Debian thread

here we discuss the best linux distro

Attached: 1413002013049.jpg (1280x720, 158.54K)

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.debian.org/CreatePackageFromPPA
sourceforge.net/projects/miyolinux/
mxlinux.org
antixlinux.com/download/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Why.

Because this is /g/ 2.0 now.

debian is shit just like OP

ebin meem

Another distro thread? What is this, browser wars all over again?

Debian is shit for my usecase. Most of the packages that matter to me are outdated (yes, even in Sid) because the maintainers disappeared long ago, so anything that's not systemd or the kernel may as well be 3 years behind mainline, not even taking into account maintainers who pull stable versions of programs that go stable once in a blue moon (think Dolphin, for example) into Sid and call it a day, or those who actively ignore bug reports that can't just be solved by pulling from upstream or those who ignore wishlists that can be solved by changing a fucking compilation flag.

Then you have Debian's dumb, byzantine polytics, like the "no forks" policy, so you end up missing on the good stuff, like wine-staging (not like you would actually enjoy Gallium Nine if you had it because the Debian drivers do not support it) just because it is "just a fork", or their absurd bureaucracy just to be able to upload a single package.

Now, apt is shit. It's shit for a single reason: it has no overlays. So yes, you are stuck with whatever the maintainers want, because the alternative would be compiling your shit from source manually and enjoy the software breaking every time the header files bump up a minor version.

Debian is decent, and it used to be good around the time the systemd debacle began disclaimer: I actually like systemd, but it has since been slowly dying out due to missing maintainers. Debian is a dying distro and I can't wait to ditch it asap.

Aren't PPA's apittude's equivalent of overlays?

It's shit, though. I'm forced to use it at work.

I actually tried switching to Plebian and it was full of bloat programs. Mint was less bloated so I just went back.

I'm forced to use Windows 10 at work. Can we switch?

did you try debian minimal or netinstall?

I still use void even after what happened

It was a while ago, I think I just went to the official Debian site and downloaded the newest stable x64 iso.
I probably didn't do enough researc and downloaded a version I shouldn't have. but I'm moving to PubesOS anyway

Kind of, but good luck installing PPA on Debian, considering they are all for Ubuntu.
wiki.debian.org/CreatePackageFromPPA

This. People need to spend more time using the packages than arguing about who gives it to them. In the end, we're all using the free software operating system that spans across kernels, package managers and compilers.

Debian is nice. More for system admins since it rarely gets major released (about once a year) and uses systemd which normal users do not need

b-b-but muh systemd?!!?!1 DAE bloatards!!!!!!!!1

Install Devuan.

Come on lad Mint is even more bloated, and you probably installed one of the shitty official debian flavours with a full on DE.
Try MiyoLinux (Devuan variant in the form of a set of default packages and configs, no systemd or pulse) sourceforge.net/projects/miyolinux/
Or try a Debian-based desktop-oriented distro like MX-Linux mxlinux.org (Desktop oriented Debian-based distro with systemd only in the form of shims and pulseaudio by default)
Antix is also worth a mention but I haven't used it antixlinux.com/download/

Guess what, we'll disagree with each other, learn something new from it, and you can't do anything about that. Now leave.

No custom kernels required for Fedora, it just works™.

You're Ian Murdoch. You love your wife so much you put her name in your lifework. Debra + Ian = Debian. Debian. After 15 years she leaves you taking with her half of your money and a piece of your heart. Debian - Debra = Ian? Debian. She found a new lover immediately but after 6 years you still can't get over the divorce. You are alone. Worst of all? Every day at work you hear about 'Debian' and it reminds you of her. Debian Debian Debian. Then "Women in Open Source" start telling you everything is the fault of white men. Why aren't you doing anything for women in tech? Aren't you ashamed of your privilege you fucking cis-scum? And even with all your privilege you are alone. Debian Debian Debian Debian. Maybe at the bottom of the next bottle I'll find some solace. Debian Debian Debian Debian Debian Debian. Ian. Then the neighbor yells "Install Gentoo you fucking faggot!", you feel blind rage. Next thing you know a cop is strip-searching you, she's a woman. Her name is Deborah.

one of the sad tales of tech.

I don't like that he died but he brought it on himself.

I don't buy it.
The guy had no history of depression or other psychological troubles. His death was fishy as fuck and he was a potential target for the American alphabet soup organizations. Just saying.

Oh, so you're the biographer of Ian's mental health? Why didn't you speak up as his doctor to provide evidence?

It shocked me. While I didn't pay attention to him, but when I read about it, I watched it play out from his sending of the tweets, to people saying they are calling the police and ambulance because they are worried, to his sending his suicide tweet, to his being dead. It was over the course of an hour at the most. It was sudden and shocking to hear about it and see it happen.

CIA nigger pls

Suicide over an ex-gf is what melodramatic teenagers do who struggle in life. Ian wasn't a teenager, he had a successful career and he was a level headed guy who managed to make one of the most important open-source linux distributions. Just saying.

What exactly was Ian doing that would be a thorn in the side of an intelligence agency?

antiX's devs are the same as most of MX Linux's.

achshtually debian ishbs a bad dishstro and i will exahsaplain why
1. syshstemd
thankshs for listenishiising

sysv is so shit distros moved to systemd because of it. let that sink in
openrc is even worse. systemd is much, much better than most inits. i only prefer s6 over systemd because of the FEATURES it offers

this. fedora is fucking amazing

So what you're saying is that the way to prevent suicides in men is to get them to succeed in their career and-or get them to start an open source linux distribution? There you go, the psychology of suicide in men is solved just by giving them the feeling of success. Now this conclusive proves that Ian was murdered because there's no way he'd commit suicide being such a successful man.

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

Did you just list some of the things wrong with systemd and blame sysvinit for it?

stop bumping this

Wat

Not complying to their demands?
I could think of a lot of reasons why Ian would be useful to them.

Could you name one, keeping in mind he hadn't been involved with Debian for a long time?

devuan > debian

bump

Attached: 1435375835.jpg (665x720, 35.71K)

The story made no logical sense. If he legitimately killed himself then he had severe mental stability issues and needed professional help, people would have picked up on this in his life at some point. It was extremely strange.

Redhat CIA nigger shill detected

At least RedHat doesn't randomly modify OpenSSL...

I know what you are trying to do here, but I've got better things to do mr. CIA nigger.

How unstable is debian unstable? Debian doesnt have some of what I need and it's becoming kind of annoying.

Attached: 5.jpg (739x439, 246.06K)

u wot m8?

Attached: devuan_mustard_race.png (727x220, 12.68K)