Lessons from the Legends

There's a lot we can learn from the great programmers of our time. What follows is a list of quotes from them relevant to Zig Forums...

- Andrew S. Tanenbaum

- Dennis Ritchie

- Linus Torvalds

- Richard Stallman

Attached: Andrew_S._Tanenbaum.jpg (600x405 42.5 KB, 58.49K)

Other urls found in this thread:

debian.org/ports/hurd/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Con_Kolivas
stallman.org/articles/childhood-sweetheart.html
gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html
gnu.org/philosophy/pragmatic.html
gng.z505.com/cult.htm
gng.z505.com/stallmanism.htm
z505.com/cgi-bin/qkcont/qkcont.cgi?p=Please-Stop-Using-GNU-Licenses
gng.z505.com/fsf-gnu-site-bug.htm
fsdaily.com/stop-blob
marc.info/?l=openbsd-misc&m=143355112811564&w=2
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

thank you richard stallman

He wrote a kernel. A fucking kernel for his Intel CPU because there was nothing else on the market that would use all the new features on his Intel® CPU.

He was lucky enough for the community to take it, improve it and port it to other architectures. Hell, he didn't even think it was possible for Linux to be used outside of i686 CPUs.

Not saying his job isn't important. The Linux kernel is a good program and without him who knows if GNU would have ever been completed; I just don't like that affirmation. Feels like a giant "fuck you" to the GNU Project developers who spent hours of their lives making a free operating system, only for Linus to come and take credit. He may disagree with Richard, but at least he had the tact to not call the OS "Stallmax."

Linus may be a moronic lardass, but even I know that he initially called Freex or Freax what then became Linux, name given from one of his friends.

Stallman was going to name his kernel Alix, after his girlfriend

Fuck off with your autistic bullshit already, he made an OS using tools from the GNU project, not the other way around. The same way Volkerding made on OS out of Linux plus some useful programs on top. The same way Debian is an OS, not a collection of programs as your logic would imply. It's retarded that Stallman is all about everybody using the tools he made only to then want to take absolute credit on all of it. Fuck off.

Ritchie > Linus > Stallman > Tanenbaum

You can run Debian without any Linux but you can't run it without any GNU.

That's only because GNU is a bigger part of what makes it Debian. You can still run Linux without GNU if you use busybox and BSD coreutils.

If you think that's what it takes, you're underestimating the reaches of GNU. The coreutils are just a small part of GNU.
There's also glibc, GCC, GTK, GRUB, bash, Bison, half a dozen command line programs that are not part of the coreutils, and some other things I'm forgetting, probably. Many of those tend to be ignored not because they're unimportant but because they've managed to cross over to become standard parts of other operating systems.
You can get rid of those. I generally wouldn't call Alpine GNU/Linux. But Debian GNU/kFreeBSD is closer to the prototypical system people call "Linux" than Alpine Linux is.
Microsoft literally ported all of Ubuntu except Linux to Windows NT and called it "Linux on Windows". "Linux" might be the name we're stuck with, but that kernel can't make a good claim to being the defining part of the operating system.

These two are probably the most important, that don't affect only the GNU environment.
Also, Stallman is the mind behind POSIX. Don't forget that.

Attached: ClipboardImage.png (464x676, 633.18K)

Pointing things with finger on a touch screen is faster
Using keyboard to navigate cursor and shift to select files is faster
Using TrackPoint® to navigate cursor is faster than a dedicated mouse or touch panel emulating mouse
That's basics of good user interface, some people understand them better than a jewish dude who wrote a cuck-licenced kernel for world wide botnet.
Not everyone's a typist or a basement neet to learn fast touch typing in their spare time.
Oh look big mommy boy is speaking.

Gee, who even thought putting a remote desktop server with open ports by default inside a window compositor was a good idea?

I recall reading that he created an Unix clone because Unix was super expensive at the time.

The mind behind POSIX's name, purely for strategic reasons. The name they were planning to use was inpronouncable and he foresaw that people would just keep saying "Unix", which would be unfortunate because he could say GNU was POSIX but not that it was Unix.
Standardization wasn't his idea, and he doesn't like certain things about POSIX. You need to set a POSIXLY_CORRECT environment variable to get certain POSIX behavior.
The name of that variable was originally going to be POSIX_ME_HARDER.

That would actually be a superbly cool sounding name!

inb4 blockquote spammer

From The UNIX Programming Environment, by Rob Pike and Brian Kernighan.
It's just Linux.

Are you aware of Debian gnu/Hurd?
debian.org/ports/hurd/

commercial companies. The way the license is written, if you use any open-source
software, you have to make the rest of your software open source. If the government
wants to put something in the public domain, it should. Linux is not in the public domain.
Linux is a cancer that attaches itself in an intellectual property sense to everything it
touches. That's the way that the license works.

t. Steve Ballmer

Typing WPM = IQ
Why care about what a bunch of low IQ'ers think?

