What is going to replace imageboards

At first it was BBS, then it was forums, now it's imageboards, what do you think is going to be the future of shitposting ? Some kind of anonymous twitter asymmetrical 140 char shitposting warfare or a more reddit like approach ?

Attached: photo-original.jpg (1536x1152, 607.09K)

Other urls found in this thread:

ii-net.tk/idec-doc/
en.metapedia.org/wiki/Sayanim
seriot.ch/parsing_json.php
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I don't really need image-boards.
I'm fine with RSS+mailing lists.

There is no reason to replace the current system of shitposting. Only thing that could change is the underlying technology, but simplicity of anonymity, thread-post-[image] model is here to stay. Adding things on top just makes things less efficient and defeats the purpose of imageboards.

reddit

Something completely unmoderated and decentralized. I really hope we can go full circle and get USENET back as a popular venue, but with some way of warding off modern spam and DDOS attacks.

What's wrong with imageboards?

It's being flooded with newfags and shitty mods.

I wasn't thinking about adding things, I was just wondering about what would be the next iteration, maybe something with smartphones where everyone is a node and for some reason said smartphones wouldn't be botnet or that

Discord-like services e.g. matrix

Their days are numbered.

Well OdiliTime is working on an Open source AminoApps alternative called Tavrn.gg
This might be the future, but then again Matrix could take majority of the FOSS group-chat market.

Reddit is the ultimate and the end goal. There will be nothing beyond the subreddit that is Zig Forums tech.

Attached: liberty-reserve-kapatildi.png (808x550, 248.82K)

No matter where you go that will always be the case unless you become a hitler mod and chase away all but the 7 most hardcore autistic users.

You're contradicting yourself here, you know that?

Grow the fuck up. Desktops are phasing out for everyone except autistic gaymers while everyone else who actually works for a living spends more time on a mobile devices.

something like freenet FMS except with support for something like HTML in posts, or any kind of formatting, with inline images and videos for starters. now to sit back as some faggot implements this with HTML and it is a buggy piece of AIDS with CSRF and XSS issues

there's a phone behind this post

I'm sure your "work" is very important.

Facebook
It adds the benefit that we can delegate to a big company the task of filtering illegal content and illegal opinions.
As a matter of fact, they could even get government subsidies, since they have the infrastructure to rapidly identify Internet criminals using their platform.
It's win-win, a very small price to pay for the greater good.

Not him but what about people born after 2010 who were growing up with tablets and phones, to whom a relatively small touch-operated screen is the most natural way to interact with a computing device? Won't they find desktop computers clunky and go back to using a phone/tablet whenever possible?

also
The jurisdiction of none of murrikan TLAs is global

Only time will tell. They need to change the branding for gitgud.tv as well.

Desktops and laptops will be delegated to people who want to get stuff done

Imageboards will never die. Shitpost forever.

Attached: sanic.png (1024x534, 163.21K)

Theoretically, but many effectively operate globally because who's going to stop them most of the time.

That's like someone 40 or 50 years ago saying that only touch typists will be able to get work done. As time has proved, most people never bothered to learn touch typing because hunting and pecking is what they started with and changing that is too much of a hurdle to them. Similarly nowadays you have kids who type faster with their thumbs on a touch screen than with two or even four fingers on a keyboard. Using a keyboard will be stiff and unnatural to them and they will avoid it whenever possible, sticking to the touchscreens they grew up with (similarly how the average desktop user from the past few decades would avoid trying to use a home row typing method because of it making them very slow initially and them being unwilling to invest time and effort into becoming proficient at it). In the end laziness and habit always win, just like water or electric current always take the path of least resistance.

The only thing that will kill imageboards, for me anyway, is the total corruption and ruination of the Internet as we know it, probably by the hands of the US government. There will come a day, be it tomorrow or in 20 years, when unconstitutional kike legislation makes it impossible to have anonymous discussion on the web. Following that, the place of imageboards will probably be overtaken by some kind of decentralized forum system.

