MX LINUX -- any good?

It's been an week on Ubuntu Mate 18.04 LTS and it has its quirks and annoyances. Before installing it, I played with MX Linux 17. It's super fast and I like the iPhone connectivity out of the box.
Have you got experience with MX Linux?

mxlinux.org/
distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=mx

Attached: ClipboardImage.png (600x600, 92.87K)

Other urls found in this thread:

mxlinux.org/wiki/system/systemd
mxlinux.org/wiki/system/repos-mx-17
bunsenlabs.org/
mirrors.slackware.com/slackware/slackware64-current/extra/pure-alsa-system/README
hooktube.com/watch?v=2mC_Wc9cyio
devuan.org/os/documentation/dev1fanboy/migrate-to-ascii
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I like how they have a community repository which I can use to upgrade outdated packages on my Devuan stable install. They also seem to be anti-systemD which is a plus.

Attached: Jerome.jpg (307x227, 11.03K)

MX is really nice. Debian stable but with newer packages, custom tools, and no systemd. Also, one of the dev team members (runwiththedolphin or dolphinoracle) makes jewtube videos explaining some different things for MX as well as its big brother of sorts, AntiX, which is notable for also being anti-pulseaudio and allowing you to base it on whatever version of debian you want.

OP here. I removed the ssd with Ubuntu MATE and installed MX on a spare hdd I had. I'll play with it for a week. The only drawback at the moment is a lack of full disk encryption in the installer. There is only an option to encrypt /home

Why wouldn't you just install it in a virtual machine?

I'm a poor-fag with a slow laptop X201.

The forums are super helpful from my experience. You might mention it there. It really is something they should probably put in the installer and they're pretty good about responding to feedback.

sounds gay and bloated

He might also mention that they don't even let (some? all?) Tor users even view their homepage.

>Sorry, your IP address redacted has been blacklisted by http:BL.

So, no full disk encryption option in the installer, even though Debian and Ubuntu both have it, and they don't even let Tor users view their homepage to download their distro.

Totally not a CIAnigger distro...

Why wouldn't you just use Devuan? It's much more well-established.

I've checked the forums and it is one of the most requested features.

I'm not sure if tor is the issue. They advertise it in their suggested packages (pic related)

Attached: ClipboardImage.png (944x559, 53.29K)

Same goes to Void Linux with the lead developer M.I.A.

I use Devuan myself only problem is the prehistoric packages in stable. Debian stable is already ancient and Devuan is always a release behind.

Why don't use LMDE already?

Not everybody want an unstable bleeding edge mess of an OS user. Debian stable is god tier and is the reference distro, period.

Because I'm not a newfag?

Can you actually provide an argument against LMDE? Maybe is bloated but you can uninstall what you don't want.

Worse security than Debian and Ubuntu, no easier to use than either, there's literally no point.

I'm not , and I do agree that breaking egg is retarded, but there IS a point when packages get too old, and Debian stable suffers from this, you'll find many programs, in comparison to testing, are not available in stable. Even backports are often nonexistent or outdated, sometimes impossible to make without breaking your system.

The good thing is that Gentoo doesn't suffer from this, install Gentoo

I didn't even have to check for CoC... This seems like a nice distribution.

Attached: Screenshot at 2018-05-05 13-16-38.png (1194x352, 155.42K)

GTFO Shill

No thanks.

Attached: mxlinux.png (1907x1018, 390.42K)

Nigger, what? Gentoo has been a distro since before google even existed. Did the capital G in the name trigger some kind of autistic knee-jerk in your mind or something?

Attached: 1405101302496.png (461x333, 165.9K)

He was probably thinking about how gentoo has a few jewgle users since botnet, the OS chromeOS that is, is based off of gentoo. Which means some jewgle employees *might* have installed gentoo. Or more likely they contract an autist out to compile their chromeOS builds.

OP here. I don't get it. What's wrong with Drupal?

Nigger, what?
Slackware has been a distro since before google even existed. Install Slackware.

Nothing at all. I was trying to convey that if they can't take the 15 minutes to make the site look great, there is probably something they overlooked in the operating system. I was trying to draw a corollary between their actions and actions of lazy people.
Tbh, I would have preferred the site to just be plain HTML, maybe a touch of CSS, because a web framework like Drupal seems like a little much for a static site(their forum is phpBB).
But really, I was complaining just to complain.

