What's the point of laptop? desktop is superior to laptop in all areas

what's the point of laptop? desktop is superior to laptop in all areas

inb4 using your laptop on train. you cannot do that because someone could steal it from your hands and your encryption would be pointless. or someone looking at your hands to see what password you type or what messages you send
inb4 using your laptop on sunny beach. sun will be sending rays to your screen and eyes, also there will be noise, people, so you can't focus

laptop is just a tiny botnet with integrated camera, microphone, mobile modem, wifi, nfc
and of course with battery so when THEY take your laptop while it's running encryption won't work

Other urls found in this thread:

libreboot.org/docs/hardware/kgpe-d16.html
raptorcs.com/content/TL2DS1/intro.html
sagernotebook.com/home.php
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

What is layout scrambling?

What is voice-triggered shutdown? (At least I imagine such features exist; in either case, a script doing that could be whipped in one hour.)

And in case you're concerned about it being stolen while you're unconscious, it's trivial to use motion detection to autolock the laptop as soon as it is picked up and escaped with, either rapidly or at all.

Install Gentoo

You're not going to bring your desktop to uni or Starbucks.

Attached: imac-hipster-cafe.jpg (805x541 47.88 KB, 79.14K)

So why do you leave your Desktop at home? Desktop is just as insecure in all areas.
The CIA and FBI can enter your house legally at any time and can get physical access to your computer while you are not home )and can be in and out in less than 30 minutes without any evidence other than tampering on the lock. They easily can just install a bootkit that bypasses your encryption and if they can't already do that and they would have full access. Anybody can install a bootkit really and do the same.
Nice try COINTELPRO.

Attached: images.jpg (217x232, 6.04K)

You can have your laptop with you at all times so the intelligence services need to K.O you in order to have access to your information.
You shouldn't have to worry unless you a weak ass bitch.

Attached: 220px-Kurchatov_Poststamp.jpg (220x310, 31.14K)

You can't as easily faraday cage your desktop and it's power supply. But with a laptop just unplug it and stick it in the faraday cage and you don't have to deal with people reading your power usage to botnet you.

What? I think you meant to say "captures your password," so to use it on a likewise captured encrypted image of your storage. Encryption cannot be bypassed; one must simply make the rule never to use a device that has been physically compromised even once ever again.

(Which is why it is important to always remember the fingerprint of the instance of execution of your device before you go to sleep, for instance -- so to be able to tell that it hasn't been taken away, restarted, and tampered with while you were unconscious. Same thing with respect to startup counter of your drives.)

You will be fucked sideways if your physical location is compromised so it doesn't matter if the spooks seize your laptop or your desktop. You will spit out the password after 3 minutes of torture anyway, a magnificent way to break AES (or Twofish, Shitfish etc. if you are autistic).

You will be fucked sideways if your physical location is compromised so it doesn't matter if the spooks seize your laptop or your desktop. You will spit out the password after 3 minutes of torture anyway, a magnificent way to break AES (or Twofish, Shitfish etc. if you are autistic).

Is it possible for a wholly encrypted device to undetectably yield different content depending on the password used?

Also I would really appreciate it if someone from Zig Forums staff could take a look at what is wrong with the server. This happened on other boards as well.

Quoting .

What's the point of computers when you can just encrypt everything on paper using some made up language+script?

Attached: Voynich_Manuscript_(3).jpg (1116x1536, 216.67K)

Speed, reliability, portability.

They will know. There was a way of sniffing out the password out of your brain by tricking your subconscious but I forgot what it was called.

"Forgetting"?

That was a serious question by the way. I know nothing about cryptography, but is it not technically possible to, in the header of the encrypted resource, always include at least a pair of passwords/keys/whatever (for deniability), generated in such a way that use of n-th one will always proceed to decrypt the respective 1/n-th of the resource?

"Forgetting"?

That was a serious question by the way. I know nothing about cryptography, but is it not technically possible to, in the header of the encrypted resource, always include at least a pair of passwords/keys/whatever (for deniability), generated in such a way that use of n-th one will always proceed to decrypt the respective 1/n-th of the resource?

What I meant was actually extracting the password out of your brain.

The information is never "truly" forgotten, I have found myself reconstructing memories as I dug through my family photos from 20 years ago and actually verified these memories authencity with other family members.

The process I was talking about was exposing the suspect with different combinations (or just characters) and observing his reactions (brain activity, heart rate, skin conductivity etc.) and guessing a password out of this data.

