/PPC/ PowerPC General

General discussion about PowerPC computers, mainly Macs

General info:
-Cheap as fuck
-PowerBook G4's and iBook G4's have their CPU'S SOLDERED. MOBO's are cheap though
-It's not x86 (which is a good thing)
-Great keyboards. Apple used to produce some A-grade keyboards (on par with classic thinkpad keyboards)
-powermac g5's are absolute powerhouses. beats the shit out of core 2 quads. ram upgradeable to 16gb. less noisy than modern computers ;)
-If you get one I highly suggest getting a Mac one. Apple, despite being shit these days, produces a shitton of parts for all their products. If something goes wrong, you can fix it with little cost
-Again, CHEAP!
-iBook G4 slightly less powerful PowerBook. RAM upgradeable to 1.5gb. A bit more common, and a bit less money. I'd go with a PowerBook
-PowerBook G4's ram can be upgraded to 2gb

OS choices:
-OpenBSD
-NetBSD*
-FreeBSD, despite being cuck'd, probably supports PPC the best of any OS
-Gentoo*
-Vine Linux (Japanese distro)
-Debian Netinst/Ubuntu Server*

*netbsd is less secure than most bsd's. although it probably will support powerpc throughout its entire life because that's the projects main goal, support as many architectures as it can

*gentoo has you compile everything from source. on an old powerpc this can be extremely long and time consuming, it will definetely benifet from the speed boosts after the compiles though

*debian/ubuntu use systemd which might slow it down, ubuntu has snaps enabled which might slow it down. will most likely drop support soon

USE A WINDOW MANAGER. Every desktop environment uses 300+ mb of memory, which'll definetely impact anything less than 2gb of memory. I recommend a tiling window manager

RESOURCES
everymac.com/systems/apple/powermac_g5/index-powermac-g5.html
everymac.com/systems/apple/powerbook_g4/index-powerbook-g4.html
everymac.com/systems/apple/ibook/index-ibook.html

Attached: PowerBookG4.jpg (1200x854, 87.86K)

Other urls found in this thread:

powerpc-notebook.org/en/
setphaserstostun.org/power9/POWER9_um_OpenPOWER_v20GA_09APR2018_pub.pdf
morphos-team.net/downloads
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hollywood_(graphics_chip)
techpowerup.com/gpudb/1918/gamecube-gpu
hitmen.c02.at/files/yagcd/yagcd/
github.com/dolphin-emu/dolphin/tree/master/Source/Core/VideoCommon
8ch.net/tech/ddg.html
phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=power9-talos-2&num=1
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

forgot to mention tons of ports

those powerbook cases were made of some really low quality plastic.

Attached: apple.png (788x193, 57.01K)

Anyone running gentoo on a g5 tower? How many days of compiling am I looking at? I have a g5 but for some reason openbsd's magic boot block thing won't boot it, so I guess I wil try gentoo next.

According to Phoronix, it looks like you're looking at an hour for the kernel itself, so you might want to set a day aside.

Put a day aside. A full install of Gentoo on my X230 took 16 hours straight

Contributing with this:
powerpc-notebook.org/en/

meant to respond to OP

Is this what the final product is supposed to look like? Why can't we have something more industrial?

Attached: product.jpg (1920x1144, 159.57K)

It's nice to see freetards finally putting their money where their mouth is. First the Talos 2 is successfully shipping, and now those open laptops are getting funded. Might actually pick up a Power Mac or a Talos when I've got the cash to spare.

How usable would a (quad-core) PowerMac G5 be if I were to max out the RAM, and add a better GPU?

As a space heater or computer? About as usable as a Core2Quad. Unless you really have an itch to scratch, I wouldn't get any of the old PPC/POWER stuff. Save up for a Talos II lite.

considering that you can edit 720p videos and watch a 480p twitch stram on a core 2 duo I'd say that's more than enough

Yeah, my main computer is a T60 ThinkPad. I just was hoping to get something (without the ME) that could play 1080p video.

A Core2Duo wont slurp up 300watts per hour. I'm not trying to keep you from purchasing a Quad G5, but you need to be fully aware of what you're getting into.

I'm really hype for the Talos II lite. Is there documentation how PPC boots up?

