/chip/ General

Hey, user! Have you taken the chip pill? If you are a real computer enthusiast, you care about working shit at the hardware level, right?

sparkfun.com/tutorials/93 - getting started with an ATMega328, the basis for the Arduino

referencedesigner.com/tutorials/verilog/verilog_01.php Verilog tutorial for FPGA

docs.google.com/file/d/0B5jcnBPSPWQyaTU1OW5NbVJQNW8/
Getting Started in Electronics

Whatcha buildin', user? Whatcha want to build?

Attached: 220px-Fpga_xilinx_spartan.jpg (600x600 52.26 KB, 52.8K)

Other urls found in this thread:

docs.google.com/file/d/0B5jcnBPSPWQyaTU1OW5NbVJQNW8/CSI/
apis.google.com/js/client.js
docs.google.com/comments/d/AAHRpnXv33rHNxrdqLHyrc0I9cCA4D5828kSdsncgDKMd1DreVSyVM6xf-Q3BECuqPo6gf4c8K_NoYIsgwmAC7ECoZsRSlC68wA/api/js?hl=de
ssl.gstatic.com/docs/common/cleardot.gif
docs.google.com/file/d/0B5jcnBPSPWQyaTU1OW5NbVJQNW8/texmex_2018.14-Thu_RC02
docs.google.com/
drive.google.com/
docs.google.com/file/
docs.google.com/file
docs.google.com/file/d/0B5jcnBPSPWQyaTU1OW5NbVJQNW8/edit
drive.google.com/#folders/{folderId}
drive.google.com/file/d/0B5jcnBPSPWQyaTU1OW5NbVJQNW8/view?usp=docs_web
docs.google.com/picker
docs.google.com/relay.html
drive.google.com/upload/resumableupload
maps.googleapis.com/maps/api/js?key=AIzaSyBCjpnguVjzi6vS67NdBtyYuvCYz3yBxCY&sensor=false
maps.google.com/maps
docs.google.com/abuse?id=0B5jcnBPSPWQyaTU1OW5NbVJQNW8
docs.google.com/file/d/0B5jcnBPSPWQyaTU1OW5NbVJQNW8/www.gstatic.com
docs.google.com/file/d/0B5jcnBPSPWQyaTU1OW5NbVJQNW8/og.qtm.en_US.qtH9R1kM9c8.O
docs.google.com/file/d/0B5jcnBPSPWQyaTU1OW5NbVJQNW8/.40.40.40.40.40.40.
docs.google.com/file/d/0B5jcnBPSPWQyaTU1OW5NbVJQNW8/og.qtm.cvd0bvu7gitd.L.F4.O
docs.google.com/file/d/0B5jcnBPSPWQyaTU1OW5NbVJQNW8/gci_91f30755d6a6b787dcc2a4062e6e9824.js
apis.google.com/
docs.google.com/file/d/0B5jcnBPSPWQyaTU1OW5NbVJQNW8/es_plusone_gc_20180405.0_p0
docs.google.com/file/d/0B5jcnBPSPWQyaTU1OW5NbVJQNW8/190405948.0
gstatic.com/og/_/js/k=og.qtm.en_US.qtH9R1kM9c8.O/rt=j/m=q_d,qmutsd/exm=qaaw,qabr,qadd,qaid,qalo,qano,qebr,qein,qhaw,qhbr,qhch,qhga,qhid,qhin,qhlo,qhmn,qhno,qhpc,qhpr,qhsf,qhtb,qhtt/d=1/ed=1/rs=AA2YrTtKpwyIgYD7GOb2jWeXbA1h11jUHg
gstatic.com/og/_/ss/k=og.qtm.cvd0bvu7gitd.L.F4.O/m=q_d/excm=qaaw,qabr,qadd,qaid,qalo,qano,qebr,qein,qhaw,qhbr,qhch,qhga,qhid,qhin,qhlo,qhmn,qhno,qhpc,qhpr,qhsf,qhtb,qhtt/d=1/ed=1/rs=AA2YrTvpsfUbv1hzTudik-zHhLgWTjqtvg
vishay.com/docs/80071/dataform.pdf.
github.com/MickMad/N64-To-USB
hooktube.com/watch?v=bwT8wnt2lP8
hooktube.com/watch?v=MH1tYHnqyq8
hooktube.com/watch?v=oDRnie5SP7s
youtube.com/watch?v=afurKLOqqSg
arduino.cc/reference/en/language/functions/analog-io/analogread/
my.mixtape.moe/wnkafr.pdf
reference.digilentinc.com/learn/courses/real-analog/start
reference.digilentinc.com/reference/instrumentation/analog-discovery-2/start?redirect=1
store.digilentinc.com/analog-parts-kit-by-analog-devices-companion-parts-kit-for-the-analog-discovery/
github.com/cliffordwolf/icestorm/blob/master/CodeOfConduct
reddit.com/r/FPGA/comments/32ex67/why_is_fpga_development_so_bad_a_rant/cqallok
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