I only own a laptop that I use as my daily driver as well. I never even take it outside. I just leave it plugged in as an effective desktop replacement. My reasoning is;
1.) It takes up less space on a desk
2.) It's more convenient because I have the mouse, keyboard, and screen all integrated into a single unit
3.) If I ever do need to move it, it wont be a huge deal, just fold and go. If there was ever an emergency and I only had a desktop, I would need to essentially leave it behind

Modern mobile GPUs and CPUs are basically identical to their desktop counterparts anyways. The only disadvantages laptops have over desktops is less upgradability. But that's offset by the fact speed improvements in modern CPUs are basically stagnant and external GPU enclosures are now a thing.

Attached: shoulder_shrug.jpg (4288x2848, 3.78M)

sage for samefagging. But I forgot to mention the biggest advantage over desktops

You can't use coreboot on a desktop.
Proprietary desktopfags btfo!

Attached: 9d9a7cd1b95155b7c397d006ba5e32842f95e4720a815e53db761416366b4370.gif (722x720, 340.41K)

OwO whats these?
libreboot.org/docs/hardware/kgpe-d16.html
raptorcs.com/content/TL2DS1/intro.html

Attached: OwOkitttymeow.jpg (600x377 198.07 KB, 305.92K)

Attached: f84f5571fcf05c3f6aceaa13087e411f43317ea55e02e7303f05b4b260e5fc70.gif (291x320, 1.45M)

How do you manage?

I actually do use a physical mouse plugged in at all times. But it's nice knowing its not necessary and I can always get by with the trackpad

*giggles* you're silly!
The first one is the d16, which has full support for coreboot and libreboot and is a workstation board.
Second is TALOS II which isn't core or libreboot, but it has super-free firmware to the point where the FSF has been considering certifying it RYF.
Third is a kitten! ^.^

Attached: cuute.jpg (736x551, 57.06K)

Makes sense. I could see human and computational evolution as as parallel as for human memory even to allow undeletion, to a degree. Shredding takes effort, both in computers and in humans.

Why the fuck did you post that generic-looking case instead of the actual mobo inside?

Ok here it is!
uwu

Attached: 04AC29B5-3878-4D2C-BE45-2289ED6F2876.jpeg (1500x1000 60.47 KB, 1.12M)

sure because installing gentoo will eliminate hardware backdoors, camera, mic, firmware etc

and why would someone ever wanted to do that? what is wrong with the world?

-not if you do not leave house or leave when FBI doesn't work (saturdays, sundays, night)
-lock will be broken, so I will see someone was there
-can use additional lock on PC case

also I don't think laptop owners take them even when they do grocery. that would be very uncomfortable

those are valid points, but as you said, it's just harder on desktop, not impossible. other desktop pros outweight those cons
also if you faraday cage laptop you will lose internet. if you keep using internet they will know when are you using laptop

desktop doesn't need any space on desk. maybe keyboard and mouse, but you can use them on bed instead

that's not convenient. since it's integrated you cannot move them separately. if you keep your keyboard on legs you will also have to keep your monitor on legs

what emergency?

UPS is overrated and useless unless you live in africa or puerto rico

not if you physically eliminate them when they try to kidnap you. you have full moral rights to do that.
also moving to a country with human rights could be safer.
also how will the "authorities" know that you are shady and need to check your PC?

Lockpicking is easy. Lockpicking another lock is not any different than lockpicking a door lock, and padlocks are even easier.
Also

You know the grounded metal box surrounding the desktop IS faraday cage

...or People's Republic of Commiefornia.

Your country sucks
Your country is not cloudy enough
t. Not-white man in a 95% racially pure country

No. You already know the answer if you keep things simple in your mind.

Desktop:
PROS: highest power for lowest cost, high upgradability
CONS: no portability

Laptop:
PROS: portability, ruggedness (e.g. Toughbook)
CONS: high power and low cost sacrificed for portability, poor upgradability

So basically the choice between Desktop and Laptop is the choice between power and portability.

laptops are more profitable because they can't be as easily repaired and upgraded

Except when they are.
Are you a macfag or something?

But I did it. Checkmate.

All of that can be physically removed/obliterated per your needs.
Checkmate.

shit thread tbqh

No laptop is as easily repaired and upgraded as a desktop computer, fact. He didn't say there where impossible to upgrade or repair.

(You) sure must've meant "they were", mr. tripphage.

Can you carry a desktop in a backpack? Yeah, didn't think so.

u w0t m888888?