PowerPC? It used open firmware. The POWER9 arch that's in Talos II Lite uses a Secure Boot process.
setphaserstostun.org/power9/POWER9_um_OpenPOWER_v20GA_09APR2018_pub.pdf chapter 24

my core2duo p8xxx can playback 1080p animu flawlessly and that's with an arch linux with intel and kernel configuration.
haven't tried the ck kernel but that should remove the frames lag when moving files and watching vids at the same time

that's also with a dual channel 4GiB memory. 2GiB or 1GiB+1GiB lags as fuck

OP here. I can't find any info on if the PowerBook/iBook series had an open souce BIOS. Anyone got any info for me?

Attached: sakamoto_bored.jpg (1280x720, 67.31K)

The T60 has a Merom (first generation) C2D - it does not have the ME, which is why I use it.

bump

Hello, PowerPC brothers.

Attached: 2018-05-29-190221_1920x1080_scrot.png (627x358, 142.02K)

Elastic demand probably.
Jacking up the price will easily turn a lot of users off of such a niche product+ they need to make sure they can produce more and are able to support themselves for a version 2.

What's wrong with the pic?
It's as no bullshit rectangle with rounded edges.

That's because they don't. It looks like coreboot dropped PowerPC years ago, and a quick search didnt find anyone using u-boot on them.

If you got a Radeon why not run the best amiga-like os out there?
morphos-team.net/downloads

Attached: morphos_3_10__screenshot_by_walentywalewski-dbvpgj5.jpg (2560x1440, 482.4K)

This screenshot was taken with a camera
What the fuck is up

Are you literally inbred?

Attached: scr.png (577x689, 50.59K)

why are you using that bloated shit on such a tiny little guy? install openbsd or void

not my desktop, probably taken at a convention

Attached: af-classic-support-rom-3-1-1536x1024.jpg (1536x1024, 500.65K)

Pretty gay tbh. Over 20 years since C= went belly-up, and these chucklefucks do jack all except sell kickstart roms. None of them even helped to improve emulation or FPGA clones, and the custom chips are still not fully reverse-engineered. Dumb Amiga users with too much money like to spend money on "Amiga products" though, like it even means anything. Sad.

tis true - it's a fine line between nostalgia and madness

That's a wii, it can't run a BSD. Only linux. Wii-linux-ngx provides you with a working kernel that accesses the init on a different SD partition, so It can basically run any distro with support for the outdated kernel. The guy who made it has a prebuilt debian image.
Yeah I know, just running top eats 30MBs of RAM. No idea how the debian guys managed to do that.
I might get a gentoo stage3 in there later, I just need to set up qemu so I can emulate powerpc and add wpa_supplicant to the stage3 because otherwise I won't have an internet connection on the wii and accessing it will be annoying.
Also need to get my head around compressing the portage tree because that shit is huge at 600MB and I'm running a 1536MB big partition. It's all text so it compresses easily and there are some guides on the gentoo forums but they're not very good.

Attached: 2016.gif (775x85, 21.45K)

How's MorphOS or the usual Amiga-likes run these days? I'd consider one for fucking around with it.

oh, i was gonna get rid of my g5 since it's only single core @ 1.6, but is there anything fun i can do with it? how fast are PCI X network cards?

I run MorphOS on a 1.33GHz PB and it's fine for what it is. Easily the bescht "Amiga" out there but #1 license is rather expensive #2 useless for current year shit

Attached: tape.jpg (1394x922, 436.93K)

It takes almost a week to `emerge -e @world` on my screenless powerbook g4. It's great!

Put /usr/portage/ into its own ZFS dataset then do `zfs set compression=gzip poolname/datasetname` mang!

Art thou shitting me?

Don't have ZFS support.
it would be perfect if it was possible to mount compressed disk images, I'm sure people other than a ricer with a wii would want that.
squashfs would be 10/10 if it had write support.

Attached: 2018-05-31-114703_1920x1080_scrot.png (441x417, 120.66K)

No. ZFS requirements are greatly overstated IMO. Worked great for a couple years on a single HDD 32-bit P4 HT Prescott CPU in a Dell, with a gig of RAM (zfs.zfs_arc_max set to 64 megs on boot line).

You have to unmask it and compile it in senpai!

