What software does the world need?

What software should we have at [current year] but for some reason don't? Why aren't you working on making them a reality?

- Attractive FOSS frontend for Matrix, so we can say final goodbye to Discord.
- Programs that can properly replace Photoshop and other adobe software. As a piece of software Gimp and Krita and Inkscape and the likes are just completely inferior in every way other than some minor advantages.
- Some kind of online documents/spreadsheets that can replace google docs. Ideally combined with git mechanics and syntax highlighting if you add code. Even better if it can double as a wiki-like website.
- Imageboard software that's fast, has all the hip features you could ask for, fully functions without js, and isn't made with PHP or other pajeet tools.
- Non-shit frontend for NNTPchan.
- A web browser that isn't dependent on firefox or chrome, respects your privacy, and doesn't send any information anywhere without you knowing. Ideally it should have privacy tools like uMatrix out of the box.
- Something like wordpress that allows you to make easily editable websites for people, except it's less shit and includes common features out of the box so you don't have to download 50 plugins for simple things.

I've been prototyping some programs with the hope of competing with adobe's shit in some distant future, but too early to show yet.

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/mozilla/DeepSpeech
youtube.com/watch?v=xVxNgE1chl4
rocket.chat
otter-browser.org
simon.kde.org/
netsafe.org.nz/rescam
spa.mnesty.com/
news.ycombinator.com/item?id=16036121
micahflee.com/2017/04/breaking-the-security-model-of-subgraph-os/
github.com/torhve/weechat-matrix-protocol-script
pipecut.org/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

A program that allows you to look into the network traffic of specific programs. As in, "this program sent this at this time". But not too complicated like Wireshark is.

This will be easier with a custom imageboard XML protocol. Get rid of HTTP and browsers entirely.

Brainlets like you don't need to know what sort of traffic programs are generating - you wouldn't understand it anyhow

Care to explain how Wireshark does what I posted, smartass?

I never even said hi to it. There are thousands of ways to communicate without botnet over the internet and you want to create another one? Why?
Did you read the manuals? I see a lot of great artwork created using those programs. Stop listening to 12 year olds on youtube making photoshop tutorials.
No. Stop pushing shit to the web. Last thing we need is more shitty web apps.
We are posting here without any major problems. No need to make another imageboard software and stop working of it after a week, because you got bored.
It's not the browser that is the source of your problems. It's the web itself. It's impossible for even a small group of people to replace firefox or chrome. Those projects have 12000+ years of development time behind them.
Just write html or use -> html converter.

As far as I recall, there is something called "Process Attribution" in Wireshark that describes what you said. Anyway, if you have the pid, you could get the transmitting TCP ports from netstat. Which you then could use in Wireshark to filter packets.

All your friends and family did, and they really want you to join.

I see someone make great artwork in fucking MS paint and program in notepad, that doesn't make them good programs that can compete with industry standard tools in professional work. I use Photoshop in my job and I cannot see myself ever using Gimp nor Krita in it's place because they're just not as effective. Inkscape is like eating cactus for breakfast in comparison to Illustrator and Indesign.

Google docs are used a lot and has a similar usefulness as a wiki page. Nobody wants to download every random file and wait 7 minutes for libreoffice to boot up to view it.

Stopped reading.

I actually used to have something like this on Windows, and it came with everything like limiting bandwidth usage of a particular process, except I only used it to the free trial and replaced it with something more specific to what I wanted done.

nethogs

Dating software. I don't mean shitty apps that flood sluts inboxes with messages but software that pairs people up mechnically. If you're going to build a profile on me at least use it for my benefit. Point me to girls who lean my way politically or share the foods I like or just my hobbies.

If your database was even slightly worth a damn it would be a miracle piece of software. But then I suppose the state of search engines these days it would try and match me with a tattoo covered dyke who hates computers.

You have probably been using photoshop for so long that your brain got hardwired to work in certain way. Gimp and Krita can be just as effective you just have to learn how to use them.
Indesign is publishing software, inkscape is not. Use scribus instead.
Because waiting 10 minutes for browser to boot up is much better. Libreoffice uses less ram than firefox/chrome.
What improvement?

TempleBIOS CFW for the Intel management engine to keep ring -3 safe from niggers.

