LynxChan 2.0: Magnus

LynxChan is an imageboard engine I started developing in 2015 with performance and flexibility in mind. It now powers several chans, with some having a good amount of traffic, like mewch.net and endchan.xyz

LynxChan 2.0 has entered it's beta with a stable release scheduled for 19/05.
It brings easily the biggest changes ever made in the project's nearly 3 years of existence, having completely changed templating and caching.
Now offering around 5 times better performance when serving pages and 50 times better performance when building pages it is trully deserving of a major version bump.
Along with these optimizations it includes the following features:

Links to board staff on board moderation page.
Page with details for media files, including a list of posts that use the file.
Implemented "remember me" on logins.
Thread's bump order is adjusted when replies are deleted.
Setting to configure the cache expiration of static files.
Optional headers and footers on pages.
Setting to completely hide unindexed boards.
E-mail confirmation.
Terminal command to change account's password.
E-mail notifications of reports made to content you can moderate.
Configurable limit of board message sizes.

The project's repository is at gitgud.io/LynxChan/LynxChan and my demo site is lynxhub.com

Attached: 2.0Logo.png (2142x2093, 168.84K)

Other urls found in this thread:

boats.gitlab.io/blog/post/2018-04-06-async-await-final/
aturon.github.io/2018/04/06/futures2/
github.com/rust-lang/rust/tree/master/src/libstd
pastebin.com/135T1DTx
lynxhub.com/boards.js?json=1
youtube.com/watch?v=b2F-DItXtZs
mongodb.com/who-uses-mongodb
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Come back when you work with nextchan

t-thanks i guess

Imagine my shock

Too bad it's made with pajeetscript, could be great otherwise.

Why are you spamming your shit on every single chan???????

Because I only make one thread like this every 6 months.

alright. cool. but when are you going to rewrite it in rust?

kek

that might actually be preferable

I prefer node.js bloat shit compared to php bloat shit

Rust will soon (September 20018) have async/await and futures in the std.
boats.gitlab.io/blog/post/2018-04-06-async-await-final/
aturon.github.io/2018/04/06/futures2/
Exciting stuff!

Attached: steve klabnik.jpg (1400x933, 384.3K)

Because I am a fag who likes it up the ass

huehuehue

Attached: steve klabnik.jpg (1024x1056, 222.88K)

How big is a static amd64 hello world in Rust?

LARPer detected

Well a hello world in Go is a meg, which is why I'm wondering about Rust.

why are you wondering about the binary size of hello world? how is this relevant?

The point of my question was not "how good is the compiler" but "how much chaff does Rust bundle into a static executable"

this much: github.com/rust-lang/rust/tree/master/src/libstd

It bundles the entire stdlib with any given static executable?

Yes?

Mmm, I sure do look good with my beanie and hoodie.

This thread is already dead.

Attached: not an argument.jpg (500x534, 39.03K)

i pretty much hate everything about rust but if the choice is between node.js and rust, i think i would have to give it to rust.
all the anti-rust arguments go out the window compared to node.js
so is node.js
rust has to be faster than node.js
atleast rust is compiling it down to a binary

There are none. It's just butthurt anti Rust shills repeating the same inane shit everytime.

Attached: steve klabnik 2.jpg (1280x720, 61.78K)

Fucking hell here we go again

And assembly is faster than rust. Not that anyone wants to write it.

the point is this should have been written in pure holy C not the blasphemous node.js

make me want to write an imageboard in python-django since we're now writing imageboards in whatever language we want.

I do, on 80's computers.

Nigga, that's eighteen thousand and a half years from now.

Amazing release!
Thank you for all your hard work, StephenLynx!!

Attached: qt.gif (100x100, 36.59K)

based steve

StephenLynx is a little "webdev" faggot who knows nothing about programming or database performance, and this kind of self-promotional threads should be banned.

Hey NodeLynx

why did half the comments on this thread get deleted?

rustposting.

Really? What is wrong with lynxchan then?

it's written in node.js, as explained in the deleted comments.

And being fast, stable and comprehensible is bad? I really don't get your point.

Unless you are implying that things are bad just because you are biased against them?

Attached: 1355294662597.jpg (937x470, 273.66K)

compared to what?

Why don't you post something you're working on? Oh what's that, you're not doing anything?