A new custom protocol, instead of trying to cram everything into web. Something simpler, like old school text protocols, but tailored for chan-style boards and threads. Something so simple you can even telnet to the port and read or post right there. The kind of simplicity that makes programming clients a piece of cake.

So basically HTTP?

No, more like Gopher and Usenet.

hmmmm...

Usenet is designed for posting messages though. And you can run server-side scripts on gopher, it's just much more limited. You could extend it as needed, or make a new, simple protocol that does exactly what's needed for a chan. But more likely I'd just use a BBS instead, since it's safer from FOSTA type crap (and I used BBS long before chans existed, and I like how they work).

Gopher is broken garbage, which fails at basic task of transmitting documents.

Actually might work. Here's bunch of related slav autism: ii-net.tk/idec-doc/

Attached: 14745752108170.jpg (143x200, 5.8K)

Why don't we, you know, actually use Usenet instead of taking its protocols and turning it into somthing obtuse and obscure? Usenet being dead is just a thing people say. It still has all it's old celeberties, it's just that they don't care too much anymore. Should a chan exodus happen to Usenet, I think it would be a much better place. The Autistic Army could probably take out the spam mailers and distribute better-made killlfiles. Post quality would go up compared to chans because Usenet requires a higher-bar of entry than the chans, and the distributed killfiles would ban Google Groups, Thunderbird, Windows Live mail, and other bullshit clients/spam gateways. Usenet can have a renisance. Zig Forums pretty much is like Usenet, a few popular boards with option to make more. I highly advise you to consider this. We could make Usenet as great as it was pre-web, and hell pre-2007. The internet will be great once again, especially after the upcomming death of Twitter, Facebook, and Google. It'll be wholly ours and we should prepare for the end of the consumer internet NOW rather than later. we're pinheads now, and in the near-future the internet will return to a thing for the Geeks and the Nerds and the Students. Hope connections will be a thing of the past. I AM EXCITED, AREN'T YOU?

And a simplified overview of that autism:

0) that's basically simplified FIDONet (USENET-like network, played role of USENET in (post-)USSR)
1) board = list of message ids
2) message = message body + subject + target board. ID is cropped hash of message
3) network has two kind of active nodes - node and point
4) node - stores boards, messages, periodically exchanges new messages with other nodes. Basically F2F network of servers.
5) point - petty shitposter. Can send messages to some node, which allows him to do it.
6) How node serve messages to readers is up to them: old-school reader-runs-his-own-node, web access, terminal access, NNTP gates, etc
7) design is purposefully protocol agnostic, defining data formats first: point->node, nodenode data exchange can happen any way. Described are HTTP based exchange and plain file exchange

I never actually "learned" how to touch-type, simply growing up hunting and pecking from around the age of 7, but by the time I was 16, I was surprised to discover I had unconsciously acquired the ability to touch-type through sheer repetition.

USENET is very much dead for two reasons: Spam, and free access being dropped by ISPs after a scaremongering campaign in the 2000s about CP, seriously, history repeats itself.
That wasn't enough. I was there in the late-90s when the spammers hit, and absolutely nothing got rid of them. I think adding CAPTCHA whitelists would probably be the only way for USENET to survive spammers.

Social media already replaced imageboards. Imageboard users are either dinosaurs who can't move on or young outcasts who have no friends on social media.

Facebook has

You can't even say cianigger or gas the jews on social media.

Microblogging
Twitter is dying but there's a significant overlap between Twitter users and adults who were raised by imageboards as adolescents. My guess would be anyone who fucked off from 4chan and didn't go to reddit went there instead. What replaces Twitter once it's done purging non-corporate users is the ten-million dollar question, but Gab has non-zero growth and GNU Social is sitting pretty for those who care to use it. Whether Gab will screw their own fuckhole is one question, since Twitter was apparently tolerable back in the day, when they were laissez faire, and there's not much stopping Gab from going that route too. The other question is whether the Mastodon menace will fuck over GNU Social, although the worst that can happen to that is a fracturing of the federation into two, not necessarily death.
Still, the future is microblogging. The only downside is having to sign up for an account.

