Seems only like yesterday.

Attached: xpsp3.png (411x468, 110.98K)

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.is/ZDbSV
majorgeeks.com/files/details/windows_xp_service_pack_4_unofficial.html
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/GNU/Linux_ricing
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Okay

I still run it. Nothing around today is as minimal and functional as windows XP. I can run most software I need, and don't have to deal with the massive bloat from the modern Linux and Windows kernels.

You don't know what you're talking about. The Windows XP kernel is by definition more bloated than the Windows 10 kernel.

i'm sure 12 years of extra shit being pumped in made windows 10 smaller

Not at all. Windows 10 kernel is much smaller than Windows XP kernel.

Citation needed

Not him, but my ntoskrnl on my Win 10 PC is 8.20 MBs in size, which absolutely larger than Windows XPs on a given 64-bit system with comparable hardware feature set. However, I think its less the kernel has gotten "larger" and more like it's gotten more monolithic in nature. Windows XPs kernel was more microkernel-like. The modern NT kernel executable in Windows 10 is more comparable to your average vmlinuz file on Linux now

Attached: 1411465797956.jpg (164x251, 13.55K)

I've recently installed XP in VM just to bring back good memories. I wish there was a XP Classic Theme skin for some linux distro.

I figured out how to get it back shortly after it happened, but I was still pissed.

pretty sure there is

My boot.EFI (Linux O.S. E. F. I. STUB) is only 4.2MB only. Beet that MACROSHIT WANGBLOWD 10 CRAPERATING CISTERN phagots

Bravo Grub

Attached: 1372372041608.png (342x245, 83.05K)

GRB whatsa GRUBs"? Disuginting bloaetd operating sstem which indian PAJET progarminged. GNU GNU PAJETT !! No funcionalty excep LS,LINUX,BOOT,SET useless totally at all. Mo good. Total BOT NET

Attached: beardy_approval.gif (235x240, 1.93M)

i use the xp background, the shut down and start up sound on my linux system.>>898254

Windows 2000 > Windows XP

Attached: meh.png (1024x768, 181.49K)

Russians? In my basket weaving forum?

Attached: 1461553146404.png (484x373, 257.46K)

Close, but a miss. Not that anyone outside this region gives a fuck about distinctions like that, of course.
The point stands, though. 9x is better than 2k at what it does simply because it is more lightweight. Not too dissimilar to a *nix, really. As soon as you learn how to avoid breaking everything accidentally it's a fairly enjoyable ride.

98se is good for a Pentium II or III (or maybe early 4) retro machine but not much beyond that. Once you go past 2005 hardware-wise you have severe driver problems anyway (last 9x-compatible Catalyst driver is 6.2, there are no 9x-compatible HD Audio drivers I'd be aware of, multiple CPU cores make problems, there are issues with more than 512 MB of RAM that need to be danced around, etc. etc.).

Nice VM, pyc user

I wish the exact XP/2k3 classic explorer would be backported into NT6.x. It was way better than the bloated version that came with Vista and 7.
It could be made to be extremely compact - the line spacing in detailed view was very small so that no space was wasted, you could edit the toolbar to get rid of all buttons you consider unnecessary (you could even push the button toolbar into one line with the menu bar to save even more space), the status bar was minimal providing useful information rather than just wasting space like in Vista/7. XP's default search was goofy but with one registry edit you could restore the no-bullshit one from 2k. Admittedly there were some minor improvements in Vista too (like adding detaliled information about ongoing file copy operations like current speed etc.), but those were rather few and far between. Sady 8.x/10 did away with the "classic" interface completely in any way, shape or form, offering just even more retarded bullshit than Vista/7 instead.
While Windows versions prior to NT5.x were comparatively immature, those that followed went downhill again - in a different sense, but downhill nevertheless. Thus, NT5.x seems to have been the high point in the Windows OS history.

Attached: untitled545345.PNG (927x487, 30.96K)

Pentium III ThinkPad with Windows 2000 'till the day I die!

