Studying and learning

Do any of you guys have any technology-related resources for studying and learning? I mean like taking notes from lectures and text files. Learning with technology thread I guess.

Attached: AReadingFromHomer.jpg (2455x1307, 171.17K)

Other urls found in this thread:

gen.lib.rus.ec/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

For starters, anki and duolingo are good to me. Spaced repetition is effective for learning.
libgen.io, standard ebooks and the project gutenberg page are good for finding books.

Speaking of books, if you're on Windows then SumatraPDF is an excellent very lightweight all-in-one reader which supports probably all the digital book formats you'd need (pdf/djvu/epub/mobi/chm/cbr/cbz and possibly a few more obscure ones).

How do you learn math these days? Notebook, whiteboard, tex document? Is just book + notebook (or whiteboard) sufficient (and calculator maybe, though most textbook exercises have "neat" solutions where there's not too much tedious arithmetic involved and it's good to keep doing all of it without a calculator as an exercise of its own), or do you have a computer running all the time with some math software (geogebra, matematica, maple, or something else) to analyze things and mess around as you progress through a book and/or through exercises? Is it better to keep minimal to avoid going of on too many tangents (no pun intended)?

I practice math old school. With a textbook, pencil and paper, doing the exercises. And mostly working through a book front to back.
And watching lectures if applicable.

What said, I find it best to have some scrap paper and a pencil to follow along while reading. I also like to have a sheet of paper where I write a summary from time to time because my memory is shit. I build up a bunch of cheat sheets this way while working through a topic and I can refer back to my cheat sheets.

Isn't using software to explore some concepts further of great benefit though? For instance decades ago you couldn't just make a graph of a function, you had to painstakingly do it yourself on paper (or use a computer or graphing calculator which weren't available to everyone and were clunky and not very accurate anyway). Nowadays you can just use a free program like Geogebra and have a nifty graph displayed in seconds - not only that, but you can intuitively learn a lot of things about functions by messing around very easily.
Another great thing we have today is basically anyone being able to use Latex to create math document with all the actual typesetting. To become proficient with it you need to make some documents though - redoing exactly every exercise in Latex would probably be overkill though, some rules of thumb for when to input some stuff in a Latex document would be handy.
As for whiteboard, having a small one and some dry-erase markers is very handy too - many people can experiment more freely on a board than in a notebook where generally everything that was written down uses up paper and stays there. On the other hand, precisely because of the above, things done on a board are much more ephemeral as anything that wasn't preserved (whether on paper or digitally) is gone. Maybe some anons have some rules of thumb too when to do something on a board, what (if) of it to copy into a notebook, and when to work with paper/digital document all the way.
Generally board is easiest to work with (you can doodle whatever you want without worrying about wasting space) but ephemeral, while Latex documents are most "professional", but much more tedious to work with (at least unless you know Latex like the back of your hand and type very fast including digits and symbols etc.).

It's called an iPad.

I meant software lore than hardware. Youre an apple shill thoughz arent you?

i suck at phoneposting

Gno surprise, given that phoneposters suck in general

Attached: techniclick.png (1919x2560, 873K)

Writing with a pen or pencil is unironically better than anything you will do on the computer. You're literally storing artifacts of the things you learned and wrote down into muscle memory.

I know there's shit like Brilliant where it has interactive parts but it's a paid service. I don't know how effective they are though.

Never speak to me or my family again.

I hate how every jewtuber suddenly started shilling the service. Sure as hell made me aware of it. At the same time that makes me want to not use it.

Spaced repetition and incremental reading in SuperMemo, or SR only in Anki if you're a freetard.
Using speech recognition software (Dragon NaturallySpeaking, or fuck knows if you're a freetard) to dictate stuff you're learning into your personal information management software (orgmode, Zim Wiki, or Evernote). Expressing things orally is as good for memory as writing it down, and speech recognition leaves you with searchable, easily edited text instead of piles of shitty hand-written paper.

Anyone knows a free program which helps learn/practice operating a piano keyboard and read music notation? For example an interactive program which supports a keyboard MIDI controller and gives you exercises such as displaying some musical score snippets and letting you play on the keyboard what you see etc. Optimally it would contain a course with lessons going through music theory and giving you exercises to put it in practice, drills to practice scales and so on. Does such a program exist?