Attached: 1519344797656.jpg (635x517, 54.29K)

wat

Imageboard simulation. Just some bots scraping and reposting content from other sites and generating inane conversations.

Attached: 1520143404372.jpg (720x960, 83.7K)

usenet

The future of shitposting is in AI

Attached: ba7.jpg (680x887, 73.75K)

Sorry, I'm not buying it.

Imageboard memes have been leaking into normiespace for a long time now. Shit, this Thanksgiving it will have been 10 years since Rick Astley was hired to rickroll the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade.

vrchat

Attached: Meanwhile in VRchat Feb 18, 2018 ยท Clipped by sargentgrif 2,736 views AT-194708063-640x360.mp4 (630x360 1.99 MB, 2.11M)

Usenet is from an era before "Weaponized Autism". We, the ones who have responses to problems that arise faster than the people who actually built the thing, could bring upon a rebirth with spam, sure, but up-to-the-minute spam filtration. After the fall of the centralized services, I don't see how the normies could continue to use the internet. No YouTube, no Facebook, no Snapchat, Twitter, Instagram, Google. It will truly be our Internet again. The creation of the Cable Comany's "Bundle" will no longer exist, and it'll be not like the DotCom bubble but like the 80's.

Take this example from American History. In the 1860's there was a major banking crisis, that was as bad as The Great Depression. The difference in the 1860's was that America had not yet become a fully-industralized nation. People simply returned to farming.e economy recovered. Now, the actual period known as "The Great Depression" ws different. America had married the Industrial Complex, and a return to Farming was impossible. he New Deal helped save the capitalist system. There was a revolt movement (which I, as a retrospective viewer, support) with people such as Heuey Long leading. It lost.

Now, I want you to look at the Dotcom Bubble as the crisis of the 1860's. It was Y2K. Internet's a neat new thing, but it's still over the phone line and mostly nerds use it. THE UPCOMMING COLLAPSE OF THE INTERNET GIANTS WILL BE THE GREAT DEPRESSION.

Why is this important? Well, The New Deal saved the major industristies. Coal, Steel, Timber were all saved (or were attempting to be saved under New Deal). Trump is in the WH, and people are pissed off at these services. There will be no bail-out, no New Deal. will have achieved a national crisis of nothing-to-do and in the interum people will panic and hoard their spicy memes. As the market for free-time continues to collapse and people are reduced to their basic communication protocols (say, the normie eventually can only use SMS and actual phone conversations) we will reach a new era. The bitterness will be a long one, but happy days will be here again (for us) as we will be left to inhabit No Man's Land as the idiotic people die from having no public Dole to leech off of.

Actual normies migrated to that.

The absolute state of this board.
Imma make a gnunet social networking framework ans you are not invited.

None of these are actually used for any productive purpose. 99% of normalfag activity with any economic consequence still happens over email or by filling out forms and downloading PDFs on private (government agencies, banks, insurers, employers, clients, etc.) websites.

The popular advent and demise of voluntary consumer datamining"social media" over the last decade will be seen as a brief, mildly amusing fever dream, upheld for just a moment as the foolish aspiration of a single generation's manchildren.

the future of shitposting will be a communication platform / internet protocol hosted on the blockchain, with no moderation, that is illegal to browse because every government has banned it.

anything short of this is shit and will eventually be invaded by normalffags, black people, and moralfags.

ban Zig Forums btw.

opinion disregarded

The takedowns by the American government are, more often than not, a transparent proxy for corporate interests. This is why piracy sites are so quick to get the axe.

non-CP Imageboards, by not driving popular discourse or depreciating the profit and ambitions of most corporations, are largely left to exist with only occasional legal assaults. Almost any other discussion site of higher userbase does not need too much legal pressure, as they already have to submit to advertisers or investors to keep the lights on.

For example, the staff of Reddit, Twitter, Youtube, etc. are not particularly proactive in their suppression of content for ideological purposes, but rather, are reactive to revenue loss. To go out of their way and censor would require expending resources, so they only do it as a response to a threat from more resources being lost through ad revenue. An example of proactive censorship are Chinese sites like Weibo or Bilibili, where the latter has people manually approving each video for upload to meet censorship standards.

