Do anyone use airgap here to protect their data?

Do anyone use airgap here to protect their data?

I plan to buy a cheap thinkpad and remove anything that could connect it to the external world.
The best setup would be a full encrypted drive, with an usb key that would unencrypt before calling grub.

Airgap must be, from my point of view, the easiest way to protect your data.
Obviously, there is elaborate attack that can break airgap, but I don't think that they're a problem if you're just a "journalist" doing some sensible work without even publishing.
archive.fo/zYpNy

Here, the two major problems that can occur, is physical access (but that's for everything), and, well, the media you're gonna use to make exchange between your setup and your airgap.

What would be the best medium to move your data? USB key? CD? SD card in read only mode?
What do you think about airgap for protecting your data, like bank account information, documents, "journalist" research etc..?

Thanks.

Attached: hacking-airgap.png (725x380, 236.96K)

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.fo/zZ7Ux
collective-evolution.com/2014/03/09/florida-makes-off-grid-living-illegal-mandates-all-homes-must-be-connected-to-an-electricity-grid/
archive.fo/ic493
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Buy a desktop. Don't plug in to network.

How about remembering a passphrase and disabling USB entirely.

Make sure you don't use any usb-devices, prefer burnable dvd. Use properly made disc encryption with proper encryption key handling. No wifi adapters as there is no way to trust them any more. Stuff that leaves the PC should be encrypted with PGP.

HAHA good fucking luck because the Intel CPU itself has a cellular chip that can communicate with the external world.

I wouldn't have an optical drive on the machine either unless it's behind a locked panel.

I was saying as much as I can.
Like a t60 with libreboot, with wifi/blutooth etc.. components removed. Maybe blue every port what you'll never use.
Obviously, if you're targeted, there are other attack that can leak what you're doing on you laptop, or simply ask the police to search your house. In my country, I have to give out the encryption key anyway or I'll stay in prison until I do.

Is there a problem in using SD card? I could give up everything related to USB key if it's ok.

Off grid power - Solar power + UPS is the way to go.

Give them the one that unlocks your shameful folder of furries, they won't ask for more. Keep the other proper key elsewhere.

Better put it underground in a metal lined bunker too, just to be absolutely sure there's no RF fuckery going on.

[spoiler]>no profit{/spoiler]

Where I live you aren't allowed to generate power for yourself on a regular basis (exception are emergencies where you would temporarily use a gasoline generator etc.). You must feed any power generated by (you) into the grid and then you get a discount for power which you basically have to buy back from the grid anyways.

I wonder if you could get away with that?

You couldn't. If you could, then anybody refusing to decrypt actually encrypted shit would have plausible deniability (assuming that any encryption worth its salt has output with a level of entropy pretty much indistinguishable from that of /dev/urandom output, which I guess can be safely assumed).

Does anything resembling encryption (or more generally information scrambling) exist in nature, or is the human species the only one doing this? Compression of sorts seems to exist (DNA being an example), but encryption?

Compression exists because it's efficient, and evolution values efficiency. Most encryption is inefficient. It takes more energy and space to do the same thing that something unencrypted could do. Nature has passwords, keys that only fit certain locks, but I don't think it has encryption unless you get very liberal with the definition. Like, is camouflage a form of encryption?

Is SD card a good medium to exchange infos? What would be the best?
DVD seems costly and slow...

The best medium for transfer is sd card with an encrypted filesystem.
Using disc media is fine too, but you are limited by writes.

What's the point of having an air gap if you'll be constantly inserting removable media into it? You might as well connect it to a network at this point.

You certainly can't compare the two.
There is certainly problems with using sd cards. But I don't think that you have huge chance to get infected, by anything that could hurt your airgap, especially if you're using a read only sd card.
I mean, tell me if I'm wrong.

How would it matter if the sd card was read only or read or write? Are you worried about your air gapped computer writing malware to the sd card and then infecting non air gapped computers? lol

Pretty much the opposite. That my network connected machine infect the sd card, that would then infect the airgap, scanning all of the files, then sending the info when I replug the sd card in my networked computer.

A lot of companies are using air gap, and that's costless, so I would not be suprised that malware would be coded just to infect medias, to discover air gap.

How do you copy files onto it to backup then if it's read only?

There is a physical switch on it. But well, I don't know how it really works at low level, so maybe it's useless.

I don't think you would have anything noteworthy to look at if you can't even utilise a search engine to find out what an SD card switch does.

I planned to search, don't worry.

Attached: laughingpepe.jpg (399x365, 41.97K)

How would bank account info on a computer that can't access the internet be useful? You couldn't use it for online banking, and if you aren't doing online banking, why even store that electronically?
I mean, sure, you could transfer it, but the moment it hits a networked computer you'd have to assume it gets stolen anyway, so what's the point?