meh, I took apart some GBA bootleg carts I had in my closet for years and sure enough they all use some variant of the same Intel Flash chips. There are leads on the PCB on all of them the correspond to a pin on the chip, probably for easy programming. But I don't have any flashing equipment. I noticed there was 8 leads at the top. That could be for SPI but I'm not sure. I want to add a microSD slot or something to these boards so I don't have to deal with chip flashers but SD does not use the same signaling as raw flash TSOP modules. I could get an xD card and make an xD card slot maybe

Attached: sd-card-pinout.png (909x855 58.5 KB, 53.07K)

Good initiative M8 but Zig Forums is dead and only political garbage and a few power users remains.

Give me a chip that will at least run Quake and I'll listen.

I love coding avr chips. its pretty great. I got an avr chips freshman year of college and i have still been using it to do all sorts of stuff. I dont get why people use Arduino. its not hard to code avr chips if you know bit arithmetic.

How about THIS?

Attached: Yunsup_Lee_holding_RISC_V_prototype_chip[1].jpg (4776x3187, 3.43M)

Working on a MIDI controller for Reaper. 4" faders, pan pots, mute and solo switches x8 plus transport control and a few shortcut keys to show the mixer, track FX etc. Commercial units are priced over 1k to start.
I grew up working on consoles and while working in the box is cheap and easy I miss the tactile feel of knobs and sliders.
If this works out I'd like to make a generic knob/button MIDI box to control VST parameters.

RISC V is rad, but I need a dev with VGA and something that doesn't cost 1000$.

>posting Google docs
Get lost.

using an Arduino makes it a lot easier to get started with prototyping, since it provides all you need to run the MCU + USB serial. knockoff ones are also dime a dozen.
you don't have to use the Arduino IDE/libraries to program for it, regular avr-gcc works great, since it's just an AVR dev board.

Do you think NAND2tetris would be a good starting point to get into something like this?

