GNU/linux smarthphone /genereal/

GNU/linux smarthphone /genereal/

Attached: l5ubuntu-1000x563.png (1000x563, 208.89K)

Other urls found in this thread:

ubports.com/
hooktube.com/watch?v=M7HJH0IH3dc
puri.sm/shop/librem-5/
support.planetcom.co.uk/index.php/Linux_Support
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I thought Marky mark discontinued it?

it cool but will it really cost 600$ when released?

POO IN LOO

FUCK OFF CIA

Why does uNav have the ICQ flower?
Are they also Mossad?

That's actually an ICQ logo, the GUI shows a highlight screen for an application with (((suggested))) ones in the bottom. it says:

postmarketOS had some big news lately, they're packaging GNOME, and starting to port osmocomBB to some modern mediatek devkits.

also inb4 unemployed kissless virgins spam this thread to oblivion with "why would you have a phone anyway?" shitposts.

OMG I WANT ONE!! OwO!

Attached: 70b7cd91fc95aa3eb6d50265914da894.jpg (444x626, 36.93K)

Meanie!

By the way, The Librem has its CPU separate from the baseband, making it much better than other phones in this regard

That's nice.
You know it's gonna fail like Windows Phone though, the market is already saturated, people won't buy phones with a new OS because it doesn't have any apps and devs won't make apps for it because it doesn't have any marketshare. Too little, too late, as they say. Way too late in this case, even MS have tried and failed in the smartphone market before, and they are usually the last to notice new developments.

This isn't a locked down, walled-garden ecosystem like Android and iOS. This can run literally any GNU/Linux application, because it's GNU/Linux.
You can even wipe the PureOS distro it comes with, and Install Gentoo on it!

Attached: behindthispost.jpg (491x491, 42.27K)

Really? Please point me to where I can find the competitors of privacy respecting phones mr. Google employee. Because there are none.
It's a new market, and strangely we had to wait 10+ years for it to finally come.

There are some. Remember that thread about a CEO being thrown in jail or something for selling his privacy phones because he was complicit selling them to drug dealers.

Have fun using desktop applications which aren't optimized for touch screens. Libre office, vim, emacs, Thunderbird, Gimp, every single cli application was build with keyboard and mouse in mind. Use a Windows tablet without the keyboard attachment and try using any regular desktop application. It can be done, but it's a pain.

Web OS, Firefox OS, older Ubuntu phones.
Granted, those aren't real competitors anymore since they already failed.
What market? Almost half of the people alive nowadays own a smartphone. Those who don't
a) live in shit hole countries without electricity
b) are so old they don't give a shit about those toys
c) are so poor they cannot afford a $30 android poo in loo phone
d) are Terry Davis tier paranoid and wouldn't want any device which can connect to mobile networks
People who would want a smartphone only if it respected their freedoms are few and far between. They either settled with Android (maybe degoogled) or reject phones in general. Once you connect to the network, you can and will be tracked, regardless of the OS.

Then it's not a phone

Everything this guy said, basically. I would be interested in a degoogled Android custom ROM tablet without any sort of connectivity or maybe WiFi-only with a hardware switch. I would gladly use it as a PDA/e-reader. I'd be interested in a free software flip phone too, but I'm sure nobody would buy that but me. Smartphone running Linux with no apps, the same shitty smartphones with low volume and terrible dialer/contacts, no thanks.

Something like this happened in the Netherlands as well. It was a company selling preconfigured BlackBerries for encrypted messaging. Justice demanded the keys and the cucks gave it to them. But I wouldn't consider those privacy respecting phones, since they don't run GNU/Linux etc.

I never owned a smartphone and the Librem 5 is making me consider to buy one. I never had a Facebook account either, so I guess according to you I am "Terry Davis tier paranoid". I prefer to call myself a rational human being.
Also 10 years a go wireless internet was shit and expensive. Nowadays with free wifi hotspots everywhere it is actually good enough for me to consider using it with a phone that respects my freedom.

It runs GNU/Linux. You can install everything you want.
You already tested the Librem 5? No? Then stfu.

>(((Free))) Wi-Fi Hotspots
You might as well send the CIA, Google and Chinese hackers your data immediately and cut out the middle man

Any "hotspot" must be considered a honeyspot at this point.

Plasma Mobile when? Also when asequible Librem 5? Would love to buy one, but downgrading for almost the price of my two gens old phone just feels wrong.

I would really like to see NixOS Mobile or something like that. Would solve the shit out of upgrades and probably cloud synch

Remember that Librem 5 is not a locked-down system like an Android phone or an Apple phone. If you want to install NixOS on the Librem, you should just be able to do it, provided that NixOS supports ARM (I'm not sure if it does)

but what if you connect a keyboard to your phone.