Attached: 1484991222122.jpg (353x356, 35.54K)

A large enough backpack would fit a slim ITX desktop with all peripherals tbh

Power consumption. Call me when a desktop can go below 10 watts idle including the monitor.

You forgot the massive usability bonus a desktop has.
just look at all the neck cripples from using a laptop for more than 1 hour a day
You need to use a desktop for 12+ hours a day for years to get that kind of deformity.

Laptop is quieter, cooler, easier to move around, easier to clean, and I can lie on my fucking couch when reading manga and shitposting instead of sitting in a chair.

Absolutely none of those things qualify something as being a laptop or not.

Can you flash Libreboot on your desktop? Yea, didn't think so.

what's the point of desktop? laptop is superior to desktop in all areas
inb4 your desktop is secure. you cannot do that because someone could steal it from your house and your encryption would be pointless. or someone looking at your hands to see what password you type or what messages you send
inb4 using your desktop in a living room. family will be sending sound to your ears, also there will be people, so you can't focus
desktop is just a big botnet with internet connectivity
and of course when THEY get to your desktop while it's running encryption won't work

Attached: your mom straight.jpg (668x738, 29.82K)

i am an uni student. i have labs projects other shit so I have to constantly move around and work in different areas. having a desktop would be extremely impratical. maybe if you are neet and only thing you do is browse loli and 8ch on it a laptop would be pointless

Don't you have lab computers with all the software that your classes need?

When did cuckchan/g/ take over?

Attached: 1519017543277.png (939x1163, 581.72K)

there are arm computers behind some monitors I could plug in and use. but they definitely don't have the software I need. also i have to run bloated software on them so they arent quick enough

You don't fit in.

sagernotebook.com/home.php

If that's an issue where the fuck do you live user? I feel like the money you spend on a new desktop for muh games should be spent on getting a house outside of the projects.

...Because it allows you to easily take notes in lectures and transport them/back them up anywhere? Did you even go to uni user?

I do. It's always nice to code anywhere. And a good laptop isn't heavy.

user are you fucking retarded.

Damn user you're so cool. Can you come protect me from the Cianiggers?

You're not wrong. For me my Thinkpad works (I also upgraded the SSD and RAM), but I can see why it wouldn't for hardcore gamer. Even it frustrates me sometimes.

I'm sorry user but I live on my own and have to go to work so I can't get mommy to cook me tendies all day.

You can hook a laptop up to a monitor. It's what I'm doing right now.

Attached: cirnofknrlly.png (321x361, 66.97K)

I feel sorry for you studying in a school who requires their students to be rich enough to buy laptop computers strong enough to "run bloated software" as a part of doing the coursework.

Usb persistant live medium

an okay laptop costs about 300$ and you can get one used for cheaper. it's not asking for alot. definitely considering the cost to go to uni. i just have to compile code, run matlab, and some proprietary circuit software. the arm computers dont have enough memory for that shit.

t. your brain on safety blanket laptops

So you already know that the benefit is portability, you just choose to ignore it.

What's the point of your post?

Bit they wouldn't since stealing is wrong

They won't because they physically can't without getting a face full of lead.

Attached: 9a2b19ab7b39377e8eb347363197a52aa2cbd10d4c08b80c9a86fb57b7024f1d.jpg (638x960, 56.65K)

I thought the whole deal about imageboards was posting shit without consequences tied to either a virtual or a real identity, not pandering to the expectations of faggots like you (or anyone else) on how they should behave and post.

>>>/g/

>>>/reddit/
There XDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

this is really shallow minded of you

To quote someone from Tumblr: if you get together and say THIS IS THE NO NORMS SOCIETY, SOCIAL NORMS CANNOT BE ENFORCED HERE the first thing that happens is that you’ll invent a lot of custom norms.

11.9gigs of usable ram

play pubg at 80fps
compiles quickly
renders 4k video quickly
take laptop to demo in front of business owners
take laptop to get a coffee and compute away from home
take laptop to the shitter if i wanna use it but shit at the same time
take it to bed to compute while being a lazy ass, and away from my chair
take laptop to recliner for max computing comfort
watching tv, decide that I want to jump on computer, bust out laptop and fire it up

not the best stats, but not chained to one area of my home all fucking day like a loser
costed me

Attached: Emma D.jpg (1687x2048, 370.95K)

REMOVE PAINT JOB

oh yeah, like portability, comfortable seating positions and cost.
fucking idiot.