Anmelden
docs.google.com/file/d/0B5jcnBPSPWQyaTU1OW5NbVJQNW8/CSI/
apis.google.com/js/client.js
docs.google.com/comments/d/AAHRpnXv33rHNxrdqLHyrc0I9cCA4D5828kSdsncgDKMd1DreVSyVM6xf-Q3BECuqPo6gf4c8K_NoYIsgwmAC7ECoZsRSlC68wA/api/js?hl=de
ssl.gstatic.com/docs/common/cleardot.gif
docs.google.com/file/d/0B5jcnBPSPWQyaTU1OW5NbVJQNW8/texmex_2018.14-Thu_RC02
docs.google.com/
drive.google.com/
docs.google.com/file/
docs.google.com/file
docs.google.com/file/d/0B5jcnBPSPWQyaTU1OW5NbVJQNW8/edit
drive.google.com/#folders/{folderId}
drive.google.com/file/d/0B5jcnBPSPWQyaTU1OW5NbVJQNW8/view?usp=docs_web
docs.google.com/picker
docs.google.com/relay.html
drive.google.com/upload/resumableupload
maps.googleapis.com/maps/api/js?key=AIzaSyBCjpnguVjzi6vS67NdBtyYuvCYz3yBxCY&sensor=false
maps.google.com/maps
docs.google.com/abuse?id=0B5jcnBPSPWQyaTU1OW5NbVJQNW8
docs.google.com/file/d/0B5jcnBPSPWQyaTU1OW5NbVJQNW8/www.gstatic.com
docs.google.com/file/d/0B5jcnBPSPWQyaTU1OW5NbVJQNW8/og.qtm.en_US.qtH9R1kM9c8.O
docs.google.com/file/d/0B5jcnBPSPWQyaTU1OW5NbVJQNW8/.40.40.40.40.40.40.
docs.google.com/file/d/0B5jcnBPSPWQyaTU1OW5NbVJQNW8/og.qtm.cvd0bvu7gitd.L.F4.O
docs.google.com/file/d/0B5jcnBPSPWQyaTU1OW5NbVJQNW8/gci_91f30755d6a6b787dcc2a4062e6e9824.js
apis.google.com/
docs.google.com/file/d/0B5jcnBPSPWQyaTU1OW5NbVJQNW8/es_plusone_gc_20180405.0_p0
docs.google.com/file/d/0B5jcnBPSPWQyaTU1OW5NbVJQNW8/190405948.0
gstatic.com/og/_/js/k=og.qtm.en_US.qtH9R1kM9c8.O/rt=j/m=q_d,qmutsd/exm=qaaw,qabr,qadd,qaid,qalo,qano,qebr,qein,qhaw,qhbr,qhch,qhga,qhid,qhin,qhlo,qhmn,qhno,qhpc,qhpr,qhsf,qhtb,qhtt/d=1/ed=1/rs=AA2YrTtKpwyIgYD7GOb2jWeXbA1h11jUHg
gstatic.com/og/_/ss/k=og.qtm.cvd0bvu7gitd.L.F4.O/m=q_d/excm=qaaw,qabr,qadd,qaid,qalo,qano,qebr,qein,qhaw,qhbr,qhch,qhga,qhid,qhin,qhlo,qhmn,qhno,qhpc,qhpr,qhsf,qhtb,qhtt/d=1/ed=1/rs=AA2YrTvpsfUbv1hzTudik-zHhLgWTjqtvg

sage

Teensy 3.6 appears to expose the external memory bus address and data lines to pins. I want to connect it up to a Spartan 6. I have the VGA output working with 8-bit color output. Next step to attach a real DAC to drive the VGA signal. Then I'd like to write some video acceleration Verilog for the Spartan - sprites, scrolling bitplanes, "Copper-like" co-processor for controlling palette and bitplane pointers on the fly and timed to VGA scanline (similar to Amiga).

I saw some 2D acceleration verilog code on OpenCores so I'll probably start from there.

I've been trying to record the IR signals from my AC remote using an atmega8. The main problem I am facing is, that even the "on" part of the signal is actually 50% duty cycle at ~40KHz. I just can't correctly implementing software to record it

I ever wanted to make a RC car, nothing fancy, just using some simple DIP microcontroller, a RF module, some DVD motors and a 9V battery, but don't know what program i can use to design the schematic and the PCB, and don't know what can use to program the microcontroller. Suggestions? preferably recommend me open source programs and tools that can be used in linux.

You can use kicad to design the schematics and the PCB, its open source and the latest version even has a built in circuit simulator.
There are 433MHz RF modules you can use with any cheap microcontroller with UART. You don't necessarily have to use DVD motors, simple DC motors will work just as well. You can use Arduino if you're unfamiliar with microcontrollers.

You don't have to use microcontrollers for this purpose, there are analog ways to do this too

Do you even FFT

I only know FFT stands for Fast Fourier Transform, and its used in signal processing. If fi remember correct, its used to make sine waves from other kinds of signals, but thats about it. I don't know much about transforms.
Sorry i am not a professional, i work in IT, this is just a hobby of mine

Do you know what kind of protocol does your device use? Pic related is NEC IR protocol, which uses pulse distance encoding. Unless you want to make universal "record IR - play back recorded waveform" device, recording signal with your sound card and implementing detected protocol might be a better idea. If you still want to record raw, then pool your input pin at 3 - 4 times signal carrier frequency and hope you don't run out of storage before transmission is completed. To re-send the signal just play it back at the same frequency (set pin to the recorded value each sampling clock cycle).

What would even be the purpose of doing FFT on a digital signal?

Attached: NECMessageFrame.png (664x215, 11.03K)

This fucking website allows you to upload files, you stupid niggers.
Use this feature, rather than pretending from people to visit Google websites.

I was able to record a part of the signal in my AVR's memory, before it ran out. I made a nice little graph in excel to visualize everything.
What protocol does it look like?

