ThinkPad (and Toughbook) thread

Old one hit 400 posts once again.

Attached: 1024_TP_Mechanical.jpg (1024x768, 709.14K)

Other urls found in this thread:

hooktube.com/watch?v=TEAO7jhxxwk
archive.fo/3nKN4
ebay.com/itm/New-for-IBM-Thinkpad-T60-T500-R500-T61-T400-R60-R61e-KR-US-Keyboard-42T3139/142180193237?hash=item211a9993d5:g:InQAAOSw1S9Wd7TY
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

More like feminine pads lol

Attached: 1425482058277.png (247x253, 75.98K)

So, my shitty 10-year-old laptop is finally dying and I'm going to have to buy a new one soon. Should I go for a t60 or a t420? I'll mostly use it for web browsing and maybe some light video editing. How do I avoid being scammed on ebay? Is there anything I should be checking for? How do you get the best deal? How much is too much for a t420?

T420 all the way, don't get memed into buying a T60.

As for your other questions: idk as I never bought, or cared about 14 inch ThinkPads.

Aren't old thinkpads supposed to be better than newer laptops, when one considers build quality and price/performance ratio? Also easier to upgrade, repair, etc? That's what I've always heard.

quality reply

I'm having real trouble setting for one specific memepad. I have owned every single memepad on this list and they have all annoyed me in some way.

T60: too heavy, too old
T410: even heavier, GPU is shit
T420: too heavy, GPU is shit, shitty screen
T430: too heavy, shitty screen, meh keyboard
X220: GPU is shit, shitty screen
X220T: GPU is shit, heavier than the x220 but manageable
X240: disgusting keyboard and touchpad, single channel RAM
X230: current

I'm... "okay" with this one, I guess. I miss the old keyboard but I can live with this. Was thinking of getting the x230T, that's the same thing but a bit heavier and you also get a touchscreen. Then, upgrading it with a backlit keyboard because the most likely scenario is that it won't come with one.

So.. what do you think? should I stop this consumerist frenzy and stick with the x230 or get the x230T and then stop?

X230/X230t with xx20 keyboard sounds like what you want.

hooktube.com/watch?v=TEAO7jhxxwk

Thinkpad 25 is currently the best Thinkpad.

No it isn't, it's obviously the P71 :^)

Nope.

Aren't Chinkpads loaded with spywares?

Why, what can I do with it that I can already do with my desktop or phone, and if they're so cheap can I put up one of a hundred bucks with 4 or 8 gigs of ram.

Well unlike a desktop you can take it with you, and unlike a phone you can install a worthwhile OS. Plus if you get one with a real keyboard it's way better than the horse shit chicklet keyboards all nupads have. Also Trackpoint.

Lenovo consumer laptops had this problem, never the ThinkPad line

literally any laptop made since 2010 has spyware from within the BIOS anyway. And you can always install a decent OS to minimize the damage.

Literally what is wrong with T60? People do buy even older ones, like T43 or even T23.

Sandy/Ivy Bridge is far, far faster than a Core 2 Duo in the T6x's, LED backlight, better iGPU on xx30 models, better battery life, and parts are somewhat easier to acquire.

Are you that tranny faggot who runs the /tpg/ threads on cuck /g/? You type exactly like it.

T60 is still fast enough for all tasks except modern 3D intensive stuff and more importantly has no built in government mandated backdoor spyware.

You mean xsauc? He doesn't shill Toughbooks so no.

Speaking of backdoor shit, you could always get a T400/X200/whatever 3rd gen Core 2 Duo ThinkPad and Libreboot it if you're that paranoid.

thanks, ended up getting a monster T530, I am extremely satisfied. Sure it's heavy but holy shit do the huge QHD screen and an actually decent GPU compensate.

Attached: s.png (1600x900, 1.74M)

Yes, ignore the shitposters newbie.

You don't have to miss it as long as you have 20 bucks and about 10 minutes to spare.

