What is the best build system?
Which build system do you use?

Attached: blaze it.jpg (523x526, 11.7K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bazel_(software)
twitter.com/AnonBabble

non-gnu make

gnu make

The absence of one. That is when you don't need one. :^)
If you choose Python, you almost never need any of that shit.

Attached: 101531514.jpg (819x1080, 80.71K)

Attached: слишком толсто.png (314x128, 8.99K)

cargo
cargo

cmake

Cmake and I don't use one, I just compile games from github.

This. I'd gladly do POSIX make, but doing
obj/%.o: src/%.c | obj/ $(CC) $(CPPFLAGS) $(CFLAGS) -c $< -o $@obj/: @mkdir obj/
in it is painful. The override keyword is also pretty good, even if I could do without.

A plain makefile.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bazel_(software)

fucking retarded. source tree should just come with an empty file obj/.keep

Unironically this

Kill yourselves

That plain make file is going to either A: be using auto tools AKA a disgusting piece of shit, or B: you are going to waste tons of time writing manual library rules for every single system you build on. OR you could use cmake that does it all for you.

Only if you have no idea how to write a makefile. Make is guaranteed to work on every GNU system, and it's piss easy to use. Cmake, on the other hand, requires everyone else to have it on their systems, sometimes outrageously so as it can refuse to compile if your version isn't the bleeding edge one. It also requires you to learn yet another system.

Did you not read literally anything in the comment?

What's wrong with cmake?

It was not written by an autistic communist who eats shit off his feet.

And yes, it is indeed guaranteed to work.

Not standard, adds yet another build system, yet another shit to learn.

>>>Zig Forums

So you actually did totally fail to comprehend anything that was said

>>>/lgbt/

You said a Makefile was either autogenerated or ugly. I said "only if you do not know how to write them". Looks like someone needs to learn some English.

kys my man

LOL read it again

stop tripfagging for no fucking reason.

That's just a workaround, though. I prefer clean stuff, and if GNU make gives it to me, I'll use it. Same way I use find -print0/xargs -0 in my scripts, since POSIX stupidly allows newlines in filenames.

What will you do if I don't stop, m8? Screech at me while downvoting saging threads?

Attached: DUP8d06VMAAAaQo.png (1022x731, 722.01K)

you need to go back

Can someone please explain to me (who hasn't written anything that requires complex build systems) why we need build systems more complex than make? I understand that make does automation, so what do those other systems bring to the table?

If it is just being able to automatically locate libraries, I don't think that should be part of the build system, but something the user supplies through options, or through the package manager. Maybe one could have some sort of "counter-make" which knows all the settings and paths on the user side and then calls make with the corresponding options. Like typing
counter-make bin
would then call make
make bin --LDPATH ~/.local/share/bin/my-shitty-libs
or something like that.

Well, my question has been answered. If you're triggered, my man, just use the filter option. Surely a le oldfag /b/tard like you knows how to do that.

shell scripts