Attached: Screenshot_2018-04-15_23-04-35.png (1366x260, 16.26K)

Try measuring time of high and low bits, space between header and first bit, then compare with various protocols vishay.com/docs/80071/dataform.pdf. Who is your AC manufacturer? Sony, LG, Samsung, Phillips all have their own protocols, which look somewhat similar. Commonly found at 40 kHz is the Sony protocol.

Attached: Screenshot-2018-4-15 LEC14 PIC IR pdf.png (1001x479 109.55 KB, 5.58K)

I thought of connecting a usb keyboard to a Commodore64 and I need some micro to concert the signals. C64s keyboard is 8x8 matrix. The computer sets one of the 8 output lines one by one, and then reads the 8 input lines. The keyboard just shorts these in and out lines. That means I need a chip that fits this spec more or less:

powered by 5v
8 in and 8 out lines 5v
usb support
Fast enough to read and set the lines in real time. This is important as the time you set the output lines determines which key is pressed.

Any ideas ?

Fastest way to get this working would be to get something like arduino pro micro and usb host module (tons of them on ebay). Even 16 MHz should be enough, but to be certain - how fast does c64 set output lines and how long does it wait before reading the values? I presume it first enables output (1 clock cycle) and then reads from keyboard port (1). So there must be at least 1 CPU cycle of delay before the value is read.

As I understand it he can't make sense of the analog signal coming into the IR receiver

hardware timer interrupt driven from an internal oscillator set to 80kHz.

The cpu in C64 is 1Mhz and the code that sets and reads the keyboard pins is rather slow too (the whole kernel fits in 8kb)

Nothing until the semester is over
Classic Z80 microcomputer and a single chip "computer" on a parallax propeller. Also maybe start dabbling in FPGAs, but I have no specific projects for that.

fix your fucking spacing and spelling next time

I always thought arduino was overrated, but I find the dual micro-controller approach very nice.
My Uno was lying around for years but I used it to make a USB N64 controller.
github.com/MickMad/N64-To-USB
I had to modify the code to make it work, the A button was erratic, had to add 5 nops before reading the response.
Mixed C and ASM is really shitty, especially when people depend on generated C code to have specific timing, which can change between compiler revisions.

There's also a NAND flasher (FTDI) for Arduino that you can use to flash coreboot (lel, I tried it without a Pomona clip because I bricked my x60 and was desperate).

Attached: 1324497404001.jpg (424x366, 24.59K)

What should I make of this? What are the changes the chink manufacturer being a chink and all implemented their own protocol because why not

Interesting, I have not played around much with the internal oscillator and stuff. Where can I gain more info on this? Is the internal oscillator even configurable?

I wouldn't be too worried about repeat, they were probably too lazy to add that feature as it works without it just fine. Try decoding your signal with pdf related. There are three different versions of the protocol 12, 15, and 20 bits. Try counting bits and see if anything matches. Device portion shouldn't change if you issue different commands.

Are you stuck using C/asm via their IDE or something? How hard would it be to use Forth instead?

Can we make an ereader with microcontrollers? Like a very simple one. It would just read plain text file and after displaying the page it would turn off.

Getting Started In Electronics is a God tier book for beginners in DC electronics. I first read it when I was in first or grade. I still have the first copy I read, and I still reference it every once in a while. It's a big part of why I became such a nerd.

hooktube.com/watch?v=bwT8wnt2lP8
FPGA thechnically running quake under a custom renderer.
hooktube.com/watch?v=MH1tYHnqyq8
Amiga running quake with an FPGA graphics card.

Vid related.
hooktube.com/watch?v=oDRnie5SP7s

It seems to be a standard. It is a good starting point for certain.

what USB to serial cable do I need to program the ATMEGA?

AVR programmer. They're fairly cheap.

I saw a guy who bit banged VGA on the 16U2 and it also made me buy a chinese clone of the Arduino Uno R3.

USBasp's are pretty nice and cheap programmers for the AVR.
if you want to program over serial then you have to flash a bootloader (ex. the Arduino one) onto the atmega and then use some USART module to send your code.

I want to build a mobile Brainfuck interpreter in a small gameboy-like case.
Little screen, 14 small buttons (4 directions, 8 commands, 1 enter, 1 save/run).
Me thinks a small Pi Zero (or C.H.I.P, when they actually ship in a month or two), any recommendations on building/buying a semi-decent/solid project cases?

