Our future in the cloud

Imagine how much crime we could stop if hard drives were illegal to own by private citizens and everyone kept their files securely on the cloud. 10TB of free cloud storage per citizen would be plenty. Checksums and file-similarity scans could remotely delete pirated movies and illegal files from peoples' cloud storage and fine them accordingly. The existing hard drives out there would slowly die off and within 15 years even the privacy nut holdouts would find their home on the cloud. Your cloud storage would be provided by either Google, Facebook, Apple, or Microsoft so you'd have plenty of choice in provider.

Anyone else looking forward to a cybercrime-free future?

Who would have thought.

Not a bad thing. Having 100% citizen compliance with the law is the goal of every nation.

And annihilation of humanity will elimatate war, hunger, disease, and death.

I will be part of the resistance.

On a serious note, though, do you reckon the public yet may be dumbed down enough to agree to delegalization of encryption? I would like to think that we're past the point that this is a real danger; likewise with making mandatory possession of online accounts, use of approved hardware, and so on.

(Or rather, how do you think governments will incentivize relinquishment of those freedoms beyond what it is offered for them already ("convenience")?)

Good lord, you could have just said "banning" and saved 5 syllables.

As you allude to in your follow-up post, "democratic" governments prefer soft power techniques for population control. So they won't necessarily ban or publicly backdoor encryption outright, but they'll try to scare people with tales of how the bad guys are "going dark", and they'll fuck with NIST standards, put infiltrators in place in important certificate authorities, bribe companies like RSA to weaken their crypto, hijack downloads of security/commsec software, poison baseband firmware on phones, etc. Of course, the U.S. government, and probably GCHQ and some others, store exabytes of encrypted communications, much of which will be vulnerable to decryption if sufficiently resourced nation-state agencies ever obtain good quantum computers.

That would violate the law user

Not really considering most "cyber"crime laws are bullshit laws that shouldn't exist, especially ones pertaining to IP.

Assuming you're not being facetious, please die.

okay I will bite the bait.
secure from whom?
if you mean encrypted with a key unknown to the hoster then everything else you mentioned won't work.
otherwise it's not secure in a normal meaning of this word.

Attached: obvious bait.jpg (625x626, 116.99K)

Secure from illegal content and drive failures maybe.

Attached: 1522502798121.jpg (753x707, 331.2K)

I'm being neither facetious nor baitly. I'm describing an undesirable future as though I were trying to sell it to you, in order to have a small discussion about it. This should've been obvious to anyone who isn't retarded.

"securely on the cloud" as a meaningless marketing term. Hard drives fails. Do you really want to waste time making backups? Upload everything you own on our cloud and it'll be secure forever. unless we ban your entire Google account, including your cloud storage, because you uploaded a video containing copyrighted content on your Google-linked YouTube account

Attached: disappointed.jpeg (100x77, 4.95K)

I am a professional photographer. I personally have 22TB and customers routinely request copies from old shoots.

In a world where the number of people who have their ID stolen is larger than most countries? What could possibly go wrong?

(((crime)))

This is a good reason to learn about the hardware end of this. Then they won't have the power to take anything away from you.

Okay OP, yes we know normalfags will fall for this. But we can still have our own hard drives, no? Unless they eventually stop producing them - but that can't be since the corpos have to get their drives from somewhere.

You will need to pass a driving test to be able to buy a hard drive.

Attached: 1.jpg (400x293, 82.85K)

Remote storage couldn't work because of latency.

Freedom has limitations. GROW UP.

This isn't the rael OP. >He has different trips. OP is serious and you're twelve if you can't tell.

They would use Storage as a Service. However like I said (oops, entered the wrong trip in my previous post), this idea is impossible because too many applications require microsecond latency for this to be useful. Most of us have already upgraded to NVMe earlier this year.

At that point, why not just give everyone a dumb terminal and call it a day? That's realistically the best case scenario you're looking at without local storage. You won't even run the software locally, just view its output.

Attached: Colossal_Cave_Adventure_on_VT100_terminal.jpg (3264x2448, 1.88M)

Good idea, then we can largely bypass the latency problem.

No, communist, it doesn't.

You can't just freely decide to go shoot your neighbour in the face, can you.

Of course I can. I would probably have to face consequences for it, but I am able to make this decision and to act on it.

use the filter

I am free to torture and steal from you then.

Communism, left wingers, it means forced equality, forced compassion.

Ok, kiddo.

too many normalfags run exclusively cheap spinning rust HDDs that are not capable of microsecond latencies. Whom you're trying to kid, faggot?
also, kys you filthy tripfag

That's the idea, it's called a tablet.

You're kind of late to the party.

Attached: Screenshot_20180425-082042.png (1080x1620, 585.64K)

If the neighbor is a tripfag, why not?