A message to UI designers and devs

Hi, I'm posting here on Zig Forums because where else can I rant a little? Who knows maybe some of you do UI work and this may touch your thoughts. I'm a dinosaur and I'm still not using touchscreens. And I won't live long enough to use Johnny Mnemonic style VR headset and gloves neither. Anyway here goes:

* Don't make buttons, menus, gauges and other stuff appear and disappear. Disable or enable (grey out) if you must, but never make them ghost in and out from nowhere.
* Don't resize the dialog or its controls automatically. Resizing stuff should be left manual, up to the user.
* If your program or webpage has a "mobile" version then it's assumed that the other version is for desktops: this means mouse and keyboard. Stop giving desktop users your touch optimized interfaces when a mouse pointer is 1000x more accurate than any phonefag's greasy finger.

Thank you very much, have a nice and productive day. Alternatively I'll see you in hell!

Attached: cdplayer.png (332x231, 8.24K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_interface_guidelines
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

get with tablets bozo you dont need "buttons" or "mouse" egghead, just point with a finger fag
what are you a retard?

What the fuck is that? Surely you're not talking about the icons that are floating vaguely in flat area?

Attached: FLAT DESIGN.png (637x85, 13.35K)

Sorry OP, a good UI design wouldn't justify keeping a "UX expert" on the payroll so he has to keep changing the interface every other week.

Attached: ui.jpg (650x194, 83.21K)

only good UI is the one that gets the fuck out of your fucking way

they just described 95% of all Linux programs, including Linux itself

Attached: 4cea371fcb6739f17411a4c898588bf1b5ce66c99eb50f1ae3752ab8df056f89.jpg (1944x1945, 1.35M)

nigga said "Aflac" one too many times

You're retarded

That's the joke.

interdasting

Sorry. I don't use software written by trannies and pajeets.

All modern software is written by trannies and pajeets

I thought so, too. I didn't know that about their anatomy.

Polite sage for offtopic.

Developers should know this: each operating system or desktop environment provides a document called Human Interface Guidelines. But you can call it the holy bible. Heed its rules. Do not deviate from it. Your interface must not stand out. It must look like it belongs with the system and every other program for it. You must never use custom window borders, custom buttons, any shit like that. Good user interface is plain.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_interface_guidelines

Attached: 51qAv8MZ1eL.jpg (376x500, 35.59K)

Good user interface is actually one that works with the psychology of how all humans work. The Window Icon Menu Pointer paradigm of user interfaces does not work optimally for humans because of the modal nature of how this paradigm works that hinders the nature of humans to form habits. Jef Raskin wrote a book about the proper way to design a human interface that works in account of human psychology.

Attached: The_Humane_Interface_book_cover[1].jpg (253x393, 17.77K)

I have clicked on "use this device for backup" far too many times in Windows 7 after inserting a usb stick due to the change in layout 1 second after the dialog comes up. If you can't do the layout when the window appears, kill yourself and don't write software. This goes for websites, too.

This is an insult to flat. Even a DFC has some definition.

Um no sweetie, we write our own widgets in HTML5/CSS so that our electron app looks the same everywhere.

You think I'm going to write 5 interfaces for my program? Or actually "port" it to your platform like it's 1980? Or write it in an outdated language like C/Obj-C, or LISP/Scheme?

Attached: smugrika.png (221x247, 79.67K)

I mean you say that like it's a bad thing

Only good UIs are in text famalam.

Attached: tvQNX-pterm-photon.jpg (654x435, 133.92K)

You forgot to mention...

Right, and pretty much no one does it. "Do you really want to close without saving?". Yes you fuck, get out of the way.

Now that you mention this I want to find the inventor of popups and annoy him until he seppukus himself

this is mostly true. and it is as it should be.
open-source = trannies
commercial = pajeets

consider the following-
as any technology progresses across time, the price of it drops--but the people making it change as well.
it begins with the wealthiest and most-educated workers, and progresses away from them, to the poorest and least-educated workers

Anybody tried out his Cat/LEAP editor's interface to see how it compares with vi/emacs?

The proper term is "modality"

I fucking hate this shit so much I got angry just reading this

No, they are adequate at times. It's too easy to slip onto the close button.