Thanks for providing citations op

it was much sadder than that. "Alix" was married and was he entralled with her, naming his planned kernel (and later a HURD subsystem) after her in a boyish attempt to gain her attention.
I seriously doubt rms isn't a virgin.

POSIX_MY_NEGHOLE

Newfag in the Zig Forumsworld here.

what the actual fuck with that guy's .

I know how much he like to travel around the world, especially third world countries, maybe in some of that trips he acquired some weirdo fetish about bestiallity?

fixed*

im just too overwhelmed thinking about stallman and a dolphin.

fixxed**

jesus fucking christ, im a dyslexic now

its ok I still love you! ^.^

that doesn't even have audio afaik, and only ext2 filesystem, and like, barely anything.
I'd bet on Genode, Redox, or the inevitable debotneted fork of Fuchsia.
But for real, I just really want a usable microkernel OS!

Attached: Len-shota-len-kagamine-29122621-376-500.jpg (376x500, 37.67K)

Oh please, all the fsf did was make a compiler, no one calls their programs /c or /python
Because that's stupid, if you bundle and make your own operating system with linux and verious other programs, you should be able to call it what you want.
Yes, linus made a kernel, but the deep part of it is that the kernel is what is behind most of the memory management on your system.
It's right down there with the cpu and it's making sure your programs run with the hardware you want it to run on.

Claiming it's just a small part of the operating system is stupid because it's one of the root processes running on the system.
Name me one thing the fsf has made AND COMPLETED that doesn't rely on the kernel. Hint: you fucking can't

Not to mention there are atleast 3 modern competitors these days ICC, Clang, Visual C/C++ that all support recent specs. Competition from Intel, Apple, and Microsoft.

afaik visual C++ isn't up to date with the most recent standard still, or at least it wasn't last time I checked.

Its missing some of the very recent c++ 2017 additions but has all the "modern" c++ 2011 features that were the big changes

I knew I'd eventually agree with Stallman about something.

feels...

Attached: sad-face.jpg (636x476, 34.63K)

Only POSIX considers stuff like cp, ls, rm to be an OS, other people don't have this retarded definition.

I seriously think that this is bullshit, given the trouble Kolivas had getting desktop performance patches accepted into the kernel. Most kernel devs don't care about how Linux performs on a machine that isn't a server.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Con_Kolivas

H-Holy shit.

>Linus started Linux as a desktop OS
>Kolivas had a hard time getting his desktop-friendly scheduler merged into the kernel more than a fucking decade later
There's no incongruity here. What Linux was intended to be is different than what it became. A lot changed in 10-15 years of Linux development. This isn't a secret or a mystery to anyone.

Please try to be less retarded next time you post.

Except that they have their own shitty kernel (mostly just CMU Mach). I think that it is capable of running Emacs, the real GNU Operating System (if only it had a decent text editor).

I would disagree.

Think about DOS. What was DOS? DOS's kernel was a FAT filesystem interface (the BIOS generally was the HAL). DOS was also a shell and a collection of basic tools for operating on files (granted, most of those tools were implemented in the shell).
POSIX follows this DOS definition of Operating System: it defines an API that the kernel has to implement, and a collection of tools that come with the system (a shell being one of those tools).

I agree, Linus, I agree.

And a debugger, a text editor, a shell, and pretty much everything that makes a UNIX clone useful.

Not like anyone else has one of those

Do I smell moving goalposts? The FSF did way more than writing "just a compiler". Fact. Therefore user (you?) was wrong. Period.

Yeah no one else has those we gotta pray to the FSF

FSF must have invented that no way any other projects made them

We really must thank GNU for making (even back then) yet another compiler

oh wow, i've never seen one of those before...

>no one calls their programs /c or /python because that's stupid
Literally everyone not working with C call their programs something even more retarded like pyprogram, programjs or jProgram

You are literally incorrect.

He's not, though. Node.JS, Angular.JS, React.JS, asm.JS, javaPOS, pychess, pygame, pyxplot, etc.

Attached: DXQAzKBXcAYWRCB.png:large.png (1280x960, 2.32M)

These guys are a bunch of nigger cattle herders tbh. Keeping everyone contained in ring 3.

Attached: nigger cattle.mp4 (640x360, 5.1M)

stallman.org/articles/childhood-sweetheart.html

He is, though. youtube-dl, mpsyt, Mathics, Hexo, Metalsmith, Django, Flask, lynxchan (!!).

I literally think that neither of you literally understand what the word "literally" means. Like, literally.

