Ubuntu

All memes aside, how good is Ubuntu as a desktop OS?
Any reason not to use it?
Does it still do the amazon spying shit?

Attached: serveimage.png (650x650, 125.45K)

Other urls found in this thread:

lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-devel/2018-February/040139.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Just use MXLinux

SYSTEMD

Maybe. You wouldn't know because proprietary crap.

It's fine, and it doesn't do the Amazon thing.
It has its flaws, but the main reason to avoid it is cool cid cred, not quality.

reason not to use it: slackware is a thing

No, Fedora is much better.

dnf is shit

canonical has never developed anything proprietary lol

Didn't it take them years to free launchpad, or something?

it's windows but for cheap assholes and curries
.deb is kanker
i still use it because of the high speed local mirrors, and newest kernels with power saving features

GNOME is shit so the only good Ubuntu distros are forks like Xubuntu and Kubuntu.

install gentoo

XDD

It's alright.
I use Ubuntu GNOME for computers at work, it's pretty solid and almost never has issues

It's OK as a mom/dad OS, if the hardware is supported by built-in drivers.
That is, it can just werk, and then you don't give root access to mom/dad and it'll be unlikely that they accidentally break shit.

Jewbuntu and it's forks are good in one way, and that is if you're a retard and you have a problem it's always easy to find the solution. It has a large community willing to really hold your hand at every minor step. If you use a niche distro you might have to actually think about how to fix something at some point.

it's linux

It's GNU/Linux.

Use Trisquel, perhaps.

Attached: stallman_quest.webm (500x281, 4.89M)

it's complete and utter garbage. any distro that is used by more than 10 people is reddit-tier.

Akkshtualy it's systemd/Linux

This. Two weeks with MX Linux and I can't complain at all.

Ubuntu is a fine OS for just getting this done. Fedora, and OpenSUSE are also good alternatives. Ignore the meme distros, they're a waste of your time.

- Has the systemDisease
- Developers are not against incorporating spyware into their OS (there has been more than the Amazon incident)
- Has a bad package manager. (eg. It's way too hard for users to create packages meaning they'll likely end up installing software without their package manager)

What's wrong with apt? As a long time Debian user I've never had issues with it

Users shouldn't be creating packages.

le epic meme!!

quit saying systemd is bad, it isn't. it's advanced and is a godsend for every sysadmin I've spoken to. I'm not sure why distros aimed at general usage use it but it's a great init system

I haven't done sysadmin work in several years, but I never felt like SysVinit was ever insufficient.

what's the diffrent between ubuntu and let say fedora? if i want to go kde what is a better pick between those two?

KDE is a buggy mess

All the good sysadmins moved to OpenBSD.

I tried MXLinux in a vbox. Everything worked but it was over 7GB fresh install. CPU and memory usage was high when doing normal web browsing. Do you get this? or was my copy hacked by CIA niggers?

Sure thing, faggot. Binary logs and a suite of interconnecting, co-dependent software is complicated and makes fags feel big brained-for using such an overengineered system but when it breaks, it breaks hard. Not to mention all the fucking retarded security bugs it gets and Lennart's equally retarded responses.

Fedora is more autistic about keeping their repos clear of patent encumbered codecs, and has a slightly more rapid release cycle. In edition to the regular release schedule, Ubuntu has long term support distros, which they'll maintain for several years, making it attractive for office computers and as a platform for commercial developers to target. While Fedora will say otherwise, they're very much in the GNOME camp. Ubuntu is also GNOME centric, but there is a KDE spin called Kubuntu.

If you want the best KDE experience, you should look at OpenSUSE. They offer 'Tumbleweed' which is a rolling release distro, and a LEAP which is their stable, long term support alternative. OpenSUSE supports GNOME too.

thx for value response. i will try your suggestions.

If you want to use something from the Ubuntu family, don't use vanilla Ubuntu. Use Xubuntu or Lubuntu. If you want KDE, use OpenSUSE. I would just use Debian if you want an easy distro with a lot of packages in the repos.

Ubuntu is bad distro imo.

