Quit classifying Gentoo as minimal!

"Gentoo never set out to be minimal" -Gentoo dev
OpenRC is the 2nd largest init system and Portage is the largest package manager in dependencies AND size. Don't get me wrong, I love Gentoo, but quit saying it's minimal! (It's like saying Arch is)

Attached: gentoo-logo.png (666x800, 119.4K)

Other urls found in this thread:

forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-971348.html.
github.com/gunrock/gunrock
researchgate.net/publication/220959845_A_Highly_Scalable_Solution_of_an_NP-Complete_Problem_Using_CUDA
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

why is gentoo's logo a sideways 9?

Arch is minimal. Gentoo is maximal.

20% larger than SysV init.
SystemD is 38 times larger than OpenRC.

If someone rewrote Portage in shell script/C/Pascal I might consider using it.

Alpine is true minimalism.
The only complaint I have is that the default kernel package pulls in tons of firmware packages, but I compiled my own kernel anyway so I don't care.

Alpine has dependency resolution. Not minimal

Doesn't Alpine also use OpenRC?
Not very minimal.

Enjoy having to do manual dependency resolution, then.

No, the init system isn't minimal. That is the only thing in the distro which isn't minimal. It can be replaced with runit though.

An erroneous claim.

The reason I like minimal stuff is because it's generally faster and uses less memory. If you fell for the microkernel meme then you can enjoy your slow message passing bullshit.

Fair enough. I might consider it for my laptop then; been meaning to switch from Void.

Attached: 2017-05-25-144021_1400x1050_scrot.png (1400x1050, 132.57K)

"Minimal" is used as a vague aesthetic. If you pinned it to a single reasonable definition people would move on to some other word.

Same reason here - I like being able to functionally use old machines (I don't even own a computer made after 2006). That said, the performance difference between Open/Net/DragonFlyBSD and Linux is not even notable anymore (and DFly actually outperforms it). So, I'd recommend switching unless you hate the license or something.

Attached: netbsd.jpg (1200x900, 154.61K)

Sorry, I'm an idiot and I quoted you in the subject field.

Are you aware that you can click a post number to insert it into the text field?

I'm posting from Lynx.

Why?

I don't think anyone is disputing the notion that Gentoo is much more "minimal" than mainstream distros like jewbuntu and Mint. You cannot, however, deny that Portage is slow as molasses when "calculating dependencies" and installing software (disregarding compile times). Alpine's apk package manager is literally orders of magnitude faster than CloverOS' emerge, even though both use binary packages.

I run a computer with an Athlon XP 2000+ on Alpine, and I honestly don't notice much of a difference in speeds between that and my laptop when I'm doing trivial shit on the CLI. Boot speeds are also reasonable, if I account for the fact that my laptop has an SSD.

I like it. Lynx and Links+ are my favorite browsers.

It's not an init system, unless you're talking about openrc-init. Also, source.
Yes, but no package manager even comes close to its functionalities (look at the stuff you can do in ebuilds and all the FEATURES in make.conf). But yeah, Python shit is slow and big.
Oh, you're just a retard, I see.

Bullshit of the highest order.
No, it's only the best BSD (and the one I'm looking the most at).

I am. Do you have any idea how many programs you have to compile in order to compile a simple fucking program? That shit snowballs and your /usr directory fills up fast. Gentoo can very easily become more bloated than Ubuntu. CloverOS is completely cherry picked. The moment you want to build something big like chromium or gnome, you've wasted gigabytes upon gigabytes of hard drive space.

I wish I could use links all the time. But unfortunately I use firecucks because I need to be able to do stuff like switch between tor and another proxy depending on which webpage I'm using, and I also need the redirector addon for onion websites, hooktube etc.
But god damn firefucks is a piece of shitware. When I first got my computer, I was using falkon and I thought I would never need more than 2gb of ram for anything. Now the piece of shit browser slowly increases RAM usage for no good reason until I'm swapping to disk, and that happens so often that I have written a script which monitors firecucks memory usage and kills/respawns it automatically once it reaches 4gb.

It is a critical part of the boot process. You won't get a gentoo system booted without it.
Is the main reason why portage is slow. If portage was written in Lua (for example) it would be way faster because of LuaJIT.

Have you tried it yourself? After OpenBSD 6.0/NetBSD 7.0 I have felt zero difference.
I remember Portmaster being good. (It's written entirely in shell script, too.) But, it requires that you use CorporateBSD, so...

I use Gentoo on one of my servers, and I used to use it on my main machine. On the server, disk usage was much less than on a stock lesbian install. On the main machine my disk usage was 3gb in /usr, after installing a DE, LibreOffice, GIMP and Falkon. On my current install of Alpine, disk usage is 1.5GB in /usr after installing a WM, GIMP and Firefucks.
Anyway the main reason why /usr gets big is because /usr/portage/distfiles contains a cache of all the source code ever downloaded. Most of that stuff is never used again, so I recommend clearing it frequently.

to appeal to ice fairies :^)

Portage is slow because Python is dogshit, but you might try to reduce the --backtrack. Honestly, I think that due to slotting, dependency solving might be a lot harder.