Why not make the close button double-click?

look very non-text tbh

Why would open sores have a tendency to attract trannies and lose non-trannies over time?

That popup dialog that is a nuissance >95% of the time will still save you from accidentally discarding your work once in a blue moon.

hands off my goose, bastard

Autosaves every few minutes are a better way.

few minutes?
why not automatically and transparently? like Sublime Text does

How often do you open a productive program, do some shit with it, and then close it without wanting to save your progress? That shit has saved me countless times.

A normal person can make a lot of progress in a "few minutes", pajeet.

autosaves are garbage. Every editor should have automatic version control.

Autosaves are discarded on close. They are for when the shitty app crashes

found the brainlet

It's happened a lot. I'll start to edit something in vi or create a new file, and then decide what I was going to do is wrong or come up with a better idea, and then just :q!

You're too goddamn finnicky.
Nuisance gone in 0.1 seconds

Often I have two files open but only want to keep the changes in one of them. I've literally never forgot to save my shit, Ctrl+S before close is hardwired into my brain by now.

doesn't x do the same?

all the time, you stupid nigger. for example temporary stuff in notepad. of course i just press the close button and then alt+n

t. retard

Please report yourself to the nearest gassing station immediately.

A real text editor keeps all the opened files in tabs, saves the session if you close the editor, and resumes when you open it again, including files that haven't been saved. And it won't ask for confirmation about tabs that have never been saved as files, and don't have anything in them.

How about you stop using shit software. If I make a program that shows a popup every time you click it, that means my program is shit, not that popups are shit.

way to show your reddit.
lurk more

Geese always terrified me, but
They don't want you dead. They want you to suffer.

Attached: 1394066912763.jpg (214x213, 14.96K)

user we're cute.

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 96.66K)

The only truly unforgivable sin is focus stealing.

Every fucking day!

>focus stealing is a menace

My blood pressure rises when I think about it.

Geese is the reason why "SNK boss" is a trope.

Attached: geese-howard-kof98-ultimate-match.jpg (900x1650, 145.52K)

DON'T
-t. pre-crash troper

?

It seems TV Tropes was infected by the SJW virus.

You have a pdf, buddy?

TV Tropes has always been, and always will be gay. Just like you.

I agree. The UI on the Linux kernel bothers me to no end.

EVERY TIME

That's a great explanation, thanks

The Great Crash, the first time the entire site imploded due to DDOS, and had to be restored from Google/Wayback cache, because Eddie didn't back up anywhere near often enough.

The site's downfall IMHO was before SJWs, and would better be described as a rulecuck/no fun allowed coup in what had before been a pretty much unmoderated site. By the time SJWs really hit around 2012, the site's soul was long dead in my eyes.

Maybe, but much like Zig Forums, it was also fun.

Do you prefer cupboards with glass doors to wooden ones?
Usually it's your system scaling preferences that manage that. My dialogs don't resize at all.
Stop using that 96dpi CRT monitor, gramps. My Retina display does not have this problem. Try visiting those websites on 50% scale to see how they look for normal people.

Mouse is a substitute for lightpen input interface with is in fact a skeuomorph for normal pen which had a predecessor in form of stilo, a carved wooden stick for clay tablets which came as a more robust way to keep data compared to ink and brush on stone which was preceded with finger, ink and stone walls.
A computer mouse and GUI pointers are mix of skeuomorphs for both finger and pen.

UIs should only be a frontend to text commands.

bullshit
do you know about DPI scaling?

Yeah, that analogy actually works better in favor of stable interfaces that better exploit muscle memory.
OP was referring to windows that animate to change size, shape, and position when changing modes.
OP's not referring to different DPI scales, but to having giant buttons and text fields that have labels ten times bigger than body text, to compensate for the imprecision of conductive touchscreens.

My sides. They actually lost data over a fucking DDoS? What database were they using?

Are you talking about when they deleted the awesome tentacle rape page because of google ads? I tink they also dumbed down pages so the tropes listing wasn't very specific. I used to go to a page and see literally hundreds of examples, now it's been "cleaned up". They don't like people documenting tropes for real life personalities or stuff like panty shots.

Don't remember, but judging from their use of some incredibly ancient version of PMWiki, LOOOONG after MediaWiki had become the standard, probably not one up to date or properly configured.