Hey,
yeah I might actually pick up a wii very soon since I wanted to udpate and debloat the kernel for it.
So I might succeed but I'm not sure, I'll just link my github here if I did.

Attached: 5b474ad6b7b4f41f66ad93c442529bb42931d19632829642009d7aae2aa98db3.jpg (1200x900, 147.54K)

Does it have any hardware acceleration for OpenGL?

user, look at the screenshot on

No acceleration, just framebuffer support.

Theoretically, would it be possible for someone with enough determination to write an OpenGL driver for its GPU?

I don't know. It has an ATI gpu, and there doesn't seem to be much more info around. Wikipedia says it's based on the gamecube GPU, which would make sense because it's at least backwards compatible with the gamecube. If you're lucky it's based on a GPU with a working free software driver that you can repurpose.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hollywood_(graphics_chip)
techpowerup.com/gpudb/1918/gamecube-gpu
hitmen.c02.at/files/yagcd/yagcd/

github.com/dolphin-emu/dolphin/tree/master/Source/Core/VideoCommon
would be another good resource

non-ppc user posting here. If you have the right compiling options, is linux or any other unix slow on ppc macs? I have this connotation of still using ppc and it being very slow compared to even using say a 2002 laptop of similar pricing.

Linux is a kernel and that's not the proper usage of "connotation". If you're talking about Linux in itself, it varies on the model. GNU/Linux can vary tremendously depending the software you install, since a lot of contemporary software takes advantage of modern requirements. I would worry more about battery life and driver support

Back when Apple used PPC and it was being actively worked on, it was very speedy. It hurts when people rip altivec code out of their projects due to having nobody being able to maintain it. It hurts having KMS fucking up videocard drivers. It has probably been a decade since PowerMacs had working and stable OpenGL. This is why I suggest people get a Talos II if they're going to go this route. On average, modern Linux on a Raspberry Pi 3 will be faster than any single core Apple PPC machine.

Idk, installing Ghantoo to my quad right now

Can't buy the Talos like that.

What?
Gentoo is a source distribution. Cross compile a stage 3 targeted at ppc64le.

That's not what I mean (and that's a pain). If you get a problem with a package, you're left to your own devices.

This is from a Gentoo AMA

mattst88

Well, that's a vicious circle. Maybe when sub 1500$ POWER machines start appearing.

You can probably run any linux distro with 64 bit PPC support. But I guess you probably have a better computer that can do desktop work better without consuming 500w+ of power.
One way or another it's still a working computer, so you should hoard it.
I think the higher end powerpc macs have a nice premium because there is no good emulator for them, so sell it maybe.
I don't know but I doubt their bus will be a bottleneck.

How's AmigaOS 4.1 in comparison?

I have an old 10Gb/s PCI-X network card (Neterion XFrame 2) in my basement. Unfortunately it lacks features like TCP offloading and VLAN tagging, so unless you're using your G5 as a plain file server, you won't be going over a Gbit.

argh i think i mustve messed up the g5 while switching the timer battery, i hope it is still alive

aren't these things meant to be reliable, with all those solid capacitors and all?

Pretty sure one of the CPUs in my PM G5 died, is there a good source for replacements?

eBay my nigger

I have a 440mhz Powermac g4 with 1GB of ram. What's the best I can do with it? I might just sell it, I need the cash.

You're better off selling it but that CPU + amount of RAM are good enough for a commandline system.

Keep that shit.

300 watt hours. Thank you captain autismo.

It always triggers me when faggots point this. Like the assholes that chime in with "EXCUSE ME U MEAN FEWER", every single time. Yes user we have heard it before.

Why don't you have a tower of POWER?

Attached: 20180615_112119.jpg (4160x3120, 4.65M)

TALOS II LITE
Board is $1,100
This means entry is now $1,475

Attached: boardlarge.png (1500x1000, 1.04M)

Frankly one socket seems to be quite enough, two sockets is more for engineers and other eggheads.

Yeah if they want to push this as a desktop PC release a single socket version. Otherwise it's a workstation/server.

