Software engineers

How come so many software "engineers" suck at their job? How do they get their jobs? How come no one fires them?
Why are so many programmers so fucking bad?
How can all of this sustain itself?

Attached: 1490793414528.jpg (200x213, 12.17K)

Other urls found in this thread:

int80h.org/strlen/
felixcloutier.com/x86/PCMPESTRI.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

How come so many "shit posters" suck at their job? How do they shit post so much? How come no one range-bans them?
Why are so many normies so fucking bad?
How can all of this sustain itself?

Attached: 143f6f954a00cf65a2750b8b3cc41c1d2b8c8950ec99ecfc2c6492f21550ace1.jpg (800x450, 55.91K)

well done reddit XD

I've seen a team of people get "forced to quit" after a $1M+ project failed. TBQH though the principals didn't care about the code quality, only that it didn't work as expected. You could write dogshit code, and if it did what they wanted, they'd pay you to keep writing the same kind of dogshit.

Because that marketing guy who leads the company doesn't know shit about good software, so he'll hire whatever pajeet or neckbard that has qualifications in Java (that popular language I heard everyone uses).

Remember that meme where everybody lies on their resume? That's what happens. Manager hires a guy who says he knows python. He doesn't actually know python. Company wastes money finding this out and has no choice but to either fire him and find a new guy, losing time, or just eating the sunk cost and having dogshit code.

Software engineers are highly entitled, low pride in the craft. With exceptions to be sure, but many are just lazy. Often the projects are death marches that don't inspire you either. This is less of an issue in bootstrapped startups.

Attached: 077fa1fe0338284296e3d08a09a215501358ab5257a0b17fbca15b3da9586bcd.jpg (447x380, 30.69K)

Fuck off op your thread is shit get over it.

unsage

because normalfags (the consumers) have no standards

at least he's not a tripfag
>>>/kys/

whats with the sudden increase of tripfags on tech?
are we being raided by some gay discord group?

In general, software engineers aren't bad, and suggesting they are is a sign of absolute LARPing. External constraints force most software to be produced with a low quality. Those constraints are usually pointy-haired bosses and market forces.

Gay BO not forcing anonymous mode

Yeah why don't they just disable trips? There not useful in any way, especially considering half the people here are against centralized trust. If someone here really wanted to identify themselves, they would need to use GPG or something similar.

I'm a "software engineer" (I never call myself that) and it's quite true that most devs, at least that work with me are shit. I'm self taught, I was programming since I was 13 and I don't have a degree. I had to go through 4 interviews before I got the job (it took about 2 months in total because there was couple of weeks between them). I was nervous that I'd be the weak brainlet entering the professional environment and I'd get eaten alive, but it wasn't the case.

The jobs get done, the project goes forward, that is fine, I just don't like the way it's going. There's shit load of overhead everywhere that I'm not allowed to correct and I'm forced to write slower but "more maintainable" code. I'm not even talking about splitting everything into 5 lines long functions or using std string over const char*, I'm not talking about micro optimisations. I'm talking about coping vector of 100s of strings over and over because it's passed as value to a function or returned from function. I'm talking about having 5 maps with some specific element each instead of having one map with a structure of these elements (you only have to find it once). All I hear is "computers are fast now durrr" while they complain why their smart shit phone can't handle Spotify and gaybook messenger at the same time (they eat too much ram) and they don't see the irony...

I believe it's something about the university, because i know two other guys who don't have a degree and they are much saner. I will eventually leave for some embedded programming job cuz this high level programming (even in c++) is just to gay for me.

btw. Agile / scrum sucks ass and niggercock

Attached: stallman_yells_at_cloud.jpg (400x300, 25.1K)

Not everyone love their job.

It's not about university vs no degree, it's about giving a fuck about what you're doing.

to be fair, you do need to learn about the important things in life first.

Most of them are some other type of engineer who program. Where I work, people with CS degrees are the minority of programmers. I'm not saying that people with CS degrees are better programmers, just that people with other degrees generally have less readable, less maintainable code (that generally actually solves a problem).

College Diplomas.

That would mean people with less clue than them would have to do the work:their MBA managers.

Ah shit nigger, where to start?
CS. Computer Science is a branch of applied mathematics. It is not a "programming degree". Computer Science only superficially tries to teach programming, and most curriculums can be completed without a strong grasp of it. In my experience, those who did the best in the CS program already knew how to program computers.
HR. Human resources is hard. You have all of these motherfuckers who claim to know this and that, and you are trying to find the people who actually know their shit so that your company will succeed. Their success is your paycheck, so hiring is a very conservative process. This is where CS gets conflated with a programming degree and people like get thrown out for not having "credentials".

Because no one has any idea of what a better system looks like. Not even you.

Why would you pass a vector by value? For a return value, the compiler is allowed to optimize away the copy (and generally will when any optimization is flagged).
As for the map of structures: there is a trade-off point. At 5 maps, what you are proposing probably is value added for maintainability (my threshold is 3 to 4). If it grows to 7 maps, you need to put your foot down.

People who know that they're out of their league generally give more fucks than cocky cunts who think that they know everything.

