Change my path

So I am a developer.

By most standards a pretty good one at that, with a decent career, job situation and salary (not a huge salary, but nothing to complain about).

The thing is I am slowly but surely going insane being stuck in the enterprise world as a consultant. So the short version is that I am looking for a way out, preferably with economic freedom, and more time with the kids (and more/any time to do the stuff that I want to do in my currently non-existing spare time).

I am a good techie - been working as tech lead and/or architect in most of my projects the last decade, and the people I work with, both clients and co-workers like me.

I am horrible at sales (can't lie with a straight face) and have borderline severe authority issues (though I try to keep that in check, and rather let it fester inside and eventually grow into a tumor I suppose).

Are there anyone there that could give me some directions cause I am at a loss. But I know if I keep on with this 8-5-every-fucking day year after year I'll be an alcoholic before I hit 42.

Any advise is greatly appreciated

Attached: shit.jpg (962x641, 255.47K)

You could try spicing it up with some contracting. It teaches you new skills as you can lie about what you know then learn from their projects. It's refreshing and also opens doors. Even if you lack the domain knowledge, most areas of software development are so desperate for good core programmers that it doesn't matter. I contracted in game dev on a large unity project without knowing anything about unity development and was able to solve a lot of the big issues that had gone unsolved for years as debugging some shitty C# scripting is easy mode compared to the work I'm used to in networking.

I second that. Contract here and there for a few months at a time.
In addition to what user mentioned, you'll also network with more people which will help you towards your exit plan: find competent people to start your own business with. That's really the only way to escape being put out to pasture as a developer when you get old af. You need to become the CTO of your own company or something. If you know anything about blockchains/crypto, there's a lot of innovation happening in that space. EOS is the coolest thing I've seen since ETH and there's a lot of projects popping up around it. As a dev you should always be thinking about some idea for your own business as you're already equipped to build it or direct a team to do so.

Kill your boss

t. CIA

Join the AirForce, they're always looking for technical people.

(checked)

How does one find contract work? Do cold letters with code work? What if a person doesn't have a github or other account?

Join Uncle Ted's Cabin in the Woods, and try not to get Ruby Ridge'd

t. also CIA

Attached: 社畜 or else.jpeg (2179x1564, 660.88K)

Did you not read the OP? He doesn't want a 8-5-every-fucking-day job.

You said you wanted to change your path, the military will be a good shakeup for you.

Must be desperate for competent programmers to fix the fuck ups of the f35 if the chair force is shilling on Zig Forums of all places.

Did you know they even raised their age limit to 39?

Also I'll fix the F-35 for Lockheed, but I'm going to need a billion dollars and we'll start from scratch in Ada.

Wow! I thought someone was describing my life haha. Except for the kids, I'm at the same place as you. I'm trying to establish myself as a freelancer, but its being hard and the earnings are 1/3 I get from enterprise world.

You unironically would be the sanest person in the chair force.

Attached: f40142ff53a7955eea89a9b9037e4fbb59d2696712a6fd9c33510c56a474e1be.jpg (292x257, 15.48K)

Attached: Cartoon_Military_Infantry_Rangers_airforce.jpg (550x627, 64.71K)

how much do you make? why not tell some fellow anons?

OP here. I make 775000NOK at the moment, it is about (with a weak ass NOK) 98 000USD

Heh yeah that would make the authority-issues way better. Thanks though

I thought about freelancing, but I know a couple that do that and they have a real hard time getting proper work to do. Business favors a team when they want tech-problems solved, not a lone geek.

OP here - thanks, I agree. My current contract prohibits side-work in competing areas but there should be ways to get around that. I know a few people already, so the main thing that's missing is the brilliant startup-idea...

And I am 37. This might be an onset of midlife-crisis perhaps

Time for you to be replaced anyways. We've got new biracial gender queer millennials who can do all your enterprise C#/Java in really cool languages like Javascript, Ruby and Python in like a fraction of the lines, and they do it on an iPad! This is the new generation of kids who don't have to program with the limited resources in mind. Isn't it amazing?

I actually spent a year in the AirForce when I was 19. It looked like the place developers went to die. It was chill though

Probably because they still needed programmers who could understand fortran and real programming languages, which is going to attract an older crowd. I imagine those same coders you saw then are still there.

You should get into ransomware development.
That way you would have a passive income, allowing you to spend all the time you want with your family.
You could also consider moving in a country with a weaker currency, finding a remote job, and work as little as you want.

Not OP, but I've always wondered how they cash out cleanly. Let's say you haul $5 million in bitcoin, how do you turn it into real money, whilst evading detection from every government in the world?

It's probably not much different than regular money laundering. i.e. Selling dirty money for clean money or a creating a business front and every so often make a purchase to yourself with dirty money.

Hah yeah im training a couple of young trangenders at the moment, I'm not super worried bout those replacing me just yet. ..and Ruby? Really?

Ruby might be starting to slide out of fashion, as the Rails generation grows older. To be honest, I think this type of nu-coder is just a javascript emitter.

so what's your expertise? describe it in as few as 5 words then do you have a team?

>spare time to make someting related with job
that's not how it usually works. if you accidentally invent something during your job time, the company will seize it then patent it if that's part of the contract. too risky unless you're currently NEET then it's fine.

you only do that indie dev stuff if:
your passion gauge is full
^ so you won't chicken out later and regret leaving your 8-5
you have connections with the right people (from job experience(s) )
..and it's the right time (they're all available and don't have many issues)
all of you would work toward the same goal
a really good ENTJP-reneur ideasfag
engineers that can showcase a prototype before the crowd loses interest or someone else does same shit and finish faster

kickestarter/indiegogo once you're ready
the magic word here is 'product'

"product that will sell" or "8-5"

OK, so why in the world do you even need to work with that salary? Get 1M USD, move somewhere cheap and do whatever you feel like doing for the rest of your life.

If you don't know what to do with your life help ReactOS become better.

An hero, it's already too late.