I have no interest in any of those projects, OP.

If you have ever used discord you gotta go

oh so matrix is just some shit like discord but not proprietary? will avoid then
[pajeet.jpg]
pajeet my son, you have two choices:
a) create something that actually solves a problem, like HTML
b) create something that sort of wants to be like software but can't really make up it's mind, and be left with a bunch of insecure shit that crashes every minute

Good speech recognition for both dictation and issuing voice commands. Better for everyone but essential for the quadrispazzed.
Everything else is good enough and progressing.

This. We desperately need to trash the entire concept of the "general purpose web browser". Fuck it. Fuck the whole god damn thing. Imageboards should be completely standalone desktop software from top to bottom.

github.com/mozilla/DeepSpeech

There are a few projects out there but they're all way off being good enough to use. Dragon is the only option for speech recognition.

You might as well resurrect smalltalk and lisp machines and build the system in a higher level language.

That has nothing to do with lisp machines. Infact it's ideologically very close to Unix. Have software that does one thing and does it well.

howbout get rid of webshit and all of its ilk, so no XML or JSON either

Spamfilters that instead of immediately dropping e-mails, actively reply to spammers using NLP techniques. This will (when adopted) lower the effectiveness of the spam (in profits) as more man-power is required to filter out the AI responses, making the whole spam-buisiness less lucrative. Maybe niggers and pajeets will finally stop dedicating resources to the spam-effforts so that the ISP will finally unblock the required ports to run e-mail servers from home without using an SMTP proxy.

it's pretty simple
-software that works and doesn't crash or resource leak every 5 minutes
-software that doesn't have 10000 vulnerabilities that need to be patched every week
-software that doesn't need to be patched to make the GUI worse every week
-software that doesn't need to be patched every day
no, that's not even software

More Libre and Free hardware that respects your freedom. The EOMA68 is about the only one I know.

Anonymous communication and file distribution software. The problem is theoretical, instead of practical, so software does not exist. The dining cryptographer's problem would solve the problem to some extent, but it does not scale well, nor is it resistant to denial of service attacks. It always annoys me when youtube ecelebs talk about decentralization without ever mentioning how dangerous P2P communication is for political discussion if there is no proper anonymity.

t. clueless normie
I bet you also thing that goynauseam makes you "more private" by downloading all the ads it can reach.
Your post looks like a description of a software I've seen already

∆
∆ ∆

>>>/cuckchan/

umm ok heres some

- A secure general-purpose microkernel OS that is usable for modern desktop and/or server.
So far nothing really meets that, although i'm optimistic about Genode and the inevitable freedom-respecting fork of Fuchsia.

- A browser that is lightweight, able to view all webpages, and not botnet.
but as others here pointed out, web standards and stuff make this one impossible >_<

and for my third one i'm gonna be a bit nonspecific.
- Something that empowers and reintroduces decentralization to the net.
idc what, but it needs to happen! The world wide web was supposed to be decentralized, but nowadays with so many people on twitter, facebook, etc, more of online interactions are pushed to a few sites, and of course they're all botnet. We need something to bring the web back to how it was many years ago.

Attached: 559.jpg (475x451, 84.69K)

I don't want to run your shitty RCE-ridden imageboard client. Better to leave stuff as is.

The real problem with browsers is that the web was built to render documents, and everything else was an afterthought. The gave us an inch and we took a mile, and now we decided it was a good idea to build webapps and the likes, even though they are an abomination. What we really need is an execution environment similar to web browsers, but actually thought from the ground up to be used for easy to install applications, then leave browsers for what they are and not support dumb shit like WebUSB, which while useful shouldn't fucking belong on a web browser.

Are you fucking retarded? That is the whole point. The machines reply to spam (instead of blocking them) to keep the niggers busy. As a result, they have to add more man-power to filter out the AI-powered replies which makes the spam-business less lucrative.

