Coil Guns

Will there be a point where it will be more practical to use a coil gun compared to normal gun power weapons?

Attached: Coilgun_animation.gif (600x300, 56.09K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brilliant_Pebbles
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mass_driver
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinetic_bombardment
youtube.com/watch?v=xYoLcJuBtOw
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

When batteries no longer suck dick. And this is assuming you can put enough current through a bunch of coils to get similar performance to a conventional firearm without needing massive fucking coils and a heavier weapon as a result.

If you think coil guns were EVER supposed to compete with traditional artillery then you are COMPLETELY missing the point of coil guns.

Coil guns have application in anti-aircraft and anti-naval warfare. They require considerable current to fire a single round and also require cooldown. They were never going to be used in applications that require a high rate of fire. They are good at shooting very heavy projectiles very fast for penetrating heavy defenses.

Attached: Railgun_usnavy_2008.jpg (2091x1509, 1.62M)

Choo choo muffuga

If space combat made any sense. Then again maybe a crossbow would be better.

Attached: APS_underwater_rifle_REMOV.jpg (1200x478, 149.98K)

like that 80s anime legend of galactic heroes

Why is a railgun exploding like that?

That sounded retarded, but what is causing the fire? Is the projectile moving so fast that the oxygen around it starts combusting?

If I remember right just shooting a rail gun doesn't look flashy enough for the higher ups so researchers add explosives during test/demostrative firings to create a fireball to impress the top brass and funding people.

I pretty much see space battles going how they described it

One part that really triggered me is that the iserlohn corridor was surrounded by these kind of random energy space walls where random sections of space are full of energy for no reason to make the path.

That sound like star wars rogue leader on gamecube.

It's not really so much combusting as it is compressing to a very high temperature. It's like a vehicle re-entering the atmosphere.

Wow even less energy density

is it related to the tannhaeuser gate?

I know you computer babies know fuck all about electrical engineering, so I'll spell it out for you. The propulsion of the projectile depend on the strength of the magnetic field, which depends on the amount of current flowing through the coil, which finally depend on the resistance of the circuit.
We use super capacity not to hold bulk energy like batteries but to provide a power source with very low internal resistance, meaning faster charging and discharging, finally meaning more current and higher projectile energy

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brilliant_Pebbles

fucking MASS DRIVERS, son.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mass_driver

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinetic_bombardment

Attached: rodsfromgod.jpg (620x424, 50.5K)

Attached: serveimage(2).jpg (590x387, 30.73K)

Research the Plasma Focus.

not an argument

Aero here, based on the speed these projectiles get up to, the idea of the air immediately around the projectile "combusting" is not so far fetched. At velocities above mach 5, vehicles begin to react chemically with the air they are traveling through.

From what I've read, the rail gun might ignite stuff suspended in the atmosphere (e.g. suspended dust), as well as parts of the atmosphere (probably carbon monoxide). But nothing about the oxygen itself combusting.

But what you're saying is that it really is like said and the projectile is really "burning" like a meteor does?

Okay smartass, what oxidizes oxygen in that circumstance?

Air friction heats it so much it starts to emit light.

This. look at the luminescence behind the projectile. That isn't some kind of propellant exploding out of a tube, it's a cone traveling behind the projectile and emminating from it. You can also see a shock wave in front curving around the nose.

that's not how it werks son

so they were never really meant to compete with traditional gunpowder based weapons
more like heavy artillery propulsion, and may I say spesss missiles
I can also see an applicability in non military launch systems

Coilguns?
No, not a chance.

Railguns, which operate by Lorentz Force, have a niche in being able to attain velocities higher than the roughly 6000 ft/s that chemical propulsion can attain.
The downside being the low density of energy storage, and thus low portability.

tl;dr: Good old fashioned bangsticks are never going away.

Attached: 1442457387753.png (450x450, 340.76K)

Kinetic bombardment is only energetically viable from hyperbolic trajectories, and certainly not from low circular orbit.

Oh my.

Is it viable from Lagrangian points?

Perhaps, but you're better off looking into Nuclear Shaped Charge designs derived from the Project Orion propulsion units

And that powers comes out of thin air, right?

I happened to have a professor in school who was into supercapacitors. they had great capacitance, but horrible limitations. Over relatively low voltages (0.2 v) they'd break through.
So theoretically, you're correct, they are the correct technological solution, they're just not there yet.

Short-sighted. People throughout history have said exactly what you have about every single new technology. They have all been wrong.

