Matrix Chat Protocol

Matrix is an open standard for inter-operable, decentralized, real-time communication over IP. It can be used to power Instant Messaging, VoIP/WebRTC signalling, Internet of Things communication - or anywhere you need a standard HTTP API for publishing and subscribing to data whilst tracking the conversation history.

Matrix defines the standard, and provides open source reference implementations of Matrix-compatible Servers, Clients, Client SDKs and Application Services to help you create new communication solutions or extend the capabilities and reach of existing ones.

Matrix is a FreeSource federated chat protocol with features similar to Discord, introduced in 2014.

Federated means that you can host your own homeservers and join chatrooms/channels hosted on other servers . This is similar to sending emails from Gmail to Yahoo or placing phonecalls from Verizon to Softbank.

You can encrypt your messages with a key that's only ever stored on your device, so you don't even necessary need to trust the chat servers.
This feature is currently in Beta.

You can post images, videos, upload files and you don't need to run a client or relay server to remain online. Chat logs are served automatically should the room owner choose to enable them.

Servers can also enable an IRC-bridge feature which allows you to join IRC networks, like Rizon, using the server as a persistent relay.
Separate from this, there is also support for mirroring your existing IRC channels into a Matrix Room in order. This creates a chat room that can be accessed from either IRC or Matrix with all the messages posted from either available to everyone.

Matrix is for Straight People.
You also get better security, ability to have a nigger-hating room without being banned, and ability to run a client of your choice on any platform, and the ability to choose your own server.

A list of popular clients are available at matrix.org/docs/projects/try-matrix-now.html

You can also try the service as a guest through the Riot webapp.

Unofficially at riot.im/app/#/room/#Zig Forums:matrix.org.
An official room could allow integration with #Zig [email protected] such that you can chat on any service. This requires permission from the admin of the IRC channel.

Attached: Z4QE8kHL_400x400.jpg (400x400, 7.58K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/matrix-org/synapse
matrix.org/blog/2016/11/21/matrixs-olm-end-to-end-encryption-security-assessment-released-and-implemented-cross-platform-on-riot-at-last/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diffie–Hellman_key_exchange
matrix.org/docs/guides/faq.html#i-installed-riot-via-f-droid-why-is-it-draining-my-battery
github.com/vector-im/riot-android/issues/2196
swift.im/
totallysafe.website/#/room/#general:banter.city
matrix.org/docs/projects/client/redpill.html
riot.im/app/#/group/ Zig
matrix.org/docs/projects/client/circle.html
matrix.org/docs/projects/try-matrix-now.html
escargot.log1p.xyz/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

sounds gay. why not just use xmpp?

Matrix is a complete chat platform that you can use today.

XMPP is a spec on which non-compatible chat syustems can be created upon.
Jabber/XMPP is the most popular chatting system built on XMPP but that's closer to SMS or iMessage than Matrix.

Attached: matrix-main-chat-window.png (2408x1694, 607.64K)

So it's a free replacement for Discord?

While Matrix as a protocol looks fine, Riot is pretty dubious about collecting your personal information. From their terms of service:

But it gets worse:

Riot is basically Discord masquerading as a free and open source chat provider. They don't take your privacy seriously at all.

Riot is a client, not a service.
Matrix.org is a Matrix protocol server.

What's the point

Makes no difference if there’s no alternative.

Same as Signal and that shit’s being shilled everywhere.

So how long until there's a client that actually produces anything even remotely close to what goyscord does?

Yes.

Well learn to self-host, and NEVER use the web client. Also see

Get in, Zig Forums. We are ready.
#alttech:matrix.ordoevangelistarum.com
#fashwave:matrix.ordoevangelistarum.com
#thebog:matrix.ordoevangelistarum.com

You can host your own homeserver or join one that somebody else made.
github.com/matrix-org/synapse

Not to mention that they cannot read encrypted messages because the key is only ever on your own device and never gets transmitted to the remote server.

Riddle me this. If I encrypt something with a key that never leaves my device, how am I supposed to communicate with anybody?
Or are you supposed to exchange keys via some other channel beforehand.

Each client has a key and that clients generates other 'slave' keys that are shared with other participants.

