Https://etcher.io/

> find the official™ tutorial: tutorials.ubuntu.com/tutorial/tutorial-create-a-usb-stick-on-macos
> etcher.io/
> github.com/resin-io/etcher/releases
Guess what technology does it use? It's Electron™.
Why it even had to be created if there were existing alternatives which did not use Electron™?
Will it be possible to use a system-provided Electron™ for deduplicating so that at least it's not burdening the download size and disk footprint of every shitapp written with it?
Or is it the end of desktop computing as we know it?

Where did the file go? I am 100% sure I attached it.
Mods please fix the opening post.

Attached: Etcher.png (512x512, 91.86K)

It's a shit application for shitters, there is a bifurcation where shit people have pretty programs made in a day with bloated libs and people who bother to learn the beauty of simple tools you "command".

Major linux distros are now normalfag tier, we both know to use dd, if you want someone to learn in a non shit way point them to OpenBSD and tell them to run "man afterboot"

Silly PC poorfag, us OSX users won't touch your cruddy, old and ugly "commando lines"; we have superior hardware which allows us to utilize sleek, modern apps built with the newest and most advanced technologies.
Get a job, maybe you can afford a new MacBook Pro that doesn't choke on modern Web Apps, unlike your dinky little chinkpad

Feel free to write your own. :^)

bad idea, also wastes rest of space on USB. Most importantly, it requires an iso prepared as isohybrid with a valid boot image for your respective platform (PC-BIOS, EFI x64, etc.). Most current ISOs are, but not all.
Unetbootin or whatever should work fine. Also don't be a faggot and don't fall for the GPT USB drive meme. UEFI spec dictates implementations must boot MBR disks just fine Only Shitdows refuses to boot from MBR disks in UEFI.

umm... I have a macbook pro and I use the command line all the time! OwO

Attached: ClipboardImage.png (512x152, 11.1K)

Attached: a.gif (350x232, 460.83K)

he was just really bad at trolling the Internet.

what to use for GUI then? Qt?
should be cross-platform and free, too.

This makes you 9000 times more disgusting

which part? my cuteposting, having a mac, or using ed?

when will chrome become an electron app?

I use it for Windows when I have to. Since Windows is already bloated and insecure, I don't see why not to run apps that are too.

Why not just copy the iso directly to the disk? Unless it's not a live disk which 99.99% are what is the point of a middleman program?

It already is. It's literally based on the same chromium base as all electron apps

Don't use that over-engineered malformed piece of bloat. Just use cp.

Reported

but will it boot?

DD is not over-engineered, it's things that it was engineered for are extinct. So don't fucking bullshit at tool that's been there for 45 years

What's the problem? Yes, Electron is shit, but this is the kind of program you start once in a blue moon, use it for its one purpose and then quit it again. Performance is irrelevant, and if it helps someone unfamiliar with the terminal to make an Ubuntu boot stick that's a plus. Someone who uses etcher probably would not have been able to get a bootable USB drive any other way.

Will cp make the USB stick bootable? No, it won't.

Rufus is still the king of USB boot disk creation.
Too bad it's shitdoes-only software.

It will be a good day when someone ports it.

Attached: rufus-128.png (128x128, 11.45K)

It will. Try it.
dd is a generic data redirector. It's not a tool for making USB sticks bootable. If you can do it with dd, you can do it with cp.
(I'm sure there are images that are flaky enough to require extra work, but they won't work with dd either)

Mate, i could write a dd clone in an hour
Its the perfect tool for a number of different use cases. That's not overengineering, that's good engineering

It is handy for some things, and that post wasn't entirely serious.
But it feels silly to use a tool that can convert to EBCDIC to perform a task that could be accomplished by cat < image.iso > /dev/sdX, and its interface is weirdly non-Unixy.

Tell that to the legion of mouth-breathers using Atom.

Attached: atom.jpeg (1920x1080, 239.14K)

You seem to know about these things. How did they manage to make VSCode an electron application and yet a match in performance to sublime text?

it's not.

How did they make with such a performance difference to atom and every other electron-based editor though?

I'm sticking to emacs and dd instead of these nu-programs.

Yeah I know, emacs is lame, but it's a thing if you're a developer.

I use VS Code and sadly even though Atom feels slower, ST still feels quite a bit faster than VS Code.

literally who cares
Just install syslinux and run isohybrid you fucking faggot. This is literally a non-issue.
Literally shoot yourself

no. dd or dd for windows.
don't fuck with that non-portable shit.

Write it in c or rust faygit.

<

I have a thinkpad T500 and i wanna turn it into a hackintosh on one of my hard drives so i can see what a ""Proffessionaly Developed"" FreeBSD ripoff looks A N D F E E L S Like.
グハ委ベ へ ド ケィ

It's pronounced Itscher

VSCode is a faster electron-based IDE than Atom, but I wouldn't say it matches Sublime. The only reason VSCode isn't a slow memory hogging wreck like Atom is that VSCode is developed by Microsoft, and it utilizes it's own in-house text editor that Microsoft developed.

No shit. Go sperg somewhere else.

ms text editor

breaks my code. have to rite a program to port it to ms format. I'ts a pain in the ass and aught to be illegal.

For a proprietary OS it's pretty comfy uwu. I mean I'd probably not use it if I had a choice, as it's likely very botnet, but still if you have to use a nonfree OS, i'd take this over Windows any day of the week.

Just be sure to get Homebrew so you can have a package manager.

Attached: ClipboardImage.png (224x170, 6.35K)

Attached: 2018-05-25-211950_270x170_scrot.png (270x170, 6.61K)

l-lewd!

what about Easy2boot?

The iso itself needs to be hybrid, you retard.
If there's no valid MBR or GPT inside the boot image in the iso, your computer won't boot from the iso. For example Ubuntu versions prior to 12.10 won't work with dd. So don't just go assuming dd will always work.

As explained earlier, dd is a bad idea because there are some isos which won't work with it.
I personally don't use any USB creator software. I just copy the isos to a folder, then write entries in grub.cfg to mount an iso in a loopback device and provide paths to the kernel and initrd in the iso

And it still takes a shitload of disk space even when it's not used, and it needs a lot of traffic to be downloaded.

didn't happen

it's cross platform, nothing specific to mac

what if your computer doesn't have GRUB?

dd doesn't work for everything.

Like what?
I'm genuinely curious.

The administrators of these computers are on their own.

just because you need to RTFM and specify the block size or other doesn't mean you need a botnet to do it for you.

Windows shit. XP and NT don't work outside of bullshit hackery.

Truly >>>/g/

Windows makes me money.

dd is the standard tool. However, this might be good for people that cannot use the CLI.

It literally takes a few seconds to copy and paste shit from a tutorial into the terminal. You're dense.

Attached: anime.jpg (952x510, 93.63K)