Ubuntu 18.04 LTS is now available!

>Ubuntu 18.04 LTS is now available! ubuntu.com/download

What are your thoughts fellow Zig Forums-anons? Yay or nay? I will install Ubuntu Mate version after a few days of testing. I'm currently on UM 16.04 and love it.

Attached: ClipboardImage.png (1198x672, 262.01K)

Other urls found in this thread:

insights.ubuntu.com/2016/03/30/ubuntu-on-windows-the-ubuntu-userspace-for-windows-developers
archive.fo/4DFJO
fossbytes.com/ubuntu-data-collection
launchpad.net/~plt/ archive/ubuntu/racket
packages.ubuntu.com/artful/racket
wiki.ubuntu.com/BionicBeaver/ReleaseNotes#Upgrading_from_Ubuntu_17.10
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

You should move away from Ubuntu ASAP. They consort with Microshaft and cannot be trusted. Unless you're extremely new to Linux there is really no reason anyway.

Use it.
Then post results

sauce?

umm.. the kernel itself consorts with Microsoft.

>insights.ubuntu.com/2016/03/30/ubuntu-on-windows-the-ubuntu-userspace-for-windows-developers
That's all I can be bothered to dig up. Do your own research if you'd like to know more.

People who work on the core are paid by the Linux Foundation which in part gets it's funding from Microsoft. Not the same thing but nice try.

This is like confirmation bias on layers of more confirmation bias
The LARP is strong with this one

Attached: 9b545f981836191e6d24521c50e0825af9b542ab9aa62497190a8e46a9bb94f0.png (234x255, 13.86K)

I installed the beta already
No complaints

It's better than the last LTS so far. I wish I could change the size of the top menu bar though

Can I finally install it with f2fs without jumping through hoops?

Attached: tinfoil-hat-guy1.jpg (800x450, 117.24K)

The Gnome memory leak fixed yet?

Will it break my shit (on the server) if I do a dist-upgrade from 16.04?

Just use mx-linux and install any DE of your choice.

>Not lUbuntu
Finally got an excuse to experiment with freetardshit on my old craptop again

Attached: 2018-04-27-004036_1366x768_scrot.png (1366x768, 191.02K)

install gentoo

Ubuntu is nice, unless you have particular needs or are into recreative ricing. If you love it, do install it.
Ubuntu does have issues but you can safely ignore posts like .

Trisquel is nice, Ubuntu is faggot shit.

wait disregard this I suck cocks and didn't realize 8.0 was just released

I installed Kubuntu 17.10 on my new machine a month or so ago, I'm still new to GNU/Linux. What about the packages? Can I just upgrade to 18.04 and have my packages be upgraded as well? What about packages from a PPA?

You can upgrade from 17.10 but your ppas won't upgrade.

So what happens to the packages I installed from the PPAs? Do I pray they still work, or do they disappear (or become inactive) because I'm no longer on 17.10?

Yes.
Which is why PPAs and similar 'features' are shit

For what purpose? They're basically taking Ubuntu and turning it back into Debian.

The PPAs are disabled during upgrade because they might break stuff.

It's highly recommended that you also uninstall all the pacakges downloaded from PPAs and upgrade, then add again your PPAs.

wew lads. Even Debian is better than fucking Ubuntu. Eat shit niggers.

Debian is the best distro out there, of course it's better than Ubuntu

protip: Every Ubuntu release happens by forking Debian twice a year.

just lol

ftfy

Actually Gentoo is the best distro

>used to send your search data to (((Amazon)))

unironically this

Don't be a pussy.

Backup your files and start over

The first LTS release is always filled with issues, I'd wait for the 18.04.1

Ubuntu is too mainstream.

Can you give me a reason why I shouldn't use Ubuntu at work?

The VPN which I use for most shit is on the same server. So it would be so-so. Higher risk of locking myself out, given that I'm in a oppressive country.

Fix snap first and then make it the only package manager.

Attached: 1464986741457.jpg (500x800, 108.51K)

At last I truly see

They've done plenty of testing with two alphas and two betas over several months.

Why

archive.fo/4DFJO
fossbytes.com/ubuntu-data-collection

Thoughts?

Before you read anything further, it’s important to note that users will have the option to opt-out of this data collection. The company plans to add a checkbox to the installer, which would be checked by default. The option could be like: “Send diagnostics information to help improve Ubuntu.”

Welcome to Windows

That's more similar to OpenBSD than to Windows, honestly.
If you wish to ensure that OpenBSD runs better on your machines, please do usa favor (after you have your mail system configured!) and type something like:# (dmesg; sysctl hw.sensors) | \ mail -s "Sony VAIO 505R laptop, apm works OK" [email protected] that we can see what kinds of configurations people are running. As shown,including a bit of information about your machine in the subject or the bodycan help us even further. We will use this information to improve device driversupport in future releases. (Please do this using the supplied GENERIC kernel,not for a custom compiled kernel, unless you're unable to boot the GENERICkernel. If you have a multi-processor machine, dmesg results of both GENERIC.MPand GENERIC kernels are appreciated.) The device driver information we get fromthis helps us fix existing drivers. Thank you!
I can't think of an illegitimate reason to collect the information they collect, while there's a very clear legitimate one.

See, this is opt-in, which is fine, but in Ubuntu it's opt-out.