P2P forums, chat rooms, and imageboards on networks like ZeroNet and RetroShare.

in a decade there will be a merge between reddit facebook twitter and linkedn AND your bank account, and in 2 decades it will become popular

of course youtube censors shit, they've deleted conspiracy videos for a long time, and now they're targeting them with an algorithm:

"If you search and click on a conspiracy theory video about, say, chemtrails, YouTube will now link to a Wikipedia page that debunks the hoax alongside the video. A video calling into question whether humans have ever landed on the moon might be accompanied by the official Wikipedia page about the Apollo Moon landing in 1969. Wojcicki says the feature will only include conspiracy theories right now that have "significant debate" on the platform.

What happens if you search "sayanim" on youtube? Do they redirect here instead of wikipedia?
en.metapedia.org/wiki/Sayanim

Could someone make a timeline graphic showing how these are interrelated and were influencing/succeeding one another and in what form?

this is pure cancer. a video sharing platform should simply allow people to share videos. fuck off your stupid governance. i have never unironically visited youtube since it's inception, you could already smell the cancer in aidstube just from the way people were talking about it when it started

It's just a link to wikipedia. There is no requirement for people to follow the link, it is completely optional to follow it. Calm down.

They only delete competent Political tier conspiracy videos or historical revisionist ones. There no shortage of retarded tier ones that propose alien bases on the moon or that dinosaurs are made up etc. As long as it's politically neutral or making outlandish claims they're fine with it, naturally

All of those platforms are social media, you imbecile.

...and Brain-damaged Spastic Posters, who just spread Memetic Cancer of behavour (in the Dawkins sense of the word) everywhere.

For example, Zig Forums is fucked because the "LARP as Extreme Right Ubermench" shit gets everywhere, and everyone who posts interesting OC get sick of the thread derailments by the 15-going-on-30 year olds who're going to dedicate the rest of their lives to being boardcancers. ("Hurr it keeps the place Real by driving all the SJWs away hurr!" ...no, you're just a weak-minded fuckwit whose life is controlled by negative-sum memes. Kill yourself.)

Other forums have similar problems with different self-perpetuation anti-social behaviors. (Even USENET was in the same boat-- all the Windows95 50yo basement-dwellers, along with the spammers, made it a base-- and made everyone take off.)

Killfiles and Scorefiles were an effective means of dealing with, up to a point, and they need to be usable and actively used by the users. WHY THE FUCK DOES THIS 30 YEAR OLD IDEA NEVER GET REINTRODUCED. FUCK. Imageboards could bolt it on relatively easily-- automatic hiding of threads by keyword and persistent poster IDs (at least for the board being visited) would do it-- if done in a way that should be doable with a right-click or two. Unfortunately other sites like Reddit have an admin culture that wants centralized moderation for Thought Dictation reasons.

Attached: 3940316668_230b9477d8_o.jpg (413x227, 52.78K)

That's another side-effect of USENET's all pre-web online stuff. Instead of being cobbled together in AJAX that have to be all things to all people, they were documented APIs that anybody could write clients or servers for. This meant it was easy for people to come up with new features like killfiles, especially in the case of USENET, due to its unique decentralized structure.

That sort of thing lives on in the few legacy services like eMail & IRC, but newer services like Skype, Twitter, and Discord don't abide by this philosophy.

RFCs where want _made_ the Internet.

here do I talk about NN? I am saying that by the ruiles of Capitalism the lack of things to do on the internet will mean the ISPs will be unable to keep offering bundles hanks to comsumers thinking "why use the internet? What do I have to do on it?". My belief is that due to this, thome connection to the internet qwill soon be a thing to the past. It will be such a shock to society that a moral outrage would last quite a few years until all the manchildren finally stop crying, go home, and watch DVDs or something. After this, with no bailouts to Snapchat or Facebook; with no help to the government or a public dole funding normie memes [aka anti-FDR/Hewey Long's Method] we will return to an internet with a high bar of entry where the nerd (and the ham radio operator, and the US Gov and the Student) will reign supreme. We may even be reduced back to the days of dial-up. This, I say, is a good thing. I look forward to this.

