Ditch the laptop or keep it?

Theoretically I have a certain ASUS laptop in my possession the product key of which I also have but am unwilling to share here if said product key happens to be uniquely identifying and which has already been factory reset and powered off. Is there any way which this can be tracked if I power it back on, or worse yet, even in its currently "turned off" state? Also theoretically I accessed and uploaded all the files on it to a mega account before doing the factory reset, thus preserving the important info I needed from this computer. It is not a very expensive computer and I probably could not sell it, but if I wanted to sell it or give it away on say craigslist or to a random acquaintance, would that be a potential mistake and I could get caught? Once it's in the hands of an acquaintance and they start using it, will there be a chance the police come and take it and try to charge them and end up questioning them and asking who sold it to them and then they come and question me? I can also confirm that every picture taken with this device has exif data showing exactly where the picture was taken, which means there is probably some GPS system in the laptop, can this be a problem?

This also may not be relevant but the OS was Wndows 8.1 -- this does at least give some sense of how old the device is.

t. contemplating keeping it or just ditching it somewhere, probably not necessary to destroy it as I doubt it would have recorded the path I/we have walked, for however many days/weeks/months/years, and then buying a new computer so my/our trail is covered and there's no chance of me/us being tracked down

Regards, frogs with good reasons to be paranoid, also the stakes are very high here, and the adversary includes government/police, so whatever surveillance powers they have will be used as well to track these frogs

Side note: would releasing a few messages and/or low resolution photos (taken against neutral background and showing a frog is alive and well) over certain "secure channels" with intentionally modified exif data to give a position far away from our real location help throw them off and get them to look in the wrong areas, or would it be better not to even give these clues, which they might just figure out where it was really taken, or they might also be able to tell it was modified and maybe opened in a graphics editing program, or which might renew interest in active pursuit when they might just have already called it a day and stopped actively searching for me/us ?

Other urls found in this thread:

boards.4chan.org/g/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Also thank you to the board owner of Zig Forums for not requiring to upload an image to make this thread. I hate having to worry about that and trying to find as generic and non-specific and image as possible or using a 1x1 pixel transparent png with no attached exif data.

Oh fuck off, retard

Hang yourself high for us to see faggot

You don't like to discuss tracking technology and law enforcement I guess? Well then, no need for you to be so rude, delete your post in this here my thread if you will... or are you a butthurt police officer?

What specifically makes me a retard? Certain things I have described, certain actions I may have taken to lead me to these hypothetical circumstances, or are you suggesting that I am not allowed to inquire into tracking tech and have a thread about it where we discuss how people get apprehended due to the GPS in their phones and other devices? What exactly is your problem?

Try not being an extra special sounding retard and maybe we'll deign to give you at iota of advice, but you fucking blew it this time fuckwit.

NOW FUCK OFF

Attached: FUUUUUUUUUUUUU.mp4 (800x600, 7.84M)

>boards.4chan.org/g/

Go pester those retards with your retardation.

My fellow Zig Forums enthusiast who is most likely in the age range of 20 to 30s and a white male it seems you are quite inexplicably rustled by this thread. What could possibly be the matter?

I heard Zig Forums tracks everything you click, keeping a record of each file you enlarge or play. I'm not going to play your webm as such.

No I am not going to post on that honeypot officer.

I think these frogs are just going to have to destroy the laptop. It has one of those batteries in it that keeps the computer's clock going. I am not sure whether that would power the GPS potentially or not. I'm also too paranoid to try turning on and powering the thing on. I wonder if it would have been a good idea also to get the things batteries to run out as a way of turning it off, instead of merely turning it off, but with batteries still at least partially charged. Hmmmm... considering what's at stake it's probably just best to smash the thing. My/our lives are worth more than this stupid laptop. On the other hand it means having to spend money for a new device at a later time.

What does Zig Forums think about an ASUS laptop being smashed by a cautious froggy? Does this make Zig Forums sad or happy?

Unless you've actually removed the battery it's not "powered off" at all.

If it had a cell data module installed it certainly could have tracked your location. There is a persistent rumor that all modern Intel processors possess a radio transmitter (NOT Bluetooth or Wifi) which is capable of 3g communication and possibly is a software defined radio which means it could be communicating on any number of bands and / or modes. Stay frosty.

At least use the same flag if you're going to derail OP's thread.

ebin reading digits sire

I think I got it from a movie.

Frog? What the fuck are you talking about, don't expect us all to get this super criminal code. Anyway, MEGA is botnet, and your ISP is probably botnet too, just keep it on an external HDD. Also, if you're fond of your computer enough to count it as a person travelling with you, reconsider getting rid of it

Battery meaning the laptop's internal battery or the clock battery or both?

It's an Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU N2840 @ 2.16 GHZ

So is that recent enough intel processor to be a risk?

Btw are facial recognition cameras being used in America like in China? This frog may be purposely avoiding any higher end buildings and staying around places with the old halogen lights instead of those LEDs and that don't have the newest stuff until it gets to the safehouse to wait things out.

Who knows, the little sub processor backdoor spy device might not use much power at all. I don't think anybody really knows how much power a CPU needs to just turn on the ME but it has to be on for the rest of the CPU to come alive so it's not unreasonable to suspect it could run with less power than the full CPU. Also there are probably some capacitors which might be able to run a teeny tiny CPU core for a while too.

I don't know but you should be able to look up if it supports iAMT or vPro and if it does it could easily have a backdoor.

I think they are, wasn't there some news about a decade ago about the NSA using publicly available cameras and just suckin' in all the data? Think of all the cell phone cameras everywhere and traffic cameras. Who knows but this is clown world so it's safe to suspect the worst, and know that even that isn't probably as bad as it really is.

All old accounts and so on have been thrown away and won't be accessed or visited.

MEGA might be botnet but would it really be that dangerous to download the uploaded files later on, maybe months or a year from now? Would there be chance investigators would notice all those files got uploaded before leaving the pickup zone and they'd be monitoring whoever downloads from or accesses that account? Also, even so, wouldn't using Tor and/or proxies to access the account again and download the files be safe?

Keeping it on an external HDD would not be potentially good as they would be checked when crossing national borders or upon apprehension.

Most important files also weren't put on mega at all but were emailed to a protonmail account where they can be downloaded again. Don't know if that is just increasing the risk factor or not and it should have been all sent to mega. Sending it all to protonmail would have taken way too much time and files above 25 MB would never have made it.

For all I know the police are supremely incompetent and won't even check or monitor any of these things and with enough time passed they'll just go focus on other things. All frogs involved are pretty well informed and accounts went dead and deleted (with misleading info if they somehow still have a copy of the conversations). Maybe if enough time passes the frogs can relax.

(old accounts meaning social media accounts and emails and channels and such)

Got any news feeds you could link me to about arrests being made and how it's being done? I already see the ones posted on a certain onion regularly. It's usually people on their damned phones that get caught I haven't yet hard about people's laptops getting them caught.

heard*

Fuck having a phone smh only time to buy or borrow a phone is to not be suspicious to the board guards and I know someone personally who actually brought suspicion on themselves by having an old flip phone. In order to get past the border you got to have a normie smartphone. Also having no phone at all makes them suspicious too. I don't need or even use a phone ever but they expect me to have one. I just keep it powered off and uncharged always and then hide it in a box where it sits and gets dust until the next mission. Literally only purpose in even having it is purely for crossing the border. Everything gets more and more difficult and tyrannical.

I don't know about that, I just use Tor to shitpost and to avoid the CIA nigger botnet.