How bad is it for Canonical to know your time zone and how much RAM you have?
The packages.ubuntu.com access logs are probably a lot more sensitive than the information they gather through this.

Underrated. Great advice here.

No thanks.
Migrated all infrastructure to BSD, moved laptop to gentoo for a while but ended up with Devuan.

Void Linux is the best desktop orientated distribution. Void, Devuan, OpenBSD, and Gentoo are the only operating systems worth a shit

Same thing.

Enjoy the COC up your ass if you ever feel like contributing.

Attached: 0c3ff913da66495500a356f0f6ee19aaef03b6d86c5295a98b56010832f583a3.png (1638x1701, 558.39K)

An entire Linux OS with decisions made by marketing teams, meme subsystems, and Systemd.

If you actually use this give Devuan ith OpenRC or Gentoo a try.

I shouldn't have to be paranoid about making sure i click some stupid OPT-OUT option when i install an OS. Privacy invading or controversial functions should always be opt-in not opt-out

Can't install Linux program. Must make entire daemon to do for me.

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

Just installed Kubuntu 18.04 on my new x86 system now, looks pretty good thus far.

Random websites can scrape just as much useful information about your system through your browser.

neither behavior is acceptable tbh

I wasn't implying that they were, I was just pointing out how most people on Zig Forums don't seem to care when websites do it without telling you, but when Ubuntu does it and tells you suddenly its the worst thing since systemd.

Where did you get that impression?
People complain about that all the time!
Why do you think we all (or at least I hope we all) have uBO, Decentraleyes, some form of cookie deletion tool, a user-agent changer, HTTPS-Everywhere, and possibly uMatrix or NoScript?
U make me confuse and mad >_

Based on my observations over the years here I have come to the conclusion that most don't, it's just a vocal minority that do.

Attached: BOI.jpeg (618x645, 104.18K)

I stopped contributing to nearly everything when every project I've contributed to has ended up sucking pottering's gayboi dick.
Now I spend my days patching and packaging anti-pottering shit for private repos.
When FreeBSD turns to complete shit I figure I have a minimum 2 years I'll move to Open or Dragonfly.
I just got done rebuilding a massive VM network and don't feel like touching it for a year.

One reason to use Ubuntu LTS is that it's popular, and thus considered a stable target for people to target software for. That's quite important in a corporate environment, but not something you'll care for if you're just tinkering around at home.

and thus->and also

that's literally the same as cygwin or mingw, does GNU consort with microsoft?

What's literally the same as those programs? You need to have some kind of reply greentext or nod to a specific thing to be able to use "that" so loosely.

I am going to continue using 16.04 for the time being. I like Unity.

It's stripped of personal data and it's one click.
Windows you've got to click a million things, uninstall some system apps, and you still learn you missed something

What if there is no PPA for a particular package I want? Like for example, there is no 18.04 package for Racket:
launchpad.net/~plt/ archive/ubuntu/racket

Does that mean I won't be able to run Racket on 18.04 for the time being? And my only options are to compile from source or get their downloaded installer? My concern with these things is that if I install something outside of apt it will mutate my system, but I won't be able to use apt to get rid of it again or upgrade it. (I was a Mac user before and I was using Homebrew)

What's the alternative to a PPA? AppImage is nice for standalone apps like Krita, but Racket is an entire ecosystem.

Racket doesn't have a PPA, but it's packaged in the main repository:
packages.ubuntu.com/artful/racket

Then what's the thing I linked to above?

I meant it in the same way as your "What if there is no PPA for a particular package I want", i.e. it doesn't have a PPA for 18.04.

Make sure you package it before you install it. Don't just install using the makefile. If you use a package manager to install things, you always need to use it for installing things.

You mean first compile, then make a .deb file out of the build products, and finally install that using apt?

A while ago I manually compiled Texinfo, and I set the prefix to a custom directory '~/.local/packages' because I was afraid of mixing my own Texinfo with the system one. Would creating my own .deb file out of a manually compiled Texinfo interfere with the system package Texinfo? I liked my solution because I have a shell script which searches '~/.local/package' for the usual directories and modifies path variables accordingly:
# Add packages safely as wellfor package in $HOME/.local/packages/*; do if [ -d "$package/bin" ]; then PATH="$PATH:$package/bin" export PATH fi if [ -d "$package/include" ]; then CPATH="$package/include" export CPATH fi if [ -d "$package/lib" ]; then LIBRARY_PATH="$LIBRARY_PATH:$package/lib" export LIBRARY_PATH fidone
Quite a hack, but it means I can remove a package without any traces by simply deleting its directory.

Seems to run in Live Session just fine. I'll be upgrading later tonight, but I'm going to use Budgie instead of Canonical's version of Gnome 3.

FUCK YOU CANONICAL

Thanks for listening.

How long until the upgrades are available for 17.10 users?

Should be available already.
wiki.ubuntu.com/BionicBeaver/ReleaseNotes#Upgrading_from_Ubuntu_17.10

It's "Yea", not "Yay", you degenerate.

If you're not already using something that works for you, try Ubuntu. If it works for you, great. If not, try something else and see if that works better for you. Rinse. Repeat.

Enjoy your botnet.

first day on GNU/Linux?
all distros work and they work the same, the only differences are philosophy, package managing and freedoms
distro hoppers are dick bag suckers; orange dick today, green tomorrow

I installed Xubuntu 18.04 today. Feels good.

Please elaborate.