It already supports Plasma Mobile (at least as much as they can on their dev boards).

?

Why the fuck would I want a mobile phone which runs a monolithic kernel?

Are GNU/Linux phones something that's already practical for end users, or still just a tinkerer's domain? I'm looking for a tablet, but both the iPad and Android devices are reeking of botnet. There is one tablet listed as supported on the Ubuntu Touch website, but even that one is already two years old.

Ubuntu Touch has been cancelled by Canonical.

Buy a Nintendo Switch and install your favorite distro on it with bentpinhax. It has some nice specs.

Ubuntu Touch is still being developed by a third party, and I'm pretty sure that Canonical recently announced that it's giving some support to it again.

Apppps. If I can make calls and run terminal sessions in tmux on it I'm good.

And why, pray tell, would you want to use a smartphone over a laptop for that?
Get a used ThinkPad or some Chinese MIPS based shit and a dumb phone. There, I just saved you $300 and the pain of having to use cli tools with a touchscreen. No need to thank me, you're welcome,.

I know the Librem 5 supports Plasma Mobile, but I have no idea how production-ready is it. Is it any usable?

Nothing stopping you from running one of those 'desktop' Android Runtimes on it.

Carried on by the community via the UBPorts project.
It has a lot of activity and sponsors.
ubports.com/
Ubuntu getting away from it got more people interested, I hope the Ubuntu touch of death will destroy gnome next.

hooktube.com/watch?v=M7HJH0IH3dc

tbh a GNU/Linux smartphone should have a fold-out QWERTY keypad with a little trackpoint-like device. Like the GPD Win but thinner.

Yeah I've got a $40 T43. It's great but it doesn't do phone. This I could plug into a monitor and keyboard while at home, replacing the T43, and make calls, replacing my busted ass old flip phone that they're trying to make worse by not maintaining 3G. So, only fuss with the whatever shitty on-screen keyboard it has (they're all shit) when necessary. Sounds comfy enough.

Gemini?

Attached: Image-PDA-2-3-Right-1_1296x.jpg (1296x864, 105.03K)

I think they said on their blog that it was pretty much ready except for functionality that depended on a SIM card. They don't currently have the hardware to be able to test out those features.

Not him, but I would figure they would need to drop the ubuntu trademarks since it is technically separate from Canonical.

yah nah NSA, not his time tbh
could you please go back to reddit, to your le ebic secure flip phone cianigger circlejerk please?

Please point me to where I can find enough people willing to give a shit about their privacy to make a market for such a device. Because there aren't enough. This world is full of disgusting normalfags.

They raised 2.4 million dollars and people are already ordering them although they will be released in jan 2019.
puri.sm/shop/librem-5/

loonix failed to capture phone marketshare just like it failed to capture desktop marketshare.

No.

Android is Linux. Android is not, however, GNU/Linux.
Use Stallman's naming to avoid giving it undue credit.

KDE mobile is where it's at.

These. I'm sure that on rooted phones, the Linux foundation is immediately perceptible; not merely a matter of naming, but something relevant to everyday work.

It's the same people that did the so called 100% free laptop, they lied a lot and relied on hype they don't deserve attention.

what about fairphone2/3?

I've been trying to find a Xiomi or something I can run Kali or ubuntu on, that wasn't Nexus. But I gave up when there's nothing on the net anymore

Wow thats old news.
They now have Coreboot+ME_Clean on all devices, plus all of them being skylake.
It's not exactly 100%, but if they were going to be 100%, they'd just end up being yet another decade-old, Core2Duo, 1280x800 res, used thinkpad salesman like libiquity, minifree, vikings, and tehnoetic

TALOS laptop when?

Roll your own. Who cares if it's lumpy and unsightly. At least you will know what you've got.

RISC-V laptop would probably be way more feasible

Sure, when it's price drops by 200$ again it might be a good buy. But right now it's shit.

We already had monster laptops using 130W Intel LGA2011 CPUs on the market. It's definitely feasible.

Can I delete Android off it and use the entire SSD for my GNU/Linux distro of choice?

Yes
support.planetcom.co.uk/index.php/Linux_Support

GNU/Linux on Switch still barely works at this stage. It's only for tinkerers until things improve. If there isn't any real solution I'll have to settle for the cheapest tablet I can find and never use if for any personal data.

If you want niche hardware, you've got to pay more for it.

I think it even uses coreboot.

The point is it was 299USD in January, which was the fair price.