I wouldn't get the x230t because the resolution is a pain in the ass for drawing. So unless you want x230 touch-edition, stick with what you have.

or not.

lemme get that bg homie

Does anyone know how to put those lcd plastic sheets inside of the actual lcd display back together? Mine started delaminating on my t60 so i took the screen off so now its confined to the dock. I want to relaminate the pieces together bc i dont want to have to buy new parts. Does anyone know a generic lcd manufacture process i can do?

Anyway here is my setup right now. I used a donor t61s screen and put it back into my t60, the t61 in pic related is right now installing arch.

Attached: IMG_20180427_182749.jpg (2976x3968, 2.04M)

I'd just get a new screen, and if it's 15.4, a WUXGA one.

Attached: 1509863788002.png (1600x1324, 1.88M)

Nah, want the learning experience. Just finished setting up xorg with i3 just now. I might keep it as is because it makes a nice minimalistic desktop because theres no box clunking around or anything kind of like a bbc micro or c64. Its nice everything is all integrated.

Attached: 15248310544715866946683277297977.jpg (2976x3968, 1.63M)

How to make Firefox (or some fork thereof) look i3-like rather than like an obvious DE program?

Admittedly, that lidless Thinkpad sitting there in front of the monitor looks strangely reminiscent of some 80s home computer (and I had that vague impression even from your previous picture up above, so before you mentioned "c64" at all).

Attached: attempt.png (480x480, 1.48K)

there you go

I'll replace the keyboard. Thanks

Attached: 1523818422663.jpg (1600x900, 524.73K)

Would floppy drive and VHS tape drive fit side-by-side on a 4:3 Thinkpad?
Also I'm not the author of the image, feel free to shoop/gimp/mspaint/whatever it to your liking. The points regarding the keyboard and touchpad are somewhat valid (the ugly yuro one should at least be replaced with an ANSI one).
Concerning FP scanner opinions seem to differ, in the previous Thinkpad thread an user argued that the old FP scanners aren't botnet because they store the fingerprint inside themselves and only send a hash of sorts ("fingerprint of the fingerprint" so to speak) via the driver, as opposed to the newer ones which are basically cameras which send the actual fingerprint image to the OS.

you're obviously not a programmer.

Fuck yeah, found a palmrest for my T22. Now I have three working ThinkPads!

and none of them have FlexView displays and all of them are Pentium III machines :'(

xx20 keyboard, i7 QM upgrade and FHD screen upgrade and you're set for the next 10 years.

Anything shorter than 4:3 is bad.

But it's not shorter at all. It's wider. Eample: you have a 1600x1200 (4:3) screen. You add 10% of the total width (i.e. 160 pixels) to each side, resulting in a 1920x1200 (16:10) screen. Now 16:9 is actually shorter because you arrive at it by starting with 16:10 and then taking away the top 10% (120 pixels) arriving at a 1920x1080 screen, but we're not talking about that, are we.

I havent really done anything except install xorg, libertine fonts and firefox with a different font (i forgot exactly what i chose but it was the 7th choice on pacman). Just plain normal Firefox. Now you mention it, when ive used ubuntu with i3 before firefox looked a little weird like it had some gtk things still running or something. Check in pstree if youre running other things when you launch firefox, there should only be the essentials loaded.

What are the exact absolute dimensions of the 14.1, 15, and 15.4'' T60 versions? Is the indicated diagonal specific to the whole lid, or just the screen?

Im not a windows user but i really want to know how you riced it so tastefully? Looks awesome. You also might be able to upgrade that processor to something newer. Also get a dock, docks are awesome, even more so for heavy laptops.

Thanks. I used 7+ taskbar tweaker for the slim vertical taskbar, classic shell for the custom start menu and button, and cygwin + windows screeny for the vanity window.

