Ergonomics/avoiding RSI

Ergonomics - is it placebo...? The following is what I've tried:
- Trackball mouse
- Vertical mouse
- Blues
- Trackpoint (duh)
- Ergonomic chair
- Switching to DVORAK
Of those, I recommend the last two. I know the studies on DVORAK are inconclusive, but less finger travel is a real boon.

Attached: chair.png (650x688, 77.06K)

The laws of physics aren't placebo fam. Your body is built around a specific posture and stress points

Walk ~10000 steps a day.

Attached: 696px-Puffy_mascot_openbsd.gif (696x599, 78.07K)

Like in the womb or something?

Do yoga like the Pajeets

No.

That's pointless if you keep on using mice more often than you don't.

What's the convenience of dvorak?
Your hands are still on the keyboard and wrists subject to the same strain. Prove me otherwise.

-Kinesis advantage keyboard
-Logitech wireless thumb-moved trackball mouse on my gut as I lean back in my chair

Dvorak was actually less comfortable for me because my wrists didn't move enough to keep blood flowing. They'd start to fall asleep and then cramp. This was before I got a truly ergonomic keyboard, though, so perhaps I should revisit.

The claims about speed/accuracy increase are dubious at best - but it's a fact that your fingers travel less, 70% of keystokes are on the home row.

keystrokes*

Less moving your fingers back and forth. Dvorak keeps most of your keystrokes on the home row - and almost none on the bottom row which is the most straining to reach.

Do you not understand how speed can increase because your fingers do not have to travel so far?

That has been my experience, yes. (I also can type longer without fatigue.) But, I've read about most of the studies having a bias from Dvorak himself - have any modern trials supported his findings?

Typing English.
The entire thing falls apart when you realise a console autist is not typing english.

I don't understand why anyone would care about bias when the logic is perfectly sound. It is an undisputed fact that your fingers travel a shorter distance and also reduces the stress of typing when compared to QWERTY and while typing in English. You can certainly do a modern trial but it's completely unnecessary when the previous facts are hard facts.

Most commands are english words or parts of them. And even when typing in a different language, the relative letter frequencies are usually not that different.

I prefer QWERTY on my desktop and Dvorak on my phone. I did give Dvorak a try for around a month on my desktop, but for reasons like it being annoying to type with one hand I decided to switch back.

You're right. Funny thing is, I recently had an argument like this in an IRC chatroom. He kept telling me that visceral experience means nothing - he thought I was adding two plus two and getting five when I told him about the benefits.

Every time I've checked a programming language outside of like etaoins there's immediately a bunch of symbols _-+*=/>

Well guess what. Dvorak has a bunch of common symbols easily accessible on the top row, instead of being all cramped under the right pinky like in QWERTY. There's also the Programmer's Dvorak variant which keeps the letter positions of normal Dvorak, but rearranges the symbols to optimise for the ones most commonly used in programming languages (instead of natural languages like normal Dvorak).

I think changing your keyboard layout in the sense of rearranging keys, you're better off getting having a keyboard that is tented or putting your wrists up than to change your keyboard layout that just rearranges the alphanumeric keys.

Take msm and glucosamine, recline partially, never rest your arms on your wrists, never use wrist pads.

This.
Make sure you sit high enough that your arms, if you slouch/relax them at the keyboard don't bend down at the wrist.

The top of your wrist should be the highest point of your wrist and hand position.
If the tip of your knuckles are higher up than the top of your wrist, you're doing it wrong.

well, or rather they should be level.

fuck you on about

What are you, a fucking pussy or something?
honestly i dont get how you pansie ass niggas can't even handle sitting without getting hurt.

Nah, fuck that.
Just keep your arms in line with your wrists.
You can rest your arms on your elbows, the thickest part of your forearm, or your palms.
Putting any weight on the front half of your forearm while using your hands will fuck you up.

Now this is a placebo!

I learned to use the Dvorak-left layout for programming. I keep my left hand on the keyboard and my mouse in my right hand.

as someone who has a terrible posture, desk that sucks and suffers from the consequences; the best thing to do is change what you're doing often, don't stay sitting down for hours get up and do something else for a few minutes, also walk for like 2 hours a day not counting indoor stuff.

Dvorak left = programming + mouse
Dvorak right = for opposite handed (left-handed mouse)
Dvorak = speed and typing
Qwerty = word processing, image processing, or web (ctr+z/x/c/v/a/s/q/t/w/e/f)

I've found out that using drawing tablet instead of mouse or trackpad is better though matted trackpad is better than smooth ones.
Kinds of mouse:
Claw grip (smallest)
Palm grip (like apple's)
Ergonomic large (usually with page up/down and nice area for thumb and fits on large hand)
Ergonomic large (delux patent. like the above but looks like joystick)
Ergonomic medium (smaller than large but I fucking hate it)

Dvorak + trackpoint beats that hands down
Leave that mouse for gayming.

pleb

Best thing you can do is to GET UP AND MOVE every now and then. Seriously do some push ups or body squats to get that blood flowing, even if its only 20-30 or so every hour. It doesn't matter how "comfy" or "ergonomic" your shit is if you remain in one place without moving for hours.

Attached: bodysquats.png (540x360, 44.11K)

Mouse is a far superior tracking device.

Why dvorak in particular? Have you tried other layouts.