Lemme give you a timeline that might help illistrate my view of the future:

2020- Facebook, Twitter no longer exist, Microsoft has failed. Mom and pop sites serving as short-term replacements come up and down frequently.

2022-With major services that had been a backbone to the normieverse gone, people resort to Instant Messaging services like Snapchat. (I will use Snapchat as aplaceholder for an IM network as a whole)

2023- Youtube finally dies, and google with it.

2024- Snapchat gets an Anti-Trust suite it easily loses after publiuc outrage based on the knolwedge of the previous two decade's bamboozlement on Facebook, Twitter. Netflix, a company that has struggled since 2017 has declared bankruptcy. Redbox becomes dominate rental service. People return to Over the Air tv, if they chose to at all.

2028- IM services become things of the past, normies are reduced to telephone, SMS, and kik (though Kik has become so esoteric it is more of its own community at this point).

2030- More and more, the home internet connection becomes a rarity, as the normie has less and less to do on the internet. Why pay for it?

2032 - The end of the Bundle of Cable TV+ Internet. Cable companies struggle as the downfall of TV existed in the previous decade. This is the dawn of the end of the Commercial ISP.

2034- With fewer and fewer ISP's, the price of ISP service continues to grow according to the rules of supply and demand.It becomes $40/,m to $80/m to eventually $200/m before finally being a service of the past. No one wishes to pay this much money for a service they are using sparringly

2038- The World Wide Web becomes more or less a thing of the past

2040- The Nerd Rennesaince. UUCP makes a comeback, people use telephone lines and use batch-transfers. POTS becomes a commercial service again that people love. BBS becomes tlocal hobbies of computer nerds, and the bar of entry to the internet is as high as it was in the APRANET era. It will truly be ours yet again. We have achieved "The Revenge of the Nerds".

Nice fiction, nerd, but governments will make Internet access mandatory for all citizens by 2025. Mark my words.

Is there any dank mailing list you would recommend joining for shits and giggles?

this, is there any tech-related mailing list

feels bad 2 bee u

Your scenario is very unlikely. Here's a more plausible timeline:

2020 - Facebook tanks, is replaced with even more invasive and psychologically manipulative Facebook 2.0.

2022 - Facebook 2.0 and google is integrated with normalfag power meters

2023 - Youtube is finally integrated into your refrigerator through iot bullshit. Google stocks soar.

2024 - Body rights for plebs is abolished through vaccine propaganda about measles in Uganda. Following shortly, iot google rectal probes become mandatory.

2025 - You commit suicide.

2030 - A milestone is achieved where every product made anywhere is connected to the internet.

2031 - The UN begins a vast project of connecting all trees and animals to the internet too

2035 - Google brain implants become the new fad

2037 - Google brain implants become mandatory

2040 - The UN high council in Jerusalem votes unanimously to turn off higher brain functions in the pleb population to stop terrorism once and for all

What's wrong with the current system. I like how it works mostly. It can be polished alot but the underlying concept is okay.

You can't be so pessemistic. That is the worst-case senario. he commerical internet has only lasted in the mainstream for 30 years. It will eventually have a decline. It won't last for ever. think my optomistic timeline is closer than your timeline. Besides, if that happened DOTR would be inevitable. it'd literally fight or suicide, and I think there'd be enough people who'd fight their final fight.

Attached: 20070315.gif (468x532, 37.88K)

nigga who the fuck puts a dash between image and board? you must be a ledditor :^)

So (you) couldn't possibly imagine going back to a world without the internet? Maybe you don't remember it because you were born after 1995?

Brainlet reply. I'm the one who made the hypothetical timeline in this thread where the internet doesn't exist anymore after the Normieweb fails and by 2040 with the normalfags gone, and the home internet connection a thing of the past, we have a nerd-rennesaince. where on earth did I say that i couldn't imagine a world without the internet? Rather, I'm saying the complete oppisite!

