System Shock for Mac Classic

System Shock for MetroWorks has been GPL'd.
You can port it forward to Carbon or Cocoa and Intel, or port it to Windows, GNU, BSD, Haiku, and even homebrew consoles.

Big deal, source ports soon?
System Shock for MetroWorks has been GPL'd.
github.com/NightDiveStudios/shockmac

Attached: 974186.png (800x600 9.46 KB, 55.85K)

Other urls found in this thread:

quaddicted.com/reviews/ad_v1_70final.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

What a great game, too bad the game content is still covered by EULA.

That's still true of Doom and Quake and others.

Someone could make a FreeShock with the engine if they wanted to.

game content is so trivially easy to obtain that a EULA means nothing.

So Carmack only opened up the games' engine code but not the assets?

Why did the game flop back in its day? Was it the complicated and confusing control scheme and clunky interface, or the fact that it would bring to their knees even the beefiest PCs of the time, or a combination of these?

It was critically and commercially successful enough for a sequel.

One of the problems (not the biggest i think) was that they gave the inferior floppy version to reviewers.

That would be a big problem as reviewers garnered more trust back then.

DUDE, BRUTALSYSTEMSHOCK! LMAO!

Please refrain from using the singular they.

It's still less sjw than using "she" as a generic singular pronoun.

Yes.
This is irrelevant for porting, and still benefits everyone.

What else to use if the gender is unknown or totally irrelevant? "xer"? that would be full SJW bullshit indeed.

He

Neutral masculine isn't something new, retard.

Did I stutter?

System Shock controls are unnecessary complex, using the mouse to move your character is not a bad thing. It worked in Ultima Underworld because range of movement was limited compared to SS. In SS you can lean left and right, duck, go prone look up and down, strafe and turn all with both the keyboard and through the HUD using the mouse. All this combined with claustrophobic map, item management, and how the game runs on DOSBox makes for a terrible experience.
Now the engine is open source, maybe a simple update to run at 60 fps in a higher resolution is enough to get a enjoyable experience, at least for me. Because in DOSBox I can't take it.

Don't forget two stages of crouching in addition to normal standing.

It's only in recent years games removed leaning and stand/crouch/prone. I don't even understand why someone would complain of leaning, it's much better than the retarded third-person cover on boxes placed everywhere that every game uses now.

Leaning is not the problem. It was really useful in both Thief games and Deus Ex.
But for a game such as System Shock, such amount of possible actions doesn't add anything, stealth is not a key in the gameplay, since you have many choices of guns plus augmentation to deal with some enemies. The controls should be more focused and, thankfully, they fixed it in SS2.

you did

Leaning isn't just for stealth, it reduces how exposed you are to being shot at.

Did you actually played the game or you are just being a contrarian for whatever reason?
Because it's so awkward to pull this movement that its easier to just lure enemies around corners. In later levels, with some cyborgs that do a fucking huge amount of damage that can be viable, but at that point you have the laser sword and can mostly one shot common enemies.

SS1 I didn't, so I don't know if they fucked it up, but usually it's useful like in Deus Ex.

iD cloned UU/SS prerelease coverage with dumbed down games that beat it to release, allowing iD to define what an FPS is in public consciousness.

This set the genre back at least a decade, as concepts like NPCs, inventories, environmental interaction, scripting, rooms over rooms, sloping surfaces, and even the ability to look up had to be gradually reintroduced to the drooling masses created by iD.

Yeah, the controls in SS are pretty weird, since it was the first FPS, the devs seem to have been thinking like a combination of classic arcade game, flightsim, and dungeon crawler.

And don't forget that the keys are HARDCODED. I had to remap them in ResEdit back in the day.

One other interesting innovation of SS I hope comes back is separating character rotation from aim. Other examples of games like that were Cyberflix's old node-based FPS titles (Lunicus, Jump Raven, Redjack, etc.), and Ambrosia's lightweight mecha game Avara. Seems like something that would make VR easier to patch onto a game (in fact, Marathon's "glance" commands originated with the intent of supporting period VR headsets).

Shit, I use the the generic he for when I don't the guy's sex. I really just mixed up a singular someone with a collective they, thinking of a group.

I'll uncheck my privilege next time for sure though.

It has a fully-simulated physics engine for the body. I don't find it to be complex at all. Do you like Sonic's movement? Some people have femmine brains and can't wrap their heads around non-linear physics and only play megaman which has 1:1 linear input.

See pic, you can already boast the resolution very high. This isn't even the max you can go.

Attached: Screenshot from 2018-04-07 22-39-31.png (1648x900, 765.03K)

It's not likely to be an issue to have to provide your own game files considering how easy it is to download the game.

There are mods now that make it play like a standard FPS, you know.

It ran like crap on my Mac.

These are based on extremely brittle, hoary hacks like realtime memory injection.

Also, of course, native execs are always lovely to have.

We'll probably end up cobbling together an "optimal version" based on the assets from several different ports, as was the case for Descent 1/2 and Star Control 2.

By the way, if anyone missed it, you must go try this SP addon for Quake:
quaddicted.com/reviews/ad_v1_70final.html
playable under latest QuakeSpasm source port which is easy to find.

also: many of the "test" maps in this addon are actually really good and of better quality than many of "real" maps made by others

Both are equally retarded.

"He" is still correct in this case.

bump