You described it perfectly and I'm not even doing SE. I had some simple awk scripts (as in less than 20 lines) that I was told to rewrite in slow python shit just because the programminglets couldn't take 10 minutes to understand something as simple as awk I don't know if the fact that they never heard of awk was more disgusting or not. It's the same split as always: autist/normie, master/slave, aristocracy/pleb, whatever you want to call it, and nothing else.
If you want to be a good programmer, you need to have an aesthetic sense, some kind of artisan's perfectionism. Something that only comes to those who aren't relativist lemmings.

Don't forget "diversity training" :^)

That's the UNIX way. The same mentality that leads to using null-terminated crap strings and wasting huge amounts of time on "comparing characters to zero and adding one to pointers" also leads to the rest of that bullshit. C/C++ programmers don't think copying huge amounts of strings is a problem because they think strlen doesn't waste any time.

Never having heard of awk means they don't know what sucks really is. Awk was made because C and sh both suck and they made a new language so they didn't have to fix them and admit that C strings and arrays suck. If you want bignums, you need to add bc too, which also sucks. You want them to spend 10 minutes learning some awk, a language that fits between C and PHP on the quality scale (C < awk < PHP), when they could make a better replacement for awk in 10 minutes. Now that's disgusting.

> There's nothing wrong with C as it was originally > designed, > ... bullshite. Since when is it acceptable for a language to incorporate two entirely diverse concepts such as setf and cadr into the same operator (=), ...And what can you say about a language which is largely usedfor processing strings (how much time does Unix spendcomparing characters to zero and adding one to pointers?)but which has no string data type? Can't decide if an arrayis an aggregate or an address? Doesn't know if strings areconstants or variables? Allows them as initializerssometimes but not others?

And speaking of revealing patterns of abuse throughobservation of detail, has anybody considered that unixgeeks might be Adult Children or Survivors or be permanentlyIn Recovery? Perhaps they were sodomised by an awk at ayoung age, leading to a parodoxical attachment to the agentof their humiliation? If we could persuade them them tospend all their time attending pop-psych workshops in thewoods ("Fire in the John"), beating drums and invoking theshade of Dennis Ritchie, we could keep them away from theirkeyboards...

Yeah they should really separate it into CS and SE. A lot of CS students couldn't give one fuck about the math or theory and hardly need to in order to do the work they're aiming for. But they get forced through, do terribly, and standards go down to keep them graduating. And they hardly learn any programming either so they can't even do that. It would be far more valuable to put them through a series of courses on software vulnerabilities or maintainable code (and not just GoF shit).

lol you've really gone into retard territory at this stage

A sensible post on Zig Forums?!?!?!?

t. I write in a language that keeps every possible structure in a heap and arrays are implemented as maps

they don't give a fuck about their job because it's shit soul sucking work and they'd rather be dead than write one more line of code for their kike boss

I'm in uni, and at my school they do have seperate majors.

Your school has a sensible distinction between the two disciplines. Writing computer programs isn't the purpose of computer science while this is actually the purpose of software engineering.

kys

I think that's the S O Y referenced above, although learning Java might be more destructive to your critical faculties.

I don't know, but I fucking love it.
t. I barely do anything at work.

Fuck off tranny

Oh dear god why the fuck aren't they using string_views if they're throwing around and default copying strings? Not even const string &s?

LOL.

Maybe you should go to a good college?

Attached: huge fukn anime titties.png (538x536, 425.8K)

journalists get fired all the time
when they dont fill their soy quota

Attached: polcuckery.png (640x400, 157.17K)

Stop samefagging, and return to reddit my friend.

Attached: 33d1e6f1a85086b31d4185a582e47a8414ef2a1d79f4053ce2bdcb5082bba135.jpg (410x357, 50.07K)

top zoz

Attached: ur an idiot.png (964x702, 231.38K)

Zig Forums-certified version coming through

Attached: a55706c657dc22774565b1ce0f28395ea63561ee62cefe4afbe59a8e5cf2bba9.jpg (255x159, 28.12K)

You're the shit dev there, not your co-workers. What are the two rules of optimization?

Oops, wrong trip. lol everyone here is just salty because they can't keep up with modern technologies like node.js

If you're not licensed and bonded and a member of a professional enginnering society, you're simply not an engineer, unless you throw garbage into the truck or drive a train that is.

"Architect" is more like it tbh

But they do
they rent people to produce content or front content not made by them,only a handful of people has steady employment

You don't learn any of that in a university CS degree, unless you specifically choose electives that cover those topics.

Tech companies launder money for the Deep State and keep their prices high to fool you. In return though, they are expected to hire pajeets and force demographic change on their host countries. Nowhere is good code being represented anymore, and it might in fact be dangerous to write good code.

>>>/mewch/

where are you from?

There's a guy like you who works in my office. He's been in the industry for over 15 years and has denied multiple promotions because he doesn't want to deal with senior management bullshit. He's an analyst, a tester, QA, and he does that job because if he was a dev he would be pulling his fucking hair out trying to fix everything that's wrong in the codebase.

Because of “that’s just like, your opinion, man”.

I’m surprised you still don’t have a tripcode.