Can you still get affordable replacement parts (most significantly those that tend to wear out with time due to mechanical strain, such as fans and 2.5'' PATA HDDs) for old IBM Thinkpads? What about the keyboard, does it wear out too (with keys becoming shiny and uncomfortable to type on)? How about other points of failure, such as the LCD panel/backlight, or capacitors?

When XP came out it was criticized for its "Fisher-Price" colored UI. Personally I think the default blue theme is genius, although it would have been nice if one were able to tweak its colors. KDE3 took a hint and had similar UI in the form of the Plastik theme.

That was the golden era of the desktop (2000-2007) when the optimum balance between looks and function in both Windows and Linux was achieved. Since then, Win UI design went to shit, first with translucent and overly shiny faggotry followed by a completely flat look that is flatter than Win 95's.

It's a shame Windows XP 64-bit never took off. Could have been a reliable work horse to this day with proper drivers, with autists not worrying about wasting 64-bit powa by running a 32-bit OS. Also XP should have gotten a final SP4 when it was discontinued. Screw Microsoft for not doing that. Their list of sins is long, but at least Bill Gates isn't to blame for the recent fuckages *cough* 8, 8.1, 10.

Attached: fisher-price.jpg (1500x1125, 163.3K)

Open fan assembly, take fan apart and clean, few drops of oil on bearing, and it's good for another 10 years

mSATA > IDE converter + archive.is/ZDbSV

Unavoidable, but they won't become uncomfortable though.

Xiphmont LED upgrade

Not a issue, things like flexing on the T4x's, the Blink of Death on the T2x's and ERROR 0175 CORRUPT EEPROM is far more common.

Somehow desktop IBM keyboards (or even their later Lenovo-branded batches) like the SK-8825 take years upon years of heavy use to even start showing signs of that kind of wear (the standard Dell keyboards are much worse in that respect and become shiny relatively quickly by comparison). So why wouldn't they make laptop keyboars of similar robustness? "Planned obsolescence" reasons so people keep buying replacement keyboards if they wish to keep using a given laptop comfortably for many years?
Dunno about those old models, but a worn T60 keyboard is definitely not all that comfortable to a touch typist who keeps his fingers on the keys most of the time and relies on tactile contact heavily.
No wonder given that the T40 line was already designed and manufactured in cooperation with Lenovo (it was the transition period, by the T60 it was all Lenovo, IBM only receiving "honorable mentions" here and there). The T60 palmrest and keyboard was also notorious for being prone to flexing problems.
How do you cope with these? Looking for a good replacement mainboard (hopefully withouth having to pay an arm and leg for it)?

Which can be immediately turned off, leaving you with arguably the most usable and functional Windows GUI of all times (and possibly among all OSes). The great thing with XP is that almost all the nuissances can be easily tweaked away in 5 to 10 minutes using standard options in the system/display/taskbar properties, and the remaining ones can be adjusted directly via registry or via tweaking utilities (either TweakUI that's from Microsoft themselves, or third party ones like XPAntispy etc.). You don't get that degree of freedom anymore in Vista and beyond, many if not most of the shitty changes are basically hardcoded and difficult to impossible to change to how they used to be (Classic Shell does wonders, but there's still things it cannot do, and sadly it's been discontinued so it won't help anymore with whatever crap MS has in store for 10 users in the future).

VMware has pretty good drivers for it. The only real pain is VGA but it's solvable. You can pretty much use it as a shell. I've been considering going all the way back to DOS, but real mode has a certain drawback.

I'll be fucked once they stop making drivers for Windows 7. UNIX-based OSes are so irritating to use.

"Shell" in what sense of the word?
DOS/9x as daily driver in current year?

Didn't they already? Hardware manufacturers stopping making drivers for a given Windows version usually happens about two years before its EOL.

Faux userland. Since it'd be running in a VM.