Stuff is complete shit right now. Do you want to live in shit, surrounded by normies, SJW and cianiggers?
Anyway if you stuck to the "old" Internet model, Usenet provided the equivalent of chans and forums. So just make an anonymous NNTP thing and you're good. There's already nntpchan but it's far from perfect, since their primary interface is in fact the web! That's backwards...
Kinda related: Terry talks about low-bandwitdh RS-232 network separate from Internet. youtube.com/watch?v=xVxNgE1chl4

Attached: atlantis.ans.png (640x336, 3.71K)

USENET IS STILL ALIVE
a functioning USENET to html page, that would be useful
NNTPChan does not function, not on TBB with JS disabled

How do you deliver a letter to someone's mailbox anonymously?

You can't, you're trying to solve an impossible problem. Your best bet is to send it through a middle man like a post office (centralized server) or some friends (TOR).

Usenet isn't anonymous though. Among other things, the headers show the poster's IP address, organization, and client name/version. All of which is stuff that can be used to track someone.
You can already browse and post to Usenet via google's web interface, but it pretty much sucks ass (besides just being google). If you just want a graphical client, there's already plenty of those. Even Netscape used to have one built-in. But at least you weren't stuck with GUI or webshit, and could use simple terminal clients like Tin, Pine, Slrn, and so on.
Some months ago I posted without JS to nntpchan via 2hu-ch.org, did they change it?

Use custom router firmware with a MITM program that intercepts all encrypted traffic and log all that traffic with port used and time then transfer that to a web server on your PC where your OS is also logging times of applications used and ports assigned. It's up to you decode (not decrypt since the MITM handles that) the traffic though.

Then you can examine the logs and see what traffic they sent at what time. I did a uni project about something like this. Windows 10 is CONSTANTLY transferring data.

That's called an operating system.

To be fair, I'm surprised nobody is selling sandboxed, virtual machine, "web browser" software that promises users they can use the internet and install programs without ever getting a threatening virus

Do you know about I2P? It solves more or less this very problem. But don't expect lightning speeds though.

Yeah my point was to not have to do all that.

ChromeOS

The world needs a virtual investigator stringboard, so you can have a topic of investigation to open and it shows a web of linked pictures, audio, articles and as you enter into each node on the web it opens more linked things.

Ideally, and in theory, that would be the case. In practice, operating systems are insecure pieces of shit that give installed programs a license to kill once executed, only made worse by hardware vulns like rowhammer where absolutely no paranoid-tier setups can save you

There is a reason modern web browsers are like shitty OS used to run webapps: they are simply more comfortable, and more secure than installing unknown programs willy nilly (chances are your curated official distro repos don't package everything you need, specially if we go around making programs for every silly idea you have). With regular programs, you have to download, install and configure the program in every computer you want to use, sometimes in places where installing something requires approval from the administrators; with webapps, you just type in the URL in a web browser you likely already have installed (and if you don't, chances are you should not use that machine for whatever you wanted to do), and you are ready to go. Web browsers are also supposedly more comfortable for developers since they provide an abstraction layer over whatever OS or architecture the program is running on, and also provide several commonly used constructs with really simple API so they don't have to reimplement everything and the kitchen sink.

So unless you manage to single handedly revolutionise the OS landscape, people are still going to rely on the cojcept of webapps. Webapps are shit because browsers are simultaneously trying to be document viewers and VM runtimes, and nowadays are better at the second one. Notice how most web frameworks are there to avoid dealing directly with HTML and CSS? That's because they are shit, or at least for anything that's not a document, which is also why vertically aligning something with CSS is done via hacks, because documents were not supposed not to have vertical boundaries.

tl;dr browsers are shit because they are trying to shift their focus without ditching backwards compatibility, Android is the closest thing we have to an "operating system of the future", which is a shame because Android is shit, and is right: an easy to use, sandboxed execution platform would be really nice. It's what Electron is trying to be, but failing horribly by having both the worst of local programs and webapps at once.

There is a H2020 project submitted that does something like that. Basically the intend is that every application lives inside its own 'micro-kernel'.

No. Matrix is just marketing. A perfect example of "let's do something but don't look at what others have already done" attitude.

Besides the datamining parts, Discord uses a libre software: rocket.chat
This has been mentioned multiple times on Zig Forums, I don't understand why you keep asking for an alternative.

More accurately: software developers who actually know what professionals need.

Several alternatives already exist. Gobby for simple text.