I'm prolly just gonna wait until a fine looking, cheap W530 shows somewhere and get all that at once, this one is fantastic for my needs at the moment.

on the 15.4in version theres an extra in on the left and right of the keyboard other than that it seems just to be a wider thinkpad t60. depending on how old the model you get the internals are slightly different, my 2006 t60 for example does not have a magnesium backplate behind the lcd but my 2008 t61 does. the radios are also different. make sure to buy the correct parts for t60s depending on lcd size because they have very different engineering inside.

Has anyone here heard of the t470 (the old one but with modern hardware) and similar models by a group called "LCDfans"? I've been thinking of getting one, but idk if they are any good.

Attached: t70-680x453.jpg (680x453, 50.79K)

I think you meant T70. Don't expect much, if any support if you get one, and be prepared to pay shipping fees and all that bullshit.

yeah, sorry, I mean't that. I always have to pay shipping fees; I'm not burguerican.

Except your T60 does haev a magnesium backplate, it just isn't a Roll Cage like the T61 has.

Then don't buy the one with an IPS panel

I meant TN panel

Damn, I told myself to stop buying laptops, and I just bought a almost TOL M6500.

Even has a WLED WUXGA screen! Dead battery, but no big deal.

Attached: $_86.JPG (1000x563, 37.8K)

There is some glue from a factory sticker on the back of this t430.
How could I remove this? I am in bongland, they don't sell rubbing alcohol here. Only something called hydrogen peroxide..

Attached: IMG_20180430_152526784~01.jpg (600x800, 98.55K)

You can get 99% Isopropanol for Proton Scientific, try eBay.

One of the USB 3.0 sockets is brutally tight.
Like you have to hold the thinkpad and stick with both hands to release it..
Should I keep using it? I am scared.
The 2nd one is tight but smoother.

$5 for a 100ml. Imma try this. How do you know this company?

Or just get some brake cleaner, far less aggressive than alcohol.

It's cheaper too. I will try this.

I got my X220t today and am currently shopping for 2.5" and mSATA SSD's. On the side, I was think of getting something for the expresscard slot since the left screen rest has slightly broke off.
I was wondering if USB 3.0 expresscards are any good or if they are just useless memes.

ExpressCard USB3 is a meme, don't fall for it.

Got my M6500 in the mail, didn't expect it to be in awesome condition!

So what is the expresscard slot good for in the end? Ethernet adapter to not use the built-in one where AMT runs on?

Don't listen to that tard, Expresscard is fine for USB3.

Except it isn't, ExpressCard doesn't have the required power for it to properly work. What however does work, is a eGPU since you have a Sandy Bridge system.

Installed WS2008 R2 on the M6500, now going to install WS2016 on the mSATA drive for shits 'n giggles.

Pretty sure all the Expresscard USB3 adapters have a dongle to siphon power from another USB slot.

USB3 is overrated anyway.

Thanks for the tip! Not sure about the eGPU since I'm not sure about upgrading the screen. Maybe in a few months.

It's really not worth it.

JESUS FUCKING CHRIST THE MEMES ARE REAL

Attached: 2s3fevkk5mv01.jpg (800x600, 112.84K)

What could I do with that machine? It is not upgradeable, has slow CPU and RAM versions, fanless (piece of shit) design, just a glorified tablet desu famm.
I managed to run PPSSPP Teken 5 on it though.

Attached: ThinkPad-T430-Laptop-800-2.jpg (800x450, 52.01K)

Is this a meme or a legit upgrade?

Attached: 81dJxOiTdrS._SL1500_.jpg (1500x1154, 231.21K)

Back in the day it was, but nowadays I would agree that it's no use anymore, integrated audio chips are better than ever.

Were circumcisions introduced in US to sell lube and paper towels to burgers?

creative is a meme company since nforce2 onboard soundstorm chip

maybe you have bent the connector
figure out whats wrong and bend it back
or use a plastic toothpick to dig the dirt out

peel 1 corner and spray some wd40 on it
it will eat the glue away rinse and repeat until it is all gone

Used some of this. Couldn't believe my eyes.
The glue just evaporated to clean smooth surface. This is truly a magic spray.