Where the fuck is that how can it be illegal to make your own power?

Nice try kid.

America, europe, and preety much anywhere the (((fake jews))) own.

Show a Federal law that forbades private energy development. You can't because it doesn't exist. Energy development is purview of the States, and even then, there is no law in any State that requires someone to have their property wired to the electrical grid.

It wouldn't be federal it would be state you amerimut. And read it and weep archive.fo/zZ7Ux collective-evolution.com/2014/03/09/florida-makes-off-grid-living-illegal-mandates-all-homes-must-be-connected-to-an-electricity-grid/ Also see the IPMC 2012 edition archive.fo/ic493

Dude get fucked by my own words.

He said federal you cuckmutt.

Attached: v - Copy.png (983x273, 70.69K)

No op but I believe it's France land of justice.

hahaha I refused it and they couldn't do anything because it's more illegal to enter the house illegally than generating your own electricity.

archive.fo/zZ7Ux collective-evolution.com/2014/03/09/florida-makes-off-grid-living-illegal-mandates-all-homes-must-be-connected-to-an-electricity-grid/

Sometimes if I'm feeling spicy. I host an FTP server for my network though and so I leave myself connected to a physical ethernet cable a majority of the time.

How does a smart meter connect to an air-gapped desktop computer? What is the significance that people are capable of knowing your precise energy draw for the whole household?

Show us where the antenna for this chip is on the CPU die. Find an image of the CPU die (exposed) and point out where the cellular chip is.
protip: you can't

Attached: hurr durr durr durr.jpg (274x321, 26.12K)

Why does it matter what OP does with his data? Do you feel justified in pretending that you are better than OP by proclaiming the old "nothing to hide, nothing to fear" mantra?

huh huh explain house boats which Florida is full of.

Some metal plaster mesh that you ground should take care of any RF problems

Attached: ResizedImage327245-pro-mesh-application.JPG (327x245, 16.66K)

Even worse, some places has outlawed private water, only the fluoride in the tap is allowed. Or growing vegetables in your own garden.

>pointing out bullshit+lies == (((nothing to hide, nothing to fear)))

That doesn't exist. There is no CPU in the world like that.

it would be a easy thing thing to do, insert a wireless something into the dye.
But not really practical sitting under a meal heat sink in a grounded pc box.

It would also be an easy thing to detect. All you have to do is build a faraday cage and detect for cell phone signals inside the cage.

who says it transmit anything until it get a wakeup signal ?

The PC itself is a faraday cage. The case is grounded and no signals will escape unless you build a ludicrously powerful transmitter which would be easier to detect.

I was more talking about doing your accounting. You don't need internet connexion for that.

Very interesting. I'll think about it.

Well, they are taxing for example any use of solar panel, to halt alternative use of electricity. Since electricity companies are most of the time national, they don't want you to use anything else.

I heard that in france, they were forcing into people's home to install it. God, to get any privacy, you need more and more skills... I'm go buy an electrician book I think, need to know more about CPL filters and UPS.

They won't know about your water/electric setup unless you talk about it. So just keep your mouth shut.

Weren't the Iranian systems that were infected by FLAME airgapped too?

Would putting such mesh in apartment walls/ceiling/floor be effective at blocking neighbor wifi signal from entering the apartment (and blocking yours from leaving it)?

Putting mesh would help. For an estimation regarding the type of mesh, use the same grade (hole size) of mesh as used in microwave ovens, since both operate at 2.4 GHz and microwave oven mesh would function to block wifi. Any conductive material would work for making the mesh (e.g. small size chicken wire).

Don't forget to ground the mesh correctly.

Antenna's on the motherboard, connected to the TX and ground pins of the radio inside the computer.

Prove me wrong, protip you can't.

THEY will just take your usb drive and decrypt your PC
you need a password, long password

then "forget" the password. or kill them. or move to first world country

why cucks living in your country allow that? your country need to be nuked or bombed

do we need terrorism against the state? will this solve the problem?

That would make it worse. They are begging for an excuse to crack down, and will jump at the opportunity. Why do you think they are letting in hordes of the people most well known for terrorism?

So you're saying that they are cracking down on the citizens of the country but not the new migrant hoards who are literally terrorizing the country?

Antenna's not on the motherboard, not connected to the TX and ground pins of the nothing inside the computer.

Prove me wrong, protip you can't.

but they already crack down on us, without excuses
if we make strong terro actions, they will submit

Study the GLADIO operation, and what happened in Italia in the cold war. Maybe will you understand the true nature of "islamist" terrorism.
Remember that Baghdadi, before being the head of ISIS, was in Guantanamo. Remember that all of the head of ISIS are old head of Irakian military etc...