Depends on what one needs, really. No social media, including Steam, no Flash, no fad-of-the-year Web WTFBBQ.0 shit, old games. New video and audio codecs are the only things that I'd miss if I moved to one completely, but then I could just write plugins for existing players or just brand new ones. Or watch shit on host OS. Or in a second VM with a newer OS. Laziness is my only excuse so far.

nvidia still makes drivers for XP.

No. GTX7xx is the last series that Nvidia supported XP on.

Attached: uYTPHIj.png (1904x951, 243.76K)

Oh well, GTX 7xx are pretty decent. I'm thinking of switching to AMD since they supposedly have lower latency drivers for Windows. They always had better compute power but less optimization due to lack a of personnel to make optimization for specific software happen. Apparently you can set the flip queue to zero frames whereas with nvidia you can only set it to a minimum of one frame.

10th anniversary of a useless shitty service pack that did nothing but remove features. Service pack 2 was the last service pack with a purpose.

So use Linux.

Please do go on and elaborate, thanks. What features did it remove?

Supposedly low-end cards in the 900 series have XP drivers. I haven't bothered to check though.

How fucked are Microsoft users at this point?

my real problem with nvidia drivers is that they removed TV-OUT Support in XP and 7
fucking crt tv never works under windows with lastest supported drivers. the main reason I still have some older cards.

fuck htpc and video drm.

XP was shit, Windows 95 is the best

Fucking nigger cattle.

majorgeeks.com/files/details/windows_xp_service_pack_4_unofficial.html

Doesn't count. You can make an "unofficial NT 4.0 SP7" and nobody will care because it wouldn't mean anything.

How is that any different than the Freetard ecosystem where practically nothing is "official"?

In that the MS ecosystem is not a freetard ecosystem?

Found here: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/GNU/Linux_ricing

Attached: Ricing_at_its_finest.jpg (1440x900, 222.84K)

Windows XP is the superior OS
We need to use it until we get ReactOS in 2032

if someone want that for XP then install TeraCopy

Freetards don't have an ecosystem.

Availability of sources.

That's a bit too optimistic.

didn't XP have a source code leak?

If only there was some way to rebuild the kernel to better suit one's needs...

You cant get rid of all the bloat by removing drivers lol

95 was just a "prototype" version improved upon and surpassed by 98. It was always like that with Windows.
>8.x -> 10 yea no, 10 sucks too, but at least MS believe it's better""" than 8.x

Windows 10 would unironically be the best Windows OS if it hadn't been for Microsofts PR blunders with regards to privacy, and once you remove the retarded bloat tiles from the start menu

Once you get past these its really good though

Attached: Speccy.PNG (847x646, 144.54K)

Attached: windows-10-fixed.jpg (453x480 24.85 KB, 27.74K)

The updates are scheduled, and I'd hardly call BSOD shit a fair complaint. Might as well knock GNU/Linux because its possible you might get a kernel panic (or annoying ass "System Problem Detected" messages that don't go away until you clear /var/crash)

IIRC there are ways of forcing the updates off through the registry. But they do give you a fair bit of warning before they start the shit

kys tbh fam

What annoys me the most are those screen locking messages.
Right in the middle when you are doing stuff. It really gives you the feeling you have no control whatsoever over your desktop.

What the fuck does that even mean? By definition of what? You mean that bloat is defined as whatever the relation of XP kernel to 10 kernel is?

#define XP_BLOAT 1#define 10_BLOAT 0
maybe

That lobotomized excuse for a BSOD that 8 introduced and 10 kept is a prime exemplification and quintessence of how those OSes consider their userbase to be clinical retards.

Not good enough. The fucker waits for you to go off to a meeting coffee break before arming its 10 minute time bomb and blowing away the morning's work rearranging the windows for an hour

Kernel drivers. There are fewer drivers inside the Windows 10 kernel than the Windows XP kernel.

Attached: 1524849819320.png (800x799, 41.79K)

windows millennium was a fraud to cash in on the 2yk bug fear.
windows 98 with restore points