Ok, well Devuan is still an entire release behind Debian. It's nearly impossible to build packages from source when every dependency is an old version from 2012. Devuan needs to catch up to Debian.

I am running 17
I had upgraded from 14
I had some issues with setting up 17 as well as some personal visuals/ personal touches, but that's in the past
Should I upgrade to 18?

Attached: terry davis.jpg (571x143 70.03 KB, 23.49K)

oh, and by the way

Attached: trained-apes-03.jpg (401x271, 23.4K)

Why not just use xubuntu?

xubuntu has systemd

Fuck it
I'm doing MX

OP here.
How do you like it? I really enjoy it and keep forgetting that it's not installed on the SSD, but on some old hdd.

It's actually gay and lightweight

Attached: Capture _2018-05-02-16-45-17.png (401x396, 213.16K)

The CIA finally got him. He should have stayed with SystemD like a true patriot!

Gentoo GNU+Linux is independent, source-based distribution of the GNU OS. It's not owned by Google.

Is Artix better than Devuan? Is it CIA honeypot? Does it has more up-to-date packages?

not even in the regular repositories on other linux distributions
I went to the webpage, downloaded it and extracted the zip file.
Runs.
No Problem
(Pic 1 Related)

Wut?
I thought it wasn't pozzed...

I like it - only thing - and its aesthetic - I haven't been able to get both of my screens to share the same desktop background. Not really that important. (Also, pic 1 related)
-----ah yes - Almost forgot
See second pic-----only errors - only occurs during startup/restarting
The third pic is the screenshot of the system assets

Attached: mx17.png (3839x1079 1.15 MB, 1.71M)

and now my cat is pissing me off

Not bad. I get about 450MB on idle, and 1.5-2GB with everything I use turned on.

You stupid nigger install gentoo. I have about all the features your desktop does and I get 200MB idle
and I get about 462MB with a modern webbrowser with several tabs open, a music player, and a terminal, and a task manager proccess open in the background. Either that's alot of fucking bloat for you, or you are running some inane shit en mass in the background.

What shit OS are you using to get 656MB of ram usage on idle from a terminal?

HA!

Gentoo doesn't magically make everything leaner and better. t. gentoofag

No it doesn't. But it does mean that if a gentoo user has a bloated and slow system, it's absolutely, entirely his own fault and he should go drown in pajeet shit.

No nigger hands on these stock images? A bold move in these times.

based MX

KEK

Damn OP, I'm trying this out right now and it's just amazing. Snappy and fast, configurable and very neat on the eye. A whole lot better than Ubuntu 18.04 and much more snappy than my current elementaryOS. Also no window animations and no system sounds by default. Seems like a real keeper.

Is it poetteringware-free by default, though?
mxlinux.org/wiki/system/systemd
I could only find info on systemd. Says it has it but it's disabled and sysvinit runs in place. Someone try uninstalling it and see if it will remove a gorillion other packages.

It also seems to be running its own repositories I assume based on debian's repositories, with the option to run debian's maybe? I'm not very familiar with APT.
mxlinux.org/wiki/system/repos-mx-17
How fresh are the packages? I don't usually expect to run the latest GIT of everything compiled on GCC 12.0.0FE76AF.broken.please.do.not.use, but I expect the managers to be reasonable and always have the latest release of a video game and wine, but stick with LTS kernel versions and libraries.

Anyway a debian-based distro with ubuntu's ease of use and none of the faggotry is one of my dream distros, the other is gentoo but not shit. This seems promising.

For all you gentoofags, I tried Gentoo but couldn't get the internet to work on a VM. Any of you run Gentoo in a VM? It's not a huge issue because I am using Devuan and it's fucking fantastic, but it would be nice to get all the memory I can back for my bloated host distro. I plan to move eventually.

Is slackware systemd based? I can't find any information about it one way or the other on their website and it's got me spooked.

Slackware does not have systemd however 14.2 does have pulseaudio.

BUNSENLABS
bunsenlabs 9.4
bunsenlabs.org/

sudo aptitude install sysvinit-core systemd-shim systemd-sysv-

Internet not working in a VM is usually the VM's fault. Either that or you haven't compiled the kernel with the proper drivers. If you're using genkernel then it's definitely the VM's fault.