Attached: BRAINFUUUUCKED.png (602x330, 110.84K)

Thanks for posting the pdf. I've always been a brainlet when it comes to electronics and circuitry and I've always wanted to do cool diy shit with the stuff.

You will have more "street cred" if you do it yourself tbh.
Literally less than 10$ project and couple of hours of fucking around.
Go on ebay and look out for "microcontroller", "dip sockets", "eeprom", "prototyping board", "USB to TTL" (to program the microcontroller and add memory to eeprom", "lcd module", "lithium ion protection circuit", "18650 battery", "18650 battery holder", couple of switches, connectors, buttons...

You were absolutely right my friend, I have finally recorded the signal
Now I just have to program an ESP8266 to reapeat the signal, or maybe analyse it for kicks

Attached: first.png (6814x1202, 75.48K)

bump

bump

Finally put my first arduino compatible atmega kit together. What should I do with it?

Interesting bread OP. I do want to learn more about hardware.

No need to be a fag.

Thoughts on MSP430?

What are you using it for user?

Are there any libraries/tools/whatever that let me just use an Arduino board as an I/O module on Linux? I want to have a crack at modifying EEPROM chips on toner cartridges.

Get an arm sbc with i2c capabilities and use i2c-tools

Already have an Arduino MEGA 2560.

The tutorial youtube.com/watch?v=afurKLOqqSg

I can use the analogRead() to fill a variable with a value and Serial.printld it out, but I want to be able to increase the integer by ∗4.887585533

int pinV; // This empty variable will be filled with an integer value between 0 and 1023.
int receiverPin=0; // This is the RX pin, the receiver part of the USB to Serial interface.
int ResultsPerSec=500; // The Arduino to read and print out a result every half second.
float printingValue; //

void setup() {
Serial.begin(9600);
pinMode(receiverPin,INPUT);
}

void loop() {
pinV=analogRead(receiverPin); // Each Volt has a value of 204.6 (4.88 mV per integer)
printingValue = (pinV*4.887585533);
// 5,000 mV divided by 1023 possible values = is 4.887585533 mV per integer
// The Arduino can count from 0 to 5 Volts in 4.887585533 mV increments.
// 1,000 divided by 4.887585533 mV = 204.599999989 integers out of the 1023 available equal 1V

// Each integer of the 1023 possible values that analogRead() outputs is increased by 4.887585533
Serial.println(printingValue);
delay(ResultsPerSec);
}

You can use analogRead only on specific pins, marked on your board with A[0:n] (A0, A1, A2...). I assume you are trying to read the analog value from pin D0 which doesn't have ADC hardware connected to it. Unknowingly, you're actually reading from pin A0, not the RX pin as stated in your comment. If that pin is floating (noting is connected to it) you'll read random values and that's what I assume is your problem.
arduino.cc/reference/en/language/functions/analog-io/analogread/

GOLLY, it works! Thanks for that!

That was a strangely polite response...
I was expecting people to roast me alive.

Attached: Peeking_Coming out to take a look.jpg (260x200, 9.98K)

It's a good MCU. launchpad is Cheaper than arduino uno but not as cheap as arduino clones. There also isnt the glut of premade header boards

Hey, anyone got Learning the Art of Electronics: A Hands-On Lab Course?

I've been looking all over for this book!

Attached: ClipboardImage.png (1200x900, 1.12M)

How are you supposed to solder wires onto piezoelectric elements?

Attached: confuss anime garfield.jpg (1280x720, 101.91K)

>book is by some dude called (((Horowitz)))
Suspicious, but at least electronics can't be bullshitted too well.

Whatever.
I managed to find it on rutracker, here, third edition, pdf 30.4mb.

md5: af3e7ff028fa43c0253c385e8e3d5e0f

my.mixtape.moe/wnkafr.pdf

I just noticed that it lacks the "a hands on lab course" bit, my bad.
Unless its the same thing.
I have no idea.

Incredible that there are still people in tech who don't know Library Genesis

libgen (yomom) io
share intead of crying

I haven't heard many good things about the lab course, but the book itself is a classic, and recently updated to 3rd edition. I don't think it's great for beginners though.

