StumbleUpon, an artifact of the Internet of the 2000's decade, is shutting down in a few months

>Sixteen years ago, we started StumbleUpon to help people discover new webpages. The idea was simple: click a button to find a cool webpage. It was easy and fun. Over the years SU has delivered personalized content to over 40 million users, serving up nearly 60 billion stumbles. StumbleUpon pioneered content discovery on the web, before the concepts of the “like button”, “news feed” or “social media” were mainstream.

medium.com/@gc/su-is-moving-to-mix-c2c3bff037a5
archive.li/d4h8V

Attached: stumbleupon[1].jpg (1600x640 57.92 KB, 19.39K)

Other urls found in this thread:

web.archive.org/web/20060615214626/http://www.swarmthe.com:80/
youtube.com/watch?v=xXVDi15kZvA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Looks like Web 2.0 normie garbage.
They pioneered in data-collecting and information theft to provide "better" results to their users (aka useds)?
Seems like nothing of value was lost.

Attached: 143f6f954a00cf65a2750b8b3cc41c1d2b8c8950ec99ecfc2c6492f21550ace1.jpg (800x450, 55.91K)

they where really good once
i remember spending many nights reading awesome articles and webpages i never would have found with search engines

For a few months I actually used this garbage, it was a strange voyeuristic botnet web.archive.org/web/20060615214626/http://www.swarmthe.com:80/

Huh, I remember that site. Back when Firefox v3.0 was the bee's knees.

I found all kinds of interesting websites through it once upon a time. Stopped using when they wanted me to create a datamining ID account.

how is this even remotely bad?

You will never experience the halcyon days of visiting random pages in a "web ring" again. You will never explore GeoCities. Facebook and Twitter are the future you chose.

Reminder that Facebook account is pretty much required if you want any jobs today.

Just give them a good goy linkedin account and remind them about how facebook got hacked and all userdata stolen. If that doesn't shut them up, they're a hopeless cause and you don't want to work for them anyway.

You're being retarded. Plenty of people still get fine jobs with neither Facebook nor Linkedin accounts. Get to know lots of people at university, demonstrate your skills and usefulness, and be kind. If you keep regular contact with acquaintances and build trust, you'll eventually be asked to apply for job openings with people on the inside as your references. A job will be thrust on you eventually.

These bromides are pointless.

Are you neet?

Who fucking cares. Take this shit back to /g/.

Currently? Yes, I will not lie. It was my fault for majoring in pure mathematics - I thought it would at least be of some use, but no, all I'm apparently worth for is flipping burgers.

H I D D E N G E M S

You can't find a reasonable job in tech with a pure maths degree? Isn't it very useful in algorithm design and things like that?

Working in "tech" today is a fate far worse than death, I will have no part of it. I know a boomer is going to call me "entitled" for that; I don't care.

Is this because of its main slogan could be "triple B" "Botnet, Bloat & Bullshit"?

More like botnet in beta at first, later turning into a full botnet at its peak. See also for further context.

Better yet, >>>/cuckchan/.

That and how many incompetent people are in this field (because that's where the money is). A big problem is that only about 15% of the population should be working cerebral white collar jobs, but *everyone* is told that white collar jobs are better (and I won't even deny that, but they're also not for the average IQ striver that wants to "have it made"). I'm no savant, just average; but I just will not deal with the current state of technology, Ted was right, industrialization breeds neurosis.

Attached: ted.png (150x200, 19.54K)

That comma was supposed to be a period.

I really liked those site-collecting services, where you could just "browse" the internet, not "search". Where the links were pointing to original content, not just clickbait.

Unless you're applying to some massive megacorp with some dumb cat lady HR woman, then I doubt this is true. I didn't even bother submitting references to HR and when they pestered me for them, my boss dismissed her: "No bother, he doesn't need them, you only need to talk to him to realize that." I landed my current job because I sat next to a guy on a plane who happened to be an executive at the company (looked him right in the eye and gave a strong handshake). Another good option is to attend tech conferences, while being at least somewhat known in that community (post on the mailing list, write a useful library, etc.), and you'll often startups and firms looking for a guy with your skills. It's much easier to hire people you've heard of, and word of mouth is still the best recommendation out there.

Networking is especially important in the business and finance world. People hire bright grads, people they've socialized with at functions, and the kids of their friends. It's literally the old boy network.

Some are still going, like dmoztools.

That's a fine degree, one of the more useful ones you can take. Think of it as just a certification that you have a certain threshold of intelligence. Remember, many people are not hired in the field in which they studied, which even applies to people who studied fields please clap. If it was a degree in "communication" or nigger studies, then yeah, I'd say it was only good for flipping burgers.

And if you're "crazy smart", here's your new career.
youtube.com/watch?v=xXVDi15kZvA (please delete Zig Forums logs if hired).