This. Gentoo is unironically one of the better/sane distro choices.

Most of SystemDick shills just spreed FUD about traditional init scripts

But you can't use Fedora without RPM fusion. And SELinux is very annoying and incontinent, if you do software development.

I'd avoid Ubuntu proper for now until Canonical finishes helping to fix Gnome 3's shitty performance issues. But Xubuntu, Lubuntu, and Ubuntu Mate are all basically fine. Especially if you're they type that sticks to LTS releases for stability.

Attached: Screenshot at 2018-05-25 09-23-37.png (1920x1080, 941.22K)

If you have the hardware to support it, Trisquel 8 is a pretty reasonable 16.04 spin with Mate. I just hope the 18.04-based Trisquel 9 comes out as soon as they're claiming it will.

Attached: 5971e7cc-fe2c-4f7a-90e4-66f122c1e22e.png (1044x788, 865.93K)

False.

Gnome 3 is a disaster. Cinnamon is Gnome 3 made usable.

With 11 tabs of threads open and 1 hooktube video tab up it's using 1.23G of memory. I'm unsure if that's a lot. It certainly feels faster and more lightweight than any other normalfag entry level just werks distro I've tried.

There actually isn't a lot of need for Cinnamon now that Mate is using modern GTK. I think it's even developing faster too.

30 tabs open, 28 of which are imageboards. 3.4G/8G. I'm using firecucks because it still has some addons I want, and chromium doesn't have good proxy support.

why suse over kubuntu?

Bootstrap, Windows 8 and Gnome 3 are the evil trio. Their "influence" will fuck up software for decades.

Kubuntu inherently has all faults of Ubuntu (that aren't specific to GNOME) and OpenSUSE has best KDE support that I have seen (or """Experienced"""). OpenSUSE + KDE just werks.

Attached: kde opensuse.png (600x500, 78.74K)

In other words, if you want to do something other than make your computer just work in your free time, use Ubuntu.

lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-devel/2018-February/040139.html
That data would include:
* Ubuntu Flavour
* Ubuntu Version
* Network connectivity or not
* CPU family
* RAM
* Disk(s) size
* Screen(s) resolution
* GPU vendor and model
* OEM Manufacturer
* Location (based on the location selection made by the user at
install). No IP information would be gathered
* Installation duration (time taken)
* Auto login enabled or not
* Disk layout selected
* Third party software selected or not
* Download updates during install or not
* LivePatch enabled or not

And what about gentoo, nigger?
Is it reddit-tier too for you then?

Lurk moar. Somebody asks similar questions about Ubuntu every couple of weeks.

It's fine.
Lots, but if you can't think of any, they don't apply to you, so don't worry about it.
No.

install ubuntu, fgt

Distros are social construction.

It is fucking meme-tier garbage. just run htop on a stock install OP. Look at all the shit.

Devuan is a great replacement for Debian. You can even install OpenRC on Devuan (selected advanced install) which is really nice.

It really is. I installed it and have not even seriously considering switching distros on my desktop since. It really is able to fill all your niche needs. Portage is one of the most brilliant inventions of the world.

what if my name starts with a number though?

GNU/Linux isn't for niggers

You can start writing all your numbers with letters.

Ubuntu is becoming spyware as of latest version. I like Gentoo but I don't like the stupid long installation process and putting my cpu to 100% utilization for hours compiling software. I pay for my electricity. If I forget a use flag oh well another few hours of recompiling. Any Gentoo based distros without the long installation and compilation process?

What have they done now?

this

i tried using it some time ago on some old noteboook but it bricked my computer by the second day after installing the non-free audio codecs and the exfat driver.

What does OpenSUSE have that Ubuntu doesn't? I'm on Xubuntu now, and I want to install Lubuntu on my new rig one they adopt LXQt completely, but I've been hearing a lot from OpenSUSE lately. Please spoonfeed me.

Comfy package manager and an extensive GUI system config tool.

Attached: wise parasite.mp4 (1280x720, 11.91M)

sauce on anime?

Franxx

thanks user