The keys you gather, on say your phone, are shared P2P with your client on your desktop.

More Info:
matrix.org/blog/2016/11/21/matrixs-olm-end-to-end-encryption-security-assessment-released-and-implemented-cross-platform-on-riot-at-last/

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diffie–Hellman_key_exchange

Who would want that garbage in the first place?

What feature that it offers is garbage?

It's popular so it must be shit

What is this hosemotherfucking shit? Do they aim to absolute normie morons or what?
What the fuck is their botnet electron client that eats 600 mb ram on start?
What the fuck is their cuck federation with centralized identity management and inability to host locked-down server?
Why the fuck do I host a 5000-people prosody server on an anemic raspberry, while their piece of crap server written in hipster language idles at 700 mb and segfaults at 15 users on an average 10-dollar vps?
Go shill your gay cianigger shovelware for normies to cuckchan or whatever cesspool you came from here, any sane human being uses XMPP with OTR over Tor without useless hipster shit for gaymers.
sage in all yields

Adapt or die. The Discord structure is made for Zig Forums Ops in mind.

Why dickscord is needed when you already have pol board? Oh, let me guess, phoneposters and datacaps.
What's the difference between matrix and irc/xmpp muc for non-stop shitposting? Let me guess, phoneposters and their low mental abilities.
Why do these people keep inventing the wheel over and over again? Let me guess, jews hungry for user's data and shiny sheckes.

Absolutely meaningless. Seriously, get fucked. You shithead federation shills flood this fucking place advertising Matrix but proffering Riot, then suddenly becoming blatantly ignorant when anyone points out all the issues with Riot, retreating to
Fuck you. It's the only client worth a shit and that's why it's the only one anyone talks about and the only one that matters. Nobody wants to set up their own fucking server, which is why federation falls flat on its ass as a defense against malicious operators regardless of whatever trite you trot out here when someone explains to you for the nth time that you're basically shilling the email protocol and telling everyone to use the neat client you made, Gmail.
There is centralized (c2s), and there is distributed (p2p). All merely-decentralized federated networks that pick up real attention, and are used by normies, inevitably collapse into EEE and abuse and then centralization. Every time.
I enjoy federated cyberautist corndog-eating rp playgrounds as much as the next faggot, you're just a disingenuous piece of shit for pushing federation as the future of """secure""" and """free""" communication.

Attached: terry is angry.jpg (802x854, 193.42K)

That's like saying IRC is shit because you were retarded and used a shitty electron client instead of irssi or weechat.

You can select a message server and identity server independently. Its right there in the login window on every client.
If you want to disable federation, there's even a setting specially to make this effortless so that it doesn't even need to be done manually with ports.

?
I guess an RPI wouldn't be able to handle VOIP for 5000 people.
Not sure what you mean by hipster language, the server is written in Python as a reference. Easily portable to C.

Go be black somewhere else, sperg.

Attached: 1524372367692.jpg (220x229, 13.88K)

White people can use Matrix no problem. What's your problem, monkey?

Attached: sBJG8sT_d.jpg (640x236, 12.44K)

Illiterate rage isn't very aryan, user.

VOIP in matrix is client-to-client, like Jitsi. Your argument is invalid and does not justify the inadequate server software resource usage.

Do you even know how e2e encryption works?

Zig Forums is legit more techs illiterate than 4/g/ by a noticeable margin.

I think it has something to do with the increased melanin and NEET ratios whereas NormieChan has employed people that at least work with technology so as to know what they're talking about.

It's because floens made Clover support 8ch

No, it probably has to do with the fact that it's flooded with 80iq pol niggers who have no fucking idea what they're talking about.

4chan has better everything simply because it has more people. Same goes with Reddit believe it or not.

It doesn't matter if there's 100 retards or 2000 of them because your mind will treat it as a pool of shit either way. But there's a big difference between 1 smart guy and 20 of them, they contribute something meaningful so they stand out from the mass.

Last time I was on /g/ half the board was threads about black people in the tech industry and why racists are horrible.

Riot for Android doesn't give notifications if you're not in the app. I set up a Matrix server last night for my girlfriend and I, but wew lad, can't fucking get notifications. Really blows.