Ok so shut the fuck up.

Everytime LynxChan comes into a discussion everyone proceeds to shitpost on it. Why is this the case? Do you not realize how valuable and rare good imageboard software is? There is simply nothing that can hold a spoon to LynxChan, as there is no free and open source imageboard software that is even maintained properly anymore OTHER THAN LynxChan. Here is a list for you.

It's dead and bug ridden. No support except for a few experienced administrators and kind folk who will help you out.

Absolutely no support at all and dead.

Ron and Jim have their feet so far up their ass they forgot what "git commit" is. Also, Infinity itself was never fully open. The code related to Oauth and Banners was never published for some unknown reason.

Again, there is simply no other imageboard software that can compare to LynxChan. In features, support, extensibility, and maintenance. StephenLynx has done the entire imageboard admin/community scene a massive favor by developing it. I've spoken with him in IRC, and he has always listened to my criticisms about the software. This thread's "criticism" is a mere circlejerk about the language it is written in.

"Good software" and "javascript" are mutually exclusive.

To anything else that is currently in use by anything other than the developer's site.

t. asm pro

I doubt that.
The claim that popular sites using the software are faster then currently used software is also kinda of a shit thing to say, because the only real competition your software has is some speggeticode that was made by some 13 year old faggot, phpejeet code made by a genetic dud, and joshcode.
There isn't really much competition when it comes to wide adaption, and endchan isn't even that large when compared to others.
Lynx when loading threads (especially ones with lots of replies )has always been a problem and the posting speeds I've experienced on endchan weren't all that faster then Zig Forums not to mention that endchan can't keep the site up for shit having the main url break several times already.
But, i know endchan does some fuckery with your software when it comes to it's frontend, so it might not be your fault for most of the slowdowns/uncompetence to keep site function up.

Now you're just being retarded.

Attached: 5aa81b00aae869c7341a2202e284aff794e8f2841f3d6111f4aa0dfcaebc31aa.jpg (1195x1080, 181.86K)

Endchan is using a version that went EOL nearly 6 months ago and they have fucked around it. Try mewch. They have much more traffic and are using 2.0 that have been heavily optimized.

Then it might not be that easy to make an engine, don't you think?

And I am not being retarded, people meme on js but it is the least worst scripted language out there. The ecosystem is rich, the language is intuitive to use as long as you have a modicum of discipline and the interpreters are extremely optimized.

Go suck you own dick somewhere else. It's not any harder than any other forum/social media website, in fact it's probably easier. It's just nobody besides turbo autists want to do it because there's 0 money in it and the userbase will inevitably shit all over you instead of showing any sign of gratitude.

Then you are just a freeloader that likes to bitch about anyone doing anything?

And you are making sure of that, ain't you?

More like no one is autistic enough to try, imageboard software is pretty much dead.

Attached: filth.png (753x753, 606.01K)

Nobody is bitching about new imageboard software, people are bitching about you using a fucking terrible language to make it.

They are bitching because I am not doing things 110% the way they think it should be done, despite the fact they don't do anything.

I haven't seen a single argument as to why js and/or node is bad other than

Attached: benchmark3.png (828x926 151.33 KB, 93.27K)

Can you show me an engine that is not used exclusively by it's developer that is developed with any of those tools that are faster than node?

Attached: benchmark6.png (471x913 98.73 KB, 151.88K)

can you show me any benchmark that shows your engine is faster than the others?

Yes, back in the day odili ran bechmarks that showed lynxchan being about 5x faster than vichan.

2.0 is about 5x faster than that when serving from the cache alone.

pastebin.com/135T1DTx

I don't have the benchmark of the other engines around, but you can see from the language benchmarks here that node is only behind compiled languages and infer from that.

this needs to be benchmarked against other chans for common operations if you want to make the argument that it's any faster. i'll give you that optimized node.js would probably be faster than shit optimized anything else.

According to general benchmarks, any node js code that isn't utter garbage is way faster than any other scripted language, specially the ones aimed at web backends.

And be my guest if you want to give those dead horses another beating. Last time odili said there wasn't even a comparison to begin with.

>>>/g/

i'm not the one trying to convince anyone that lynx is a better imageboard software than anything else. your the one who is going to have to come up with benchmarks.