Attached: engineering.webm (1280x720, 12.94M)

Don't be mad at them. That's just what all their programming teachers told them.
source: All of mine said that shit too.

Will JAI save us all?

To be honest, JAI looks like someone reinventing an older, structured, strongly and statically typed language with no GC like Pascal or something, except with the trendier C syntax and some modern features. There are claims of it being "strongly" typed, header files are gone, "Data-oriented structures" that supposedly avoid classes and inheritance, improved assignment syntax, etc. I don't see any indication of it being released as a free as in freedom language anywhere when its ready, though. Would be DOA to me if its non-free. Whats so special about it compared to similar projects like Zig?

Attached: hiss at death.png (1440x1080, 921.04K)

A while ago Blow was asking for advice on licenses on his Twitter. He said that he neither likes the restrictive GPL nor the permissive BSD/MIT. He also was asking for suggestsions on good lawyers to write his own license if he won't find the one that will suit his needs. Dunno what it all lead to eventually.

Shouldn't strlen be a CISC CPU instruction by now?

The whole C standard library should be on silicon, we were doing this thirty, forty years ago with lisp machines.

There are a lot of system specific calls that the C library handles. As per the strlen question, it couldn't be handled correctly in hardware if an array of chars do not end with a null character, so those kinds of foul-ups can only be addressed in software, currently.

Anything that software can do the hardware can do.

I don't disagree. Software is only telling the hardware what it needs to do.

C requires the nul character, and x86 has this instruction:
repne scasb

Why don't you post the instruction then? Unless you are talking about the zero flag, I'm not aware of it.

From int80h.org/strlen/
strlen: push edi sub ecx, ecx mov edi, [esp+8] not ecx sub al, al cldrepne scasb not ecx pop edi lea eax, [ecx-1] ret

So, I lied. It's not one instruction. It's 11. But, the "repne scasb" instruction does all of the heavy lifting. Repeat While Not Equal, Scan String for Byte : this instruction increments edi and decrements ecx until [edi] is equal to al, which we initialize to zero.

Yeah, but what happens with a malformed C string that is lacking a NULL character? There are ways in software to determine the end of a string lacking a NULL character, but that is currently lacking in hardware.

The same thing that would happen if you used strlen from libc.

According to the C standard, the compiler is free to reformat your hard drive if the string is lacking a NUL character.

Related; this is the string comparison instruction:

felixcloutier.com/x86/PCMPESTRI.html

Attached: pcmpestri_flow.png (860x784, 289.19K)

No, because then the output would be 2 and (some undefined behavior). But that arithmetic operation isn't allowed to output any undefined behavior, since it's not enough to cause arithmetic overflow.

Where in the standard does it outlaw doing that? If doing 1+1 changes the values of certain flags in the flags register is it breaking the standard?

This is bait

Null terminated strings are retarded anyway. We are not in the seventies anymore, we can store the length.

1) Since strings are most of the time scanned linearly, NUL terminators don't incur any performance issues.
2) Adding 8 bytes to each string is retarded.
3) How do you check overflow of the length? Please don't tell me you plan on putting it in a gmp int.

Because nobody cares. All work experience involves pumping out a product as quickly as possibly and getting back to your normalfag life or other interests. Not to mention, every workplace has their own coding standards and will most likely encourage employees to do whatever works and then fix that shit later. There is no love for the complicated, underlying technology. People just want to get the product out.

Do this for a few years and every single important principle about proper programming is thrown out the window. This doesn't even mention how HR will often hire people who are able to pass an interview and the most basic of challenges. Much of the time, you'll find people who did a few certs in coding managing databases and people who have experience managing databases doing security. Shits all kind of fucked up but because the corporate world, and especially the middled-aged, female, marketing/sociology graduates running HR, have no fucking idea what they're looking for.

That's exactly the kind of thing that shouldn't be a CPU instruction because it should just be reading a couple bytes for the length. Choosing the right data structures and how they are implemented is very important even though C weenies want you to pretend it doesn't matter. Strings as a real data type with string instructions would be a huge speed improvement, but null-terminated strings in hardware would still be slow and still suck.

The C standard library does not benefit from parallelism or extra checking that hardware can do, but there are languages where this would be a big benefit.

Null-terminated strings were always a bad idea. People knew they were bad in the 70s too.

> There's nothing wrong with C as it was originally > designed, > ... bullshite. Since when is it acceptable for a language to incorporate two entirely diverse concepts such as setf and cadr into the same operator (=), ...And what can you say about a language which is largely usedfor processing strings (how much time does Unix spendcomparing characters to zero and adding one to pointers?)but which has no string data type? Can't decide if an arrayis an aggregate or an address? Doesn't know if strings areconstants or variables? Allows them as initializerssometimes but not others?(I realize this does not really address the original topic,but who really cares. "There's nothing wrong with C as itwas originally designed" is a dangerously positive sweepingstatement to be found in a message posted to this list.)

Attached: Crying-Indian.jpg (400x288, 81.35K)

Attached: shut-up-richard.mp4 (1280x720, 611.29K)

Seriously, the assignments were a joke.