That was a bit later, although it certainly helped accelerate the problem by giving more "justification" for recruiting more mods (from among the worst lickspittles) and giving them more power, in addition to forming sections of the site like TRS & Crowners that functioned solely to cultivate grievance-mongering from busybodies.

Just purging racy stuff (TBH the bulk of that was self-indulgent fanfic filler that didn't show up until newfags came along) would've been infinitely less lame than the bulk of what happened, which was purging "negativity". Anything that expressed disdain, sarcasm, or disapproval, trope or example, was purged. And just for good measure, anything that resembled conversation, humor, irony, wordgames, "obscure" references (seriously! I got three tropes purged due to highschool-level history references!), or worst of all "controversy", no matter how obviously polite and lighthearted, was purged as well.

They deserve everything that happens to them.

Oh shit I just remembered that Internet Backdraft page. Used to be so fun to read about various internet dramas, now it's literally neutered as no examples are allowed.

actually mouse and any other pointers are retarded which OP failed to mention. good luck doing anything productive when all you can do is move a pointer around the screen and slowly press 5 buttons. then again half your PC trash right now lacks keyboard shortcuts

modal windows are cancer period. this includes programs that take 10 seconds to load and then appear. a simple fix window systems could use is to show a window right away and have the program's content appear in it later

Which units should be preferred to design GUI?

I personally think we should go with DPI and vague virtual units or percentages, but I dunno. Thoughts?

+ an expressive DSL for definition of constraints which are solved for specific combinations of fonts, content, DPI, etc.
+ margins, padding, etc. in virtual units which depend on DPI and can also be scaled by user whenever they like
+ same as above for fonts, but it uses different scale, so it can be scaled by user independently

Android is close to this if the application developer is not a shithead.

It depends on the application. Image applications would want to show a picture using 100% zoom at pixel perfect precision, therefore those programs would use pixel units some of the time. Most programs would deal with buttons and text areas and such things, which would be measured using non-pixel measurements. Some professional print programs might want to display a page or a picture in 1:1 scale with real life, so a physical measurement might be useful in those cases. However, not all monitors can guarantee a physical size (projectors for example, but CRTs also to an extent), so the pixel density should generally not be trusted to be in correspondence with physical reality.

36495 pixels have been wasted on this UI. Why are old people so dumb?

Attached: UX.png (180x48, 2.57K)

This is why I get paid the big bucks.

Attached: UX(ExtremeCoolFlat).gif (29x8, 73)

If I have seen further than other men, it's because I have stood on the shoulders of giants.

Attached: UX(ZeroCoolFlat).gif (25x7, 66)

0.00043402777777777775 of a 1080p screen

Attached: TheArchWay.gif (3x3, 37)

I am a big fan of Olia Lialina's even though I always forget her name writings on UI, and feel like tech designers unending quest to make computers as hidden, transparent and invisible as possible is doing us great disservice.
When it comes to computer screens this quest manifests as treating them as paper emulator which is quite poor at it's job.
Both extremes do it. Console purists treat screen as a teletype, macOS hipsters treat it as glossy magazine.
But screen is a screen is a screen. It is important to recognize it as medium of our message and treat it as such.
Disregarding the externals (wires, power supplies, cases and such) for now, screen is made of pixels, both in computer memory and now physically.
Therefore pixels should be fundamental measure of all things on screen.
I know it's inflexible, but I think benefit of less abstraction between hardware and user worth it. Resulting code simplicity is also a nice bonus. And well executed pixelart just looks fucking gorgeous.

I can't even begin to imagine how would Olia approved UI would look like though. Blinkenlights switcheroo of Altair 8800?

So much worse on Windows. The locked parent window cannot be moved, resized or minimized.
Most Linux software seems to be less lock happy, and in the case where one does modal lock, the parent window can still be somewhat manipulated if you want to get it out of the way.
It has been this way since at least Windows 3.x

More on Windows UI retardation: Scroll wheel focus on click instead of on hover! How did they even come up with this when every 3rd party mouse driver back in the Win95 days did it right?

Only if the modal window is still within the bounds of the parent. Otherwise you forget which modal belongs to which parent.

bump