Attached: 1478031425519.jpg (500x555, 96.65K)

It's hard to be optimistic when everything gets worse every day. I'd love for your scenario to be true. I too am nostalgic as fuck for the good old days when there was an intelligence barrier for entry on the internet. Sure, there were a lot of annoying proto-plebbitors around, but still it was heaven compared to today. What I wouldn't give for a renaissance like the one you portray.

But I have to be realistic. The internet is here to stay as a peasant control grid, believing otherwise is deluding yourself. Evil people run the show, intel was always inside. I see no signs of that changing any time soon. Today I watched some hearing with that faceberg fucker related to the whitewashed "leaks" bullshit. Did they press him on his vast operation datamining for CIA niggers? No, they were asking him why his company isn't diverse enough. And you tell me to be optimistic.

Perhaps we can have our utopia on some hidden outskirt platform one day. That's the best outcome as far as I can tell and it ain't much.

Attached: Harald.jpg (978x550, 102.01K)

Nothing for me beat usenet shitposting. That era was glorious.

Oh and you forgot the SA forum faggotry stage that birthed imageboards (into the west).

Zig Forums is hosted in phillippines yes? USA has literally drone striked islands in the phillippines with rodrigo's cooperation. they could seize any domain if they wanted to outside of russia or iran.

No.

Another alt.tasteless alumni?

N.T. Technology is based in the Phillipines. 2ch/5ch and Zig Forums's servers are hosted in the US.

>particular mechanical quirks of the imageboard format, such as limited formatting, ephemeral threads of limited lifespan, having to load entire threads with all full posts, and cultural bias toward flat rather than branching thread topology, are necessarily ideal for most shitposters

Attached: SHIGGYDIGGY.jpg (894x894, 368.45K)

imageboards

you wouldn't need mods on a decentralized text board with a word filter for links

So , Mastadon ?

has any imageboard ever had an oekaki style ansi drawing tool? aren't there cyberpunk fag boards? seems like it'd be right up their alley.

bring that moronic shit to my projects and i'll smack you in the face is all i'm saying. everything these web shotters do is cringe

dude i dont have the energy to read that first paragraph. people will still pay for internet no matter how bad it gets. that's how consumerism works. also the net was still shit before the normalfag takeover of the 2000s. simple solution: make something better and let leet niggas on while normalfags go suck theirselves off

this

Like 20 things already 'replaced' imageboards. It is a good format for open discussion so it hasn't left.

DID SOMEBODY SAY TRIANGLES?

Attached: 50edce7460932417d939ed8b445b2d6d9a1a7576325498f4dbb9f80c9f673623.jpg (502x600, 50.54K)

Pajeetchan
indiachan.com

One thing I miss from BBS days is MUDs. How nobody has thought to implement them on imageboards is beyond me.

Attached: trade_wars.png (640x400, 4.92K)

Retarded.
Persistent site, or board-wide, IDs allow for faggots like yourself to go trawling around the entire board finding people who disagree with you so you can sperg out in every thread. You may as well join a fucking forum at that point.

Thread-persistent IDs make somewhat more sense, but even then, you're going to have limp-wristed homosexuals getting worked up about independent posts because that same user said something mean somewhere prior in the thread.

Attached: 1460038377726.gif (280x210, 1.41M)

forums haven't been replaced

egyptians were slaves

go home /o/

If only.

????

Yes, they would, and it sucks. They lose much freedom of movement when using such a shit interface.

Hopefully. A return to telnet or usenet would fit right in for imageboards.

Get rid of HTML and have messageboards use their own lightweight XML protocol so you don't need a big inefficient snooped-on browser.

JSON is better because it repeats information less often. This removes the need for compression, which speeds everything up (slightly) and simplifies software.

seriot.ch/parsing_json.php

>"JSON is awful, because I care about the correctness of parsing a lot. The parsers are often permissive! and some don't accept accept edge cases which no sane person would produce!"
Good one.

Attached: kek.webm (624x352, 1.36M)