Another 'lab' course you might like is 'Real Analog' by Digilent. There's a textbook, video lectures (excellent) and lab assignments you can do. All free of charge.
reference.digilentinc.com/learn/courses/real-analog/start

The labs are built around using a digital oscilloscope,
reference.digilentinc.com/reference/instrumentation/analog-discovery-2/start?redirect=1
and this parts kit
store.digilentinc.com/analog-parts-kit-by-analog-devices-companion-parts-kit-for-the-analog-discovery/

I'm not American.

It's a russian website
Polite sage

like that bib.tiera.ru thingy?
But yeah I have not heard of that thing.
Unless bib.tiera.ru is it.

There was another site like that though that didn't put all the fucking entries in one long ass page.
Forgot the name though and I don't have it bookmarked even though I did.
Ah, well.

Turns out library genesis was the site I meant.
Thanks for getting me back on it.

There are actually niggers, right here on this site, that don't even VHDL.

I broke off a resistor off a breakout board and was too lazy to solder something in place so I just put a piece of copper tape over the pads and it worked again.

You're a fucking proprietary windows cuck, confirmed. Thanks for coming out today to act retarded in an otherwise okay thread

Get an ESP8266 development board

You missed you chance to stfu.

You could use a standard RS-232 serial port and make a cable for it. The problem at that point would be software to flash it.

r8 my computer

Attached: 95FE3530-3AB0-451A-AC72-5D7B87D57952.jpeg (4032x3024, 2.75M)

He's not wrong. There is no completely free software toolchain for VHDL. Verilog hase icestorm. Get your facts straight before you accuse someone of being a LARPer.

Pretty good, now show a timestamp with it.

No one in the industry takes icestorm seriously, and you do not need windows to use Xilinx products like Vivado. If you're concerned about it being "proprietary", learn how to isolate it from the rest of your system.

I have a copy of the third edition
The first thing it does is teach you how to make a capacitor, it starts at zero and builds from there.

Step 1. Find two conductors.
Step 2. You have a capacitor.

Now to the hard part.
How to transmit data with several conductors next to each other and avoid making a capacitor.

Icestorm isn't software with a license in the sense that it protects your freedoms though. It is released under ISC (similar to MIT). If you're going to make a religious stance, you might want to consider that.

The Icestorm project has a CoC. github.com/cliffordwolf/icestorm/blob/master/CodeOfConduct

And here is the creator of Icestorm on reddit, discussing his product while also praising the proprietary Vivado. He seems to think it's "an awesome product". reddit.com/r/FPGA/comments/32ex67/why_is_fpga_development_so_bad_a_rant/cqallok

Meant to say isn't free software

That shows that the creator does not care as much as I do about free software. I will still use the project as it's the only available toolchain I can use though. I will just avoid using any proprietary software created with code from icestorm.

I personally care far more about open standards than free software, and I do wish these FPGA manufacturers would open up their formats. They're no where near as popular as they ought to be, and I can only imagine that greater tooling availability would spawn many more hardware sales. It wouldn't even harm the proprietary chains either, as many organizations have a reliance on vendor IP.

AoE is a nice book, but it doesn't have enough mathematics for circuit analysis.

A book you can find easily is Basic Electric Circuit Theory: A One-Semester Text by Mayergoyz is a good good goyz? supplement. Of course a good E&M physics book helps too.

What is a good book covering advanced analog electronics? Sedra/Smith seems to be a popular recommendation, do any of you have experience with it?

Answering my own question, but in case anyone is interested, I asked around and pic related was strongly recommended.

Attached: 51GRNJ62a0L._SX348_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg (350x499, 41.64K)

Another book for my Zig Forums library
Thanks!

It's a graduate text at Berkeley, so definitely not for beginners but does look good. I understand basic circuit analysis, a bit of physics, have read a fair bit from the Art of Electronics, and I'm a mathfag too. Before this I plan to read the Signals and Systems by Oppenheim, another book you should have in your collection. If after all that I still cannot grasp this book, I'll fallback to the Sedra/Smith one, which does look pretty damn good.

Actually I take the last part back. The content in Sedra/Smith is fine, but the 7th edition looks like a typical North American textbook (it is Canadian), with lots of unnecessary filler, just to justify the high price. The only saving grace is that the page count is 1488.