Home IC Fab

Why aren't you fabricating your own IC's Zig Forums?
This neet sam.zeloof.xyz/first-ic/ did all the research necessary to understand photolithography and set up his own fab in his parents garage. In a 66 step process he produces amplifier chips with an 80% yield. It takes him about 12 Hours per run.
He made a number of videos explaining the process and they seem to be of decent quality considering he claims to have only completed HS and no post-secondary.

In any case its definitely interesting and worth looking into if you want to escape the botnet.

Attached: D7V8343.jpg (4928x3264, 6.92M)

this ever get's doable by a regular goy and not a super autist with 10 grand of equipment in his garage they'll make it illegal

Attached: regulargarage2.jpg (4928x3264 4.26 MB, 6.89M)

Attached: regulargarage3.png (1275x822, 469.54K)

Because I'm lazy and I have other shit to do, like manufacture irrigation parts.

Two weeks ago I assembled and tested the hardware for a 24/7 audio monitoring device to record my neighbor's dog barking.
A week before that, I migrated all my VMs to jails.
In another week, I'll probably install a surveillance camera setup.

How much money did this guy invest to get this going?

Nice excuses even if you basically do nothing useful.

35k isn't even that much these days tbh.

What node does this correspond to? My guess would be about 500 micrometers from what I see.
You aren't going to build any botnet escaping tech with that.
Best chance you have is a processor based on some existing core with all patents expired like J2, or some research core like pulp/ariane.
Cost per processor using an "old" process like 180nm is so low you are talking maybe a dollar a piece. Only issue is minimum order quantity which is likely >10k.
You are not going to have the ability do something similar in you garage for at least the next two decades I think.

Oh yes, let me just go into my bank account and pull out 35k like I do every Sunday.

Apple / Micro$haft 2.0
Good for him.
Using 3D printing to make custom chips like a ZX21 would be a worthy Zig Forums endeavor, then advancing on to create the Admiral64G, and Friend500.

*chips
PCs

WEW

This is only interesting in the scenario that you are an electrical engineer and the apocalypse has been and gone. Otherwise it's merely novelty. Also, it's amusing he has so little interest in his parents' safety. The female inspiration he cites remarked that her bones felt all soft from having merely inhaled a whiff of HF. This is not to be fucked with.

Yeah, this seems like an entirely logical solution. Neat DIY project though, would do it if I was a richfag

Why does a huge chip like that have such a small "core", or whatever its called? The rest of the space is wasted? It's just plastic and contacts? Seems like it should be easier to make big chips, only requiring jew-tier technology to make things nanometers in size.

This is impressive and all, but what I really care about is x86_64 and ARM processors, as well as motherboard components. Is it feasible to fabricate these at home? Would be nice to get some open hardware versions of these components. With a home fab, you could offer a custom chip key version: the user could buy a chip with his own public key burned in, so it'd still be secure but the user would control the key. You'd be able to use the official microcode by signing it yourself, sign a free software microcode or supply your own.

The IC size is standard you dunce, otherwise it wouldn't fit on standard perfboards/breadboards/component shit.

So if I were to decap an intel processor I would find a small IC just like that one inside the big socket-sized packaging? Or something that's an integer multiple of the size of that IC?

Yes, as a matter of fact nearly every single packaged IC is a tiny little pinprick chip in the middle of a giant block of plastic. I've blown up enough of them to know.

They're not all the same dimensions, but they do indeed stay around the same size for the most part. It looks like some newer AMD and Intel chips have large dies sizes though.

Attached: serveimage.png (662x601 55.41 KB, 49.77K)

I wonder why. Can't they make custom boards to interface with each chip socket? Sounds like it'd be a lot easier to make circuits if you had more space to work with. Either the machines wouldn't need to be so precise, or you'd be able to fit more stuff (like caches?) in the chip. Just my reasoning, it's not like I'm an expert.

AMD and Intel, as well as most modern IC companies do make their own chip sockets since they have enough money to do so. It's mostly older chips and peripheral components using standardized DIP and surface mount packages.

As for why they don't make bigger dies to make it easier, I think high performance components are sensitive to latency as well as chips getting more complex making it efficient use of space essential, even with smaller processes. That, and you get more chips out of a wafer and thus save material costs with a smaller die.

Also the heat generation is already basically insane. We're talking thermal density higher than the fucking sun.

It's pretty amazing that a dinky aluminum heatsink manages to sufficiently cool most modern processors. Still doesn't keep mobile devices from being portable heaters though.

The Xeon Scalable, Threadripper, and Epyc CPUs use multiple dies.

Don't forget the Pentium D, Core 2 Quad, Pentium Pro, Pentium 2, and some mobile chips I probably forgot about.

To add to the other anons, bigger dies increase the chances for impurities and thus decrease the yield rate.

Do you?
You can home-craft a $3000 oscilloscope using what? Aluminum foil and toiler paper?

Of course everybody can do x86_64 processors at home. All it takes is a $7 billion fabrication plant and $5 million a day to hire the engineers and technicians to produce them. It's actually very easy that anybody can do it.

Did you really need to remind me?
;_;

A lot of cost and equipment goes into this.
But that doesn't mean it's bad.

It's only bad if you're a total isolationist and live in a shitty community.

Back then you had a whole village and only a few specialized craftsmen, but that was fine since the village needed and wanted you.

Cost scale is different of course but if I had a local IC maker then I would support that guy.

to clarify: which is pretty much the standard situation of anyone nowadays, thanks to ((( world changes )))

Forget advanced electronics you can't even find a local baker anymore.

Why are you recording your neighbor's dog?

Other than to play it back at them at 200+ decibels.

To shame the city and county, and punish my nigger-tier neighbors for neglecting their animals.
They give no more than two hours of attention to their dogs per month, never walk them, and never play with them.
Assuming they're enforced, the noise laws where I live would saddle them with a $300 fine every time their several dogs go nuts.

These fucks bark at the wind, rain, people moving in their yards 500+ feet away, birds, when they're bored, etc.
webm encoding prepped me for this.

What kind of shithole do you live in that you don't have a local Baker?

What about it?

America. All of the grocery stores, even the fancy expensive hipster ones, truck their bread in from some factory. The hipster stores just truck it in from the hipster factory.

So what kiddo? It's a fucking dog. Who cares about what a fucking animal feels? What's next, animal rights? 1st class citizens of society? Are the pets gonna inherit whatever little money you have?

Just go ahead and admit its barking pisses you off and stop making faggot ass excuses for it. Maybe then you'll grow some balls and fucking murder the thing.

You first Chaim.

At least the pizza place still makes their own dough in my area.

Scalable dyes are just a meme and they have been used by intel and AMD for ages, except now it became a marketing point.

It's like how nvidia was trying to play off the uneven memory pool in the 3.5GB scandal as an advantage of the maxwell architecture allowing them to shut off part of the memory interface without disallowing access to the memory attached to it and that it wasn't possible before, except they had done it before on different gpus and the reason for the scandal was a driver dud misreading memory and their kikeish way of doing it with the last 512MB being slower than DDR3.

I doubt it. Stuffing sausages in the same local dough gets tedious after some time, user.

Nah, they actually do make their own dough at Mazzio's, my brother actually brought home a big bag of leftover dough after work one day.

Irrigation's pretty important

Attached: The-Waterboy.jpg (1280x640, 68.79K)

Attached: Stop being poor.jpg (567x567, 41.71K)