There will always be a place for low-accuracy, cheap "bang sticks". Sure.

Needler gun just around the corner though. 5-10 years. The size of a fat sharpie. Disposable. Great for maiming humans but we won't be fighting humans. We will be fighting the robots built in automated factories by the millions as depopulation and homeless cleanup tools.

you dont need very high voltage for a coil gun.

Confirmation bias. Try tallying every single past idea which actually didn't work out.

When someone designs a coil based gun that is more practical in every way.

The orion project was off this world, what a shame that it would make the world a radioactive wasteland.

Not even close to true.
youtube.com/watch?v=xYoLcJuBtOw

"Flat Earth" not edgy and fucking retarded enough for you? Try "Nukes Aren't Real"!

Some cops still ride horses because it's more economic. Ditto for bikes. Not all planes use jets. People started predicting the downfall of desktops a decade ago and their numbers, while smaller today, have appeared to level out. Vapes have been shown to be safer than cigarettes, but tobacco company shilling has ensured that they'll never take a large chunk of the total market. There's a ton of examples of products that are "better" but never recieve 100% adoption.

But they are not real user.

But you'll need lots of charge, so it's either capacitance which we hadn't reached yet, or smaller capacitors with better energy density (i.e. higher voltage).
That, at least, was the state of the art about 4 years ago.

You just wait until the generation born after 2010 reaches adulthood. They are growing up with touch screen mogile devices and are used to do everything on them. Desktops are ancient clunk to them and once presented with an opportunity to do away with them, they eargerly will.

No, he's right, desktops are just leveling out. They're stagnating. But you're a retard to think they're dying. Desktops are not comparable to smartphones and tablets. They're different tools for different price brackets and different people. They are not competing with eachother. There's just too many applications that a desktop fulfills that media consumption devices cannot. No matter what shit normies flock too next. Besides, we're starting to see shit where recent PC games are selling 30+ million copies so I don't even think normalfags are done with PCs yet. Smartphones and Tablets are big because they're poverty machines and everyone in China and India has one

That's literally the same argument people had for newspapers, cable television, PDAs, landline phones, legacy media, and now laptops (just see how everything is a all-in-1 soylet touchscreen device except for professional machines).
Desktops will slowly recede into solely being professional machines before they completely die out once batteries get anything-better-than-slightly more efficient.

That's plasma. Electric current is arcing like mad between the rails and the projectile, vaporizing some of it off the surface and turning it to plasma, also ionizes the air which also becomes plasma, both of which then further support the arcing and drain its energy to heat itself up. Because it conducts electricity, it is propelled forward along with the projectile.

Both are linear electric motors. Railgun has extremely low inductance thereby extremely high top speed but also extremely low stall thrust. Coilgun can be designed to have any inductance along the accelerator stages, all the way down to near-zero, the same as on railgun. Because there is no arcing involved, it is safer and more efficient. Tailoring inductance to the acceleration profile further improves efficiency.

So they'd sacrifice convenience for the sake of habit? Or are they so adapted to touchscreens by now that they are morphologically more compatible with it than they can ever be with keyboard, mouse and much larger monitor on eye level at healthy distance from eyes? That they are simply incapable of appreciating high resolution, low dot size, good contrast and brightness, more appropriate color temperature, or much higher input speed, much higher precision and tactile feedback with keyboard, or much higher input speed, much higher precision and larger pool of more easily accessed options (buttons, wheel) with mouse? Despite what embittered older people have been committing to various mediums since 3000 B.C., I don't think the younger generations are retarded.

Portable computers are convenient and can provide a wide enough variety of functionality to become this widespread, but they are by design not suitable to completely take over desktops. One of my nephews grew up with smartphones and tablets, the other is still in process. Both have desktops they use as soon as it is convenient, which is a lot. Small sample group, sure, but at least I have one.
Sorry for offtopic tl;dr.

If you think guns were EVER supposed to compete with traditional swords then you are COMPLETELY missing the point of guns.

Guns have application in anti-horse and anti-infantry warfare. They require considerable powder to fire a single round and also require cooldown. They were never going to be used in applications that require a high rate of fire. They are good at shooting very heavy projectiles very fast for penetrating heavy defenses.

Attached: musket.jpg (1920x1080, 185.29K)

t. 69 IQ

Probably because of Ysanne Isard, one of the Imperial Remnant warlords. She featured prominently in Rogue Squadron 1 and 2, IIRC