If you install the F-Droid version, it connects to the server every 60 seconds in order to get notifications. The downside is that this drains the battery.

If you install it from the Google Botnet Store, then it uses Google's Push Notification servers to send notifications to you. It's easier on the battery but it means that Google knows when you receive a message.

matrix.org/docs/guides/faq.html#i-installed-riot-via-f-droid-why-is-it-draining-my-battery

I had to manually give the application permission to bypass battery optimization in Lineage so that they'd work. That solution isn't documented anywhere but the Issue Tracker on Github.

you have to go back

what the fuck happened to this once great site

Ban Windows user-agents strings.

github.com/vector-im/riot-android/issues/2196

It's a bug that should be fixed in the next release, a change to improve battery broke this.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Attached: Screenshot from 2018-05-05 21-18-35.png (779x623, 111.29K)

thanks floens

If Riot supports Google push botnet, does that mean, every Matrix server sends notifications to Google's servers anyway?

I think that if the server supports it, it could just send a generic "update your shit" message to the app on your phone.
This way, the app only wakes up to check for new messages if your phone receives a ping from Jewgle.

>>>/reddit/

I've never seen a high IQ person bring up the topic of IQ.

I'll try it as soon as it has a good client. So far it has like 10 different Qt ones and they're all terrible.

I want something like swift.
swift.im/
or better.
Even the Tox clients look better than these.

What's wrong with Nheko?

Attached: nheko.png (2564x1626, 621.4K)

Funny enough, that's the best contender so far. I;ll give it a spin. As long as it doesn't turn out abandoned it might be fine.

All of those things you mention are them being honest about what you share when connecting to ANY site on the internet and using their servers. This obviously doesn't apply if you use another host and/or self-host, since then said host would be the one that could/would have such data.

You can opt-out of the analytics too even when using their services.

There are a few nice clients, sadly no one yet has working E2E encryption.

I talked to that black Fractal contributor, he says that they'll be working on the Rust bindings for the encryption component soon.

It's also an objective in the Gnome Summer of Code.

Just make a new account under banter.city as your custom home server, faggots.
It is owned by one of us.

Or just use the webclient at totallysafe.website/#/room/#general:banter.city

Its easier to coordinate when you can talk directly to an user instead of hoping he re-reads a thread looking for posts.

Codemonkey should merge the Zig Forums IRC with the Zig Forums matrix room!

>>>/oven/

That is the thing.

This is false

This is a fundamental impossibility with javascript crypto.

You MUST trust the server to provide you with non backdoored js for your client to safely encrypt messages end to end.

This is why projects like cryptocat get shit on. They're fundamentally broken.

That said, you could theoretically make a matrix client which implements the crypto instead of using it in browser.

What the fuck are you talking about? You just run your client locally (web or not) and the encryption is all done on your device using code you audited.

Top wew, the absolute carnage this post caused. If only op didn't describe the encryption method so badly, but whatever.
It's the same scheme (double ratchet) as what signal/whatsapp/etc use.
It's designed in part by the disgusting creature in pic related.

Attached: Moxie_Marlinspike.jpg (1280x719, 156.38K)

It has nothing to do with OP and everything to do with that poster being a fucking retard and not knowing what public key cryptography is.

aww I guess I can't use it then..

Are there any good terminal clients? I saw that there was a way to make it work through Weechat, but i'm looking for any other possibilities.

Attached: 2745b589477ceb28be05192541044f60674cd547_hq.jpg (490x506, 32.83K)

why exactly do you need any other possibility?
too much of a blazing faggot to figure out how to configure weechat to work with matrix, or something else?

j-just wanted to know my options ok?

the other options aren't as good, in my opinion.
stop being a blazing homosexual and use weechat.

Even though you're gay, use redpill.
matrix.org/docs/projects/client/redpill.html

It will fit in with your other mental illnesses, i3

FYI, you can make rooms for other boards too.

riot.im/app/#/group/ Zig Forums:matrix.org

Attached: 666245.png (960x800, 874.46K)

See
Matrix.org's official server has a CoC, so we should go somewhere else.

Where's that?

As opposed to the Discord EULA?

matrix.ordoevangelistarum.com is hosted by Zig Forums, so no CoC.

