New Forms of Computing

Let's talk about computers.

We're starting to hit hard physical limits with our plain old transistor-based electronic computing, electron tunneling is already beginning to interfere with our attempts to make transistors smaller than 8nm or so function properly. The current culture seems to be pushing quantum computers using photon polarity or electron spin as the way forwards, but that's not the only new way of computing open to us right now. Currently I know of three other methods for new computing: Skyrmion computing, optical (photonic) computing, and memristor based computing.

Skyrmion Computing
>Leverages solid state physics and quasi-particles technically a form of quantum computing.
>Proper name is "Cavity Spintronics," part of the second quantum revolution quantum devices.
>The magnetic swirls skyrmions have patterns much smaller than most magnetic domains, raising data density limits.
>Room temp skyrmions exist and can possibly be used phys.org/news/2018-02-magnetic-skyrmion-room-temperature.html
Like in using optical components to speed coordination of electronic ones e.g. coordinating processing cores.
Can more easily model neurons due to similar properties in function.

Attached: memristors-01.jpg (619x316 22.25 KB, 112.04K)

Other urls found in this thread:

sciencedaily.com/releases/2018/04/180412154446.htm
youtube.com/watch?v=IiLplTc8rQY
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synaptic_transistor
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nanoscale_vacuum-channel_transistor
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5454531/
ceskatelevize.cz/ct24/veda/2452516-tisickrat-rychlejsi-objev-ceskych-fyziku-promeni-ukladani-dat
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Jamie bring up that video of the elk solving a rubiks hypercube

I like the idea of optical computing and plugging in crystals for the aesthetics.

this

Attached: Crystals.jpg (712x374, 80.87K)

If it involves quantum anything then it's vaporware. You literally have to believe in meme magic to buy that crap.

I can't even begin to imagine how much of a cluster fuck this makes circuit analysis. It's already bad enough with higher order differentials all over the place without having to take into account previous fucking circuit states.

Very exciting, but you left off one other thing I think is deserving of greater exploitation today: Analog computing. Obviously not for general purpose applications, but as coprocessors for specific applications, the speedup could be phenomenal.

It's true that "quantum speedup" hasn't been unambiguously measured yet for annealing systems like D-Wave's, but at this very moment we're on the cusp of gate-based quantum computers very probably breaking the barrier to supremacy over classical systems:
sciencedaily.com/releases/2018/04/180412154446.htm

I for one hope we don't pass the silicone barrier, then software will have to stop sucking dick instead of being a bloated shitpile that can keep functioning thanks to expanding hardware capability.

Attached: FREEDOM.jpg (1750x1313, 1.02M)

These people don't even understand how Quantum computers work, and not even the ones developing it understand the principles.
You're falling for another huge marketing scheming, the Computational Tesla, the Mecha-Jew.

youtube.com/watch?v=IiLplTc8rQY

While you might not consider it a new form of computing, 3D integrated circuits expanding on the current form of computing allows for more condensed circuity which reduces power, heat and increases performance (these three things are obviously all related to each other).

Something like en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synaptic_transistor sounds pretty cool. Trying to emulate the human brain seems like a good direction, since nature already did the work.

We've been on the "cusp" of all the vaporware modern, untestable, theoretical physics have been promising us for almost 50 years now.

Attached: any_day_now.jpg (298x403, 30.09K)

There's also vacuum transistors
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nanoscale_vacuum-channel_transistor

You mean you don't want to buy a cutting edge quantum computer only to have it bogged down by programs written in an ultra high level programming language under a million different layers abstraction that can be used by soccer moms and tumblr tards?

freak

Have to admit I'm really new to all of this, so I read a bit of the cavity spintronics articles. I'll work my way through more. I think it is interesting that computers might be going back in the direction of magnets. I also always heard that binary was not the way quantum computers would express things, but this field (no pun intended) seems to suggest otherwise.

Of course this is all neat stuff. I just hope it winds up viable/inexpensive/not bogged down by red tape.

Attached: cores.jpg (400x275, 121.19K)

Many facets of QM.
"Quantum Computing" in the popsci vernacular refers to using the superposition of states to allow qubits to represent a combination of 0/1. In the 90s a mathematician named Peter Shor created an algorithm for factoring integers that utilizes these entities. It is much more efficient than the Euclidean algorithm. If implemented in hardware then most of our public key crypto (which relies on the difficulty of factoring the product of two large prime numbers) has been broken.

The spin current idea in the OP doesn't reference superposition--it suggests thermal efficiency can be gained by replacing electronic current (the movement of charged particles) with "spin current" (presumably the flip/flopping of the spins of a network of interconnected magnetic domains). Spin is a quantum property hence "quantum computing" of a different flavor. I haven't studied any of this for years but there's no theoretical reason that these two types of quantum phenomena can't be combined. Spin states can be superposed just as well as any others.

Well, that would be a hellova thing.

Saw this in local news, now found source in English ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5454531/ ceskatelevize.cz/ct24/veda/2452516-tisickrat-rychlejsi-objev-ceskych-fyziku-promeni-ukladani-dat
>Antiferromagnets offer a unique combination of properties including the radiation and magnetic field hardness, the absence of stray magnetic fields, and the spin-dynamics frequency scale in terahertz. Recent experiments have demonstrated that relativistic spin-orbit torques can provide the means for an efficient electric control of antiferromagnetic moments. Here we show that elementary-shape memory cells fabricated from a single-layer antiferromagnet CuMnAs deposited on a III–V or Si substrate have deterministic multi-level switching characteristics. They allow for counting and recording thousands of input pulses and responding to pulses of lengths downscaled to hundreds of picoseconds. To demonstrate the compatibility with common microelectronic circuitry, we implemented the antiferromagnetic bit cell in a standard printed circuit board managed and powered at ambient conditions by a computer via a USB interface. Our results open a path towards specialized embedded memory-logic applications and ultra-fast components based on antiferromagnets.
This seems pretty big.

I want to learn about this shit more and more. I was up all night reading about it the other night when this thread was posted.

' clearly not the pcb implementation bit though. That is amazing