Have fun at mt. stupid.

I just gave you a benchmarks. If you think any other engine can compare to that, despite the underlying technology used, I am not interested in doing the thinking for you.

I've been digging into Lynxchan, OpenIB and some other software for a project recently. Lynxchan is the only one I'd consider running myself but that's mostly because the others are so aggressively terrible.
A lot of things in Lynxchan seem like they're not developed with users in mind. It's a weird pattern where they're not even lazily executed, but still badly usable.
Take the JSON interface. All pages have a JSON version providing the same information. But they never provide anything more. If you want to get a list of all boards you have to go through all of the (tiny) board pages, one by one, while OpenIB puts everything in boards.json and calls it a day. That's not just harder to work with, it must have been harder to develop. It's perplexing.
Or the catalog. OpenIB gives you thread stubs in roughly the same format as elsewhere, but Lynxchan omits all information that's not in the HTML version, which means you get the thumbnails but no full image URLs. It's going through extra effort to tell you less. Some software is made for humans, some software is made for computers, but Lynxchan is made for aliens.
OpenIB has better usability but the insides are garbage. I found multiple security holes while trying to figure out how it worked.

You do not.
lynxhub.com/boards.js?json=1

Look harder.

Also, I have been putting more data into the json pages, but I only do when the necessity arises, like how recently I added the markdown message of threads on catalog of board information on thread pages.

Thank you, that's good to know - but Endchan provides them paged even with json=1, and I do want to support Endchan.
I acknowledge that problem doesn't exist in current Lynxchan.

Ah yes, it is paged alright.
That is because the data is fetched from a single place and then the plain text is formed based on the same data either on json or html.

The size of pages is configurable by the site. I implemented this way to prevent abuse. That way if the site wants to serve everything on a single page they can, otherwise they can split in how many pages they wish.

What kind of abuse? Could boards.js be cached?

Hardly, every single post made on the site would change it. Unless you change the logic around and either give delayed or reduced information there.

lurk moar

Is that supposed to be there?

That is not tbh
:^)

Yup, this was introduced in 2.0 with the new mongodb driver changing something around.
It is ignoring the projection I set and outputting all fields.

Oh fuck me. They changed it so you don't pass the projection directly, but an object with the projection on a field. This is going to be a pain in the ass.

W E W

pajeetware btfo

And fixed.

MongoDB.

And I assume mongo is bad because you say so?

Because everyone who knows their shit says so.
youtube.com/watch?v=b2F-DItXtZs

Also, it doesn't use a Lisp dialect, much less a good one like Scheme, but I'll omit that because
1) you're a brainlet
2) pretty much no one writes web servers in Scheme, unfortunately

Oh yeah, some shitty animation on the youtube sure showed me.
mongodb.com/who-uses-mongodb
You should spread the word to mongo's customers, make them see the light, obviously when it comes to technology

google
ups
cisco
facebook
ebay
ea

and all those others are as intelligent as my cat.

Ah, I see, you are just shitposting.
I'll stop taking the bait then.

Yeah, Google doesn't use mongoDB to power its data crunching, nor does Facebook, nor does Ebay. They use reliable, ACID, time-proven SQL DBMS.
Do you REALLY think the Google ranking algorithms operate on MongoDB databases? Come on, Esteban. You can do better than that.

node.js is shit, mongodb is shit, your chan is shit for using them, and your a fag for writing this abomination.

Pajeetscript? Do you mean Javascript?
The chan itself is not JavaScript, but as long as client pages don't require I use it (trivial to remove it anyway), I don't care.

Attached: one_lynxchan_shilling2.png (800x854, 501.57K)

THANK YOU LYNXCHAN

If you don't care what the backend is like then you shouldn't have a problem with Zig Forums's tangled PHP duct tape trash backend either, since the frontend works ok.

blazechan is faster.

t. armchair developer

both have no features so it doesn’t really matter

These are both true

Really? What kind of feature do you think it's missing from lynxchan?

well users for one

Like this?

Attached: Screenshot from 2018-04-10 09-09-27.png (1920x1080, 207.49K)

The lack of a serious front end for it is a deal breaker. Every FE out there is essentially the default FE with bad JS bolted on. Yeah penumbra is a thing, but they stopped majorly changing things after the front page.