The CoC only applies to the git and the matrix-owned rooms, not the whole server.

Which is why it is so damn risky in the first place.

Just don't wander into their gay little rooms.

Just go to another goddamn server.

how does tox compare to matrix?

Matrix has working group voice/video. On every platform.

It's also more geared towards being cable to find friends and form rooms more easily.
Try it out in your browser to see what it's about.

So does tox, I have used it several times.

Yes just use javascript shit great idea

Tox does not do group video.
Tox VOIP on Android doesn't exist either.

Then either install a client or shut up, fag

The audio quality when I tested it was fucking awful. Until there's a client with TS3 like voice rooms it won't be adopted by anyone.

Tox is better for one on one calls, text chat rooms that aren't IRC, and transfering files as TOX is P2P which is like bittorrent so its hard to take it down or hijack the call. Matrix is client-server based so a honeypot server or a server that is taken over could be hijacked much more easily. Use TOX though if you can get the person you are communicating with to install it, it is much more secure. But if you can't then yea, use matrix or tell the person to fuck off with their insecure IOT webshit.

You can host your own Matrix servers, just like IRC, except that channels and users are able to interact with channels and users on other servers.

Non-native English speaker.

Bittorrent is distributed P2P. Tox is e2e P2P (Client-to-Client).

Internet of Things? What?

Using pajeetscript in the browser is inherently insecure due to the myriad of ways it could be used to hijack or hack the call.

That's not what Internet of Things is.
It uses javascript and WebAssembly to display the desktop client in the browser to people who don't want to install the client.

Of course it's going to use Javascript.

Attached: 1cb.gif (342x342, 436.31K)

I have to agree. I would prefer Tox as a truer peer to peer software over federated instances. The latter means anyone including malicious actors, or anyone that can be coerced or bribed enough into being one, may host an instance thus going back to square one with regards to the problem.

It's unfortunate that Tox does not have the notoriety, support, and development as it's competitors.

Except if you use e2e encryption on Matrix then they can't do anything "malicious" to you.

I don't know what you mean though. Do you trust IRC? Do you trust inviting a "bad actor" to TOX?

Picture very related, especially for newcomers to matrix.

Attached: Screenshot-2018-5-13 Matrix How To.png (669x6684, 612.74K)

Personally, circle is superior.

matrix.org/docs/projects/client/circle.html

Attached: aqua.png (1196x1674, 1.03M)

Those clients are just javascript electron apps you retard.

Want to take a stab at how I know you aren't from around here?

Attached: bfdbbfccb71488d686ca217dbde861e41c33f6b80cf30e4f905ff17f249bd6e7.png (600x600, 286.74K)

matrix.org/docs/projects/try-matrix-now.html

There are tons of non electron clients to choose from.

I don't know why you'd bring up IRC because IRC is definitely not Tox. There is no software solution to social engineering, which would be the requirement to being compromised via Tox.

They are all incomplete, the only complete one is Riot because "we want the Discord audience". The only one ever going to be completed within the next 3 years is Nheko and its some strange telegram-like thing.

Many are in a serviceable state, and just need quality of life features added.
Bullshit, unplug, tensor, fractal, and Morpheus are all arguable more developed.

Attached: 3f028e3f70f1a6c729759b40f2bc02437055a8489b25943dc2d07896f5a215a3.png (479x479, 170.98K)

You can use Tox with Tor or proxy.

You know that every time you torrent anything every peer can see your IP and what you are torrenting? You know that every time you use Matrix you are leaking your IP to the server? You know that you are leaking your IP to Zig Forums right now?

That "quality of life" stuff is basic polish, and I might remind you of the 80/20 rule. They've got a pretty solid protocol, but all of the implementations are low-quality freetard trash.

I got you fam: escargot.log1p.xyz/

Yeah no.

Bullshit, tox groups are strictly invite only.

How do I add other servers?
I read the thingy about bridges and stuf, but I don't get it
Im trying to add innsbruck.tripsit.me

then try this

You can either go to Room Directory and type the server address to see their public rooms or edit your config.json file and add them permanently (if using a desktop client). Android/iOS is cucked.

Attached: gina.gif (320x271, 2.91M)