Not possible. One of the reason people use their services is authentication. If you forget your password, just reset it.
But if you lose, damage or compromise your private key(s), you have to contact hundreds of people know, and verify again.

otter-browser.org

No. Secure connections should be handled in a way that no other software can look in the traffic.

Microsoft Network Monitor and successors, Wireshark also have some process id based filter (only on Windows)
Unix systems have networking that can't differentiate between programs. This is the reason iptables suck.

Support Simon simon.kde.org/

sell me on it. I'm currently using chromium, aside from the presumed lack of botnet what technical advantages does it have?

Good UI. But no addons available, though planned.

Found it, last November.
netsafe.org.nz/rescam
Second link appeared on hackerjews 4 months ago:
spa.mnesty.com/
news.ycombinator.com/item?id=16036121

Eh you got em, reddit!

Do you have any clue how spam works? If they had to manually reply all bullshit dumb normies send them back, they'd already lose all manpower. Point is, automated spam is no-reply. it's either "click this link" or html embeds with malware, nigerian letters with actual monkey on other end are too rare these days, and probably are automated with chat bot engines too, fin. There is no sense in battling it with some AI or whatever your media-poisoned mind comes up with, only if you want to scam dumb gen-x managers yourself by making a said startup that fights spam with blockchain-enhanced neural networks only for $999/month.

>Discord uses a libre software: rocket.chat
Proof? I think you are lying.

Attached: 59ee3143eada8a554a1f44567146dc8cb9db89faba05b63aa4d15ad66e35440f.gif (540x349, 1.33M)

Qubes with Whonix guests.

If the anonymity protocol allows you to broadcast messages to everyone, you could simply broadcast the ciphertext of the message you want to send. The message would be encrypted with the receiving node's public encryption key, and therefore no other node would be able to read the message's contents. However, like I said, DC networks do not scale well, so such a trivial solution is not practical, but it is a proof of concept nevertheless.

I2P may or may not be good, but I don't think it is proven to be secure. Riffle would be a better example of a project that is trying to solve the kind of problem I had in mind, but according to the paper, while it can handle 100k users for microblogging, for file sharing it's limited to 200 users.

There is of course the hope that one day one of these I2P-style projects will be found good enough for most cases in practical scenarios even if proofs of anonymity do not exist. The next problem would be to actually implement well-designed programs on top of the network. Considering the current nature of open source culture, I'm not too optimistic about that happening any time soon. Developing trustworthy security tools requires a work style far more rigorous than 99% of hobbyists are willing to commit to, not that proprietary pajeets are any better. That is of course true regarding quality software development in general, which is why we get garbage like systemd.

Ask Discord whether they use it or not.
You can also ask the question which was first: the egg or the omelette?

Well they talk about how they built there own backend to handle all the messages they have to pass around so I doubt they use it.

I'm curious - how do you expect the model to deal with skewed gender ratio? Suppose it determines that a certain type of woman X is compatible with a certain type of man Y. But it just so happens that there are 34 users of type X and 145 users of type Y. How do you resolve this? Lottery? Tournament?

If you want to match on interests, this is what you get. You can sometimes specifically sort out dykes and tattoos, like on OkCupid, in which case you get mentally defective, delusional, fat single moms.

We need uMatrix systemwide.

I'd subscribe to your patreon for this shit

firejail+iptables

lol all these memers who use the latest fad browser addons (noscript, adblock, blockad, matrixwhatever, umatrix, etc) don't understand that they're just bloat.

netstat -anp

Any mandatory access control system. More bloated but supposedly secure way is Qubes. There's also SubgraphOS, but it's duck-taped GNOME with grsec/AppArmor with is a shitfest of vulnerabilities:
micahflee.com/2017/04/breaking-the-security-model-of-subgraph-os/

Outpost Security Suite did have all of this. Call Yandex and ask for the source-code.

who woulda thunk

underrated post
probably hardly anyone here remembers how even into triforce

I would say a cli client for matrix would be a godsent.

Say, are they botnet too? You think running bare stock FF is better in any way, shape or form?

I'd really want this, maybe I'll make it my next project. I've always like the idea of assembling a database that deals with loads of different information and topics for an investigation and whatnot. There are projects like Cesium and Geowave that take data and can arrange and categorize things geographically, then all you need is a database of people and events to really get the full picture of an investigation.

