I'm so sick of people culturally appropriating us

I'm so sick of people culturally appropriating us

Attached: C dress.jpg (900x1200, 198.97K)

yes

I'm pretty sure it's /g/-influx.

What's your point? UNIX weenies are saying they invented dresses now?

Subject: Once Again, Weenix Unies Reinvent HistoryYesterday Rob Pike from Bell Labs gave a talk on the latestand greatest successor to unix, called Plan 9. Basically hedescribed ITS's mechanism for using file channels to controlresources as if it were the greatest new idea since thewheel.There may have been more; I took off after he credited Unixwith the invention of the hierarchial file system!

Section 30.02 of _Unix Power Tools_ by O'Reilly & Associates says ... /ispell/, originally written by Pace Willison ...but hey, I was there when Pace ported the ITS SPELL programto C. Sure I am grateful to have a few reminders (^Z isanother one) of bygone glories around, but let's give creditwhere credit is due! Legend tells of a Chinese Emperor whoordered books burned so all knowledge would be credited tohis reign. I guess the subsequent generation of scholarswere a lot like the Weenix Unies of today.

Name a language with better performance.

What fucking supercomputer-tier task are you trying to perform that you need to squeeze every last drop of performance out of your computer to achieve in 10 less nanoseconds than what it does now?

Well, first of all I must point out your non-argument. There’s no such case where less performance is better.
And second, a 3D game engine would be a good example. Go rewrite it in some “white” language like Common Lisp (or whatevet this new anti-UNIX meme proposes) and we’ll look at that “ten nanoseconds difference”.

Kill yourself, subhuman.

10 nanoseconds here, 10 nanos there, another dozen over there... and eventually you end up with a very slow piece of shit.

Attached: poorly_used_resources.jpg (500x618, 91.3K)

What is fucking Minecraft you dark-skinned simian-mouthed bixnooding smartphone hoarder?

No, go fuck yourself.

Not an argument.

And I wonder why they’re rewriting it in C++ now. Maybe because it performed slower than you?

Just because you’re too dumb to use C the right way doesn’t mean everyone is.

Are you seriously implying that Java is a better language while calling someone “dark-skinned”?

Attached: what-the-fuck.png (900x729, 128.77K)

Attached: enough.jpg (500x1000, 231.37K)

So it took them almost 10 years to rewrite it in C++, after they've already made millions off it. And the last time I played it, it performed well enough. And not to mention the many games made in Unity, GameMaker, etc., which still perform pretty well despite running on some thick layers of abstraction.

No, I'm implying that there are times and places to worry about such things. For time-critical software like embedded, I can understand. But for most other applications, I'm more concerned about maintainability and speeding up coding. I want my software to do the right thing, be easy to support and be readily available. I'm willing to sacrifice some performance where it's not so critical, and as time goes on, things lose their criticality due to better hardware.

By the way, I also hate Java. I'd still use C++ to write a game, but I do like some of the conveniences other languages have to offer that makes coding more pleasant.

Wow, it's fucking nothing! Wake me up when they start making real games again.

Attached: lurking_horror_01.png (320x256, 6.11K)

Minecraft was just some random dude's project to learn OpenGL. The whole codebase is a mess because he had no idea on what he wanted it to be. He just kept hacking in features over and over again.
While the rewrite is more sane, there are still bugs and crashes with it. Additionally the developers are kind of annoying to work with.

How is C not maintainable or fast for coding?
How does C not address any of what you just said?

no fuck you. that's hard real time, which 99% of embedded is not. almost everyone in embedded are retards who either have no idea about how to program or read a bit of crap on the internet and are now pretend elitists because they read the C is for real man, but have no idea why they're using it for their projects.
GameMaker and Unity are bullshit, but at least Unity seems to get some acceptable performance in at least some cases, while providing good enough graphics for normalfags. You definitely don't need C/C++ for making a game, but the current examples (GameMaker, Unity, and Minecraft) are all trash. I'm using C for the game I'm working on because: A) I don't trust any of this new technology or other PLs, they will do some retarded bullshit that fucks up performance. B) I want best performance possible to support markets outside of ricers in USA, and most of the is just placeholders to be replaced with assembly. C) I don't need security because any system capable of running a game isn't secure in the first place

FORTRAN.

it's a trap

Attached: 51C9gxN3d2L._SX326_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg (328x499, 33.7K)

Electronic engineers and engineers in general are the biggest pajeets I have ever met in my life. If you ever see a program where the developer defines a lot of variables and writes code like:
if(a==2) {foo(a);}
if(a==2) {boo(a);}
if(a==2) {bar(a);}
you know you have an engineers code on your hands.

if you want to feel good about yourself, go into some micro controller code and optimize it for them.

The biggest bottleneck in games is the GPU, and that shit is going to be slow in every language. Fuck, people have managed to write "entire" games in Java (an RTS no less, for example, which are supposed to be very CPU-intensive), Lua, Python, fucking JavaScript... our machines are very, very powerful, and only ~/g/~ Zig Forums seems to masturbate over using 0.5% of their machine's potential.

That said, there is a point to avoid using some languages, namely those with nondeterministic garbage collection, unless you know exactly what you are doing. There is also a point in avoiding general use engines, mostly because they run on so many layers of abstraction and are so badly engineered they will never do the thing what you want, case in point, Unity with its stuttery asynchronous map loading function.

assembly

And what language do you think that GPU is programmed in? Brainfuck?

Technically it's not C either but whatever. Are you planning on running the whole engine in a compute shader, tho?

Surely the compiler optimizes that?

lol no

In many cases, the compiler can't know that the value of 'a' didn't change while in a function due to aliasing and it won't optimize structures like that.

Are you this much of a newfag you don't remember the Skyrim benchmarks fiasco circa 2012? The only way they had to give Intel a clear advantage over AMD was using sub-Doom graphics settings on a game that was optimized like shit and seemingly compiled and designed so only Intel CPU would run it well. As soon as you amped up the resolution to 1920x1080 it ran well in both, and the differences were much less noticeable. And Skyrim isn't even a GPU-intensive game.

You may have a point for badly optimized RTS with thousands of units abusing some shitty spinoff Djikstra's algorithm and running it over every single unit that wants to move the same way like the retard you are, or if you insist on running fluid simulations or fully destructible environments without a compute shaders, but most games can be run in the lamest scripting language you can imagine, as long as your architecture is sound.

So Skyrim had loading screens because there was too much graphix and you know this because a benchmark was rigged. right.
Thousands of units RTS can be easily written just like don't use Djikstra.
Oh and you can write programs in any language as long as the "architecture" is sound.

Is that architecture a cardboard box by any chance?

It's even worse in C++, where possibility of exceptions fuck up the optimizer even more than that. If you have to use C++, remember to disable exception support if you don't use them!

I'm not sure what the fuck are you even trying to say, but you will find out most games are GPU bound if you compare the differences in permrformance between a machine with a good CPU and one with a lesser CPU.
Yes, that's my point, you retard.
Then what the fuck is your point?

Minecraft is being rewritten to c++. And yes it already runs better than the java version

My point is you're a LARPing idiot.

lol no. every C fag and his dad do this shit where they claim C is the only "fast language"

And my point is that you have provided absolutely nothing of value to the conversation and no arguments so chances are you have no fucking idea what you are talkigg about.

fucking hell. Zig Forums is as unusable as 4/g/ nowadays

Its about them taking all the symbolism with to understanding or appreciation of the history and complexity that the symbols represent. Would SJW running around with shirts that say "C', "PHP", while having no idea how to program not trigger you at all?

congrats faggot you win