Talos II computers started shipping

TalosII ppc64el computers started shipping here's an unboxing by tenfourfox: tenfourfox.blogspot.com/2018/04/unboxing-talos-ii-its-here.html?m=1

Attached: IMG_20180427_163426.jpg (240x320 12.08 KB, 27.83K)

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.fo/KvVkZ
openpowerfoundation.org/technical/resource-catalog/
github.com/open-power
openpowerfoundation.org/?resource_lib=power-isa-version-3-0
supermicro.com/products/chassis/4U/747/SC747TQ-R1400B
developer.ibm.com/linuxonpower/2018/04/19/ibm-power9-smt-performance-db2/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Anyone here got one yet? Mine's still waiting to be shipped.

Ye, we're getting closer to summer, I guess.
He also forgot the archive.
archive.fo/KvVkZ

Attached: ClipboardImage.png (1200x1600 2.9 MB, 2.49M)

for what purpose?

To escape the >>>/botnet/

Autism. 99.9 percent of users will never need this. If it proves to be significantly better than the alternatives in terms of performance, price, and compatibility then I'm all for it but as of right now its not

The RaptorCS guys told me a few weeks ago mine was shipping early this month, still need to buy everything else for it since I only got the mobo and twin 8 core CPUs.

This mostly, but I also have code I need to port to Power9 and developing highly optimised ISA specific code is basically impossible if you don't have a native system to test it on and fuck using cloud infrastructure.

Hope that these buyers will make it possible for a cheaper machine to exist after that.

and then we'll finally get the ultimate power laptop

Attached: PowerBook-G5-hot.jpg (900x486, 44.79K)

It will be difficult to say if the price will drop in the future, we probably wont see a new workstation design until Power10 comes out in a few years and I don't think the demand exists for a cheaper desktop-oriented model although they could make one by taking the existing dual socket design and removing the second socket and associated hardware.

no-one is exempt from botnet in $CURRENT_YEAR

let's just take the botnet and make it open source botnet and it's okay now.

pls buy

Attached: 8e4b6c3f708d8fdc33f060dd9839b6b8deef1e96aa88122c63251027b3516912.jpg (937x937, 130.88K)

its cheaper than a budget xeon and a middle end gpu lol.
Also you have no idea how much big companies depend on obscure ISA's to run their hacked together 30 year old software.

More like 50+ year old software, the Z80 is still in production for a reason...

Because it's a proven design that's cheap to make and capable for its price?

Why are you so opposed to it?

I wish I had the money for this thing..

Attached: OMGSoGayUwU.jpg (400x549, 34.71K)

IT BEGINS!

And PICs too.
There a still a few thousands of people in corps around the world who know how to fucking exploit hardware, when you make a blender you don't need a 8 core arm cpu to make it works even if it as fucking IoS networking.

Me too my friend me too, shill it for freedom and maybe at some point it will be affordable for poorfags like us.

I really can't wait till there's affordable RISC-V stuff, even just a pi-like SoC, with support from a distro. I want to make a NAS or something out of it.

Sadly on thing available now is a devkit meant for debian porters and things like that.

4000 dollars what a bargain. I rather get fucked by the botnet then pay 4000

shoot yourself.

Have you ever bought a workstation?
4k isn't much at all.

If I had $4K to spend, I'd just get an Amiga 3000 or two with all the goodies instead. It's not like I'm running an Internet server or whatever that needs latest workstation. Plus, I'm not even that big a fan of Linux/BSD anyway.

Its like buying a racing boat to sail in your backyard swimming pool.
you autists need to face the truth, linux is NOT a productivity OS

Attached: 10918982.jpg (450x403, 20.37K)

because the price of this thing is extreme jewry.

for this price you could get the newest jewtel processors and risk burning up 10 motherboards trying to get me_cleaner to work with it.

Linux is a productivity OS for developers, easily.

Enjoy your proprietary platform firmware

enjoy burning up 5 grand on something can can be solved with me_cleaner and a $20 router with a firewall.
i'm not opposed to this but the pricetag is bullshit.

That's not a complete fix. A BlackHat presentation explained that the ME can still be exploited even if you me_cleaner it or use the HAP bit thing

You can buy just the mobo and CPU for $2500.

the point is not to do that

For 5 grand I can buy the TALOS mobo with two 18-core POWER9 CPUs. What x86 system can you spec in this price range?

It's only the mobo that is expensive due to being a low-volume custom part. The CPUs are surprisingly cheap. As a result, the higher you spec your TALOS system, the more cost-effective it becomes.

I don't care much for security, I only want the autistic feeling of being in control and owning my machines.

You're just like NSA, user. They also want the feeling of being in control and owning your machines.

Agreed. Linux is a kernel.

