LineageOS decides to lose some users

lineageos.org/Changelog-17/

tl;dr builds between 1st april and 8th april have a prank which tells the user that their device is compromised and will be used to mine crypto and it's impossible to completely shut this notification off without using root shell

reddit.com/r/LineageOS/comments/89f76y/can_we_have_a_serious_talk_about_april_fools/?sort=top

Do you think it's still a good idea to install LineageOS on your mom's phone?
Too bad Replicant and Copperhead support only 1.5 devices. What do?

Attached: los.png (3360x320, 29.51K)

Other urls found in this thread:

lineage.microg.org/
jira.lineageos.org/browse/REGRESSION-1833
lineageos.org/An-April-Apology/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I wouldn't personally stop using Lineage because of this, but I can see where the users are coming from. This was a juvenile decision on the devs' part--hopefully one they will learn from in the future.

I haven't looked into Replicant or Copperhead recently. How is the device compatibility nowadays?

I legitimately thought I had gotten some sort of corrupted image with malware injected into it. I'm already switching to something else. If not Oxygen (since I have an OPO) then I'll just go with stock android.

Me neither, but I had to answer a couple of uncomfortable questions from the relatives which I helped to switch to LOS as an alternative to buying new phones. This really sucks.

I'm probably at risk of having an actual bitcoin miner on my phone, thanks for the reminder OP

it's a note 3 btw if anyone has non-lineage recommendations

I don't use that shit, but I'd definitely stop using it because of this, I can't even begin to imagine what was going through their heads that allowed this to get through.

Maybe it's time to go back once for all.

It is not my fault that the #1 and official place for LOS discussion is on reddit.
How would you format the opening post of this thread? I presume you can do better, so go ahead, I'll be glad to learn.

How about you stop desperately trying to fit in?, we already know you come from reddit, no point in trying to hide it.

god forbid anyone try to separate paragraphs of text with more than one line feed

A paragraph is a minimum of 5 sentences. You did not separate paragraphs, you separated sentences.

paragrapgh does not have a minimum of sentances. silly face.

he is not me
now how about we calm down and stay on topic?

I will not stop using it, as LOS is the only reason I keep using this four years budget phone. But it was really a very unprofessional move

Thanks for sharing OP. That's some absolute quality autism on the LOS devs part.

He's separating links you faggot. It's much more readable that way.

Maybe you should quit being such a faggot...

Attached: negeerenraporteerhetiszogemakkelijk.png (625x626, 76.08K)

Better yet, pic related.

Attached: Ra5VIuB.png (184x39, 1.39K)

Don't know anything about lineage, but it's just a joke. Get some humor autists.

Just accept you fell for the April's fools joke you retarded mongoloid.

Attached: YoureARetard.png (211x244, 65.76K)

Anyone have a screenshot of the warning?

>It's just a prank bro

the exact notification text is not quoted anywhere, 0 screenshots here, 0 screenshots in the reddit thread...
Would be nice to know what are you so upset about.

LOOOOL

Attached: DZ9mEGpW4AEVwQM.jpg large.jpg (913x896, 55.73K)

Some users got a message saying "You might be a victim of software counterfeiting" and pressing it sends the user to a "Wallet" app that is obviously a prank.
Reading the fucking changelog explains that everything is a prank, but these retards can't read.

Attached: zeFrp2L.png (887x368, 32.87K)

IT's JUST A PRANK BRO
an extremely unfunny and annoying one. literally kill yourself faggot

Isn't that the point of pranks?

it's not a good business strategy to annoy your users

Attached: u-mad-2.jpg (500x443, 32.43K)

It somehow works for Microsoft

There are no alternatives to Windows
It's shit. It fucking sucks. Some things suck less than in Windows but for the things normalfags care about Windows sucks less.

Thanks for confirming that op is just a whining faggot.

It is a lot more "serious" looking text in the Russian locale, which is what my relatives use.

Why is April fools still a thing and who decided this was a good idea? I'm glad I haven't updated, this is retarded.

I wish there was a non-retarded Lineage distro with MicroG, F-droid, Orbot and libre replacements for the regular stuff you'd get with Gapps that actually had builds for my phone.

You might just start it, looks like it's possible that the critical mass will jump.

My only issue is time really. I've been so busy lately I have no idea when I'd maintain it.

Lineage has official builds with signature spoofing so you can use it with MicroG. As for F-Droid, you can easily sideload it or install it as a system app using Recovery.

*sigh* I meant having all that stuff preloaded, it would be way more convenient, especially for people currently using stock. It'd be like the Ubuntu of ROMs.

Writing a short, step-by-step, guide about how to install those things may be better than making the whole ROM.

Those already exist, the issue is alot of people won't even know those things exist.

Nor will they be bothered to go out of their way to install those things, they'll just use stock cus it works.

That's way different and you know it, nigger.

This has been around for a while. It doesn't have tor or anything built in, but it comes with microg and f-droid out of the box.
lineage.microg.org/

jira.lineageos.org/browse/REGRESSION-1833

This looks to be well maintain and not just another LOS hack that will be abandoned after few years
But I don't see the benefits for having the work to install it, my phone have been working very well without Play Services, aside from localization services and few apps that refuse to work

It's obviously a joke.

I saw a bunch of people complaining about how their normie friends and family thought it was serious and I don't understand why someone would load a third party OS with no warranty shit on some normies phone, sounds pretty dumb tbh, I'm glad the LOS team gave these tards a wake up call. Also why don't people read the damn patch notes which clearly outlines the joke for them?

That's not what it looks like on mine. This is what it fucking looks like on mine.

Attached: Screenshot_20180403-170742.png (1080x1920, 1.14M)

lmao

Yeah, my relative got the similar text (as much as it can be in a different locale)
Totally obvious for non-tech person. Prank up my ass.

That one looks a lot more obvious as a prank though. It's clearly a parody of Windows Genuine Advantage. I didn't even install LineageOS and I think this is all retarded

I don't mind the prank, but they completely fucked up the delivery. I didn't get the prank update until April 8. It is now April 11 and I still have a fake app and irremovable notification.

t. redditbrain

They made and apology, no need to abandon LOS anymore
lineageos.org/An-April-Apology/

I thought it was funny

what are time zones you dumb nigger

probably because of the update button just appears and you tap it

gas yourself

This is useful the fact that mining literally kills userbase means they won't do it anytime now.

They obviously haven't learned from their lesson, they're going to do another retarded prank next year.

I want to install LineageOS on my LG G5 but I heard that Bluetooth doesn't work yet and it breaks LGs encryption engine so certain apps that use it for logins don't work. And last time I installed TWRP on this I decided I should lock the bootloader after unlocking it and installing TWRP because having the bootloader unlocked means you need to wait out some annoying ass fucking message every time you boot your phone up about having the bootloader unlocked. Apparently locking the bootloader while having a custom recovery partition like TWRP bricks your fucking phone forcing you to use the official LG flashing software to flash back to stock. Christ what a shitshow.

Attached: feels.jpg (234x215, 9.76K)

They have to be one of the worse major phone manufacturer.

But complaining about message on reboot? Really? How often do you really reboot your phone?

pretty sure it loads in the background while the message is showing
blabla dev version something

Fuck off. Retarded niggers deserve retarded jokes. Kill yourself.

You're going to get Mao'd.

it's usually not that way on phones, and he's probably actually wasting time and power

How do you turn on pirate locale? I can't find it in the language selector.

I checked, you can remove to message
but it wont affect boot time
you still get the manufacturer logo splash

bump