ZeroNet

I see a good deal of talk about IPFS pop up on the board from time to time, but I haven't been around to catch a good ZeroNet thread yet.

/v/ has some anons quietly experimenting with an Zig Forums bunker using an improved fork of Millchan/Nullchan, and it seems to be meeting with good success. Understanding that some future systems that are in the pipe will theoretically be superior, what are the particular drawbacks or vulnerabilities to using a ZeroNet site, accessed through TOR, as a failsafe for Zig Forums right now?

"Never let the perfect be the enemy of the good enough" and all that.

Attached: Zeronet.gif (479x202, 4.94K)

The drawback is having to download so much of the blockchain onto your hardrive. Vulnerabilities would be in the python nature of the application as long as you are browsing with adblocker+block images+no javascript+block fonts for your webbrowser and not using a botnet like chrome. Otherwise compare to the cluckfare MITM'd its like gold, especially if the site is served over IPFS in the upcoming zeronet releases.

As far as I can tell, js is fundamental to ZeroNet, and you can't browse "zites" without it. js creates a huge attack surface, which doesn't totally render Tor (not TOR) useless, but certainly puts a dent in it.

By design, you're storing and updating local copies of zites on your computer. Let's say you visit a chan bunker zite. You don't frequent it--almost nobody does--but it gets automatically updated in the background. One week, somebody uploads a bunch of CP to the zite. It gets automatically downloaded to your computer. How long until you notice it and purge your hard drive?

Yes, I know, muh decentralization maymay, but if people are willing to go to the trouble of downloading and configuring Tor to work with ZeroNet, why not just take ZeroNet out of the equation and have somebody host a Tor hidden service? v3 hidden services are coming soon.

If you really want decentralization, there's Freenet.

Wasn't there some shit where you could just send modified json to anyone without any verification?

up uP UP!

Attached: trashcan382.jpg (1444x964, 62.47K)

its still The Onion Router no matter how hard those faggots attempt to rewirte history

My understanding of the Nullchan/Millchan implementation is that your local system only stores the site framework plus your own files, and then whatever user content you directly access. Or put more simply, unless you actually click on some CP, it doesn't go onto your drive.

thumbs still get saved

Is it illegal to have thumbnails in your web cache? Wouldn't it be pretty damn difficult to prove intent, if the content wasn't manually downloaded?

Yes, web cache is considered a forensic artifact when conducting investigations in the UK.

That's the thing though, nothing in p2p web is manually downloaded.
It's done in the background and you become a seeder to other users.
Simply going to the site in this case would be enough to get v&'d.

You have to have intent to be viewing CP. If there is no intent it's fine or is it?

They are optional files.
That means they are only downloaded if there is a GET request to fetch them.
The lazy loading that Millchan uses restricts the generation of those requests meaning that images are only downloaded if they are visible on screen.

Attached: zeronet.png (1383x163, 33.33K)

ebin, are you sure you don't have some reddit thread you should be posting on?

Guys I don't want to FUD or be the bearer of bad news, but anything resembling a chan will die in a couple of years, doesn't matter if it's clearnet, darknet, zeronet, or whatevernet.

Please elaborate. By what way? Legislation?

FOSTA, it just got signed into law.

FOSTA is a law against "human trafficking, think of the children" which allows the government to seize servers "before" getting proof of the crime.
As of yet it has been used to seize backpage's (prostitution site) servers on charges of human traffic and take the site down for, surprisingly, prostitution.

It's a catch-22 tier law that allows you to seize any server without proof and then you can just pin whatever to take it down and arrest the admins.
90% chance it'll be used to take bad goys down.

Attached: bba7b265c1701ea7b3635206455e4b0d884ad834567d0673ca5ce880cd57a766.jpg (600x450, 41.38K)

OK but everyone who has bitcoin blockchain in posession has CP and everyone who is mining is sharing CP. How is bitcoin not banned yet?

The US government can't even balance their checkbook. You give them way too much credit. At the very worst, you have pay for a VPN to visit websites not in the US. It aint gonna be shit.

Because they can pick and choose to ban whatever they want. In their ideal world, everyone would be guilty of a crime and the government could choose to punish or not based on whether it would benefit them.

I'm so tired of this argument. Yes, governments are generally inefficient. No, that doesn't mean they aren't capable of massive social changes. Why? The US government is effectively able to control the flow of trillions of dollars. With that kind of money at play, you can make damn near anything happen.

And how exactly do you propose the US government shut down an imageboard hosted in Malaysia and exclusively accessible on the darknet? Or one that's I2P and only used by people behind 7 proxies?
Don't be retarded. The US isn't the world, and there's so many ways to hide what sites you're visiting and hosting, they can't shut it all down. Even fucking China hasn't managed it.

>>>/g/

Yeah the USA has never been able to shutdown illegal darknet sites before.

If this is a bunker/failsafe
why not make it text only and have a word filter for onion links? do we need reaction images that badly?

bump