Much like the situation at ski resort where young women are looking for husbands, and husbands are looking for young women. But the relationship is not as symetrical as it may seem at first glance.

Attached: unicorn.ans.png (640x368, 3.56K)

Markov bot?

No, because there is a fucking huge codebase for them, for many applications its easier to just use a chip from the 70s than it is to re-write the code you have for a newer chip.

I forgot about them, I miss working with PICs, simpler times.

A single Xeon Platinum 8160 costs $1000 more than the entire dual 8 core Talos system, has less threads, less cache, lower base and turbo clocks, and less memory channels. Even an EPYC CPU comparable to what two 8 core Power9 CPUs provide is more than the entire Talos system.

And even after you buy the newest x86 CPU you still are forced to run binary blobs on undocumented and highly privileged processors.

I assume you have some evidence to corroborate your assertion

Attached: 2431cc9bc42131b9ca1d56cca48d387e513feb88a1a4dc212ac5f05e462cce44.png (899x547, 32.81K)

where's the documentation on these processors?

I wasn't meaning to imply that the Z80 wasn't a proven design, just that the main reason why they are still around today is because of the codebase which exists for them.

Undocumented can also mean that no documentation is publicly available, Intel has internal documentation on those parts of their CPUs but don't release it for obvious reasons.

and where are the cpu schematics for this power 9 processor?

openpowerfoundation.org/technical/resource-catalog/
github.com/open-power

that's the firmware, where are the cpu schematics?

they're behind a 6 figure paywall which requires you don't release them

Attached: goytable.png (829x449, 40.76K)

all you gullible faggots dropped $5k on this system because it was "open" yet none of you are considered privileged enough to view these "open" documents.

Attached: goytable3.png (705x608, 64.7K)

so basically, they felt for the "open" meme and got jew'd?
they lost $5000

You just click the links in the openpower page, the IBM portal needs a user account but openpower page is fine, at least on all the links I've tried.
Everyone semi-literate understands that you can just git the firmware source code and download the spec sheets, this is an open software machine, not yet open silicon.
The FSF has endorsed this machine.

I would like to have a machine where even the silicon itself is libre but no one is going to get there if the steps taken to get there are attacked for not being perfect.
Shitpost on your botnet machine because the alternatives don't reach the nirvana fallacy which you don't even uphold.

what's the point of "open" firmware if you have no idea what's on the chip? for all anyone knows the firmware goes on one piece and there's a completely seperate botnet somewhere else.

The sentiment is great but it's meaningless if the hardware isn't open and it definitely doesn't justify the price tag.

IBM just calls it an ABI (not "embedded") in their docs, why the fuck does debian want to call it "el"?

I can't wait to buy one of these second hand on fleabay with my yearly salary. Kinda jealous.

If anything, this serves as a testament of why closed source software is shit; you can't get it to run on another architecture and are wholly dependent on the vendors making their applications software available for it.

What's the point of open anything unless you can scan each layer of every single CPU?
Reducing the unknowns is better, otherwise we'd all stick to windows and solaris.

This machine has potentially an infinite support cycle by the community, even when IBM stops supporting POWER9 you can still patch vulnerabilities.

Spanish: endian little
English: little endian

Nothing you can do about it gringo.

What are the top 100 OS used in supercomputers ?

Do you remember how history went ?
Before the mid 80s everything when software was shared there was no license, blueprints were available, and then progressively each years some hardware and software was closed it was made more obscure.
To be honest I think it's a miracle that we are slowly going backwards on this, 100% libre software/hardware will only be achieved by slow upgrades with the years passing by and I hope that when we achieve that we won't go back to the nightmare we actually are living.
I just hope that people won't make the mistakes we made I don't want people to suffer like today all these suspicions all these abuses are damaging morally and mentally to everyone.

It can run in 8-socket configs and has full-width AVX512 execution units though.

to distinguish it from older, obsolete ppc64 ABIs

In theory so can the larger socket Power9 CPUs, the ones in the Talos system are the equivalent of the W-Series Xeon while IBM has also has a larger version which is for servers. Also the Xeons in the 8 socket config still are only limited to being directly connected to 3 other CPUs since each only has 3 UPI links.

True, but to be fair if you are at the point where a significant portion of your code is 512 intrinsics then you may as well just port it to CUDA or OpenCL.

If you are willing to take a step back in terms of processing power you can get most of the way to 100% libre software and hardware. Most microcontrollers have massive manuals which describe in great detail each register and how each module operates, some have display hardware and many have USB. A computer made with these could only get more libre if the VHDL of the silicon was released.

POWER9 has it's own unique SIMD, apparently it is the only processor to support AltiVec 3 instructions. I was able to find some of these instruction's names but I cant find ANY kind of complete or useful documentation on POWER assembly, let alone AltiVec 3. So if anyone has any details about it, I hope someone can share a link in the thread.