Attached: 993998591c.jpg (324x925, 19.5K)

u ken kook meth wit dat....

muh ip is 127.0.0.1
bring it on

I shouldn't have used it indoors with the thinkpad in my lap tbh.. The fumes were strong and cancerous..

Brake cleaner is fucking amazing stuff.

t. uses it to clean laptop lids and remove thermal paste

Forgot to take off my trip like the retard I am. Got my T22 palmrest in the mail btw, now I have three working ThinkPads!

I shop strictly for the X200 and X60 w/ SXGA+ (and equivelant tablet versions). These are the only libreboot compatible models without a trackpad.

Have you guys noticed that most T60 keyboards have regular scissor switches intead of the kind found in the T4x series? Where can I buy a new keyboard for my T60 with the real switches?

Is Fedora decent for an X220? What about DE's? I know with 8 GB RAM sticks and a Sandy Bridge CPU I have some wiggle room, but I don't want waste too much resources.

Those are probably inferior Chicony or Minebea switches, early 40 series had ALPS.
archive.fo/3nKN4

This is the switch I was talking about; it's at least preferable to a scissor switch. Unfortunately all the new keyboards for sale have the scissor switch - I do own a (used) variant with this type, but the keycaps are rather shiny, so it feels too disgusting for use.

Attached: switch.jpg (1600x1200, 289.92K)

I just remembered - this variant had holes in the backplate (see photo). Looks like I found a seller.
ebay.com/itm/New-for-IBM-Thinkpad-T60-T500-R500-T61-T400-R60-R61e-KR-US-Keyboard-42T3139/142180193237?hash=item211a9993d5:g:InQAAOSw1S9Wd7TY

Attached: s-l1600.jpg (1600x1200, 232.13K)

>>>/4chan/

Just got extremely lucky and got myself a CF-19 Mk7 (!) for 420$! Even has the Panasonic factory recovery partition on it!

And I bought a 920XM for my M6500. Went nuts with ThrottleStop and it doesn't go below 3 GHz with all four cores 100% loaded.

Below 3 GHz? What about 3.5 GHz all core turbo and 3.6 on two cores? Too bad I can't get 3.6 all core turbo but whatever.

I'm thinking of getting a thinkpad and making it ad free as possible. Would a t60 be better for this or an x60 be better?

They're the same thing. Basically any libreboot-able memepad is "as free as possible". It just so happens that those ones are easier to libreboot.

EXWM or bust.

FUCK my life. There's a crack in the lid of my CF-19.

Thank god I can use a lid from a 19 Mk3 or up though. except there are none up for sale on JewBay as of now

Lads, Ryzen Thinkpads are becoming a thing. Really tempted to upgrade my 10 year old T400 for a A485. Hopefully the specs will be ok. I'm also concerned about the build quality which was quite random the last years...

Attached: 1.png (1952x1033, 265.69K)

Should be the same as the X280 and T480, the Aseries use the same chassis as them.

Found someone selling a job lot of disassembled CF-19's, waiting on him to get back from vacantion so I can buy it.

Thinking of buying a Thinkpad.

Either the X220 with some scratches for $160, sold by a private person or a T420 from a second-hand reseller with a 12 month warranty for $250.

Is it worth the extra money to feel safer?

Attached: 1516518898542.jpg (3000x1538, 816.69K)

I'd go with a T430 and swap the keyboard.

First ThinkPad? T430. The "classic" keyboard on the T420 really isn't all that - it just happens to have the old layout (not *really* important if you've never owned a ThinkPad before). Something to note is that you won't be able to use third-party batteries.
The T420 keyboard doesn't hold a candle to a T60 (NMB), 360PE, or T4x keyboard. You can try it out though, like the other user said.

Thanks for the help, got carried away by some Luke Smith video.