A bunch of this shit exists and you just don't know because almost everyone whos posts here is just larping.

I feel like making more webshit is really not progress.
Some things I can think of:

Already exists:
github.com/torhve/weechat-matrix-protocol-script
I use it, it's better than riot in every way.

mutt really just needs better documentation. Its so hard to find exactly what you have to do to really get it up and running with your emails

The other annoyance I have with mutt is that it doesn't show you anything about accounts other that the one you're currently viewing, which means you have to manually flip through all of them to see if you have mail.

I'd recommend checking out mu4e. It's pretty simple to setup and easily supports multiple emails. You do have to do some extra configuration if you want to be able to choose an account to send from rather than just having a default one, but you don't have to do anything special for viewing mail from multiple.
I haven't personally tested using gpg with it myself, but it does look like it supports it.

Image editing is simply complex, its already incredible that we have softwares like Gimp/Krita/Inkscape free. If you want to improve them I believe the only way is trowing money in, lots of.
Libreoffice has a online version now. AFIK Nextcloud too.
Lynxchan exists.
This shows that you haven't researched for one minute, static site generators are the new trend and there are dozens of them. There are also old CMSs that are more simple than WP.

>otter-browser.org
This is a worst option than Midori or GNOME Web, which uses Apple's WebKitGTK instead of Blink.

Sorry, I don't listen to retards who think GIMP can compete with Photoshop.

That's right you shouldn't. Gimp has zero desire to compete with Photoshop because they only care about being Gimp.

This is why nobody likes you.

It's actually starcraft

Joke answer: we need Dissembler.

Real answer: incorporate dynamic HTML crap straight into browser standards, so we don't have to rely on a interpreter that has more holes than a sieve. Javascript was one big mistake.

All the web dynamics you need are in CGI.pm, and everything added later is bloat. Bloat is still bloat no matter how you implement it.

Retard.

Attached: stopped-reading-there.jpg (1153x823, 580.38K)

But he's right. If you implement HTML tags for polling and loading as soon it's needed to be seen on the screen, you can avoid tons of javascript. No reasons for javascript is the only way to make it die.
You may call it bloat but it's way better to have control over the bloat than to hand it off to 3rd party code.

When are we finally gonna get a browser with native umatrix? I've been waiting for years. Literally the only think that keeps me on shitfox, and the biggest fail of every alternative browser I've seen.

The board software trims leading spaces so you put in an alternate whitespace char. Wow much skill, so impress! There's decade old articles on it all over the internet if you google.

The best solution would be to design something superior to JS (which probably means even more pajeet friendly), but which is also secretly much easier to block without breaking the page. That way we can cuck the webdevs into adopting it for convenience, and by the time they realize everyone is blocking their analytics and shit it will be too late.

>>>/reddit/

Why is virtualbox such absolute shit compared to vmware?

Qutebrowser isn't FF or Chrome dependent, yet it lacks privacy tools and doesn't support addons/extensions, maybe in the future it will be a viable option.

Not him but

It depends on QtWebengine which depends on chrome.

This is my complaint. They prioritize emulating Vi keybindings over the security and maturity of the browser. Until they have a domain-based content blocker like uMatrix--I'd even settle for a pattern-based content blocker like uBlock Origin--and a blossoming extension ecosystem, I'd settle for FF despite its shortcomings, because they're easy to amend.

Easier to ask what software the world doesn't need because that list is much bigger.
But the world needs a FLOSS alternative to everything.

what are you even saying

A cross-platform GUI toolkit which is easier to use than html/css/javascript/embedded-browser combo.

FOSS SFM
The only reasonable FOSS SFM program is Bundler, which abandoned development around 2009-2010 and never got past generating a point-cloud. Newer packages, like Autodesk's proprietary "123D" go so far as to generate a mesh and texture it.

Distributed ANN run by anons
A distributed bittorrent-like swarm of neural nets where each user trains and maintains their own "cortex" that can take inputs and deliver outputs to and from others.

Node editor for shell commands
Something like the blender node editor, except that each node is a shell command with the inputs/outputs being pipes.

Not quite what you're describing, but this is a thing:
pipecut.org/

MITM is the correct way to do it, I have a som9331 sitting on my desk specifically to do just that.