The figurative meaning of "literally" is "figuratively", unfortunately. It's an easy way to make a hyperbole. That's just how languages develop.
I avoid using it that way myself but most people would understand that it was used in a hyperbolic way in that post.

Most kernel devs don't care about how Linux performs on a machine that isn't a server.
Not true. They also care about embedded :^)

lets be honest here its pain to work with and its libraries are not designed to accommodate say games or day to day stuff
its failed there, the so called "UI"s are fucking annoying pieces of shit compared to what say Win7 has

The funny thing is that's not even true. Most embedded systems use proprietary OEM patches for performance related shit that never ends up in mainline

It's a lazy way to make a hyperbole, and it's a favorite rhetorical device of hyperventilating Millennials on Twitter OMG I am going to *literally* die if I don't get the new iPhone, like, 5 minutes ago. It has no place here, and people who think it does should literally* kill themselves.

*not meant figuratively!

Because you say so? Try and stop me, user.

Attached: 001.png (865x807, 821.13K)

POSIX_ME_NIGGER

Someone please make an image with a photo of Richard Stallman and the quote.

>Memespouting from the kike (((Andrew S. Tanenbaum)))

t. the degenerate mind of a kike

Please look back at my original post, where I specified that Hurd could run Emacs, and is therefore functional (for a lousy definition of functional).

DA JOOOOOOOZ
>>>Zig Forums

That's is the example of an intellectually poor individual with opinions based on jewtube content.

brainlets tend to ignore temporal scaling. This is due the mono dimensional thinking that its frail and simple brains are chained to. Please be understanding.

There is so much fsf has done to tech community... You are making a scene of yourself. Please teach yourself some backstoring and educational content before posting again.

It's incomplete and shit.

Oh noes! the goobergator is mad and is using buzzwords that mean jack shit!
What will i ever do!

Are you seriously this assmad that linux is infact an operating system? you want daddy communist to poz your neghole more?
If that's what you want, theres this nice place called /g/ on this other website that would be the perfect fit for (you)

Attached: 25d1ecabaf042fcaddb878da22cdd1e2c6621e7477a1d5ec0b6085138a4c3c9e.jpg (600x768, 114.81K)

They made a bad license and a shit ton of bloated programs.

>>>/israel/

Attached: take a closer look.webm (426x240, 391.24K)

That license is excellent, and far superior to any of your permissive ones, because it not only grants the user freedoms, it protects the code from treachery.
Proprietary software is inherently evil. It does not give the users the right to run the program as they wish, study it and change it so that it does their computing as they want to, redistribute copies freely, or distribute copies of modified versions. The second of these is highly important, as it is the one that necessitates that the code is publicly released, highly mitigating the chances of malicious behavior on the part of the developer.
Therefore, it is odd that those such as yourself would prefer a license that provides no protections against proprietary software companies incorporating Free Software into their products without having to also distribute their modifications under the same license.
Not only that, BSD people actually PROMOTE the unethical actions of proprietary software companies, as can be seen from the frontpage of the Lumina desktop environment's website.
Note the (including in proprietary distributions). They promote this as if it is a feature, when in fact it is a serious problem.

From gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html
Your BSD license is certainly a Free Software license, but it does not provide PROTECTIONS for your freedom. See the below excerpt:

From gnu.org/philosophy/pragmatic.html

Attached: richard stallman.jpg (1366x768, 903.19K)

HAHAHAHA

The GPL is considered harmful:
gng.z505.com/cult.htm
gng.z505.com/stallmanism.htm
z505.com/cgi-bin/qkcont/qkcont.cgi?p=Please-Stop-Using-GNU-Licenses
gng.z505.com/fsf-gnu-site-bug.htm
I'm glad other people have been posting this website lately. Stallman claimed OpenBSD "has non-free software" because he failed to understand the ports system - he also was completely ignorant of how Theo has railed against blobs for drivers (they still are fighting against them now, even though Linux has given up - Theo even got an award from the FSF).
fsdaily.com/stop-blob
marc.info/?l=openbsd-misc&m=143355112811564&w=2

Attached: gng-gnu.png (720x433, 115K)

I didn't know these parts. The only cancer/danger of the GPL is if (((they))) every take over the GNU foundation and turn it all closed source via redhat which is the CIA.

Keep enjoying that MSM-enriched SoyMeat™ with processed palm oil, m8.

Attached: richard - chimp eater - stallman.png (699x629, 543.67K)

Does Stallman know where AIDs came from?

It's just a simple counter-example, you have the option so I wanted to make it known. If you want a usable micro kernel OS consider minix 3 which is compatible with netbsd and should be the most functional foss micro kernel.

?

Why do brainlets always do this? It's AIDS, not AIDs. The S stands for "Syndrome", it's not there to pluralize AID.