Icrosoft Windows 10 gains Linux/WSL Console copy and paste functionality

By Brian Fagioli
For better or worse, the Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) initiative seems to be moving full steam ahead. There are some very respectable distributions available in the Microsoft Store, such as Debian, Ubuntu, and Kali to name a few. Not to mention, Microsoft is trying to encourage even more maintainers to submit their distros with a new tool.

Apparently, some Windows 10 users have been clamoring for the ability to copy and paste both from and to WSL consoles -- a reasonable request. Well, as of Insider Build 17643, this is finally possible.

"As of Windows 10 Insider build #17643, you can copy/paste text from/to Linux/WSL Consoles!!! We know that this is a feature MANY of you have been waiting for -- our sincerest thanks for your patience and continued support while we untangled the Console's internals, allowing us to implement this feature. To ensure that we don't break any existing behaviors, you'll need to enable the 'Use Ctrl+Shift+C/V as Copy/Paste' option in the Console 'Options' properties page," says Rich Turner, Microsoft.

ALSO READ: System76 becomes GNOME Foundation Advisory Board member

Turner further explains, "This setting can be set independently for each shell or shortcut: If you pin your shortcuts to your favorite shells (e.g. Cmd/PowerShell/Linux) to your task bar, and modify the properties of Consoles launched via these shortcuts, your settings will only be made to the affected shortcuts. If you later launch the same shell via the Start menu, or the run dialog, your settings will not be found as they'll have been saved to your pinned shortcuts, not your Start menu tiles/shortcuts, or registry settings."

As you can see in the above screenshot, this is very easy to enable, and there is no reason it shouldn't eventually make its way into non-Insider versions of Windows 10. Quite frankly, it is sort of odd that this functionality wasn't included from the get-go, as it seems to be a no-brainer. Oh well -- better late than never, I suppose.

betanews.com/2018/04/14/microsoft-windows-linux-wsl-copy-paste/

Attached: Copy_Paste_2018.jpg (450x600 65.5 KB, 109.55K)

Embrace

lol, more reason not to use any of these distributions, ever.

I've lost all hope in mankind

Attached: 9a3f39712093bbcea0857825fb3936e9554000a0847fe109d7cff098520aaf86.jpg (593x796, 59.98K)

Extend

Embiggen

Wow it only took them 20 years.

Fuck off, Fag.

this is your problem now

This is clearly an attempt by Microsoft to discourage users from switching to GNU/Linux fully, making them think that they are getting the full GNU/Linux experience with WSL. It might make people think "Why would I want to install Linux on my PC? I already have the Ubuntu app! Plus I still get to use Windows too."
The problem here is just that. They are still using Windows. Windows has been known to spy on users, and often requires users to mess with registry entries and utilize external tools to MAYBE disable all the data collection. WSL's existence does not change that, and only serves to give users a false sense of security.
The primary reason for them being able to do this is because Windows is proprietary software, which does not respect your freedoms. Through hiding the source code and denying freedom 1, it cannot be publicly audited to ensure that it is not acting in a way that is malicious.
Upgrade from Windows. Install a distribution of GNU/Linux directly to your hardware.

Attached: Stallman.jpg (695x1535 1.21 MB, 256.76K)

I think mankind lost hope in you first.

I fucking love brianposting.

THERE IS NO OTHER DISTRO WITH CHOISE OF PACKAGE VERSION.

These flyers are so goddamn ineffective. If you truly wanted to give normies reasons to switch, you'd instead say shit like
>windows updates itself (and your drivers too) and reboots when it wants to, which can lead to system instability, productivity loss, and even boot loops (e.g. newest GeForce GTX 1060 update) unless you edit group policy which of course every normie knows
>windows slows down your PC and hogs your HDD by scanning it with Shitdows Defender, running System Restore, Superfetch, and the Search Indexer again, I'm sure normies know how to disable these things
But no, let's write some autistic posters with vague descriptions like "you lose your freedumbs" (and not explain why that's bad) instead; that will sure convince everyone

So? It's just their own version of Wine.

What a time to be alive.

Attached: 1520764160393.webm (480x360, 3.79M)

Implying they can do anything about that other than publishing official statement distancing themselves from M$.
ad hoc systemdick is enough reason to not run any of them

This just happened in a lecture today. It's the main practical reason to leave Windows behind, aside from privacy and malware issues, or the financial aspect.

Linux lets you analyze the source code(if you don't have the skills and training you can hire a firm to do it) to see what it does. Then you get to decide if you want to use Linux or not

And faggots still choose to pay Micro$oft to collect and sell their data.