I agree, but how to best digitize it for easy search and retrieval?

Best Korea math

read the shit then memorize it

Worst kind of approach tbh. A colleague back in highschool asked me once what integrals were all about (derivatives were on our curriculum but integrals weren't, I learned about the latter on my own however). I replied that integration is basically the opposite of derivation (i.e. you search for a function which the function you have is the derivative of). He was confused and clueless from that reply, which may very well have stemmed from the fact that he memorized computing derivatives as a collection of mechanical procedures while not seeing the big picture, which would prevent him from making much sense of my reply.

Such programs are jalmus and lenmus (the latter doesn't support midi input though I think), but the're somewhat buggy and discontinued. Ufortunately such programs seem to be commercial products if they are actually good, polished and feature-rich.

my sides

what about them

Why this thread stalled? Nobody here learning anything?

Bumping with Library Genesis gen.lib.rus.ec/

Personally, I'm looking at hand digitizing everything into a stripped down wiki installation.

okay so memorize the big picture then

I am learning filesystem stuff: how to use ZFS, LVM+mdadm+whatever, Btrfs, reading the Redhat Stratis whitepaper, etc

It's good.

Attached: cherrytree-main_window_text[1].png (888x608, 162.77K)

Computer tools can definitely help, however, you should understand HOW to graph a function manually, since that's a check on whether you understand the material. This sort of thing is usually covered early on in your study of calculus. I suggest you do it until doing so further would become tedious and get in the way of learning new things.

When I work through math books, I usually work out the problem with a pen and paper, and then I typeset them on a computer. This is useful so that I have something legible to go back and read if I need to, and I also have a terrible habit of picking up a random notebook and selecting the first nonblank page I find.

As for the problems, do as many as possible, and try to think why the author included each particular question, what was it trying to teach? If the author follows good pedagogy, often solutions to subsequent problems stem from concepts unlocked in prior ones. If you must skip a problem, make sure you at least read through it, and work out how you'd approach it. If you fail to solve a later problem, that's probably a good sign that you need to revisit an earlier one.

It took me a long time to realize it, but the problems in a math book are the most important part. Since I learned most math by self-studying, while I dutifully read every theorem and went through each of the author's proofs, I initially I skipped all the questions, dismissing them as busy work for students in courses. Terrible idea, because I didn't even realize what I didn't understand! For some reason we are able to learn, and recall concepts much better after we have worked through them ourselves. Reading a math book like a novel is a good way to forget all the content!

Oh another thing. If you get stuck solving a problem, learn to enjoy that feeling! Eventually you'll figure it out, so resist the temptation to search for a solution on the internet as soon as you get stuck. Torture yourself for a few days, at least before you cheat.

As the old adage goes, there is no royal road to mathematics. A lot of these services out there are gimmicks, especially anything aiming to make it easy. That appeals to lazy hipsters and niggers who want immediate gratification results without putting in any hard work.

those sites that give you points or whatever are for niggers. literally. even in actual video games now, niggers just play them to get a higher level or unlock new skins instead of actually playing the game

Thats nit really the point of the concept though. There are better ways for learning than just staring at abblank page for hours on end.

Do you typeset (LaTeX I assume) all of the steps, or just the essential things like the problem's statement, assumptions, variable/unknown domains etc. and then the solution? Do you typeset every problem right after solving it on paper, or do you spend some time doing things on paper and later typeset on the computer whatever you deem worthy of typesetting?

just remember, your time as a student/NEET will only last so long before you start wage-cucking.
I fantasize about programming while I work, and don't have time management skills to use my small free time effectively.

Have you tried learning the hard way?
Necessity is the mother of invention.

Attached: Folder.jpg (800x794, 131.16K)

Mostly the latter, and what I write is usually a very terse solution capturing the key ideas. I don't bother writing out the question again. It's not sloppy, but just slightly below the quality of answer I'd submit if it were a homework assignment.

thx m8.

Cancer.

That gun's a GP100 and is very clearly unloaded.

Shit pic 0/10 would not be able to kill yourself like that

I've used this in the past but it quickly became a disorganized mess.

I think Zim Wiki is better but it's been a while since I tried Cherrytree.

traversy media is dope for introduction to front end frameworks & other things (like golang)

This is a board for white people only user.

I don't get it as a white guy :V