When will Zi come out??

From gnu.org/software/zile/

uwu when is this gonna happen? I want my comfy lightweight editor!

Attached: 7634a83bdbddfa8d66e4e8ad9fa2a274.jpg (164x92 59.63 KB, 4.27K)

Other urls found in this thread:

)
sanctum.geek.nz/arabesque/actually-using-ed/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rope_(data_structure)
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unrolled_linked_list
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gap_buffer
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Why are animefaggots incapable of discussing anything without also uploading an anime picture? You are a Jon Lachney level soyboy.

The GNU project has its own extension language Guile, why do they never use it? What advantage does Lua have?

fucking dropped

There's an alternative acronym: Zile Is Lossy Emacs.

h-he's cute though.
i dont drink/eat soy. Aside from soy sauce on Japanese food of course ^.^

Found the clueless cuckchanner.

Use nvi then.

Modal editing/control characters were a mistake. Use mg or ed (both are in OpenBSD's base install).

Everything went downhill when people started writing computer programs. Break the cycle, don't use a text editor.

Because 1. programmer doesn't know scheme 2. programmer doesn't care about scheme 3. programmer picked a better scheme than Guile.
The only way someone uses Guile is if they are literally a GNU tard. There's no other way you'd pick it.
It's easy and nice to use for everyone.

Then what is Guile if not a language? In before
Scheme is not a language, its specification is so spartan that every implementation adds so much on top of it that it becomes effectively its own language. Usually an implementation picks up one revision of the RnRS as a base, and then keeps adding its own stuff on top of that, while only implementing some features of a newer spec. Guile still does not and probably never will fully support R6RS or R7RS (small).

* Scheme is not a real language was what I meant to say. Scheme is more akin to an idea of a language, and as with every idea, people end up implementing it differently.

Just because there isn't a reference implementation for Scheme doesn't make it less than a full language. Scheme is a full language that has had seven revisions to the language specification over its existance since 1970. It's even a part of the IEEE standard.

If pic is not related, not even in a metaphorical sense, don't post pic.

>>>/auschwitz/
just use busybox vi

do you realize where you are faggot

Vi is based on ed, and that's where the modality comes from. Anyway it's much better and easier on your hands than chords like emacs.

If you like drinking soy while you watch your anime and take it from behind from your boyfriend's boyfriend, that's your own problem but don't be a hypocrite about it.

What exactly is Zile anyway? From the description on the website it sounds like a text editor toolkit or library written in Lua, but now that I downloaded the source code it doesn't mention Lua or being a toolkit or using Lua anywhere, it's just a smaller Emacs.

You seem to be rather confused. Anime is not particularly gay by itself. Rather, pretending to be an anime girl on Zig Forums is.

What are these common algorithms and data-structures the author speaks of?

things you need to manage text buffers in memory. e.g. how to represent insertion of text in the middle of a huge chink.

Go into more detail.

No. Go look at it yourself. I haven't personally used it so I can't tell you any more.

It's not spoonfeeding, it's answering a question. It's alright if you don't know; just say so.

It is spoonfeeding. Spoonfeeding is asking easy questions for attention or because you are too lazy. See: shitoverpozz. OP posted a link (underlined text starting with http:// or ) which you can click on using your mouse. (No, you can't click using your keyboard. No, that's not a touchscreen.) Is babby happy now. Ok go to bed. No you can't piss on the keyboard.

Amazing. Why you even bothered to reply is beyond me.

*giggles*

I could look it up no problem. But you can too. So go look it up. You're the one who wants to know.

Fuck off. Don't pretend that you're not a faggot.

write it in C using ncurses. then edit ncurses and remove the bloat from ncurses

ncurses is garbage. manage the terminal yourself.

i was just trying to give an example of an easier way to make your own text editor. its a better way then zile

this. The only types of terminal which are used nowadays are 1. vt100 compatible (linux, xterm etc.) and dumb (anything which isn't vt100 compatible).
For vt100 compatible standard escape sequences will always work. For dumb terminal, ed-style line editing is all you'll get.

true as well. zile takes the interesting parts out of writing an editor.

Yeah that confuses me too. Maybe there's something I'm not seeing? I hope that gnu.org page isn't inaccurate, as I'd really be interested in that vi clone editor.

I actually have been checking out ed. It's not bad I guess. Here's a resource that explains how to use it.
sanctum.geek.nz/arabesque/actually-using-ed/

vi is technically based on ex, which is similar to ed but kinda "upgraded".

wait is ncurses bloat now?? how?

im not larping as an anime girl. im a boy, silly!

Terminal management is only tangentially related to text editing. It's an user interface issue. It should have nothing to do with the "data structures and algorithms" the author of Zile keeps talking about, which probably refer to some segmented array type.

Have you actually used ncurses? It's a pain in the ass. It's an exceedingly old library and it shows.

its old but it works. does everything you need it to do.

Using terminal control codes does the same thing and is simpler.

simpler? do you even know why people use ncurses?

curses (especially ncurses) is a huge bunch of bloat. I can write a functional replacement for ncurses in one or two days. But rewriting curses to its original specification is much more difficult because it includes lots of useless and unnecessary features and "optimizations".

sure :^)

sure :^)

Mate, do you even know how terminals work? It's pretty simple.

ncurses doesnt only just give you the ability to move the cursor around on the screen and write stuff. It is optimize to reduce the latency experienced from normal methods.
sure you could write all your code using terminal codes but ncurses goes beyond that. it not only works on every terminal it does all the heavy lifting for buffering the screen so it limits "screen tearing" that normal method that normal methods come across.

ncurses simply uses alternate buffer modes built into terminal emulators, and there's still plenty of tearing in my experience; ncurses makes absolutely no difference in that regard.

I took a look at the repo on Savannah. There is indeed a Lua branch, but it hasn't been committed to in years. I'd say it's dead and Zile is still just a baby Emacs.

Since no one bothered actually responding: the only data structure I know of is a rope:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rope_(data_structure)

If the other anons could be less gay for a moment they could name-drop some more structures and algorithms. I'm not asking for a complete lesson, just point me in the right direction.

Thanks for actually providing signal instead of noise. I sorta remembered that text editors broke down the text into smaller chunks, I just didn't quite remember the name of the thing. I was thinking of this linked arrays structure when I asked the question:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unrolled_linked_list

But the rope seems to be tree-like. Apparently, nodes also aggregate the lengths of their children; it sounds like an useful feature but it's not clear to my why exactly. Manipulation algorithms aren't clear to me, either.

Attached: ClipboardImage.png (430x381 93.34 KB, 20.19K)

Another structure that seems to be relevant:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gap_buffer