PulseAudio will be optional in Slackware 15.0. See mirrors.slackware.com/slackware/slackware64-current/extra/pure-alsa-system/README

who is lani?

So if I remove systemdicks it's completely poetteringware-free?
hooktube.com/watch?v=2mC_Wc9cyio

latest bunsenlabs is debian 9 so just do this:
devuan.org/os/documentation/dev1fanboy/migrate-to-ascii

Attached: systemd.jpg (550x550, 49.53K)

I can barely get down to 200MB with lxqt. What are you using that gets this low?

not running a complete desktop, bunsenlabs is just a tweaked openbox install and you can go even lower than that - 74MB on boot is not unusual with just xorg + wm

Attached: slimmer.jpeg (474x474, 21.88K)

It's not me it's the distro.
So it's just a ready to use openbox on top of xorg.

I'll take a look.
Might finally stop distro-hopping.

I compiled myself and everything worked but the internet, so I guess it's me. I tried genkernel and it failed so I gave up but I mean to try again when I have the wherewithal to do so. KVM/QEMU by the way.

I get about ~160MB memory usage with devuan, LXDE and all the fixings for an FTP server. I only go to about 300 MB if I include lxde-desktop.

I am trying to stay strictly using QT applications for several reasons. One is wayland compatibility should someone come out with a more secure desktop. The second is GTK3/4 are potteringware and/or owned and maintained by redhat, which is the CIA. Although, as far as I am aware, GTK3 is a fine toolkit to use, it's bloat to me though as only like two applications on my system use it. I don't need a whole toolkit just to display archives/ZIPs on a GUI. Someone needs to write a QT archive GUI. The third is I can compile out any application that tries to use cancer like webassembly or strict XORG symbol deps, just don't build the QT module for it.

So using lxqt is a logical step in the direction of getting away from Xorg and not having both GTK2/GTK3 on my system. With GTK2 being depreciated and not supporting wayland, and GTK3 being potteringware. Granted QT is also built on the basis of the C language, so it inherently is insecure. But atleast I only have to trust the QT devs for stability instead of the application writers atleast most of the time.

Interesting. I'm the other way round - I have only GTK installed, because I use chromium, audacity, and gimp; and literally everything else I just use the command line for (such as archiving and file management).

Bunsen is a neat enough concept, but wasn't really that great when I tried it. Besides, it comes with Poetteringware. MX is systemdick-free. There's also AntiX, which is 1. systemdick free, 2. pulseaudio free, 3. allows usb persistence, and 4. allows you to base it on whatever version of debian you want when installing it to the hard disk. It's also built to be very light, and comes with a few wm's.

I'm a brainlet fuck who's been trying to settle in with a linux distro for awhile now. I'd always run into something that would infuriate me and turn me back to winblows and just continue doing shit in a xubuntu VM instead when I needed. I've been playing around with this for a few hours though and it's the most responsive, fast, and brain dead simple to use OS I've ever tried. Maybe I'll run into an issue eventually but so far as a winblows babby introductions OS this thing is brilliant compared to the alternatives.

user, we can't read your mind.

Is this not a thread about MX Linux?

I'm a brainlet.

Attached: 04c730a653e16e7d13df393c54869e3ef550ee64f056b256c5950252dee449ba.jpg (1017x579, 329.66K)

So I just booted into a bunsenlabs livecd.
LiveCD uses 288MBs ram on boot for me, firefox upped it to 700MB.
I have screen tearing, setup is an integrated intel gpu connected to a monitor through HDMI.
Uses pulseaudio and systemd, systemd seems easy to remove if you swap the debian base to devuan but I haven't tried.
I seriously hope the livecd uses more memory than the proper install because I don't see how they expect this to run on 256MBs of RAM.

Attached: Screenshot_2018-05-14_21-22-51.png (1920x1080, 725.12K)

This is why AntiX is the best light debian derivative. actually low RAM and no systemd or pulseaudio.

I'll try out AntiX next.
Just need to reboot to windows.
It seems promising.

OP here. I'm glad you like it. My SSD is still in a drawer, MX is so fast that I'm not sure if I need it at all tbh.

Is this anudda solus? is OP anudda kevin?

