones system.

AE & Premiere are both technically capable of CGI, including 3D, but the primary purpose of Premiere is NLE, and the primary purpose of AE is compositing, which isn't really the same as CGI, even 2D.

Not anymore I'm afraid.

Blender IS the Blender equivalent for video editors, user. Even has its own compositor.

Attached: screen-320-v2.png (1200x675 133.82 KB, 138.8K)

in the time it takes to learn this arcane bullshit, you could teach yourself x86_64 assembler and reimplement the entirety of Premiere for GNU/Linux.

I'm sure that software is nice but i don't feel like hassling over anti-user DRM.

Because video editing is a largely professional market and enthusiast users who casually might make youtube videos are not only a minority but they probably aren't people to pay for it either. You can pirate Adobe Premiere far easier than you can learn some autismo software like Blender that sucks shit at editing in the first place. When I tried it, all of my previews were extremely choppy at like 3 FPS
Some stuff like kdenlive which might be acceptable don't run properly on Windows either, further slimming what little users it might get. Openshot crashes all the fucking time and can corrupt audio easily, it's basically Windows Movie Maker tier but somehow even worse.

Developers can get paid to make this kind of software, which is why they cost money. This is a lot of work and a lot of time, and you need consistent man hours to get shit done instead relying on whatever sperg feels like fixing 2 bugs does.

The biggest problem with this software (just like nearly all open source software) isn't bugginess or poor optimization, but the fact that the UI is:
a) bugfuck insane
b) stripped down to the point of near-uselessness
c) nonexistent, "use the cli, lol"
d) undocumented
e) all of the above

Not because the devs do it in their spare time or are unpaid, but because they are autists who jury-rig software for the sole use of themselves and, perhaps, a few particularly noisy beta testers they personally know.

CLI is still a UI and in many cases better than GUI at specific tasks. just because you can't interface with it doesn't make it not an interface

CLI is a legacy IPC mechanism that can also be used by humans in a pinch

Also, realistically speaking, I would amend "CLI" in the above list to include not just specifically shell interfaces, but other similar horrors such as futzing around in .ini/.cfg/etc files, and altering makefiles.

Well, what did I expect?

One evening, Master Foo and Nubi attended a gathering of programmers who had met to learn from each other. One of the programmers asked Nubi to what school he and his master belonged. Upon being told they were followers of the Great Way of Unix, the programmer grew scornful.

“The command-line tools of Unix are crude and backward,” he scoffed. “Modern, properly designed operating systems do everything through a graphical user interface.”

Master Foo said nothing, but pointed at the moon. A nearby dog began to bark at the master's hand.

“I don't understand you!” said the programmer.

Master Foo remained silent, and pointed at an image of the Buddha. Then he pointed at a window.

“What are you trying to tell me?” asked the programmer.

Master Foo pointed at the programmer's head. Then he pointed at a rock.

“Why can't you make yourself clear?” demanded the programmer.

Master Foo frowned thoughtfully, tapped the programmer twice on the nose, and dropped him in a nearby trashcan.

As the programmer was attempting to extricate himself from the garbage, the dog wandered over and piddled on him.

At that moment, the programmer achieved enlightenment.

That's not what he said.

solution: use ffmpeg or mkvtools to extract/embed subtitles.

Attached: lincux.png (841x724, 392K)

Depends. Videos and images are easy to cut, just fucking use your player (e.g. mpv) for seeking. With audio it might be a bit tricky. I used to translate videos and write closed captions. Unfortunately Aegisub is an uncompilable abandonware, so I had to come up with a better way to visualize audio. I ended up generating a panning spectrogram video with FFmpeg (see attached video for the example) to make it easier for me to seek the audio and time the subtitles. It's one of the most autistic things I've ever done but it works.

Natron is very autistic, it's more for advanced compositing rather than neat effects like AE.

Attached: serveimage.jpeg (700x657, 62.96K)

Why are you even here?

Attached: f0995b4978ccb4f528fba2e19624aab1382ddef582537395412042b7126547be.png (1068x809, 215.93K)

Of course it turned out to be unplayable, fucking browsers. Here, let me re-encode it.

Attached: out.webm (1366x768, 14.13M)

Everything I liked to any particular degree is dead, nobody dreams any longer of making anything better, and everything left is varying levels of utter trash.

Attached: Carputer.jpg (1037x1685, 424.3K)

Attached: lwm.jpg (1150x850, 277.45K)

You need to go back.

bump