I'm sorry, I explained myself badly. I meant moving to an usb key the part you don't encrypt. You'll use the usb key just to decrypt using a passphrase. It's to protect yourself from tempering.

Basically the whole west.

kek

Attached: hugo-boss.jpg (991x631, 140.17K)

Attached: 1437504371982.png (545x595, 248.02K)

A lot of you seem to don't know much of the facts about smart meters here. I'll give you some insight, a close relative of mine works for a company that makes these smart meters, because of being in the business, he also knows a lot about the inner workings of power distribution and electricity departments.

Smart meters were born out of a necessity. I'll give you an example which will make things easier to understand. In britain, most homes still have the older analog meters with the rotating disk thingies. They were prone to sabotage. Another major problem with these is that once every couple of months, a person has to go and read the meter, according to which the connection is billed.
This was fine and dandy for a long time, until labor rates and number of connections increased. In most first world countries, labor is very expensive, because of this, the electricity departments saw a new problem arise. They were actually losing money on labor cost of meter readers. It was unsustainable.
There was a duration in Britain, where they couldn't afford to pay meter readers, so customers were being billed on their yearly average consumption, and not metered usage since they didn't even HAVE the data on the metered usage.

Then came the smart meter suppliers in the 90s. The idea was simple, if the electricity meter had a radio in them, they could directly report to the electricity departments and cut the inefficient human meter readers. Consumers were forced to install smart meters because a lot of people were smart enough to resist this, they had to pay less, or not at all with the older analog meters.
The newer smart meters are really advanced, they can

Because you think engineers are gonna work on a project thinking that it's gonna hurt the population? How do you think coders at facebook are working (watch this former execute working at facebook describing how they designed the very addictive like button and the whole addfictive design of facebook)? How do you think any of these people are building the shackles the society is putting on the population?

Your pal is certainly honest, but incredibly naive, like nearly everyone working at an intellectual job. Thanks to college that only build submissive and the same as possible "human resources".

Smart meters, or anything "smart" coming in your home is a direct thread to any private life, and so to the most basic liberty. Actually, in my country, these smart meters reports electric consumption unencrypted, so any attackers who plug himself to the line can actually know what is going on in your home. Moreover, (((the government))) will now exactly what you're using. And that will be the same when IOT will invade our home. EVERYTHING will be monitored. Privacy will literally be impossible to achieve. We'll be rats in cages.

And I'm not even talking about CPL and the controversy about it. Obviously, nearly anything our society produce is poisonous, always with the slogan "the good it brings is better than the cost". Yeah, that's why half the population is gonna die from cancer (1/3 for women) before 50 years in a few generations.
That's why a lot of people is more and more touch with chronic fatigue. etc.. etc...

The more at the top of the jobs you are, the more naive you are. College teachers may be an exception.

Attached: is-you-of-serious-comrade.png (628x418, 298.58K)

This is wrong, the data is encrypted and very well protected. Its even transmitted over a secure link. This is very important data you see, it can be used to interpolate socioeconomic conditions, usage habit and a lot of more, so its in the electricity companies' best interest to keep it safe.

>Moreover, (((the government))) will now exactly what you're using
Except the meter doesn't send anything other than power consumption, units consumed and some other details. The meter won't automagically know what you're using at the moment, this isn't science fiction.

SD card read only switch only interfaces with the OS. You can easily bypass it. CDs are by far the best as you can never write to them after burning.

You can infer so much from power consumption. Just saw on a 500W load? user probably booted up his computer. With this we know not just that you booted up your computer, but when you booted up your computer. Now we can corroborate this event with your "anonymous" online activity.

Not where I live. And the "well protected" is seriously questionnable, with all of the leaks and stuff. Nothing is well protected regarding technology.

It's far from enough to know a shit tone about peoples. I know it's not in real time, but it's enough to know what kind of equipement you're using.

Exactly. That's what I'm afraid the most: even stronger traffic analysis.

That's bullshit like metadata. It's like watching someone walking into a hat store then watching them walk out with a store bag and assuming he was buying drugs.

No, you just look at his credit card, or if it was cash, then you look at his internet history.
If neither figure anything related to cap, then they would not know. That's why they're pushing for a cashless society.

Have you ever heard of Palantir?

Spot the normalnigger.

Just a thing about SSD and encryption: you still can use encryption on a SSD, but you can't TRIM it.
So in the case of an airgap, that don't exchange a lot of data, I think that it would be ok. But even security wise, you'll need a special treatment compared to HDDs.

LUKS work with trim
it's a hassle to set up, but it works

It works, but it's not advice security wise, because of how TRIM works. Sectors will be able to be localized if you activate TRIM. It is a problem by default because the partition appear full from an exterior part.

See "--allow-discards" in cryptsetup manpage.