Every vector instruction in the OpenPower ISA for the Power9 is in this document, page 223 is where the vector instructions start
openpowerfoundation.org/?resource_lib=power-isa-version-3-0

Instruction set doesn't tell you anything on its own about performance. You can have 512-bit wide vectors and implement them with 128-bit EUs by repeating each insn 4 times, for example. POWER9 is known to have weak vector units, since its main target market (high-end servers) doesn't have much use for them.

Well you don't need strong CPU vector performance when you have 8 P100 GPUs connected to the CPUs via NVLink

In many workloads, yes. However you still suffer sync latencies if your workload requires constant back-and-forth data shuffling between sequential and vector algorithms. There IS still a market for CPUs with heavy vector units.

Thanks a lot for this, I will have to go through it.

I understand, I just wanted to point out that POWER9 has it's own SIMD since

this is essentially what this is. IBM charges $100,000 + for the priviledge of being able to look at the data sheets, which talos did, and then passes the cost on to the customer.

Would you support this if Intel or AMD came out and said alright, you can look at PSP and ME, but you have to pay us $2000 first for every chip sheet you look at and you have to sign a NDA ensuring you don't tell anyone else about what you find, ensuring that they also pay the $2000 goy fee.

It's better than nothing I guess, but I'm not paying the goy fee.

also the cost get's passed on to you, so talos can look at the datasheets, but you can't.

Wait, we can't look at the datasheets for the talos? Then its fucking botnet.

Good goy!

Attached: 6577487cfcd9fc8c7571afc198d981330bbbcc575bdd11a3bccb90cd9b5d8fb8.jpg (2647x3107, 465.76K)

The only solution is running everything on open-toolchain FPGAs.

To free yourself from Wangbozos 10

Is there any libre FPGA silicon out there?

oh my fucking god don't post

How do you think those FPGAs are implemented? With fairy powder and unicorn farts? How do you know they're not botnetted behind your back?
just shifted trust from the CPU manufacturer to the FPGA manufacturer. It doesn't make anything better.

Never forget

no, you are not allowed to look at the datasheets, not unless you pay $100,000 and then sign an NDA. You have to take IBM's word for it, just like you have to take Intel's word for it or AMD's word for it, only their processors are half the price.

wut?

you have a point these aren't any more expensive at this level. xeon's are more expensive than this list.

What kind of case is this? What are these blue things?

Supermicro CSE-747
supermicro.com/products/chassis/4U/747/SC747TQ-R1400B

4 threads per core? WTF? Apple is fucking gay for dropping the PPC arch.

POWER9 actually has 8-way SMT, not 4-way SMT, see:
developer.ibm.com/linuxonpower/2018/04/19/ibm-power9-smt-performance-db2/

But the CPU's availible for Talos II don't seem to have it enabled.

Attached: PowerMac G5 - Is it Obsolete_.mp4 (640x360, 2.11M)

This is bullshit. POWER9 has 4-way SMT.

There exists a special version of this processor that "fuses" every two 4-way cores into a vertically clustered 8-way "core", giving half the core count and double per-core thread count. There is absolutely no technical advantage to doing that, as every thread can access only resources of half the fused "core". However it lets the buyer jew software vendors who jewishly price licenses per core of the target machine, which is a common practice in big-iron corporate software. Jewing jews is the sole reason this version exists.

The 4 and 8 way SMT is due to differing requirements among VM and bare metal applications. The VM guys wanted less cores with more threads each while the bare metal guys wanted more cores with less threads each. The solution was to divide the Power9 die into sub units called slices which have two 4-way SMT cores each or one 8-way SMT core each depending on if the application. The biggest 4-way SMT CPU is 24 cores, the biggest 8-way SMT is 12 cores.

PPC was a lot different back then, its only through IBM slaving away at it that its gotten good.

But then why do the benchmarks on that site say that it makes it faster? I've been reading a little bit about this stuff but I don't really understand POWER9 that well.

Can you install Windows on it?

Thats for a very specific workload involving databases. Database performance is often very sensitive to changes in system memory access patterns since most of the time the software is reading and writing to large amounts of data in RAM, due to the way modern CPUs handle things like cache coherency and system memory accesses its more efficient in the case of Db2 running on a Power9 CPU to have a single core with more threads than it is two cores with the same number of total threads.

Find a Windows NT for PPC and install that.

You can install Windows10 on an x86 system emulated inside QEMU.

That will be big-endian.

Why? Do you not understand that Windows is proprietary software that disrespects your freedom? What's the point of buying this computer for the sake of "security" and then installing Windows on top of that?

Windows NT for PPC exists. They didn't change the arch endianess between that period.