Just booted into AntiX.
Ram usage is 180~MB, firefox makes it jump to nearly 700MB.
The text is pretty ugly and the kerning is hit or miss.
It uses sysvinit for init and alsa for audio.
I have screen tearing still.
I have no audio, and I don't know how I could fix it just by messing around.
I hear electrical buzzing on my headphones, it's not like this on windows, gentoo or bunsenlabs. No idea how software could do this.
All of the dark themes are butt ugly, bunsenlabs had multiple good looking ones.
It picked IceWM for me but I see I can choose a bunch of other WMs, I'll see if any of them is better in a sec.
Not gonna talk about what's installed by default because it's dumb and you can just install what you want. I know that basically invalidates distro comparisons because you can just install a commandline version of anything and build on top of that but the default programs that people will actually use like vlc, libreoffice or whatever don't matter because installing them is simple, easy and something the user is expected to do.
The default file manager is terrible, it really is.

So far I've been inclined towards bunsenlabs because although it's bloated (not as much as distros with proper DEs though) at least everything is satisfying by default and there are a bunch of well thought out helper scripts.

and here's a screenshot, still messing around

Attached: 2018-05-14-194637_1920x1080_scrot.png (1920x1080, 463.18K)

Yeah all the other WMs on antix are the same style of WM, their main real difference is available themes.
Overall it seems like antix isn't quite the poetteringware-free distro we've all been hoping for, it has some nice ideas like how they officially support the liquorix kernel and you can just install it from official repos if you want but that's not all we need. The UI is pretty bad, I don't have working audio and up until now I thought only nvidia users had tearing trouble on linux these days.
I would try MX Linux but the idea that xfce is light is old fame, I'll try fixing the issues I had with bunsenlabs and maybe make it my daily driver.

Test

Of course the Live CD would use more RAM, I mean HDD isn't used, is it?

LiveCDs run the OS from RAM with nothing on the hard drive or SSD, so they use more RAM than they would when installed. But, if you only have 256MB of RAM, you probably won't be getting Firefox to run either way. No distro will magically make a modern web browser need less RAM, even with an extremely lightweight distro I doubt you could get Firefox or any Chromium derivative to run at all on something with 512MB or less.

This post proves you otherwise

No. I'm just positively impressed with MX.

Nice chutzpah

If anybody still cares I ended up going for MIYO linux, so it's essentially some guy's devuan flavour that comes with openbox.

And yeah no poetteringware on this one.

Tried MX on LiveCD. Suspiciously couldn't disable microphone because the re were no obvious sound settings. The leader developer is also a literal commie, it's probably sending all your frog pics to the kikes.

One can, in fact, mute the microphone in this panel, if that is your goal.
But, this is installed...

Attached: ClipboardImage.png (1917x1079, 334K)

Yeah, it's systemd free, but not pulseaudio free. Might be an easy enough way to get rid of it. I don't find pulseaudio THAT bad, but it's certainly not optimal. I can live with it, considering MX has pretty much everything else I could ask for: debian stable with newer packages and no systemd.

source?

He probably means the antiX lead dev. It's pretty obvious, his name is anticapitalista. MX is headed by someone else though. Besides, i don't care about someone's politics if their product is good. If I did, I would hate Stallman. He voted Green in 2016 after all.

I've had some hurdles here and there getting it setup to my liking, especially with some of my virtual machines. Had to resort to using VMWare which is what I was used to from windows, but now I can do just about everything and have the same or perhaps even a better workflow. I don't know much about linux but I know that things for the most part just werk on this that I couldn't possibly figure out how to get functioning on xubuntu, mullvad for example had to be rolled back to an older version and still didn't work properly. I'd definitely suggest making this the go to just werks distro to point newfags and normalniggers towards. Personally I had nothing but problems over the years with things like mint and xubuntu.

Really solid distro.
Stable, no systemd, nice tools

Best distro to get something that just werks imo. I love that it's just Debian Stable with some newer packages and without systemdicks. Just about everything I could want from a distribution. Also, the tools are nice. Lots of features, helpful, and don't look like some condescending Applel toy. Take their GUI package manager for instance. No big shiny buttons or crap. Just some common names and descriptions, and then on the other tab three different repos to load (the normal repo, their testing repo, and backports) through something that looks similar to synaptic.

Tor IPs get added to blacklists all the time because people use them to spam and shit. This isn't an MX problem, it's just the way it works. Same thing as when VPNs get banned here. As far as full disk encryption, I think I read it had something to do with the way the live persistence works? I'm not sure, but I think it's something they're working on for version 18.