Attached: CuckCuckGo.png (1701x8000, 1.86M)

While I would reccomend against using DDG. There are flaws with this picture, which could make tohers not take it seriously.
nginx is just a web server. Just the fact they are using it, does not mean they have it configured as a SSL termination proxy.
99% of the time when you use a SSL termination proxy (imo pointless now adays) the server you are proxying the request for is on the same network as you. It would be stupid for them to send it to a separate datacenter due to the latency involved.
Yes, if you send your useragent to a web server, it can read it. Just because it is serving you a page with your useragent, it doesn't mean that it ever touched the disk.
Same as above
I guess if DDG used a third party service for geoip they could tell when you searched that as the third party service would be getting your ip from a DDG ip. If you are wroried about that, don't search that.

8ch.net/tech/ddg.html

If the Lite is supposed to be a regular desktop PC then they shouldn't make the board look so fucking hideous. At least cover the empty space with something.

Gamers not allowed

Hating SSL termination proxy is 89iq polnigger retardation, like hating on cloudflare for example. DuckDuckGo is a pretty big website in terms of userbase and availability, they use geographically-collocated servers that act as SSl terminals between inner network and outside internet.

I'm talking about the space where the extra CPU and memory slots used to be.

What did you expect? That they are going to put some laser cut emblem on it? The only thing that's going to accomplish is raise the price.

An ATX-sized board for example?

It's a board. It should only go as far as being a board.
If you want bling stick a golden bar up your ass.

So you're saying it needs more RGB? Maybe a big plastic plinth covering the functional parts of the board with words like WYLD RAZORX or something?

Why? What do you gain from making it pretty?
You're going to probably put it in a case, why do you want some faggoty art when you can save like $4 instead? This crap is expensive enough.

In every single market whenever a vendor puts some bling in their product they jack up the prices severely.
"Want your car in a 50 dollar paintjob? Sure, just pay 2000 dollars!"

That would entail having to design and produce an entire new board, whereas in this case they just have to tell the machine to not place some components.
Not perfect but I could live with it.

must be those retards with cases that have windows

POWER might as well not even have AVX. Nobody's using it.
phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=power9-talos-2&num=1

I have a ppc in the mail right now coming to me, an iMac G5 what should I put on it for an os? BSD, Linux, or MorphOS?

I hope you didn't spend much on it. I wanna say Fedora and OpenSuSE still have ppc64 support. Old Stable (Jessie) was the last Debian version to do ppc64. You will probably have KMS issues no matter which distro you use. It might be better to try a BSD since their software hasn't changed as radically as it has on Linux. The "free" Adobe Creative Suite version 2 will work on PPC Macs if you do decide to try OSX. You could probably find Final Cut Pro and Maya for PPC as well.

I take it back. Fedora is only POWER 5 through 8. OpenSuSE only supports ppc64le like Debian now. Stick with OSX or BSD.

So which BSD is recommended? I heard something about one of them maybe having Systemd creep. All I want is something that I can set i3 up on for shitposting but not have systemdildo in the background. FreeBSD seems cucked, OpenBSD is where I heard about the systemd creep, and the rest of them are far beyond anything I know how to deal with considering I've only used loonix so far.

Why can't freetards code for a shit? OS X 10.5 was fully featured tearing free composited desktopenvironment and ran just fine on 512Mb of RAM

Attached: 1454737890940.jpg (582x582, 63.76K)

Someone just gave me a Powerbook G4 to play with! I've tried installing OpenBSD and Gentoo. First things that I've noticed:
OpenBSD: Screen turns yellow if I switch to a terminal with ctrl+alt+f1 and back. WPA2 Enterprise not supported out of the box.
Gentoo: needs additional firmware to use wifi.
Currently I can't use anything other than this wifi that I have here. I'll try more tomorrow!

I really recommend you get OS X 10.4 fully patched and applications compatible with it. Both easily found. Makes life fun. You get to use iTunes that doesn't suck and old iPhoto is just incredible.

The systemd people are trying to get systemd on BSD. None of the BSDs come with systemd out of the box.

My 1.5GHz G4 has Broadcom Wifi which does require proprietary firmware to work. You should be able to find on the interwebs.

So whats the likelihood they overtake BSD with that crap? And is Vine Linux any good? I tried installing it on a x86_64 processor system a few times and it kept failing during the install. I think they also have a lot of systemd creep.