What would be the command to clean this, for future reference?

Also, emerge --unmerge takes multiple seconds to remove a package. apk del takes an unnoticeable amount of time to remove 53 fucking packages (just cleaned out my system).
rm /usr/portage/distfiles/*

That's just a matter of scope, emerge is a powerful package manager and dependency resolution is NP-Complete. See

What are you talking about, tardo? The sources aren't kept after compilation, only the compressed tarballs are. And other distros must also install all those small dependencies.

It's not, even if it's an important one. The real problem is this:
> find /usr/local/portage /usr/portage/ /var/db/repos -name '*.ebuild' 2>/dev/null | wc -l37455
The portage tree needs some version cleaning, but there are not enough volunteers.

If the source isn't found it automatically downloads it again, and there are no complaints?

Python is an objectively incorrect choice of language for such a package manager, then. I like emerge's features, but the fact that it's written in Python is unforgiveable.

Eat a dick faggot. Without cleaning anything it's fucking massive.

sudo eclean-dist -d

m8, it's minimal because I can entirely purge dbus, gtk3 and all that shit easily.

It is, but there paludis if you want.

Anyway, everyone should read forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-971348.html. Some dev explains the slowness and tl;dr it's expected

yep

This is why Python doesn't really make a difference in this case. What we really need is GPU-based dependency resolution.

github.com/gunrock/gunrock

researchgate.net/publication/220959845_A_Highly_Scalable_Solution_of_an_NP-Complete_Problem_Using_CUDA

These tarballs take up a few gigabytes on a few months old system, if not cleaned away. They are totally useless garbage for the most part, especially after the tarball gets out of date.

WHY the fuck do they have a dedicated tool for this when `rm' would suffice? This is systemd-tier levels of unnecessary special tools.

Some people don't have GPUs. Even people who do don't want to rev it up for fucking package management.
Package managers already exist which can handle dependencies in a reasonable time using a CPU. They are all written in a compiled language such as C.

When emerging binary packages, it still calculates dependencies, USE flags and slots. Everything takes exponentially more time to calculate in accordance to the complexity of your system and your /etc/portage/.

That said, I have 4100 packages and multiple portage trees, the dependency calculation of world finishes in under 3 minutes on my FX-8350, which is acceptable in my opinion.

emerge -epv world 169.15s user 2.50s system 99% cpu 2:52.60 total

Comparing Alpine to Gentoo is comparing apples to carbon nanotube based hypercubes.

spend less time wanking over package management and more time using the packages

Attached: $60 chromebook facebook machine.jpg (2448x3264, 1.81M)

I am. Feels nice having control of what gets installed on my system ;)

typical slackware hater

Stuff doesn't fucking work without its dependencies, you utter moron. It will be unable to load the shared libraries and will not start at all.
The only way to not have dependency resolution and also have your packages work without manually resolving dependencies is to compile it yourself. In other words, no package manager. While self-compilation of all packages is the most "minimal" way of managing them, I unfortunately don't have enough time to do that.

then why would there still be a cult following to slackware?
slackware is when you want true freedom with your package management. you're not gonna spend most of your time installing and removing packages if you're an average programmer like me. initial setup and your off, faster than any other distro (including your shitty alpine!) ;)

Quite the mememachine you got there pal.

You must install the dependencies which are required by your package. That is an absolute. Some """dependencies""" specified in distributions such as Jewbuntu aren't actually required, and this is a bad thing, but in Alpine this isn't the case.
As I said, if you compile all your packages manually, you can get around this to some extent, but that takes much longer than would be saved by your faster system. From an autistic point of view this is a good thing, but I don't have enough time to do that, and many people don't.
I hope you're trolling, then.

>actually falling for clover meme with rat botnet >>>/halfchan/
1/10 better be a bait you got from halfchan or...

trying too hard

Ding ding ding ding! We have a winner!

Little known fact: You can skip built-in dependency resolution entirely by using emerge -O. And then it'll be as fast as any other package manager because all the advanced features of emerge are gone.

If you want to get rid of the advanced features of emerge, just fucking compile it yourself.

Honestly, giving dfly ports USE flags functionalities and using synth to build might be a solution.

Because it can do a lot more.

Maybe that's the reason USE flags exists, to automatize the menial stuff Slacktards insist on doing manually.

emerge -O works.

Is it a "magic bullet" type solution? Can I add it to EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS?

no. portage is slow because it's slow

That's not a reason. What do you really mean? Do you mean that it's slow because it's badly written?
Python is a slow language. If you're doing intensive calculations with it you're likely to hit a point where you should move the bottleneck into a different language.

If you're an ex-Slackware user, I don't see why not. Might be fun, actually.

Then after a while of managing dependencies yourself, you'll get bored and whip up something that manages dependencies, which will get slower and slower due to NP-Complete and eventually you'll realize that you have reinvented Portage.

I honestly don't get why people still hug a language that does its best to emulate Java when they could just use Java and get a solid performance boost.

In which way?

Then don't emerge app-portage/gentoolkit, it doesn't even come with the base system.

Portage is bigger than everything else because it needs to be 10x as powerful as everything else to work with source code.